More Europe dates in 2011, album out in late 2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm sorry. I don't really know Spanish and was just hunting (desperately) for any Europe date rumours and that forum has been good for news snippets in the past.

Don't worry, everybody wants some news, the site is very reliable for news, but only when the webmaster posts them, as I said before he has very good connections (within the inner circle).

Slovakia, Latvia, Estonia, Lithuania etc. surely some of the stadiums in these countries would be worth a visit.

Nothing but 10,000-capacity stadiums in those small countries, though.

Besides, most touring artists rarely even visit those places.

Dublin- 2, maybe 3?
Belfast- 1
Edinburgh- 1
London- 2? If the album is a hit, then maybe.
Another show in England, somewhere.
Amsterdam-2
Rumored Bucharest show.
1 show in Eastern Europe- Split? Belgrade? Sofia?
Stockholm- 1
France-1 (Lyon, perhaps? Or Paris again, why not? Sold out everytime so far.)
Italy- 1. Florence?
Madrid?
Norway- I know there's not a sufficient stadium, so they say, but if they want the $ bad enough, they'll make it happen. Look at the venue in Horsens, for example. If they're playing places like that, they might as well play the grandstand at my local county fair!
Prague? The only stadium big enough is the 200,000 Strohav Stadium, so maybe not.

I wish you were a seer :D

unless they need to from a financial perspective I don't see them doing another run of Euro shows- if they couldn't be arsed to play UK or Ireland in 2010, why on earth would they bother in 2011?

They always under play everywhere anyway (except the US) and they've covered most markets in 2009/2010

for me at least there'd have to be a new album to play- I had a great time on 360 tour, but I've no desire to see the same show again in 2011

unless they need to from a financial perspective I don't see them doing another run of Euro shows- if they couldn't be arsed to play UK or Ireland in 2010, why on earth would they bother in 2011?

Probably because they did what 7 shows between the UK and Ireland in 09, and wanted to play other markets in 10 (Moscow, Istanbul etc)

Makes perfect sense to wrap up the tour post new album with a small run in Europe (specifically Dublin).

Probably because they did what 7 shows between the UK and Ireland in 09, and wanted to play other markets in 10 (Moscow, Istanbul etc)

Makes perfect sense to wrap up the tour post new album with a small run in Europe (specifically Dublin).

I don't see them doing it because of the cost of shipping it about for half a dozen shows in the UK and Ireland- they revisited some countries in 09/10, given that the tour was about 20-ish shows in 3 months, they didn't exactly overdo it did they?

it wouldn't have been beyond them to have played shows here if they'd really wanted to- or it made business sense to do so.

I guess that might change if they actually do release a new album this year

I don't see them doing it because of the cost of shipping it about for half a dozen shows in the UK and Ireland- they revisited some countries in 09/10, given that the tour was about 20-ish shows in 3 months, they didn't exactly overdo it did they?

it wouldn't have been beyond them to have played shows here if they'd really wanted to- or it made business sense to do so.

I guess that might change if they actually do release a new album this year

Seeing that the claw was built in Belgium, I assume it would be disassembled there once the tour is over, so logic would suggest that they'd have to ship the claws back across the pond after Pittsburgh. Why wouldn't they do more shows? (that's just assuming the claws will go back to Werchter)

Aside from Paris, there were no repeats from 09. Just different cities in Germany, Spain and Italy. Going back to the UK/Ireland probably would have meant having to play the same cities (Dublin, London etc... not too sure how many other places can accomidate the claw outside from the ones they played in 09) And let's not forget, they were going to do Glastonbury (minus the claw) as a one off during the US leg before Bono got injured.

I do think the album will drop, but I also think that even if it doesn't, now two years after the initial Europe leg and the UK/Dublin shows that there would be enough demand to satisfy a couple more shows in select markets. Probably wouldn't have worked last summer. Only time will tell...

I don't believe the financial reason is the most important for them to do a run of shows. A new album could be the perfect reason for doing another Euro-leg. If the rumors are true that there will be a new album in spring, they have the perfect reason for doing an American and European leg, without becoming a greates-hits act.

They always under play everywhere anyway (except the US) and they've covered most markets in 2009/2010
It's true they underplay Europe a lot, but not everywhere. Germany for example was not underplayed. And Italy, Greece, Moscow, Istanbul neither...also the UK was definately not under played. They would have added more shows in 2009 if they would have been able to sell them out...
Ireland, Netherlands, and some countries they haven't been on 360 may easily sell out. But bringing out another album might raise a lot of extra demand, also in other countries, like the UK.

for me at least there'd have to be a new album to play- I had a great time on 360 tour, but I've no desire to see the same show again in 2011
I agree! They would become the next Rolling Stones if they go on touring without bringing out new relevant music...

There are two distinct groups at these stadium shows - fanatical U2 fans (i.e. us on this forum) and the concert going public. If you are filling 50-100,000 seater stadiums then the simple fact is you are going to have to play 'Greatest Hits'. Thankfully the band also throw a few bones to their fans by playing rarities such as Scarlet, bringing back favourites such as Ultraviolet & Bad, and having the balls at times to risk playing previously unheard material such as North Star, Every Breaking Wave, Mercy, Boy Falls From The Sky, Glastonbury and so on.

They are doing a pretty good job of trying to please everyone at these shows. If Paul McG's prediction comes true and they have a new album out in May, and if it is full of hits as some hype has predicted then I'm sure they can carry on and revisit Europe this year without being remotely likened to the Rolling Stones. The only place the Stones name should be mentioned is when U2 smash their previous tour-grossing record some time this year?

