More Europe dates in 2011, album out in late 2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
With the lack of any rumours for further Euro dates and Bono's comment along the lines of 'trying to help the people of Ireland later in the year', I am wondering if the tour will end with one big show, somewhere like Phoenix Park, with either a minimum charge or free admission?
Unless they are going to keep the claws in NA then they have too be shipped back anyhow so theres no further cost there. The later they announce it, the more it will be restricted to just the people of Ireland.

U2 crews should be popping up in South America in the next 2 weeks, hopefully someone gets a crew members to talk.

It is very odd that UKers may not get a chance to see the claw in 2010 or 2011 on home soil.

If U2 don't put something out in May, after all the talk about having several albums worth of material, then I guess they've either run into 'musical differences' or lost their balls. I prefer to believe there will be new music in May, and some additional tour dates to come for 2011.

I honestly think it would be a shame not to continue the 360 tour - but with a radically revised setlist. There are some wonderful songs (new and old) that deserve a chance on that stage. Besides all the unheard material it would also be excellent to hear some of the following:
Electric Co
Out of Control
Gone
Last Night On Earth
Miami
Kite
New York
Bullet the Blue Sky
Seconds
Acrobat
Tryin to Throw Your Arms Around the World
No Line On The Horizon (again)
The Fly
Fez/Being Born
Cedars of Lebanon (could actually work with the right mood lighting/video)
Exit (could be intense with Until The End of the World type lighting)
So Cruel
Slug (again imagine the lighting opportunities)
Lemon
Zooropa
Zoo Station
Dirty Day

There is an entire alternate setlist in fact. Most of all would love to hear new material from a new album. Keep looking forward guys.

I think that if nothing is announced in May it's not looking good for European concerts this year

The whole "leave a Claw behind" thing was obviously light hearted, not at all serious. For starters - come on. Secondly, they mention it in regards to places where its obviously not a 'real' suggestion or offer. I mean, in Australia they gave the same quote about leaving one of them behind, and obviously that would never have been the case.

I believe there will be an additional Euro leg. They are probably waiting to announce it until all or at least most dates are confirmed. This is better than releasing dates in small doses like they have been doing lately. I wouldn't count out a possible 4th show in Brazil and one or two shows in Japan either. U2.com has not said "this is the last show of the 360 tour" when moncton was announced, they simply said it was the last show of the 2011 north american leg. wouldn't they have said "this is the last show for south america" when the 3rd buenos aires show was announced? they haven't so it kinda makes me wonder.

I still think any additional dates beyond the summer US leg, if there are any, will be announced around the time the new album is announced.

Assuming, of course, a new album is coming. And I still believe it is.

If there's an announcement of a new album and no dates announced by the time June rolls around, I'm giving up hope.

If there's no new album ... I'll still wait until the beginning of June or so before giving up.

I still think any additional dates beyond the summer US leg, if there are any, will be announced around the time the new album is announced.

Assuming, of course, a new album is coming. And I still believe it is.

If there's an announcement of a new album and no dates announced by the time June rolls around, I'm giving up hope.

If there's no new album ... I'll still wait until the beginning of June or so before giving up.

Announcing an album 2 months out(rumoured eve of US tour release) is cutting it very close. Traditionally u2 would have promo copies out to a handful of trusted media by now for proper magazine reviews and cover story planning. Not to mention booking high profile endcaps in stores and pressing cds/vinyl. Unless they "pull a radiohead" which I don't see happening.

My thinking is they may have the album/Europe announcement coincide with the first South American dates, but who knows. I wonder if booking boats to ship the claw across oceans needs to done months in advance?

This rumour's been going on for ages. What could take so much time?

Trying to hotwire the Spiderman play before the official opening?

We've been yammering about the potential timing in the new album thread, and it's entirely possible that they're going with less hype/promotion for this one? Maybe they felt NLOTH's promotional stuff didn't do anything for them. Maybe having Danger Mouse as the producer is its own hype in the music world.

Who knows? We can only make weird assumptions, speculation and excuses as we sit and twiddle our thumbs and try not to panic. :wink:

If U2 don't put something out in May, after all the talk about having several albums worth of material, then I guess they've either run into 'musical differences' or lost their balls.

Nah, I'd just take it as business as usual, given that in every album cycle, the band crap on about having HEAPS of material and being THIIIS close to a release ... two years before we get just eleven songs on an album and no b-sides.

The whole "leave a Claw behind" thing was obviously light hearted, not at all serious. For starters - come on. Secondly, they mention it in regards to places where its obviously not a 'real' suggestion or offer. I mean, in Australia they gave the same quote about leaving one of them behind, and obviously that would never have been the case.

No matter how often people like us say that, people keep parroting the "leave a Claw behind" thing as if it's some sort of quasi-confirmed U2 gospel.

If there was going to be one, they would have announced it a while ago. The other 3 shows are completely sold out, the promoters would want the maximum the time to sell tickets to the 4th show.

