Official "Bitch about the stupid mask" thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Am I buggin' you, don't mean to bug ya...OK Edge put your mask on!"

OMG!!! I was thinking that too! :hyper:
I have to thank everyone who has posted re:The Mask! I have never laughed as much and never about U2.
My husband keeps asking me why I am laughing hysterically. How do I tell the poor guy he has to wear a mask to his 1st U2 concert??? :lol::lol:

The lone stranger

So... is anyone actually positive about this whole idea?

Yeah, I am. I said it on @U2, and I'll say it here. She's been on my mind a lot, especially since she's been arrested. The prison she's in is far worse than anything we can imagine.
I honestly don't see the problem with this. Five minutes of wearing a paper mask to help a brave lady who's worked for freedom all her life. Not much of a sacrifice, at least to me.

Yeah, it's corny. But remember who we're seeing. The guy who says, "The right to be ridiculous is something I hold dear".

I support it and I'll be masked in Chicago 1 and 2 unless U2 decides to cancel it.
Now I do draw the line at wearing it elsewhere.
Birdlover

Yeah, I am. I said it on @U2, and I'll say it here. She's been on my mind a lot, especially since she's been arrested. The prison she's in is far worse than anything we can imagine.
I honestly don't see the problem with this. Five minutes of wearing a paper mask to help a brave lady who's worked for freedom all her life. Not much of a sacrifice, at least to me.

Yeah, it's corny. But remember who we're seeing. The guy who says, "The right to be ridiculous is something I hold dear".

I support it and I'll be masked in Chicago 1 and 2 unless U2 decides to cancel it.
Birdlover

:doh:

Birdlover

Her prison is her house. If she was out of prison, she wouldl still be in her house.

How is wearing a mask for five minutes and having a limited view of your surroundings helping her?

Good point about being ridiculous. It's not something I hold dear, though.

good luck with that!

will you be attaching some elastic or string to the sides, or tape on a little handle to hold it in front of your face?

Duct tape.

Maybe these guys can make "taping the mask" #11.

Top Ten Uses for Duct Tape

Someone said it well -- the spirit and intent of this idea is awesome, the exeution is absolutely lame. The worst ever by a wonderful band that I love!

T-Shirt, yes; candles, yes; face mask? Are you kidding, please Larry, read Interference and put a stop to this stooopidity!

you know, the thought of being under house arrest didn't seem so bad until my xbox 360 broke earlier this evening.

this MASK idea is great...

now I can add another photo with a celebrity :cute:

b82f.jpg

She is in a Burmese prison now

Her prison is her house. If she was out of prison, she wouldl still be in her house.

How is wearing a mask for five minutes and having a limited view of your surroundings helping her?

Good point about being ridiculous. It's not something I hold dear, though.

Ever since an American man swam up to and entered her home uninvited, she has been held in a prison in Burma. NOT her home. She has been denied visits by her doctor and only very few people have been able to see her.
Her life is in danger now as she's ill and cannot get medical aid in prison.

I don't know how it will help. I only know that when Bono mentioned Apartheid, Bishop Tutu's daughter contacted him to let him know that many more joined the fight.
When he did the Vertigo tour and had people texting to the One Campaign, it doubled it's target membership (2 million instead of 1).
So what happens at these concerts does matter.

I'll leave it up to Bono to figure out how it will work.

I'm not saying anyone else should do this. I just feel that I should. Dorky, dumb or whatever...if it will help, I'm in.

Whatever you feel about the mask idea, please don't dishonor her.

Birdlover

She's been on my mind a lot, especially since she's been arrested. The prison she's in is far worse than anything we can imagine.

U2 fans have big hearts, most here are probably very sympathetic and supportive of this woman's struggles and appreciative of her accomplishments. We wore the One bracelets, did the in show texting, bought Product RED items, Red Zone tickets etc. Plenty of us are willing sheep, and have no complaints about it. However, WHAT does wearing a mask do for the cause? Its a poorly executed GIMMICK and its kinda embarrassing. If its so important to U2, why not make a video explaining to us why this is important to them, and why it should be important to us. U2.com didn't even send out an email. If I heard it from them, maybe I'd think about printing a mask.. maybe.