Seeing that the claw was built in Belgium, I assume it would be disassembled there once the tour is over, so logic would suggest that they'd have to ship the claws back across the pond after Pittsburgh. Why wouldn't they do more shows? (that's just assuming the claws will go back to Werchter)...

Don't they simply sell it to China as scrap metal? I've never believed the PR about leaving it permanently somewhere.

It's weird to think that 2009 was the only "real" chance to see the group and full production for fans in UK/Ireland. In 2010 they have to take a boat/plane/chunnel.

The only place the Stones name should be mentioned is when U2 smash their previous tour-grossing record some time this year?

Do you think 360 will ultimately become the highest-grossing tour of all time?

Do you think U2 could still surpass the Stones, AC/DC, and Madonna if the entire tour were to end in Pittsburgh?

Do you think U2 could still surpass the Stones, AC/DC, and Madonna if the entire tour were to end in Pittsburgh?

Considering how many tickets were sold before the postponements, I think they are on schedule to easily surpass the Stones record.

If there is an additional leg in Europe, I dont think another band would ever come close to their total $$ numbers

The tour has grossed $443 million already. This amount EXCLUDES the following:

Australia:$60-70 million from 10 shows (503-513 million total)
South Africa: 15 million from 2 shows (518-528 million total)
South America: 42-50 million from 7 shows (560-568 million total)

The Stones record is $558 and U2 will pass that PRIOR to the start of the North American leg. I believe if you adjust the Stones total for inflation it comes in at roughly $601 million. In that case, U2 will pass that total out about a quarter of the way through the NA leg ( hell the Mexico dates alone will bring in close to 25/30 million).

When all is said and done, this tour will have grossed just north of $800 million. That won't beat the Stones current record, it sh**s on it!

We know the band likes to think big. Lets hope they go for the first billion dollar tour. Doesn't matter what kind of press they have to suffer from time to time there is no denying a figure that large. Also furthers Bono's leverage with politicians (in terms of demonstrating size of fanbase) and looks good on press releases.

Just say something official - either positive or negative about another European leg please.

Would love them to come back, the tour has changed so much, am sure they could fill stadiums . They only did 2 gigs in London , and didn't do a lot of the other places they did before , perhaps it's wishful thinking on my part!

If there is an additional leg in Europe, I dont think another band would ever come close to their total $$ numbers

Not even Coldplay, Green Day, Muse, Radiohead, etc. in the Year 2030 or so?:shifty:

When all is said and done, this tour will have grossed just north of $800 million. That won't beat the Stones current record, it sh**s on it!

What about the Stones' next tour?

From what I've heard here on Interference, the Stones plan to top 360 with their next (and last?) world tour.:ohmy:

The only way the Stones will be able to top 360 is if they came out and said "This is our farewell tour". Tickets would be through the roof, and a lot of hold outs from the last few tours would go (myself probably being one of them). If this happens, I don't know what U2 will do next.

I think for the next tour (2014-16 era) U2 are gonna go smaller. Arenas, some stadiums, but an overall simpler approach. Then, they will have their farewell tour in 2019-2020, and it will be the tour to beat all tours. After U2 are gone, there will never be that much demand to see a single performer again. The era of the mega tour will be over by the 2020's I think.

U2's post-360 tours will very likely be akin to the patterns that the Stones, AC/DC, and Madonna have been following recently. That is- indoor arenas throughout North America, but stadiums everywhere else. They will probably do some stadiums here and there in NA- such as Rogers Centre, Soldier Field, and the new Giants stadium.

But I seriously do not know what U2 and Willie can do for "a tour to beat all tours" if they were to put on a "farewell tour".

I wouldn't put all my eggs in a basket just yet for a Stones Tour. Sure everyone is saying they want to tour but:

-Ronnie Wood is having issues (Alcohol, divorce, bad publicity that Mick does not care for)

-Mick Jagger fully committing especially after the Kieth book and Ronnie's actions

-Charlie Watts just too tired to tour anymore. There have been 2 rumors surfaced since a Bigger Bang Tour that Charlie doesn't want to tour anymore.

-Keith Richards arthritis and swollen hands. This is many Stone fans concern. Not sure he can even play a full set.

On the bigger bang tour, Keith would have good shows and bad. Some very bad. For the last 20 years, the stones have had 3 backup singers, and on the last tour one of them was playing rhythm guitar. I think for the most part Keith is onstage for show, and really not adding a whole lot to the songs. Ronnie WOod plays the lead parts, the rhythm is usually filled in by the other guitarist or the keyboard, and Keith just sort of noodles along.

If we don't hear anything by the start of the South American leg, we might have to assume that the tour will end in Pittsburgh.:(

I would expect Europe only to happen if a new album happens. I would expect that both the new tour leg and the new album would be announced together. I also would not expect that announcement in January when so many people in Europe have their worst cashflow of the year. Whenever they announce a tour leg the tickets go on sale almost immediately. I agree with HBK-79 that if we haven't heard by South America then it probably ain't going to happen. However I am very hopeful that we will hear something in the Feb-Apr period.

It is a possibility that an additional European tour leg might not be announced until the time of album release (as with NLOTH and the first leg of the tour).

I don't think it's cause for alarm if the South American shows begin and a European leg has not been announced. The South American leg begins late March. A European leg wouldn't begin until late August, a whole five months away. Plenty of time to get an announcement in.

I'd be much more concerned if the North American leg begins and there is no European announcement.

I would expect Europe only to happen if a new album happens.

I read an article somewhere which said that it likely comes out late March/at beginning of April. The article was 'based' on information from the band or the management. We'll see if it's true.

I would think it fairly obvious that if another Euro leg is happening, and a new album is happening, they'll be 'launched' together.

Back
Top Bottom