Reserved Seats Behind the Stage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You might struggle to get in a D70, it all depends on your spy-skills and security at the venue. I saw people with SLRs around me in both seats and GA at all of my gigs, but maybe America is more strict about this?

a D70 with a pancake lens might be doable... I dunno.

Sitting behind the stage?

So, I'm only just now getting tickets for the LA show, and it's looking like I could spend a lot of money for "traditional" seats (GA or directly facing on the stage), or could spend a lot less--and thus afford moichendise, a nice dinner out beforehand, etc.--and sit directly behind the stage. The show is supposed to be presented in "360", after all...

Has anyone here sat directly behind the stage? Is it worth it? The tickets would be about a third of the way up, so they're not nose-bleed or so low I'd be staring at the underside of Larry's stool or anything. I'm mostly concerned with:

- Do the guys ever come around to the back for more than a few seconds as they walk by (aside from Larry, obviously)?
- How hard is it to see the screen?
- Anything else that's a pro or a con?

Thanks guys.

I've been behind the stage, but only in arenas. I am behind the stage Wednesday night. I understand Larry's drum riser spins a couple of times during the show (usually during the wild card songs)

SMB

So, I'm only just now getting tickets for the LA show, and it's looking like I could spend a lot of money for "traditional" seats (GA or directly facing on the stage), or could spend a lot less--and thus afford moichendise, a nice dinner out beforehand, etc.--and sit directly behind the stage. The show is supposed to be presented in "360", after all...

Has anyone here sat directly behind the stage? Is it worth it? The tickets would be about a third of the way up, so they're not nose-bleed or so low I'd be staring at the underside of Larry's stool or anything. I'm mostly concerned with:

- Do the guys ever come around to the back for more than a few seconds as they walk by (aside from Larry, obviously)?
- How hard is it to see the screen?
- Anything else that's a pro or a con?

Thanks guys.

Night One in ChiCLAWgo had GA's we got inside circle/pit six rows back Adam's Side

Night Two in ChiCLAWgo we had Section 353 dead center behind the stage & it was TEN TIMES better being there don't ask me why but it was perfect!

View & Sound were terrific ..... we were surrounded by mature individuals the whole night:up::up:

My advice relax as much as you can have a nice dinner so forth & so on get to the stadium about 6p.m. to allow enough time to park & walk inside to be in your seats if you get them by say 6:45p.m. ish

We sat behind the stage at Chicago 1. View of the stage wasn't too bad. The band did try and make their way to the back several times. I myself did watch the giant screen quite a bit, so for me it was like being right up front.

I sat behind the stage for Boston2 and althought I had a good time, I would not sit behind the stage again.

You have to ask yourself if youre someone who feeds off the energy the band gives out and how much you need to feel that interaction to reach "lift off". For me, I could see that the crowd and band were reallyhyped on Monday night, but I didnt feel part of it from behind. Dont get me wrong, they do make appearances back there, but they are fleeting. You are technically closer but when they spend most of their time in front of the stage, their equipment does block them some. I got to see them from the front on Sunday & I had a much better experience.

Thats my frank assessment.

well that's pretty much the view I have for tonight, but then again I am going so my 9 year old daughter can have an opportunity to scream at the top of her lungs, so it was probably a wise choice vs. GA tix. I dont mind if Bono ignores me, in fact I kinda prefer it that way lolz.

well sorry to say.. .. ..

The seats were a huge disapointment and they shouldnt have been since this is supposed to be the 360 tour and there is this huge bombastic stage set up to accomodate that concept that's using 200 trucks and costing a small fortune every day to maintain. I really felt the band was pandering to the concept of the 360 degrees and it's really too bad because they DID pull it off for a few seconds at the end of one of the first few songs - just for a moment - each member was playing to a different part of the stadium and all were one, it was really remarkable! Then they went and re grouped in the front of the stage and sadly stayed there for most of the rest of the show, which basically amounts to false advertising if you ask me. They sounded great, the music, which matters most, was really tight (as it should be, some of these songs are 20 years old) and Bono's voice I thought was is awesome form. WHY he had to introduce mayor bloomberg is beyond comprehension to me, it was completely annoying. But the big stage, the trek out to new jersey and back, and watching either their asses or the TV Screen, which I can do at home, I could live without all that happily. I will not go to another U2 show unless I get GA floor tix, period.