The origin of the mask idea

U2 fans have big hearts, most here are probably very sympathetic and supportive of this woman's struggles and appreciative of her accomplishments. We wore the One bracelets, did the in show texting, bought Product RED items, Red Zone tickets etc. Plenty of us are willing sheep, and have no complaints about it. However, WHAT does wearing a mask do for the cause? Its a poorly executed GIMMICK and its kinda embarrassing. If its so important to U2, why not make a video explaining to us why this is important to them, and why it should be important to us. U2.com didn't even send out an email. If I heard it from them, maybe I'd think about printing a mask.. maybe.

This will explain it a bit better:
BURMA DIGEST ? Article ? 2000 UNISON ACTIVISTS IN AUNG SAN SUU KYI MASK PROTEST

<I hope I did this right. If not, please edit it out.>

Birdlover

Just a horrific idea. The in-show texting and the eye-rolling "co-exist" crap of 2005 was barely digestible. Now we have a patronizing Desmond Tutu speech and these stupid masks to look forward to.

Unfortunately, though the U2 members themselves are generally quite intelligent, their revelations on world matters are so banal and simplistic ("war is bad") that it is easy fodder for critics to turn U2 - and Bono, particularly - into a caricature and punchline.

One thing this mask thing did make me do is check out U2.com for the first time in a couple years. Still a crappy website...some things never change.

yep exactly... i would be fine with holding up a piece of paper with her picture on it..

only way I'm participating is if they hand out the pieces of paper after everyone is already inside. I've got to many other things to worry about: grab camera, run, get a good spot, make sure no one steals my spot. I'm not bringing any pieces of paper or masks with me.

not much i can say to this that hasn't already been said.

it just really saddens me how u2 seem so determined to make us feel something, that they miss the mark altogether.

they scream "FEEEEEL THIS!!!!" whether it's in regard to burma, africa, etc. absolutely zero subtlty. do they really have such little faith in their audience that they can't let their fans come to conclussions on their own?

it's the equivalent of a comedian telling a very standard joke, and then immediately explaining the joke to everyone in attendance.

is it 1st april? maybe my calendar is wrong... or u2.com's is.

furthermore, if i see any douchebag with one of these masks on at wembley, i'll personally beat them.

at any rate, at least a lot of us can feel shitty knowing that a really valuable setlist spot has been set in stone with an appallingly bland and unspiring song in walk on.

not much i can say to this that hasn't already been said.

it just really saddens me how u2 seem so determined to make us feel something, that they miss the mark altogether.

they scream "FEEEEEL THIS!!!!" whether it's in regard to burma, africa, etc. absolutely zero subtlty. do they really have such little faith in their audience that they can't let their fans come to conclussions on their own?

it's the equivalent of a comedian telling a very standard joke, and then immediately explaining the joke to everyone in attendance.

is it 1st april? maybe my calendar is wrong... or u2.com's is.

furthermore, if i see any douchebag with one of these masks on at wembley, i'll personally beat them.

at any rate, at least a lot of us can feel shitty knowing that a really valuable setlist spot has been set in stone with an appallingly bland and unspiring song in walk on.

i mostly agree accept i will always be a Walk On supporter. say what you want about the direction U2 started going in around 2000, but Walk On is a damn fine song, especially live.

i mostly agree accept i will always be a Walk On supporter. say what you want about the direction U2 started going in around 2000, but Walk On is a damn fine song, especially live.

Yeah. I think this whole mask thing is the height of tacky disrespect that trivialises the entire issue and is symptomatic of the uneducated slacktivism Bono seems keen to encourage, but I'm going to dig hearing Walk On. Bit of a guilty pleasure, but the full band version does sound good live and it's one of the 2000s U2 songs that I'm cool with having regularly in this tour's set.

I'll wear a Guy Fawkes mask...

Heh, I was just thinking that the stadium is gonna look vaguely like an Anonymous anti-Scientology rally during Walk On.

EDIT: Crap, the media noticed. I can't copy-paste the link (stupid iPod), but just do a Google News search for "u2 mask" and it should be the top result. Look for a link to a site called ChartAttack.

Back
Top Bottom