Marijuana and U2 360

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I definitely don't dig it when people are smoking right next to us when we take our kids to concerts. Coldplay was bad, U2 in Chicago, in the inner ring had nothing. It was cool.

What I don't understand, is when you got a 10 year old kid standing next to you, would you really pull out a pipe and start smoking pot? I was shocked at the audacity, and had to pull out the burley man status and tell them to move.

Kind of makes me sad that people wouldn't even consider it. :(

To these people I say boo :tsk:

I laugh at all the people that use the stoned vs. drunk argument.

Sometimes, you're both annoying to sober people.

True of everyone though, isn't it?

I'm pretty sure -- no matter what we do or don't do -- we are all annoying to someone else. So I'd say we shouldn't phrase it as "you are annoying to us" but rather "we're all annoying to each other."

Then maybe we can all laugh. ...or smack the living crap out of each other.

:D

I am a pot smoker and a huge U2 fan. I have smoked weed at many U2 shows in the past and I am wondering if anybody has smoked,or plan on smoking, during any of the 360 shows.

So, what do you think?

Don't smoke weed not that there's anything wrong w/ it but the job I do we are randomly drug tested & I LOVE what I do but we just got back from both ChiCLAWgo shows & my wife told me that both nights she smelled weed

Growing up in San Francisco, it's almost a given that people would be smoking around you at a concert or walking down the street (and some shows are stonier than others). The only time I ever heard someone complain was ironically at a U2 show on the indoor leg of the ZooTV tour in Oakland where a woman with her teenage son in tow made a very rude remark along the lines of "that MEXICAN is smoking marijuana" when a guy in front of us took ONE stealth hit off a joint. Everyone around us was appalled by her remark, not the guy. She then went to go get security who obviously had better things to do and never bothered to come back with her. I personally get a little uncomfortable sparking up around me when no one else is so I usually do the pre-show tune up if I'm gonna do anything at all (hate drinking at concerts cause I don't want to have to pee). U2 shows are such a natural high that I don't usually bother (but if you want to share, I wouldn't say no :wink:).

I hate coming home stinking of someone else's addiction.
:drool: agreed.

and i don't get the comparison between alcohol and pot. oh, i don't mind ecstasy users but those crystal meth addicts, hell no! give me some cokeheads any day.

most people act like idiots when drunk, stoned, whatever. i'd rather the people who need to be on some kind of substance just to enjoy a rock concert stay home. but at least with drunks, the smell of alcohol doesn't stay on my clothes. if someone's next to me drinking beer, it's not going to make me cough.

i probably sound like some tight ass, but i honestly don't mind people who take anything, really. as long as you don't smoke around me or spill beer on me, i don't mind what people do. it's their bodies.

IMO smoking weed at a U2 concert is probably the best place you could ever smoke. I feel bad for anyone who hasn't. Normal rules still apply...not around kids, and not if it's gonna be blowing right into peoples faces. If I were bono I would have been smoking a nice fat joint at the start of every zoo station...as long as i had some monster shades to hide it...

IMO smoking weed at a U2 concert is probably the best place you could ever smoke. I feel bad for anyone who hasn't. Normal rules still apply...not around kids, and not if it's gonna be blowing right into peoples faces. If I were bono I would have been smoking a nice fat joint at the start of every zoo station...as long as i had some monster shades to hide it...

I hear portable vaporizers are the new thing for shows. Keeps smell down and no matches. Magic-Flight
:applaud:

After reading the responses here I have a different slant on it.

I actually not a big fan of smoking in the venue due to the paranoia of getting caught and getting thrown out, but moreso the people around me. I am very mindful of the people around me who do not like it, but even more the kids at the show (especiall now being a parent) - I think it is bad to do it with younger people around.

I prefer to do all the damage to myself in the parking lot prior and then go in. It is much more fun finding your way to your seat, food, drink etc. when you are absolutely convinced 80,000 people are staring at YOU.