The BIGGEST surprise for me was MUSE. They completely rocked. I think I will remember their performance longer than U2's to be honest. Then again, there seemed to be 78,998 others people there who probably would disagree with me on that.

how is it false advertising? they said from the get go the tickets would be behind the stage. personally, i sat behind the stage for chicago 1 and liked the experience. granted, yes, they hardly paid attention to the area behind the stage, but it's the price to pay (no pun intended) for sitting there. the tickets were cheap. i should add too i was in the 300 level, so yeah i would've been more upset if i were behind the stage in the 100 level. so i'm rambling basically and this post has no point. :)

No no no !! No offense but look everywhere -- it's supposed to be a 360 degree show it was called the 360 tour and the show was billed as everyone having a clear view from every angle. the band's highly choreographed performance, and one only needs to to look at u tube to see it's basically the same thing every night, barely pays lip service to this idea, it wasnt 1 percent of what it could have been. So I was left wondering why waste the time, energy, money, manpower to make this huge gluttonous monstoristy if the band werent going to fullfill their promise with their performance. Jesus, the bay city rollers in 1976 had a square stage where they REALLY did play to all sides - mostly to sell more tickets, and surely this was U2's motive as well, on top of the fact that these guys go all out and dont do anything half way. But dont get me wrong, I thought the show was awesome, it just wasnt at all what I expected based on what they promised, and thus it was the basically the same as if the stage had been square except for tiny moments here and there which hardly justified the stage set up. I'm not bitter, I was just hugely disapointed in that aspect of it, and it was far from the historical ground breaking performance I though it would have been and AGAIN: It COULD have been because they DID pull it off once during the set, but I wonder if they were aware (or even care) what a huge waste this thing was? I mean look at the times we live in - people are out of work and unemplyment is really high, and people are being frugal not excessive all over the world -- this stage and the fact that it's basic functionality was lame I though kinda was U2 thumbing it's nose and the global socio-economic crisis, an appauling gesture really, and an excessive self induldgent attempt at remaining relevant and impressive.. .. .. But there shouldnt have been any "behind the stage", the stage was supposed to be circular, 360 degrees, and the performance should have been, all night - why else bother with this huge stage? I didnt go to see a round stage lolz, I went to see a round performance, and that would have been so awesome. I dont mean every band member facing me all night lolz, I mean the band playing to all of the stadium for all 23 songs. You get my point now? That would have been so amazing and unforgetable, trully. But it didnt even come close to happeneing and it's a shame cus they could have done it. SOrry now it's me that's rambling, but I think I have a point, and U2, as awesome as they are, really deserve to be called out on this. If anyone could have pulled this off it was U2, and they had the concept, the resources, and the expectation was set up. Why did they crawl back into thier shells on it? I just dont get it. Did they get shy or something? lolz jk.

OH and one more thing - I am 100% positive I am not alone in this thinking, even if I dont get any back up on this forum, as many of the people around us were expressing the same anticipation before the show and the same disapointement durring and after, so I think it was the expectation U2 set up for the fans, not something we misinterpreted or misunderstood. But nevertheless, I have been following U2 since the release of BOY and I must say they have never sounded better to me and that's what it's all about, always has been, and regardless of what other expectation they set up, it always will be. It's just had I known this wasnt going to be a 360 experience, I would have got the GA tix, or something off to the side facing the front.

and it's been common knowledge forever that u2 largely play to the front of the house no matter if it's 360 degrees, 180 degrees or 2 degrees.

i had different expectations behind the stage, and i felt they were completely exceeded. if you want to watch u2, go for ga. it's as simple as that. if you want to watch the show, the seats are fine. i thought that was also pretty common knowledge around here, i guess not.

No no no !! No offense but look everywhere -- it's supposed to be a 360 degree show it was called the 360 tour and the show was billed as everyone having a clear view from every angle. the band's highly choreographed performance, and one only needs to to look at u tube to see it's basically the same thing every night, barely pays lip service to this idea, it wasnt 1 percent of what it could have been. So I was left wondering why waste the time, energy, money, manpower to make this huge gluttonous monstoristy if the band werent going to fullfill their promise with their performance.

