Question about rehearsals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They won't let you into the stadium while the band is still soundchecking. They are usually done right after 5pm...Then you are let in...

I'm fairly certain Seattle only got such an extensive soundcheck because Qwest Field is notoriously the loudest stadium in the US (for football/soccer) and I'm sure they just wanted to really get it right. Good luck!

Sometimes the crew soundcheck, sometimes U2 do. Since Miami is in the middle of a run of single-night cities and the band should be well rehearsed by that point of the leg, I'd suggest the crew are more likely to soundcheck than U2. But you never know, if U2 have something they feel like they need to work on, then they'll take the opportunity.

Hey Axver, how do people know whether it's tha band or the crew soundchecking? I was in the Salt Lake GA line, and everyone was really calm about the soundcheck cos they knew it was "fake U2" :lol:

breathe, it's great you have connections so you can sneak in. You could also suss out which spot in the GA you wanna stand at for the show too!

Well the crew will always do a check...usually early like from 12-2:30. Then things go quiet for a while. If it fires back up, its probably the band. Besides basic mic checks, etc.

Hey Axver, how do people know whether it's tha band or the crew soundchecking? I was in the Salt Lake GA line, and everyone was really calm about the soundcheck cos they knew it was "fake U2" :lol:

breathe, it's great you have connections so you can sneak in. You could also suss out which spot in the GA you wanna stand at for the show too!

Easiest distinction is lack of vocals. But mostly it's audible by the pieces being played. Are you hearing Gloria or Mofo on drums? That's Sam. He usually soundchecks with those drum rolls. Are you hearing random pieces of guitar music, could be U2 songs or even "Sweet Home Alabama"? That's Dallas soundchecking the guitars. I'm still sad nobody taped that in Brussels. He actually played Sweet Home Alabama a couple of times.
Usually the crew sound checks are instrument by instrument. If it's a U2 soundcheck it's all instruments at once(or just guitar if it's only Edge rehearsing). And you can sometimes hear them communicate over the PA as well. :)

There have been multiple times where they will do a full band check...but you're right, usually without vocals. Although I have seen/heard them do crew checks using playback vocals.

You were in Dublin as well.....one of the days, I think second show, they did Electrical Storm in the soundcheck.

I was almost certain it was the band. Thoughts?

Easiest distinction is lack of vocals. But mostly it's audible by the pieces being played. Are you hearing Gloria or Mofo on drums? That's Sam. He usually soundchecks with those drum rolls. Are you hearing random pieces of guitar music, could be U2 songs or even "Sweet Home Alabama"? That's Dallas soundchecking the guitars. I'm still sad nobody taped that in Brussels. He actually played Sweet Home Alabama a couple of times.
Usually the crew sound checks are instrument by instrument. If it's a U2 soundcheck it's all instruments at once(or just guitar if it's only Edge rehearsing). And you can sometimes hear them communicate over the PA as well. :)

That was the band. 100%. Drowning man too. Edge varied the guitar parts a bit, and vocals were added. They also played I Will Follow a couple of times.

That was the band. 100%. Drowning man too. Edge varied the guitar parts a bit, and vocals were added. They also played I Will Follow a couple of times.

Oh I remember I Will Follow extremely well and it sounded so good both times. I was almost certain that had to be the Edge....but you never know. A good tech can emulate really well, and there never was an effects pedal that the Edge didn't fall in love with :)

If it's a U2 soundcheck it's all instruments at once(or just guitar if it's only Edge rehearsing). And you can sometimes hear them communicate over the PA as well. :)
yeah, exactly. in auckland i could hear bono talking to the rest of the band when they played one bit of boy falls from the sky for like an hour.

Oh I remember I Will Follow extremely well and it sounded so good both times. I was almost certain that had to be the Edge....but you never know. A good tech can emulate really well, and there never was an effects pedal that the Edge didn't fall in love with :)
Dallas usually plays a riff and then something else. This was different. The riff kept being played and other parts of the song too, then bass and drums kicked in. THat's definitely the whole band there. :)

yeah, exactly. in auckland i could hear bono talking to the rest of the band when they played one bit of boy falls from the sky for like an hour.

Usually Bono does the talking yeah. :wink: Man loves to talk. On rare occasions I've heard Edge ask Joe to turn things up a bit, can't recall what soundcheck that was.