:applaud::up:

couldn't agree more

i'm sure i'll have a few drinks but don't like getting drunk at concerts that i really wanna see for the need to have to take a piss every 10 minutes...

don't smoke, but go in full well knowing the expectation that, at a rock concert, at some point, i'm going to smell weeeeeed. it's pretty much a given.

getting annoyed that the 50 year old dude in the tye dye shirt 2 rows back is smoking up is akin to getting annoyed that the dude at the bar is getting drunk, in my own opinion. i may be there to simply enjoy myself, and the drunk guy getting rowdy and bumping into people may be annoying, but, well, what the fuck do i expect? i'm at a bar.

i used to be terrible, chuffing away on ciggies at concerts (but then everyone around me was too), only i don't smoke at all now (i was only a rare secret smoker and obviously would never smoke when kids were around)

anyway, i took my kids to The Police concert and the smoke around us was awful, and it really upset me because my kid can get wheezy, and i'm really careful about keeping them away from cigarette smoke, and i have to say being at the concert with my kids, surrounded by chain-smokers in the seats, was a hideous experience... but if i'm on my own, without my kids, at a gig then i don't mind what people do around me...

i think the thing to do is look around you, and if there's kids i think it's a big no-no...

I was at a Coldplay concert and people were smoking up - fucking COLDPLAY... I mean, why?

Sounds like the only way to make it through a Coldplay concert, to me.

Sounds like the only way to make it through a CP concert to me. :wink:

Marry me.

:uhoh:

:tsk:

Don't you people understand that drugs are bad ... and illegal. We're not Nickelback fans here.

See elfa RE: Coldplay...and, apparently, Sonic Youth.

I hate coming home stinking of someone else's addiction.

Addiction? :lol:

I definitely don't dig it when people are smoking right next to us when we take our kids to concerts. Coldplay was bad, U2 in Chicago, in the inner ring had nothing. It was cool.

What I don't understand, is when you got a 10 year old kid standing next to you, would you really pull out a pipe and start smoking pot? I was shocked at the audacity, and had to pull out the burley man status and tell them to move.

Kind of makes me sad that people wouldn't even consider it. :(

I think people could use a little more discretion. Having said that, kids know about weed by the age of 12 around here. We go to 'family' outdoor concerts in the summer and there is always weed smoke. My son just laughs at it now, he calls them losers. (and no, I don't let him know that I used to smoke alot! :lol: )

oh, i don't mind ecstasy users but those crystal meth addicts, hell no! give me some cokeheads any day.

most people act like idiots when drunk, stoned, whatever. i'd rather the people who need to be on some kind of substance just to enjoy a rock concert stay home. but at least with drunks, the smell of alcohol doesn't stay on my clothes. if someone's next to me drinking beer, it's not going to make me cough.

Not to get into semantics..but popping a pill that makes one all lovey and friendly could hardly be a nuisance to anyone. Not condoning it, just sayin. But honestly..have you ever smelt spilled beer? It's really gross. Not to mention puke. :yuck:

getting annoyed that the 50 year old dude in the tye dye shirt 2 rows back is smoking up is akin to getting annoyed that the dude at the bar is getting drunk, in my own opinion. i may be there to simply enjoy myself, and the drunk guy getting rowdy and bumping into people may be annoying, but, well, what the fuck do i expect? i'm at a bar.

You could watch the DVD in the sanctity of your living room, you know! ;)

anyway, i took my kids to The Police concert and the smoke around us was awful, and it really upset me because my kid can get wheezy, and i'm really careful about keeping them away from cigarette smoke, and i have to say being at the concert with my kids, surrounded by chain-smokers in the seats, was a hideous experience... but if i'm on my own, without my kids, at a gig then i don't mind what people do around me...

i think the thing to do is look around you, and if there's kids i think it's a big no-no...

Valid point. My son noticed the weed at the Police concert, but to be honest he was really freaked out about the young couple who were out on acid or something beside us. They were scary, even to me.