The 360 concept refers to the fact that they are surrounded on all sides by the audience. That's it. Calling the tour U2 360 was never a guarantee that they would be playing to all sides equally. When they play 360 in arenas, they favor the front, so I’m not sure why so many people thought this tour was going to be any different.

I sat behind the stage at NJ1 and loved the seats. I will say that I was second row in the upper level and it did seem to me that some of the seats behind the stage in the lower level almost seemed too low to get a good view of everything. But in terms of where the band was facing, I knew going in that it was going to be away from me for the majority of the show.

For those that say sitting back stage was cheaper...... I paid $117 to sit back there. I dont really consider that a "cheap seat". Cheaper than $250, yes, but cheap? No. I didnt correlate anything with the price.
I was bummed sitting back there, but I dont think everyone is. For me personally I learned I like to feed off the energy of the crowd & band. I like to see where the band is and what they are doing. From back there, you miss out on this. Mb if they did an entire song back there would make up for it? I really dont know. Im glad they do make their fleeting appearances but I would rather just see them from the front. In choosing the tickets, I knew they spent very limited time back there, but I thought Id be seeing them on the main stage from a closer angle, so would mkae up for it. Well, it was closer...but I found I couldnt really see them because of the equipment and it was bumming me out that they always faced front & sometimes lost what was going on up there, since to see them I had to look at the screen.
For instance, on Foxboro Night 2...Bono pulled up a girl and had the bridges move forward. That was probably awesome seen from the front. Im sure the crowd was going nuts. But all i saw of that was what was on the screen.

Out of curiousity, what are those tall structures that are on the other end of the stadium? To the right of the soundboard? You could see through them but I wonder how much they blocked your experience if you had one in front of your view (which I know happened bc the seats I did not choose had this structure right in front of them.)

The 360 concept refers to the fact that they are surrounded on all sides by the audience. That's it. Calling the tour U2 360 was never a guarantee that they would be playing to all sides equally. When they play 360 in arenas, they favor the front, so I’m not sure why so many people thought this tour was going to be any different.

I sat behind the stage at NJ1 and loved the seats. I will say that I was second row in the upper level and it did seem to me that some of the seats behind the stage in the lower level almost seemed too low to get a good view of everything. But in terms of where the band was facing, I knew going in that it was going to be away from me for the majority of the show.

The reason people thought this tour was going to be different is because U2 said it would be. They spoke vaguely about this "idea" they had that they weren't sure if they could do architecturally, but they thought they had figured it out, and the idea was to bring the show closer to the whole audience with "a great view for every seat". I never bought it for a second. There's no way every seat in a 60 - 100 K seat stadium is going to have a great view, unless you're talking about the screen. I don't go to shows to look at video screens. If I can't get within a certain proximity of the stage, I just don't go. I've only been to 2 stadium shows in nearly 30 years of seeing live music. Both were the Stones, and their stage (especially in 89) went the width of the stadium and into the stands. Mick, Keith, and Ronnie worked it end to end all night. I had seats in almost the exact spot I have them for the upcoming U2 show at Carter-Finley, and I was very content. But U2's stupid "360" set up, it looks to me, puts them on a stage that is more appropriately sized for an arena and I think puts them further away from more fans. I will reserve judgement until I see the show next Saturday, but I don't think U2 has any business charging $250 for seats that are so far from the stage like mine. I'll pay $500 a ticket for good seats, but the seats I got, I think, are going to be very "ho hum, oh look at the fleas in the oval, too bad they can't roam from one side of the stadium to the other" seats, and that's just not how this tour was sold.

Of course I'd prefer them to go back to arenas, but I understand the move to stadiums, and I'm OK with it. I just happen to think the standard stadium stage at one end that spans the width of the stadium actually allows more people to get reasonably close (by stadium standards). I hope next time they keep their "innovations" to themselves.

The reason people thought this tour was going to be different is because U2 said it would be. They spoke vaguely about this "idea" they had that they weren't sure if they could do architecturally, but they thought they had figured it out, and the idea was to bring the show closer to the whole audience with "a great view for every seat". but the seats I got, I think, are going to be very "ho hum, oh look at the fleas in the oval, too bad they can't roam from one side of the stadium to the other" seats, and that's just not how this tour was sold.

