NO Stadium show in Ireland 2009?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andyuk

Refugee
Hi there looks like there won't be any Stadium show in Ireland during 2009 as Oasis will be headlining Slane and Take That have shows at Croke Park (they only allow 2 shows per year) Also with Landsdowne Road Stadium looking like a building site this means that there won't be any U2 Stadium show in Ireland during 2009. So this probably means that we are likely to see an arena tour with the O2 being the venue for U2 in Dublin which will be fantastic as i would prefer the smaller venue shows!

Hi there looks like there won't be any Stadium show in Ireland during 2009 as Oasis will be headlining Slane and Take That have shows at Croke Park (they only allow 2 shows per year) Also with Landsdowne Road Stadium looking like a building site this means that there won't be any U2 Stadium show in Ireland during 2009. So this probably means that we are likely to see an arena tour with the O2 being the venue for U2 in Dublin which will be fantastic as i would prefer the smaller venue shows!

U2 played at Croke Park 3 times during the Vertigo tour. As backward and conservative as the GAA is, you can imagine the public outcry in Dublin if U2 were denied the ability to have concerts there. I'd be shocked if they didn't make an exception for an Irish band.

Last edited:
Who's to say they wouldnt change the rules for U2? did they not do that for the band during the slane shows? when there was only supposed to be 1 show?

Who's to say they wouldnt change the rules for U2? did they not do that for the band during the slane shows? when there was only supposed to be 1 show?

First time ever I am typing this but: doens't this belong in the tourdepartment or something :wave:

Croke Park made 1 exception for U2 and gave them 1 extra date but if my memory is correct this was hard work getting them to agree to it as they only allow 2 music concerts there per year.

I hope its indoors!

To be honest am hoping outdoors for totally selfish reasons, i am away october the 5th for 3 weeks, and knowing my luck that when they would play the UK!, but with stadiums you know its going to be through the summer,

also tickets could be almost impossible to get if they went back to arenas.

I want stadiums !!. Maybe they do a indoor european leg then switch to the stadiums next summer

America should get stadiums and Europe should get arenas. Payback's a bitch.

Sorry but thats wrong info - there were three concerts in croke park last year. Celine Dion, Westlife and Neil Diamond. There was meant to be a fourth until Prince cancelled his at the last minute. In 06 and 07 there were 3 gigs allowed. Four seems to be the current limit. I could see U2 doing 2 nights in the stadium plus a number of dates in the O2 - probably at different points during the tour also. A couple of nights in the Odyssey Arena in Belfast wouldn't be out of the question either. This would easily mean they'd be playing to the same number of people in Ireland as they did in 05. I believe we'll see both arena and stadium legs of the tour in both the US and Europe.

Sorry andyuk, but that's totally BS!!!!

Besides that BS: There will be a stadium / outdoor tour thru Europe (and probably the US). Do you think they won't play Ireland at all?

Do you think they won't play Ireland at all?

Stunningly enough, they almost did that on the UF Tour. Both of the main European legs skipped Ireland. They didn't get to Ireland until they did the rounds of the mid-year festivals in 1985 and tacked on a gig. But it was their first Croke Park gig, so it was pretty significant.

And on ZooTV's sole 1992 European leg, an arena leg, they gave Ireland the miss entirely. They didn't play Ireland until the final three dates of the fourth leg in late August 1993 - keep in mind here that ZooTV began in February 1992.

Good news. I'd much rather see them at the O2 in London than Wembley.

I've seen U2 seven times at Wembley and they've always been 10/10, wheras the gigs I saw them play at Earls Court were not so good, plus I've heard that the o2 is quite soulless.

I've been lucky enough to see U2 in both arenas and stadiums....and I've got to tell ya, they are much better in arenas. I know they are one of the few bands who's music and live act can make a huge stadium feel like a small venue. But I'd much rather see them in a small venue where they can make it feel like a nightclub...know what I mean?

Its cool and all to see 50 or 60 thousand people singing and chanting along to their music and screaming and cheering. But personally, that gets old after a while for me. The acoustics are never right, they get lost in the massive visual presentation, and good luck trying to get a seat within a mile of the stage without paying a billion dollars.

I hope they focus a good portion of their upcoming tour to playing in arenas over stadiums. They are a great stadium band, but a much better arena band IMO.

Maybe they'll play

Punchestown
Phoenix Park
Marlay Park

And still 2 open dates at Croke Park

There's a tonne of open air venues around Ireland they could still play

I've been lucky enough to see U2 in both arenas and stadiums....and I've got to tell ya, they are much better in arenas. I know they are one of the few bands who's music and live act can make a huge stadium feel like a small venue. But I'd much rather see them in a small venue where they can make it feel like a nightclub...know what I mean?