Paul McCartney announced a whole South American tour just 2 or 3 weeks before it began, so U2 adding a single show doesn't seem totally out of the question yet.

If there was going to be one, they would have announced it a while ago. The other 3 shows are completely sold out, the promoters would want the maximum the time to sell tickets to the 4th show.

They could announce it a week or two before and it would still probably sell out.

They could announce it a week or two before and it would still probably sell out.

And it really wouldn't matter if it didn't - their ego ought to stand it after all the other sold out dates - and financially ticket revenue for an extra night at the same venue would be very profitable, even if far from sold out.

Nah, I'd just take it as business as usual, given that in every album cycle, the band crap on about having HEAPS of material and being THIIIS close to a release ... two years before we get just eleven songs on an album and no b-sides.

oh yeah that's true, no b-sides! i never thought of it like that... yeah that is a bit rubbish really...

Announcing an album 2 months out(rumoured eve of US tour release) is cutting it very close.

Not in 2011, but then U2 do generally operate with one foot firmly in 1988.

Traditionally u2 would have promo copies out to a handful of trusted media by now for proper magazine reviews and cover story planning.

U2 don't do that. The long lead journalists get a listen in the studio, the shorter lead reviews go to closed listening sessions, usually at Universal offices, one listen through only, under over-the-top conditions, very close to the release date. They don't do promo copies (no-one of any reputation or value does these days), and they don't do anything 'wide' until only a couple of weeks out.

And in regards to those long lead cover story type things, there's no reason why they couldn't have already prepared those articles. U2 have - to say the least - some super compliant 'partners' on that front. They can get a guaranteed, front cover, glowing article and five star 'best ever' review whenever they want from at least Rolling Stone and Q. I would think that it would not be too hard at all for them to have a few 'old friend' journalists and editors playing their game. There are some that are so compliant, and so fawning, I sometimes wonder what it is that U2 know about them. I mean, what on earth has Bono got over Jann Werner? Clearly something!

And with that sort of thing, its not going to ring any alarm bells once more staff know about the bookings. I mean, they won't have seen the articles, but will know that U2 are booked for the cover of Q in May/June. And why? Glastonbury silly! (And this is likely true - U2 probably are on the cover of Q in June, or if not, there will 110% be at least a big feature article on them in this issue.) Why Rolling Stone? Eh - because they're due? And the 360 tour is kicking off again.

Its a similar deal with TV. The long lead stuff (shows like Letterman or SNL or whatever) could all be booked in, but why would we know? They take super-star booking literally every day, "OMGU2!" is not really going to gossip its way out of the office. Its no big deal, and they wouldn't be wondering why either.

Not to mention booking high profile endcaps in stores and pressing cds/vinyl. Unless they "pull a radiohead" which I don't see happening.

In regards to manufacturing/distribution, they run a pretty tight ship, with the point being to not have all this shit lying around. Its pretty much produced to within a minute of needing to be shipped to distributors on the day before they need to send it out nationally. If its a release literally right at the end of May, pressing/printing etc wouldn't kick off for a few more weeks yet.

As for retailers, a few people would definitely be all over it. At a head office level, they would have known about a U2 release for some time. In terms of store level promotion, and buying space etc, that's all done at that head office level. We'll know all about it before the monkeys in-store do. And all of it would have been effectively sorted by now. Especially given that Universal have GaGa so close to this apparent U2 date.

But all of this firing up of the machine that will start taking place in earnest from around now will start sending up smoke, and they surely won't be able to contain all of it.

My thinking is they may have the album/Europe announcement coincide with the first South American dates, but who knows. I wonder if booking boats to ship the claw across oceans needs to done months in advance?

I don't know what the chances are for Euro dates, but I would think that if its on, its only if there's a new album, and there'll be no announcement on dates before the new album is announced/new single released. Wouldn't be surprised if its even later, too. Don't know about announcement, but wouldn't be surprised to see tickets not going on sale until after Glastonbury. That should give them great "U2 Live" hype. That story will be everywhere, and there's a huge TV audience for Glastonbury too. Especially given that the big question mark seems to be over the ability to 'sell' in the UK, that's too good an opportunity. "U2 were fucking awesome at Glastonbury" might be one of the singular big national stories/talking points of the week - perfect time to drop tour dates on that market. Plus its the other side of the super busy big summer gig and festival spending spree. At the moment, festivals and big outdoor gigs and sweet summer tours are getting announced and going on sale every day. Let that pass, let bank accounts replenish.

Paul McCartney announced a whole South American tour just 2 or 3 weeks before it began, so U2 adding a single show doesn't seem totally out of the question yet.

The T-shirts in South Africa only had three dates for Brazil on the back. Would they announce a fourth show and make all these T-shirts inaccurate? I'd demand a refund!

the problem with more European dates is also the availability of stadiums. Lots of stadiums will not be available. Many of the major soccer competions start even earlier than previous year...

Not in 2011, but then U2 do generally operate with one foot firmly in 1988.

