Mexico Estadio Azteca - PreSale/GenSale

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Especially in Argentina if they have to use a smaller stadium rather than River Plate.

In cities with multiple gigs this tour, many first shows have taken as long or longer to sell out than the second Mexico City show. They were willing to add extra gigs in places like Brisbane, so if they define that pace as sufficient for a second show, then I don't think they'd necessarily be concluding demand has been reached in Mexico City.

However, before the sales, I heard no rumours about provisions for a third show, just provisions for the second (and a somewhat weak rumour of a Guadalajara gig). Has anybody actually heard rumours of a third show? Because it seems to me that there weren't pre-existing plans, and if they decide there is enough demand for a third show, they may have to scramble a bit to get plans into place.

You definitely have a good point there.

I personally have not heard any rumours for either a third Mexico City show or a Guadalajara or even a Monterrey show. And though I'd say that a third show would sell out, (maybe not as quickly as the first or the second show, but I guess it would sell out) I doubt there will be any further shows added.

It really sounds like there is, but one thing you have to keep in mind is that these first two shows were weekend shows. A third show would have to wait for Tuesday or maybe even Wednesday, which theoretically should make tickets a bit tougher to sell.

That said, if the Claw and all the crew and equipment are already down there, would Live Nation and U2 still make a healthy profit if they "only" sold 40,000 or 50,000 tickets to a third show? I would think the answer is yes.

One trick that could be used is added the show in the days before the weekend pair. Being the first North American show in 18 months would help it sell.

Not sure how often u2 have added shows preceding the 1st sell out. Tacoma 1992 maybe.

Not sure how often u2 have added shows preceding the 1st sell out. Tacoma 1992 maybe.

The aforementioned second Zagreb gig is the only example on the 360 Tour (though the second NYC show in 2009 ultimately became the first show after it had to be rescheduled).

There were no second shows added before the first sell-out on the Vertigo Tour. I don't think there were any on Popmart or Elevation either.

On Lovetown, the second Auckland show to go on sale was added on the night before the first announced date. Hence, on 10 November 1989, U2 played to about 20,000 people, then on 11 November 1989 played to a sell-out audience of 60,000. (Fun fact is that Acrobat reputedly originated during soundchecking in Auckland.)

On the UF Tour, at least one of the five Melbourne concerts was added before those previously announced. Not 100% on this, but I think shows 3-5 were the first three announced, in that order, then shows 1-2.

Struggling to recall any other examples off the top of my head, though I think there are some others out there. It's extremely rare though.

I think it way more than 85,000 per night. The stadium has a capacity of more than 104,000 for soccer matches. The 360 show uses all seats around the stadium (104,000) PLUS the field as well. Gotta be something waaaay higher than just 85,000. I'll say at least 115,000 per night.

they're talking about how many tickets they sold, not the actual capacity

not all tickets are sold during the initial public on-sale

May 11th... New date for Mexico?

U2 > Tours > U2 360° TOUR

Capturadetela2010-11-04s233320.png

May 11, i wonder if that one sells out quick if they will add a 4th concert on may 12th. might be a bit rough on his voice doing 4 shows in 5 days though.

wow, I'm impressed, they're really giving a ton of advance notice for the ticket sales for this show

U2.com presale group 1 (everybody but Cedar) - Tuesday November 9, 9am

U2.com presale group 2 (Cedar) - Tuesday November 9, 3pm

Banamex presale - Tuesday November 16, 11am

General on-sale - Thursday November 18, 11am

Now that there are three shows instead of two, I'm curious if that'll prompt anyone to add Mexico City to their travel itinerary.

Two-show cities on that leg of the tour are rare enough (only Montreal and Anaheim), but a 3-show stand is unprecedented on the 360 Tour for everywhere but Dublin. (Though I suppose if the eventual Argentina venue is small enough, 3 shows might be likely.)

And I'll point out: nowhere does it say "a third and final show has been added". It simply says "a third show". Dare I get anyone's hopes up by mentioning that there's still room on the schedule for a fourth?

Though you have to think the third show will sell a bit slower, since its on a weekday. The fact that it'll actually be the first show won't hurt sales though.

I'm wondering if the third or first show whichever you wanna call it sells out quickly that they'll add another one on May12th. The article did not say a third and final show for Mexico City, so it just makes me wonder.

I was thinking the same thing. I was editing my post as you were typing yours.

that's funny..lol well if u2 does sell out 4 shows in Mexico City they will be the Take That band for Mexico I guess..:wink:

I'm wondering if the third or first show whichever you wanna call it sells out quickly that they'll add another one on May12th. The article did not say a third and final show for Mexico City, so it just makes me wonder.

It would be sweet if Mexico gets 4 but they probably left a two night gap between so they can fix anything with the show if something comes up. We all know their first gig after an absence can be a little rusty. Maybe it means Mexico will get some newer music?

It would be sweet if Mexico gets 4 but they probably left a two night gap between so they can fix anything with the show if something comes up. We all know their first gig after an absence can be a little rusty. Maybe it means Mexico will get some newer music?
They initially planned on back-to-back shows for Mexico City, so they were planning on no gap at all. And of course if the South American leg is announced for March/April as expected, then there's really not going to be any sort of absence that would lead to any rust. They'll be in prime mid-tour form when they hit Mexico.

Now that there are three shows instead of two, I'm curious if that'll prompt anyone to add Mexico City to their travel itinerary.

Two-show cities on that leg of the tour are rare enough (only Montreal and Anaheim), but a 3-show stand is unprecedented on the 360 Tour for everywhere but Dublin. (Though I suppose if the eventual Argentina venue is small enough, 3 shows might be likely.)

And I'll point out: nowhere does it say "a third and final show has been added". It simply says "a third show". Dare I get anyone's hopes up by mentioning that there's still room on the schedule for a fourth?

Though you have to think the third show will sell a bit slower, since its on a weekday. The fact that it'll actually be the first show won't hurt sales though.

The u2.com e-mail says: "U2 will play a third - and final - show in Mexico City in May 2011."
Btw, I think it would have been the first time U2 plays more than 3 stadiums in a row in one city. This Tour indeed Dublin and Mexico, Vertigo had Amsterdam, Dublin and Sydney. Elevation had Arnhem. ZooTV had Rotterdam and Foxboro.

The u2.com e-mail says: "U2 will play a third - and final - show in Mexico City in May 2011."
Btw, I think it would have been the first time U2 plays more than 3 stadiums in a row in one city. This Tour indeed Dublin and Mexico, Vertigo had Amsterdam, Dublin and Sydney. Elevation had Arnhem. ZooTV had Rotterdam and Foxboro.

ZOOTV had 4 Rotterdam and 4 Wembley stadiums
POPMart had 3 Buenos Aires shows
VERTIGO with the 3 Saitama Super Arena shows in Japan

let's hope this is an indication of the announcement of the Southamerican Dates next monday

Though it was an arena, U2 played 4 nights in Mexico City back on the outside Broadcast tour to finish off their 1992.

Even if demand was there, it is a bit unlikely they would do 4 shows in 5 nights plus a rehearsal. Though they did do 4/5 between Boston and the suffled Giants dates.

Also, that is going louder than any other North American show on the tour.

Back
Top Bottom