I'd argue that the smaller the venue, the better the gig, for pretty much any band. I even shy away from arena gigs.

I would fucking love to see U2 in a truly small venue, like a small theatre that holds about 500 people. Obviously it's impossible to do now except as an album promo sort of appearance. The perils of following an excessively famous band ...

I'd argue that the smaller the venue, the better the gig, for pretty much any band. I even shy away from arena gigs.

I would fucking love to see U2 in a truly small venue, like a small theatre that holds about 500 people. Obviously it's impossible to do now except as an album promo sort of appearance. The perils of following an excessively famous band ...

And you would win that argument hands down. I totally agree with you on that. I just didn't think they would play anything smaller than an arena again. Nothing beats a theatre or club type setting. But as Bono once put it "We played so many clubs early on so that we didn't have to play them again" or something like that.

One show that I wish I was at was the first ZooTV arena show in Lakeland, FL. Supposedly that B-stage and catwalk went all the way to the back of the arena because the place is so small. I believe it barely seats 6-7000 people. Imagine that! That would have been a treat!

I saw them at Astoria in 2001 which i think holds 2,000 and it was just amazing! I enjoy stadiums and arenas but my preference would be arenas!

Anyway i honestly feel we are gonna get similar to what we had on AB/Zoo.

2009 indoor arena tours of US and Europe followed by a second album early 2010 then an outdoor tour of Rest of the World onto US then finish in Europe at the end of September 2010.

And you would win that argument hands down. I totally agree with you on that. I just didn't think they would play anything smaller than an arena again. Nothing beats a theatre or club type setting. But as Bono once put it "We played so many clubs early on so that we didn't have to play them again" or something like that.

One show that I wish I was at was the first ZooTV arena show in Lakeland, FL. Supposedly that B-stage and catwalk went all the way to the back of the arena because the place is so small. I believe it barely seats 6-7000 people. Imagine that! That would have been a treat!

Before the New Zealand concerts were announced for the Vertigo Tour, some rumours did the rounds that U2 were going to play "arena" gigs at the Events Centre in Wellington, which if memory serves me correctly holds about 4,000-5,000 people, due to fears a stadium gig might not sell out but four or five nights at the Events Centre would. I didn't expect that it would come to pass, and it didn't (two sold-out stadium gigs were played in Auckland to a total of 70,000 people), but if it had, you better believe I would have been at every single show. U2 wouldn't have played a venue that small for a full tour gig since the Point Depot on Lovetown. The intimacy and intensity of smaller venues just cannot be replicated, and although it's testament to U2's live ability that they can make arena and stadium shows feel smaller than they are, it's still nothing like a real small venue.

Well, there's still hope. They have been known to do smaller venue type stuff to promote a new album. Remember their "surprise" Brooklyn, NY concert after they filmed the video for ABOY? That was something. I wasn't there, but a friend of mine was and he said it was really great to see them without all of the screens and special concert lights and stuff.

If U2 called me right now and asked me what they should do on their next tour...I'd tell them to strip it all the way down. Four guys, a stage, a few lights, and maybe one screen. Then they'd probably hang up on me. :D

If U2 called me right now and asked me what they should do on their next tour...I'd tell them to strip it all the way down. Four guys, a stage, a few lights, and maybe one screen. Then they'd probably hang up on me. :D

I've been advocating this for years. I don't know about anybody else, but I go to concerts for music. I couldn't care less about the stage set-up. They could play on a bunch of cinderblocks for all I care.

April-June 2009: US/Canada arena tour

August-October 2009: European arena tour (with multiple nights at both London/Dublin O2 Arena)

January-March 2010: ROW stadium tour

April-June 2010: US/Canada stadium tour

July-September 2010: European stadium tour

November-December 2010: ROW stadium tour

:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

Vox

April-June 2009: US/Canada arena tour

August-October 2009: European arena tour (with multiple nights at both London/Dublin O2 Arena)

January-March 2010: ROW stadium tour

April-June 2010: US/Canada stadium tour

July-September 2010: European stadium tour

November-December 2010: ROW stadium tour

:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

Vox

That is exactly as i see it! with 2 albums during this time as well! very similar to AB/ZOO

I've been advocating this for years. I don't know about anybody else, but I go to concerts for music. I couldn't care less about the stage set-up. They could play on a bunch of cinderblocks for all I care.

I guess I'm too much of a tech theatre geek, but I love massive productions, personally.

Back
Top Bottom