Only 1 support act per gig?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was wondering about this. If I remember correctly, in North America last tour, the start time noted on the ticket was 7:30. The opener went on then, till about 8:15, and then U2 at 9. This tour, it's 7:00. So that means that they've set aside a tiny amount of time for a second opener (unlikely), the one opener has longer to play (doubt it), or that U2 will play longer than the standard 2 hours (hopefully). What do you all think?

The N. American openers are arena headliners themselves - well, at least two of the three are (Muse and Black Eyed Peas) - so my guess for the earlier start is that the opener will get a bit more time, probably an hour instead of 40-45 minutes. I agree that there really isn't enough time for a second opener, although perhaps U2 will also have a bit more breathing room to go over the standard two hour line in addition to the extra time for the opener.

The N. American openers are arena headliners themselves - well, at least two of the three are (Muse and Black Eyed Peas) - so my guess for the earlier start is that the opener will get a bit more time, probably an hour instead of 40-45 minutes. I agree that there really isn't enough time for a second opener, although perhaps U2 will also have a bit more breathing room to go over the standard two hour line in addition to the extra time for the opener.

Or it could be, that in N. America some if not most states have noise laws that end stadium shows at 10:30 if I recall correctly. I guess it depends on how close to residential houses the stadium's are.

Last edited:

I guess that could be said for Snow Patrol too, they've headlined arena shows here, but would they really get more time in an opening-for-U2 slot? Maybe.

Or it could be, that in N. America some if not most states have noise laws that end stadium shows at 10:30 if I recall correctly. I guess it depends on how close to residential houses the stadium's are.

I was actually wondering about this, too. It could be the case with some venues, although in the case of Rogers in Toronto, I can't imagine that there are any nearby residents that would be bothered with noise.

It varies from venue to venue... Where I live some venues have a 11:00 cut off some don't have any...

Muse, Black Eyed Peas, and Snow Patrol can all headline their own arena shows. Wern't Muse promoted as 'special guests' for the shows they were playing? I could definately see them getting at least an hour and a half to play as they are one of the best live bands on the planet right now.

Muse, Black Eyed Peas, and Snow Patrol can all headline their own arena shows. Wern't Muse promoted as 'special guests' for the shows they were playing? I could definately see them getting at least an hour and a half to play as they are one of the best live bands on the planet right now.

They always promote them as 'special guest'. There is no way they would play for an hour and a half.

Muse is one of my top 5 favorite bands so I hope they play longer than 30 to 45 minutes. An hour to an hour and 15 minutes would work for me. I'll have to make sure to catch them on their own tour though so I can see their full set.

It looks like we will get two support acts as I've just been looking at the ticketline web site when I found this for the Sheffield date
Doors: 17:00

Un-Named Support: 18:00 - 18:30

Elbow: 19: 00 - 20:00

U2: 20: 30

Howie B was listed as an additional act on the Popmart shows in North America. Not sure how much he did, or if he got booted fromt he tour on the 3rd leg.

Vertigo Hawaii had 2 openers!!! Vedder and Rocko on the same stage!!

Back
Top Bottom