I think the key with anything is moderation and not being a nuisance to your immediate neighbour. It won't kill you to move a bit, imbibe where it's cool to ie where others are, and that way everyone's happy :up:

There is always pot smoke at U2 concerts (in my experience). I would say that if you like to smoke the herb- go for it.... I dont think people are really going to stop you at a U2 concert. :wink:

oh and stoned people at concerts are usually pretty peaceful- its those drunk folks you have to look out for!

i'm sure i'll have a few drinks but don't like getting drunk at concerts that i really wanna see for the need to have to take a piss every 10 minutes...

don't smoke, but go in full well knowing the expectation that, at a rock concert, at some point, i'm going to smell weeeeeed. it's pretty much a given.

:up: I've been wanting to say something like this but I dont really feel like arguing with people. lol.

oh and stoned people at concerts are usually pretty peaceful- its those drunk folks you have to look out for!

This.

And all I'm going to say is that I dont really think its fair to compare weed and alcohol (saying that they are the same). Especially if you've never smoked it. They are VERY different and most people act completely different drunk then stoned.

I made the worst experience with people who were drunk, not with smokers.

Actually, as long as they're not smoking directly into my face, I don't really mind at an open air event.

But I've been pissed as hell about thousands of people smoking in arenas with "No smoking" signs all around. The smell is one thing, but there were times when I couldn't breathe properly and totally lost my voice because the air was so bad from all the smoking. :huh:

devil's advocate

if it says no smoking, don't smoke, you assholes.

You've never broken a law, right? Never speed, always come to a complete stop at stop signs...? :)

Look, I'm with you, personally I hate pot stench. But like Headache said, it's pretty much a given that if you go to a rock concert, you're going to smell weed at some point. Personally, I'm thankful that there are people like Sicy who are aware that it can and does annoy some people and refrain, but hey, we can't expect everyone to be like that.

No need to get all militant about it. :shrug:

You've never broken a law, right? Never speed, always come to a complete stop at stop signs...? :)

Look, I'm with you, personally I hate pot stench. But like Headache said, it's pretty much a given that if you go to a rock concert, you're going to smell weed at some point. Personally, I'm thankful that there are people like Sicy who are aware that it can and does annoy some people and refrain, but hey, we can't expect everyone to be like that.

No need to get all militant about it. :shrug:

oh, true. but just because i don't come to a complete stop doesn't mean i can't yell at everyone else who doesn't!

i'm very open to being a hypocrite :D

Personally, I'm thankful that there are people like Sicy who are aware that it can and does annoy some people and refrain, but hey, we can't expect everyone to be like that.

I hate enclosed smokey places as much as the next person. California has had a smoking ban inside all establishments for years now and while it was pretty hard to get used to for a while, I prefer it this way now.

I was just at a No Doubt concert recently and it was in an amphitheater that was completely out in the open air but smoking was not allowed inside the amphitheater. People around me were smoking cigarettes yet I got up and walked all the way out and down to the smoking section because that's just how I am. But when you think about it, it probably wouldn't have made much of a difference if I stayed there and smoked since everyone else was. :crack:

And all I'm going to say is that I dont really think its fair to compare weed and alcohol (saying that they are the same). Especially if you've never smoked it. They are VERY different and most people act completely different drunk then stoned.

Yes. Weed is better for you than Alcohol, and being with a really stoned person is usually better (most of the time) than being with a really drunk person.

i went to this rock concert and everyone was standing and smoking and drinking and singing. all i wanted to do was sit there and listen to the music. balderdash, i say. balderdash.

:shrug:

has anyone actually gotten puked on at a concert? i've been to a ton in my time, some fairly rowdy ones, and never ever even seen someone puke in the venue, durring the show. i'm sure it's happened, but i don't think there's this rash of drunken pukers just ruining concerts for everyone.

besides... perhaps they're not drunk. perhaps someone sneezed all over their pasta primavera.

Beav, you're still on interference?:applaud:

18000 posts, what a whore:applaud::love:

I'll do my "partying" in the parking lots on the 24th and if the coast is clear and the man aint shining flashlights in my grill, then the "partying" shall continue.

because that's how i roll.

peace and love people !

Back
Top Bottom