I will say that they arent as tiny as I thought they were going to be. I too thought they were going to be as tiny as fleas. This was my first stadium concert ever & wasnt quite sure what to expect. I was so concerned with this aspect, that this is how I ended up getting behind the stage seats for one of the shows. For one of the nights, I saw them from the front. Sure, its not like they are standing right in front of you, but the distance wasn't as far as I imagined either.

Secondly, Ill also say that i think it does have a 360 feel to it. The night I flew solo, I floated around and one could easily say that as you made your way around the stadium, you had a good view, some better than others. Behind the stage isnt awful. You just dont get the forward facing energy that the rest of the crowd does...but you still feel part of the show, just not the high impact energy. And for some moments, you do get a great view when the band member makes an appearance. That being said, they do play to the front & its almost like an after thought to go to the back. Still, they do go back there & its a 360 view, albeit with some limitations.

You know, after everything, Im just so happy I was able to make it to two shows! :love:

Well, in spite of the downbeat tone of my recent posts (I feel ripped off in terms of the seats I got for the money - wah wah wah), I am looking forward to the show and suspect I'll be happy with everything. I'm just sort of particular about my seats/perspective. Seems like the 360 concept has driven MORE fans to the sides and back, and I fail to see how that's better than traditional end stage. So, fine, the answer is GA, but, unlike most here, I have no interest in GA along with 10 - 20,000 other people (GA at a 600 person club or in a small "pit" like Radiohead has? Fine!).

unlike most here, I have no interest in GA along with 10 - 20,000 other people (GA at a 600 person club or in a small "pit" like Radiohead has? Fine!).
:love: i personally will never understand anyone's fascination with doing ga at a u2 show. though of course i don't mind, it means less people fighting for seats with me! :)

I sat directly behind the stage in the upper level for NJ1 on Wednesday. Like everyone else has said, while there is not as much "interaction" with with band, the view is unobstructed and you get an excellent view of the show as a whole. I did GA for NJ2 and while the atmosphere and intimacy is better in the pit, you can't fully appreciate the show and the claw from down there. It truly is a spectacle from the stands (especially behind the stage) and I hope you enjoy it! I hope this helps :wave::wave:

I'm sorry but I really think the stage thing wasnt 1 percent of what it could have been if U2 had performed the way they said they were going to.

I :heart:'d MUSE's set, i thought they were really terrific and I had never heard any of those songs before. and they played only to the front. U2 on the other hand were supposed to play 360, and they didnt show up for that in any way shape or form, no one can tell me any differently. I thought they sounded great, but that wasnt the show I thought I was going to see and I wasnt alone on that. 360 degrees may mean something different to other people, but to me it means playing in the round. Anyhow, as big a disapointment as this was for me it didnt kill the evening, U2 are allways awesome.

I just dont reccomened anyone getting seats in what is now officially "BEHIND THE STAGE" if they want to see something other than basically the band's asses from a distance all night. It's a fact, dont be stupidly naive and believe what you read (or read what you want to believe lol) like I was.

OH and while I'm at it -- leave the kids at home. Everyone stands up for the duration of the show, they cant see anything.

I just dont reccomened anyone getting seats in what is now officially "BEHIND THE STAGE" if they want to see something other than basically the band's asses from a distance all night. It's a fact, dont be stupidly naive and believe what you read (or read what you want to believe lol) like I was.

awesome, i'll take those tickets. i loved my spot behind the stage.

I'm sorry but I really think the stage thing wasnt 1 percent of what it could have been if U2 had performed the way they said they were going to.

I'm still missing where U2 said they were going to play to all sides equally. They have said that it was their dream to be surrounded by the audience on all sides in a stadium, but I don't recall them mentioning that they would be playing the 360 setup any differently than they did in arenas.

And sorry if you said this already in the topic, but were your seats in the lower or upper level behind the stage?

I did find that The Edge was very active behind the stage. At one point, Bono and The Edge came back and played together and rocked out the entire audiance behind the stage

SMB

Or, think of it this way. Would you rather spend 97 bucks to sit way in the back and look at them from the front way far away, or pay half the price to see all of them up close

SMB

Back
Top Bottom