Official "Bitch about the stupid mask" thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If Larry wears this mask, then I will not rest until I am on stage and naked at a U2 concert. That is a promise.

Agree with both.

That's what I sometimes cannot understand about this forum: Intead of laughing something just off, people act as if their lives are depending on a U2 concert.

Seriously, if no one wears that stupid mask, they will drop this idea very soon, so let's just b-o-y-c-o-t it.

Yes! Rebellion against U2!!!

And I LOVE Walk On!

exactly. i mean, i was pissed at first, but i'm over it already. and you're right. if Interference's reaction to this is any indicator, the entire U2 fan base will think this is a dumb idea, and not wear the mask. and then it will be a non issue.

damn, now I feel all insensitive and shit :slant:

yeah, but look at it this way - U2 can inject politics into a concert - the "one" campaign bit. They can make the audience aware of an issue they're aware of and encourage them to support it.

But U2 can't make a concert into a political rally. Even the Sarejevo broadcasts weren't rallies - they were at worst, a chilling buzz-killing peek at the world, at best an informative explanation and demonstration of the horrors of a certain war and genocide. But the BAND did it, it was still a show.

U2 is trying to co-opt us into a political rally in the middle of the concert. And I support her, and I support Burma, and there needs to be more reported on it. But this is not the way to do it. Make people genuinely informed via the show. Don't co-opt your revelers into a pre-planned rally.

I think she and her situation are important, and while normally I'd say it's good to call attention to her situation, in this case I have to say:

OH JESUS GOD, NO.

Ridiculous and dare I say a little embarrassing that this is what they came up with?

Ditto. I love the song, but there is no way in hell that I am printing that off to wear. It just looks creepy. :( :|

I am just realy upset about MJ and to say I was a huge fan would be an overstatement.
this is just too much for one day :|

yeah, but look at it this way - U2 can inject politics into a concert - the "one" campaign bit. They can make the audience aware of an issue they're aware of and encourage them to support it.

But U2 can't make a concert into a political rally. Even the Sarejevo broadcasts weren't rallies - they were at worst, a chilling buzz-killing peek at the world, at best an informative explanation and demonstration of the horrors of a certain war and genocide. But the BAND did it, it was still a show.

U2 is trying to co-opt us into a political rally in the middle of the concert. And I support her, and I support Burma, and there needs to be more reported on it. But this is not the way to do it. Make people genuinely informed via the show. Don't co-opt your revelers into a pre-planned rally.

QFT :up:

it's funny, I sent my comment on that link with mask on u2.com and they are still not publishing anything there :)
maybe it's all negative so now they are scratching their heads because they didn't think it would backfire :)

well at least it's fun, setlists became predictable and unexciting after yesterday so we needed this :)

I can care less about the plight of Burma and this mask idea is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Seriously. I'm paying money to go to this concert to be entertained, not lectured.

good comment from the atu2 boards: "I'm pretty sure that the fans are supposed to come up with these mini-concert events not the band......."

Maybe, just maybe this is a way to support burma and pay tribute to Michael Jackson. After all Jacko, and his kids were always wearing masks. I think we are not digging deep enough here, this could be Bono's most brilliant idea yet.

:wink:

I think someone needs some decaf.......

Yeah, I just took my happy pills. :happy: They make this board so much easier to handle.

I can care less about the plight of Burma and this mask idea is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Seriously. I'm paying money to go to this concert to be entertained, not lectured.

OK, seriously, it's one thing to be annoyed by these ridiculous masks, but the plight of Burma is certainly something that should get attention, and U2 have been campaigning for this cause for years. It's especially dramatic now because she has been arrested. U2 concerts have never been solely about entertainment. If you want entertainment without politics, u2 is the wrong band for you. I always find it funny how long it takes some fans to find that out.

i do feel really bad for that one lone fan that puts on his/her mask thinking everyone else is doing it.

by the way, i hope Bono doesn't wear the mask, his singing would be very muffled.

Maybe, just maybe this is a way to support burma and pay tribute to Michael Jackson. After all Jacko, and his kids were always wearing masks. I think we are not digging deep enough here, this could be Bono's most brilliant idea yet.

:wink:

They should give away MJ masks. I'm sure those would become a success.

Yeah, I just took my happy pills. :happy: They make this board so much easier to handle.

OK, seriously, it's one thing to be annoyed by these ridiculous masks, but the plight of Burma is certainly something that should get attention, and U2 have been campaigning for this cause for years. It's especially dramatic now because she has been arrested. U2 concerts have never been solely about entertainment. If you want entertainment without politics, u2 is the wrong band for you. I always find it funny how long it takes some fans to find that out.

agreed. not the best way to do it, but good for U2 for wanting to bring it up.

Look, I just lost my job, the US economy is a mess. If I'm going to care about people getting arrested, I'm more interested in what is going on in Iran then Burma as that would effects the whole region. Burma is very low on my priorities. I'm well aware of U2s causes. Personally, I think they should spend more time on playing music then giving me a geopolitical lecture.

I think it was more a prophecy of swine flu especially since they filmed the DVD in Mexico.

I just had a terrible thought. Does anyone suppose Bono gives a speech about this and then the band proceeds to put the masks on themselves? :huh:

OSHI-

(Yes, I changed my avvy. Couldn't resist. :D)

Back
Top Bottom