More Europe dates in 2011, album out in late 2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
U2place.com talked to members of the crew:

- album due in November/December 2010
- tour likely to end in Europe 2011 (tour crew mentions England, Paris and Belfast being negotiated currently, among other places)
- they're looking for a new location in Ireland outside of Dublin. There were logistical problems during the 2009 Croke Park shows at that location.

Guess I'll be waiting to book my 2011 Ireland trip until I find out where/when they're playing.

:grumpy:

..... like I can get annoyed about that. :lol:

Who the hell is gonna get the credit for producing that album? Not Lanois(he was working with Neil young until he injured himself) or Eno (he's with Coldplay at the moment)

If an album was released this Nov/Dec, it had to be finished by now.I have huge doubts about being released that soon.Its just impossible.Maybe...just MAYBE! sometimes in April ,or May,just before the N.A. tour.But even that,i didn't read anywhere that they were with a producer this past summer while Bono was healing from his back surgery.

This might sound dumb but...is this a rumour to be taken seriously or is it bull? :huh:

Edit: about the tour, I mean.

Paris AGAIN? That sounds strange to me. :huh: They've gotten last leg and this leg both, without being a huge demand.

Glad about Irish and UK shows. Hope that rumour is true.

Who the hell is gonna get the credit for producing that album? Not Lanois(he was working with Neil young until he injured himself) or Eno (he's with Coldplay at the moment)

I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure that Eno can work on two projects at once.

It's not like Chris and Gwyneth fucking tied him up and imprisoned him in the studio, forcing him to work with Coldplay every single day. The man can do other things.

I have no clue if he has worked with U2 on the side, and we haven't heard anything to that effect, but the idea that just because he's working with Coldplay (whose album has no set release date either) precludes him from working with other artists seems ridiculous.

eno's releasing a new album too..

It's probably material that was worked on over the past years, and tweaked by their audio engineers/assistants..

Paris AGAIN? That sounds strange to me. :huh: They've gotten last leg and this leg both, without being a huge demand.

If the they play Paris again it's because they've had a HUGE demand there, 3 shows sold out so far at Stade de France averaging 93,000 per show. Of course it would be nice if they played in Marseille at the Stade Velodrome instead.

Let's not forget that U2 had a pretty relaxed schedule making NLOTH -- wasn't it three weeks on, one week off or something like that? On projects like Achtung Baby, Eno came in one week a month for a couple of months. So he could certainly multitask -- especially if enough of the material was far enough down the road.

um... there is HUGE demand to see the band in France! especially with them playing just one venue for the whole country... LOL!!

If the they play Paris again it's because they've had a HUGE demand there, 3 shows sold out so far at Stade de France averaging 93,000 per show. Of course it would be nice if they played in Marseille at the Stade Velodrome instead.

U2 already played Nice, so I don't know if they'll sell out Marseille. Paris 4 (if there is one) maybe. The 3rd show at Stade de France sold out slower than the first two, but by the first day all tickets were gone. 3 European legs though? :huh:

um... there is HUGE demand to see the band in France! especially with them playing just one venue for the whole country... LOL!!

Yep, after their show in Paris this leg they will have played to roughly 335,185 people in France on the 360 tour

Last year the 2nd show didn't sell out that quickly, and this year the show wasn't that fast either.
I guess I'm still bummed they've skipped Amsterdam this leg, but it seems strange they're picking Paris as the only place that gets a gig at each of the three legs now(09,10,11).

I might be in Japan during the summer of 2011, I hope to christ I can catch them in September or October.

Yes, never understood why people think a producer can't work on more than one project at once. Brian Eno working with Coldplay does not in any way mean he is unavailable for U2.

If U2 do have a new album out this fall, they'll definitely want to promote it in Europe. I think a possible 3rd European leg could include the following:

Ireland- 2 shows
Belfast
Scotland
Manchester
Sunderland
London- 1/2 shows, depending on the album's success
Amsterdam- 2 shows
Oslo
Stockholm
Prague
Maybe 1 show in Germany??
Paris
1 show somewhere else in France?
Madrid
Udine, Italy- Haven't been that way yet this tour, and Stadio Friuli has a 40,000-ish capacity, so they might sell it out
1 show somewhere Baltic? St. Petersburg, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Belarus?
Budapest
Bucharest
Belgrade
Israel?
Cairo?

I count 24 possibilities there, which is about the right size for a 360 tour leg. Obviously all of these shows won't happen, but I can see a good bit of this happening. By the end of this, I would surely think demand would be absolutely dried up for U2 for a couple years.

Just thought of this, but what about a triumphant return to Sarajevo? I'm no expert, but I think they would either have Belgrade or Sarajevo, not both.

This might sound dumb but...is this a rumour to be taken seriously or is it bull? :huh:

Edit: about the tour, I mean.

well,

there was a rumour earlier this summer that there were 5 european cities penciled in to finish the tour after the US leg

2 nights each
These were understood to be Belgrade, Paris, London, Amsterdam and Dublin.

So, who knows what to make of this latest one?

I've found it incredibly weird that Amsterdam was skipped, while Holland never gets skipped on tours. Same with Ireland and the UK. It just made no sense.
If they're planning to end the tour going to these countries, it sort of does makes sense to me. But I'll wait for official confirmation before I'm gonna start rejoicing.

If this is true, I hope for Dublin, London and Amsterdam. I might have to quit my job, but whatever. I will maybe move to UK next year. Oslo is not very likely. They tried to come to Norway, but the stadium (Valle Hovin) here is a disgrace, and it could not handle the stage. They tried other places, but it was impossible. I'm Norwegian, but I don't care if they come here or not. I love traveling, and it is one of the advantages of living in Europe. Going to any city in Europe is just a couple of hours away.

It will be football season again when the rumoured 2011 European leg kicks off, so they would be quite limited in terms of the stadia they could play.

And where would they play in Belfast ? Would the claw fit into Windsor Park ?

Upon a little more research, I will make a few adjustments to the possibilities list.

Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia do not have stadiums of suitable size.

Prague has Strahov Stadium, which holds 220,000 people. At an endstage concert, the stage can be played on the halfway mark, thus reducing the capacity in half or less, like on Popmart. However, the 360 configuration would mean that all 220,000 seats would be for sale, as well as whatever fits on the massive field. In other words, no.

Supposedly Ullevaal Stadium in Oslo holds 35,000 for concerts. Same as the Horsens venue. Just play it twice to get the desired numbers.

I doubt they play anywhere in Germany, Spain or Italy. Demand has been met in those countries.

As far as the UK goes, it depends on if the new album is a hit or not. If so, I can see them doing 2 shows at Wembley again, and a couple more throughout the country. If not, one show at Wembley and another show in Manchester, perhaps?

Belfast has Casement park? Could that work?

Minsk, Ukraine, Budapest, Bucharest and Belgrade all have suitable stadiums for the 360 tour, and I'd imagine demand is there to mostly fill stadiums in these cities. However, U2 seems to be scared of eastern europe, so we'll see.

If an album was released this Nov/Dec, it had to be finished by now.I have huge doubts about being released that soon.Its just impossible.Maybe...just MAYBE! sometimes in April ,or May,just before the N.A. tour.But even that,i didn't read anywhere that they were with a producer this past summer while Bono was healing from his back surgery.

Lillywhite perhaps? I haven't heard anything about him lately..:hmm:

Back
Top Bottom