If you hear Zooropa blending into COBL, that's the crew. Same with Space Oddity to Even Better than the Real Thing.

You should be able to hear Bono's voice. If they soundcheck, they normally soundcheck around 4pm or later. That soundcheck of The Fly in Seattle was :drool::drool::drool: I was singing along and jumping around like mad. :D

You were in Dublin as well.....one of the days, I think second show, they did Electrical Storm in the soundcheck.

I was almost certain it was the band. Thoughts?

That was Dublin III. Full band Drowning Man, I Will Follow, New Year's Day, and Electrical Storm. Vocals were very, very obviously live, especially when Bono decided to stop ES!

Like others have said, it's generally very easy to tell when it's the band. The only time it can be hard to tell is when Edge decides to do a soundcheck by himself, but even then, if you're familiar with his style relative to Dallas's, you can pick it. One clue is that Dallas will hop from song to song to test different guitars and effects; if Edge is rehearsing by himself, it is because he wants to work on specific things and the soundcheck will be more focused.

When the crew use pre-taped vocals, it's pretty obvious. Partly through sounding too polished, partly because you say "hey that's the album/ZooTV Sydney/something else I own!" There was an Elevation soundcheck where the band were checking Mysterious Ways with taped vocals from ZooTV Sydney; Bono comes in someway through and sings along with it.

That was Dublin III. Full band Drowning Man, I Will Follow, New Year's Day, and Electrical Storm. Vocals were very, very obviously live, especially when Bono decided to stop ES!

Like others have said, it's generally very easy to tell when it's the band. The only time it can be hard to tell is when Edge decides to do a soundcheck by himself, but even then, if you're familiar with his style relative to Dallas's, you can pick it. One clue is that Dallas will hop from song to song to test different guitars and effects; if Edge is rehearsing by himself, it is because he wants to work on specific things and the soundcheck will be more focused.

When the crew use pre-taped vocals, it's pretty obvious. Partly through sounding too polished, partly because you say "hey that's the album/ZooTV Sydney/something else I own!" There was an Elevation soundcheck where the band were checking Mysterious Ways with taped vocals from ZooTV Sydney; Bono comes in someway through and sings along with it.

Actually, your own site says that was Vertigo, Mr. Setlist King. :wink:
U2 Anaheim, 2005-04-01, Arrowhead Pond, Vertigo Tour - U2 on tour

In my defence, check the timestamp: Today, 07:07 AM

Axvers do not function before about 11am.

screenshotij.png

I'm sorry, but I operate on Jesus Daylight Time, ie, America Time. That's the proper time zone by which to evaluate things. It was 4:07pm. Deal with it. :wink:

screenshotij.png

I'm sorry, but I operate on Jesus Daylight Time, ie, America Time. That's the proper time zone by which to evaluate things. It was 4:07pm. Deal with it. :wink:

You're living in the past. Quit living in the past.

When I was waiting in the GA line in Oakland, the crew kept using the Claw's PA system to sing Happy Birthday to one another.

It got so annoying.:|

They soundchecked the rehearsal the night before the concert in Denver, full blown concert, I just stood outside the stadium, walked up to the gates and watched. More than likely they'll soundcheck later at night, usually 9/10/11... and during the day, their techs will soundcheck songs about 4-5 hours before the band takes the stage.

^well, I think it would have been adorable if it were DALLAS or Sam Sullivan (ADAM's tech) Tsktsk, Jake Berry, where were you? :shame:

I felt so cheated at Denver. Anyone knows the Denver 2011 (leg opener) soundcheck story?

I was there early on show day. I swear I remember some soundchecking (even with Bono's vocals) at 2-3pm ish. Was Bono's vocals pre-recorded while the crew soundchecked? Or was the whole thing pre-recorded?

A U2 staffer told me the band probably wouldn't be there at all, and I thought he was lying to me to get me to scoot off like a good audience member :(

They soundchecked the rehearsal the night before the concert in Denver, full blown concert, I just stood outside the stadium, walked up to the gates and watched. More than likely they'll soundcheck later at night, usually 9/10/11... and during the day, their techs will soundcheck songs about 4-5 hours before the band takes the stage.

Denver was the exception because it was the first show of the leg. Instead of a soundcheck, they did a full dress rehearsal the night before. Most of the time, if they do a soundcheck, it will be between 3:30 and 5. Crew will check before that.

Back
Top Bottom