Official "Bitch about the stupid mask" thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I liked it on the Vertigo Tour when Bono wore that headband with Coexist on it, but the mask is a little too much

see now, i even thought the headband and that whole thing was truly a terrible gimmicky atrocious thing! gah i dunno sometimes U2 treat their audience like they're stupid or something (by being really incredibly over-obvious and almost condescending with these things)

(and i am a "political" person, and i support the Burma Campaign, but i find this mask thing a bit odd)

medium.jpg

clay-aiken-weird.jpg

home-alone.png

see now, i even thought the headband and that whole thing was truly a terrible gimmicky atrocious thing! gah i dunno sometimes U2 treat their audience like they're stupid or something (by being really incredibly over-obvious and almost condescending with these things)

(and i am a "political" person, and i support the Burma Campaign, but i find this mask thing a bit odd)

so very true.

bono needs to stop being a complete and utter fucking tool and just sing the songs.

his over the top campaigning really sours a U2 show for me.

so very true.

bono needs to stop being a complete and utter fucking tool and just sing the songs.

I agree

Other than Last Unicorn can anyone else come close to defending this? Or think "Hey, what a great idea"? To me it's borderline embarassing. Like Kelly above said, a part of me is thinking this is just a joke cooked up on U2.com, at least I'm hoping so.

so very true.

i disagree with you!

i think the politics and campaigning is important, but there's ways and ways of getting the message across without talking down to the audience and crediting us with a little intelligence at least, that's all i'm saying

when i saw The Police a couple of years ago, they had some images related to Water Aid projected on the screen while Invisible Sun was playing, and the images just totally spoke for themselves and it was so powerful! that moment just let the audience think for themselves and see and receive the message for themselves... i found it so much more powerful than all the hammering and pounding with fists and hell fire and tongs lmfao :D

i think the politics and campaigning is important, but there's ways and ways of getting the message across without talking down to the audience and crediting us with a little intelligence at least, that's all i'm saying

D

Agreed, politics have always been a part of U2 shows, but the long speech before One on Vertigo was such a buzzkill, and wrecked the momentum of the show. I was hoping the politics could be more subtly intertwined into 360. Fingers crossed, but a mask? How is that really going to help the Burma cause?

I agree

Other than Last Unicorn can anyone else come close to defending this? Or think "Hey, what a great idea"? To me it's borderline embarassing. Like Kelly above said, a part of me is thinking this is just a joke cooked up on U2.com, at least I'm hoping so.

if i think about it hard enough i could actually come round to defending it, by looking at it as a quirky flashmob theatrical type thing (do you think Gavin Friday was behind this one?), making a statement, showing solidarity and support and all that...

but i just feel like having a good ole bitch right now instead :D

Okay, I printed out my mask from u2.com. Look the good news is that it can be used for more than just the concert. According to the template on U2.com:

WEAR TO WORK OR
COLLEGE, WHEN YOU’RE
AT HOME DRINKING A CUP
OF TEA... ESPECIALLY TO
BE WORN AT U2 SHOWS
WHEN THE BAND PLAY
WALK ON

I hope I don't have a problem with the TSA tomorrow when I try to get through security on my way to Barcelona wearing it. At least she's smiling in the mask picture.

I don't mind the politics. I can even live with the speeches.

But wearing a paper mask of a political prisoner is beyond weird.

Someone on the u2.com board mentioned peace crane pins. What not do that? Why a stupid mask?

maybe it's about identifying with her in a very literal way, sort of putting ourselves in her shoes for a moment by wearing her face, human beings united by one face, protesting for the basic human right of freedom... could make an interesting visual to the onlooker i guess

The one with the hairdo? That's the hairdo from Kate, of Jon & Kate Plus Eight fame. One of the recent internet things is to photoshop her hair onto various people's heads.

Pretty awesome.

No I mean the actual chick that is on the mask. :reject:

So you must be new to U2 then?

no. i've been a fan for quite a few years.

ok there has always been a political element at U2 shows and this is a good thing.

however, in recent years it just seems a bit over the top and embarrassing.

i'm guessing that the majority of people at a U2 gig only go for the music and atmosphere....and not bonos incessant campaigning. its a rock n roll show not a political rally.

Can i just point out that MAYBE just maybe this is a gimmick by u2.com? and not anything to do with BONO?, going back a page or 2 someone showed what it said when it was printed out about wearing it at home etc etc, this just doesnt sound like an "official" "bring your masks to the concert" type thing, infact is this just a case of interference/all other u2 websites overeacting?

Can i just point out that MAYBE just maybe this is a gimmick by u2.com? and not anything to do with BONO?, going back a page or 2 someone showed what it said when it was printed out about wearing it at home etc etc, this just doesnt sound like an "official" "bring your masks to the concert" type thing, infact is this just a case of interference/all other u2 websites overeacting?

as said at U2.com, "Wear it in the pub or at the shops"

i think someone must be having a laugh?

i really hope so because if i turned up at my local pub with that mask on, i'd get laughed out of town!!

I dare you to wear it when you go to the bank. :wink:

OMFG! That has got to be the funniest thing evah! :lmao: I can't stop laughing!

I double dare someone to do this.

and my 2 cents.. I understand the intent of this but this has to be the lamest thing I have heard in a long time.. Why not make this a template for people to screen onto t-shirts and wear to the shows, i.e go to spreadshirt and do it.. you know.. :huh: Now that I would do...

as said at U2.com, "Wear it in the pub or at the shops"

i think someone must be having a laugh?

i really hope so because if i turned up at my local pub with that mask on, i'd get laughed out of town!!

Actually that would be very very funny, i think i'll go to my local pub in it tomorrow.

"invited" not "bring it and wear it"

That's not much of a difference, but I'm not going to argue semantics.

Normally, I like pretty much everything U2 does. I'm a bit of a "sheep" as people like to say around here. But this mask thing :tsk:.

The intent behind the idea is great, but the execution leaves much to be desired.

Actually that would be very very funny, i think i'll go to my local pub in it tomorrow.

good luck with that!

will you be attaching some elastic or string to the sides, or tape on a little handle to hold it in front of your face?

Back
Top Bottom