Its a similar deal with TV. The long lead stuff (shows like Letterman or SNL or whatever) could all be booked in, but why would we know? They take super-star booking literally every day, "OMGU2!" is not really going to gossip its way out of the office. Its no big deal, and they wouldn't be wondering why either.

In regards to manufacturing/distribution, they run a pretty tight ship, with the point being to not have all this shit lying around. Its pretty much produced to within a minute of needing to be shipped to distributors on the day before they need to send it out nationally. If its a release literally right at the end of May, pressing/printing etc wouldn't kick off for a few more weeks yet.

As for retailers, a few people would definitely be all over it. At a head office level, they would have known about a U2 release for some time. In terms of store level promotion, and buying space etc, that's all done at that head office level. We'll know all about it before the monkeys in-store do. And all of it would have been effectively sorted by now. Especially given that Universal have GaGa so close to this apparent U2 date.

I don't know what the chances are for Euro dates, but I would think that if its on, its only if there's a new album, and there'll be no announcement on dates before the new album is announced/new single released. Wouldn't be surprised if its even later, too. Don't know about announcement, but wouldn't be surprised to see tickets not going on sale until after Glastonbury. That should give them great "U2 Live" hype. That story will be everywhere, and there's a huge TV audience for Glastonbury too. Especially given that the big question mark seems to be over the ability to 'sell' in the UK, that's too good an opportunity. "U2 were fucking awesome at Glastonbury" might be one of the singular big national stories/talking points of the week - perfect time to drop tour dates on that market. Plus its the other side of the super busy big summer gig and festival spending spree. At the moment, festivals and big outdoor gigs and sweet summer tours are getting announced and going on sale every day. Let that pass, let bank accounts replenish.

I remember David Bryne complaining that he got bumped so U2 could have the full week on Letterman 2 years ago.

What are the other major cd releases coming out in late May that are currently known? U2 need their #1 and 14 days should be enough for Gaga to begin her sales plateau.

I do remember Prince once saying that some cd plants were capable of 250,000 discs in a 24 hour period if needed. I don't think u2 will have 5 different versions like they did for Horizon.

IMO, if the album has not been submitted to a vinyl pressing plant it won't be ready for 1st week sales. Every plant in the world is running at capacity and things get bumped back all the time. Do Universal own their own vinyl pressing plant? A group like LCD Soundsystem had their TIH vinyl delayed for MONTHS. Not the end of the world for U2, but something to keep in mind - even Radiohead gave themselves more than 2 months leeway for vinyl.

As for the Euro tour, I'm shocked at the lack of local rumours from venues that have 1 event block booked for a week. Is there anything more substantial than 1 Bulgarian rumours and months old talk from crew members?

the problem with more European dates is also the availability of stadiums. Lots of stadiums will not be available. Many of the major soccer competions start even earlier than previous year...

Stadiums could have been booked around the time they were reshuffling the US dates from 2010 to 2011.

Stadiums could have been booked around the time they were reshuffling the US dates from 2010 to 2011.

and for me that is the worrying thing for any Euro dates. Stadiums do have to be booked well in advance and that is where snippets of rumours come from. We have nothing apart from our own fantasy rumours

Yeah but we did have rumours about... well, 6 months ago... so who knows, maybe those stadiums are already booked indeed.

Yeah but we did have rumours about... well, 6 months ago... so who knows, maybe those stadiums are already booked indeed.

It's not cheap to keep those 7-9 consecuative day booking in each stadium, probably listed under Live Nation so obvious to anyone with access to the schedule. One would think online scalpers(European sites are notorious for this), hotels or sport season ticket holders would have spilled some beans by now.

We knew more about the never officially announced 2002 Euro tour dates than possible 2011 dates.

Not to mention that having stadiums/trucks/boats/crews pre-booked through October should already be a couple million. When do sport seasons get played and when are schedules known?

I'm also wondering how much Bono/Edge are needed to oversee Euro announcements if they have their full attention overseeing the complex web they weaved on Broadway.

I think they're not much involved in the Spiderman mucial anymore. Think it's been delayed again - I wonder if it ever will open.

I think they're not much involved in the Spiderman mucial anymore. Think it's been delayed again - I wonder if it ever will open.

Yeah it is not actually the case, despite reports, that Bono & Edge are locked up in a Broadway theatre day and night. Bono was in a ski resort here in Switzerland last week (although not skiing - don't worry!)

Yeah it is not actually the case, despite reports, that Bono & Edge are locked up in a Broadway theatre day and night. Bono was in a ski resort here in Switzerland last week (although not skiing - don't worry!)

One report has Bono(& Edge?) in NYC this week to hold meetings for Taymor's departure.

Exactly - and don't forget Willie's diary "Production manager Jake is away today, off advancing some stadiums for shows next year." - that entry came from around the time of the Athens show. For Jake to disappear for a day I would strongly suspect that was for European rather than North American venues given that they were in Europe at the time.

Back
Top Bottom