Official "Bitch about the stupid mask" thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In defense of the Zoo...the place is a little out of whack but it's a great place. The band member forums are always loads of fun! It seems to be the only board where I've seen some positive feedback for this...but not much feedback at all. I would assume because most of us don't think it's a big deal if we don't like it. I personally think it's a bad idea, but it's certainly not the end of the world and in no way effects the tour excitement. If people don't want to do this, they won't, and it will go away, simple as that. And if people don't want to hear anything political at concerts, than I can't imagine why they would go to a U2 concert at all, seeing as world issues have been a part of U2 shows almost from the beginning. Sorry I have nothing funny to say :reject: I'm not often critical of the band, but I think this is a lame idea, yes...people have bad idead sometimes! And btw, I :heart: Walk On.

Heh, I was just thinking that the stadium is gonna look vaguely like an Anonymous anti-Scientology rally during Walk On.

EDIT: Crap, the media noticed. I can't copy-paste the link (stupid iPod), but just do a Google News search for "u2 mask" and it should be the top result. Look for a link to a site called ChartAttack.

lol @ your avatar.

maskcrab.gif

Sicy :lmao:

Whatever you feel about the mask idea, please don't dishonor her.

Birdlover

No one's dishonouring her! There are actually a lot of people who are concerned with her plight. But this is just...undignified beyond words. There are more subtle (and dignified) ways to educate and make a point. If anyone's "dishonouring" her, it's whoever thinks that a stadium full of people sticking a frigging paper mask of her likeness onto their faces for five minutes is going to help.

And we're supposed to cut out eyeholes? Nice. Isn't that essentially disfiguring her picture? I'm completely baffled by this wtfuckery.

Sicy - :bow::rockon:

Ok, I have not even attempted to read the 4 bazillion pages that have now been written about this subject, so forgive me if this has already been posted -

I totally agree that this is a more than lame idea, but here's the thing - NO ONE is going to do this. We are the diehards, we are really the only ones who are going to know about this, and doesn't seem like any of us are jumping at the opportunity to wear a paper mask at a concert. SO why the hell would a casual fan do this? Its not going to happen. This really is much ado about nothing.

By the way, is Larry asleep at the (microphone) wheel or what? :doh: WTF Larry, we expect you to be the "no" man in the group. If ever there was the need for a veto, this was it. How the hell did this one slip past him?

The masks were worn

At a human rights conference in Brighton by 2000 delegates working to free her.
So these have already been established as a method of protesting her incarceration. It's not something U2 thought up, it's something her supporters developed.

If they think it's dignified, that's good enough for me.

You don't have to cut out the eye holes if that's offensive. The delegates didn't, they held the masks in front of their faces. At a concert, though, it might be a bit safer to have vision.

I plan to glue mine to a stick and have the rubber band so it's easier to handle. Just 5 minutes folks. That's all. A photo of a stadium full of these masks will be a powerful aid for her supporters.

I'm just a fan. Probably one of the oldest people on here (55) yet a really new fan. So if you want to beat me up, you'll be beating up a little old lady.:wave:

Birdlover

I agree

Other than Last Unicorn can anyone else come close to defending this? Or think "Hey, what a great idea"? To me it's borderline embarassing. Like Kelly above said, a part of me is thinking this is just a joke cooked up on U2.com, at least I'm hoping so.

Where have I defended the masks? Open your eyes or learn to read or whatever.

I've said from the beginning that the masks are a stupid idea. But unlike many of you I don't start a drama, I just laugh about it.

Read my posts before you make your comments, please.

And hell YES I do support U2's campaings, I'm all for them being political, that's part of why I love and admire the band and am proud to be a fan.

Bono :up:

Fans always bitching about every little stupid thing :down:

Where have I defended the masks? Open your eyes or learn to read or whatever.

I've said from the beginning that the masks are a stupid idea. But unlike many of you I don't start a drama, I just laugh about it.

Read my posts before you make your comments, please.

i've seen you post a few comments where you tell people to relax... and that it's not a big deal.

and that's fine, of course.

but at the same time, isn't it also a bit ironic? how many times have you posted in this thread?

you know, i thought the concept of wearing the mask at the concert was pretty odd at first, but reading some of these comments, particularly the jokes and the lack of awareness about the Burma situation, really saddens me and actually makes me wanna wear the damn thing!

you know, i thought the concept of wearing the mask at the concert was pretty odd at first, but reading some of these comments, particularly the jokes and the lack of awareness about the Burma situation, really saddens me and actually makes me wanna wear the damn thing!

maybe they could play One especially for you then because who in his right mind is going to wear the most stupendous idea in the history of rock 'n roll. (problably) Comming from a man who dropped the idea of being hoisted in the air during Running to stand still(ZOOTV tour) Compared to this that was actually EPIC and a brilliant concept.

One advantage: you will be easy to spot for fellow interference people which in these circumstances actually might be a disadvantage come to think of it :hmm:

what about the people who don't care? i won't touch the thing with a ten foot pole

The masks were worn at a human rights conference in Brighton by 2000 delegates working to free her.
So these have already been established as a method of protesting her incarceration. It's not something U2 thought up, it's something her supporters developed.

I love the way everyone completely ignored this post. :rolleyes:

To be honest I was never under the assumption that they INVENTED the asks themselves. It is just the idea of bringing this into a rock n rollconcert that makes my teeth hurt and I just had them fixed

maybe they could play One especially for you then because who in his right mind is going to wear the most stupendous idea in the history of rock 'n roll.

what's One got to do with it?

One advantage: you will be easy to spot for fellow interference people which in these circumstances actually might be a disadvantage come to think of it :hmm:

i don't give a shit zwervers2, bring it on i say lmfao :D

i still think it's a crap idea actually (read my posts and you'll see i was as shocked as anyone!), but i am pretty amazed at some of the comments here...

however, there's been some very positive responses to U2's gesture elsewhere outside the U2 fanbase, among supporters of Aung San Suu Kyi - reading their heartfelt comments and thinking of the piss-taking going on here made me ashamed to be a U2 fan

I didn't want to ignore it, but she implied that challenging her on it would be akin to beating up a "little old lady," so... :shrug:

I'll just say that context is your friend. There's a biiiig difference between supporters who are specifically protesting her situation to government officials doing something like this (in that case, it does become symbolic, I guess), and a rock band asking paying attendees of their concert to do an art project, bring it with them, and affix it to their faces for 5 minutes, to wear in a situation where it's ultimately going to do nothing.

Why not try asking us to sign petitions? Giving us numbers to call? Handing out pre-printed postcards for us to sign and send away? I'd be more than willing to do any of those. However, there's no way in hell I'm going to take part in this ridiculous mask fiasco. I really think that in this context, it trivializes her imprisonment.

Back
Top Bottom