Marijuana and U2 360

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
funny i came across this post as i was at the opening show last night and commented to my buddies that i smelled 0 pot in the air. a far cry from popmart in memphis where the air was heavy with it.

Wait? they smoke weed at U2 shows?:huh:

:lmao:

Win. (Well this and the mask dig, also :up: )

I don't smoke as much as I used to - as in, I rarely even have it in my own possession, usually just partake if my brother is around or with friends, but even then most of them don't any more so it rarely comes up. On Elevation I had spliffs at both shows I went to. I think in Miami I was putting one out on the way into the venue and then pulled out another during the show. People I've met have been cool with it, I asked the couple right in front of me if they minded and they were like, nah, so long as you're sharing! Was more than happy to! ;)

On Vertigo I didn't smoke at any of the shows I went to, I don't think. I just didn't feel to, I guess. Can't really remember why I didn't, to be honest.

I might in Toronto, Toronto's pretty cool that way and there will be plenty of it, for sure. I love the smell of it, and when I'm at a U2 show and I see the haze / catch that sweet smell wafting my way I just smile cause I know someone's having a great time and so am I even if I'm not smoking. :up:

I'm sure there will be a lot of that going on at the Vancouver show :D

I smelled a little around me in Chicago last night. It wasn't a huge amount, and it wasn't constant. It bugged me a bit when it was there, but it certainly didn't affect my overall enjoyment of the show. I'm... extremely paranoid... about anything that messes with my brain (like, the thought of being sedated for medical reasons makes me feel slightly sick to my stomach, and I don't even drink caffeine), so naturally you won't find me smoking marijuana (or anything else, for that matter).

Lol

I don't smoke, don't advocate it, but would however find it hilarious to see the inner circle filled with 3,000 of these
U2-Walk-On-2009-360-Tour-Mask_08465AF7.jpg

with joints hanging out of their mouths.

Wildly inappropriate and funny as hell. WIN!

After reading the responses here I have a different slant on it.

I actually not a big fan of smoking in the venue due to the paranoia of getting caught and getting thrown out, but moreso the people around me. I am very mindful of the people around me who do not like it, but even more the kids at the show (especiall now being a parent) - I think it is bad to do it with younger people around.

I prefer to do all the damage to myself in the parking lot prior and then go in. It is much more fun finding your way to your seat, food, drink etc. when you are absolutely convinced 80,000 people are staring at YOU.

So I guess I do not mind when people are stoned at shows, but I am not a huge fan of people smoking right in the venue due to those that do not.

funny i came across this post as i was at the opening show last night and commented to my buddies that i smelled 0 pot in the air. a far cry from popmart in memphis where the air was heavy with it.
oh god, i was at that show too and i remember that! :crack: i think i got a contact high at the show.

so are you allowed to smoke at the european/american venues??? that's crazy, there aren't places left here you can smoke.,
i can't speak for all venues, but at soldier field in chicago, smoking's banned. not like that ever stops anyone though. :| kinda like how three guys were on the sidewalk somewhere today smoking right by the door to a restaurant. right behind them was a sign saying no smoking within 15 feet (~4.5 m) of the entrance. :|

:tsk:

Don't you people understand that drugs are bad ... and illegal. We're not Nickelback fans here.

It is much more fun finding your way to your seat, food, drink etc. when you are absolutely convinced 80,000 people are staring at YOU.
LOL-Ahh that wonderful feeling of paranoia!!
I'm cool either way, however I have to laugh (being of probably a more "vintage" age than most on these forums) when I think back to going to concerts 20 years ago (or more) and seemingly the entire stadium was smoking grass and tobacco- including the band(s), having tokes from joints thrown on stage. I think the beachballs bouncing around the concerts back then was entirely for the enjoyment of the "augmented ones".
Concerts and rock and roll used to be rebelious- I'm not saying that pot was the only way to rebel, as a young person, but it sure was ONE way, and a lot did it at concerts.
Today I'd rather be beside someone grooving to the tunes in a uephoric haze, than someone screaming, being obnoxious and/or puking from from too many vodka coolers!
Cheers,

I was at a Coldplay concert and people were smoking up - fucking COLDPLAY... I mean, why?

I actually find people drinking too much at concerts and turning into loud obnoxious assholes to be much more irritating...

But yeah, the fact that you paid all this money to be there and now you’re too drunk or stoned to even remember the night seems pretty stupid too me.

Also getting high at concerts can have a detrimental effect - you may actually like the music being performed when in fact it's pretty awful. I mentioned this in another thread recently but I can remember being high at a Lollapalooza show years ago and being completely in love with Sonic Youth, only to listen to their music sober the next day and discover how awful it was...

May as well throw my $0.25 in the discussion...

Don't smoke anyTHING anyWHERE anyTIME that anyONE who doesn't want to smell it or be around it will be forced to do so. Otherwise, you're selfish.

i'll tell you this. i don't smoke anymore. but if i wanted to, i wouldn't have where i was standing. there was a lot of security on the GA floor looking for smokers in Chicago.

I was at opening night in Chicago, GA about 10 rows back from the outerring. During the show I could smell pot a few times just like any other concert. No big deal, right?

Three times two security guards pushed their way through everyone sniffing the air and asking "Where is the reffer at?":lol:

I had never seen security care about this before and was surprised to see them and other fans trying to point them in the right direction. At one point they just stood around for ten minutes, not moving, smelling the air. A bit much. :doh:

I laugh at all the folks condeming smoking pot but, drinking yourself sick? Like the vast majority of the folks I see at EVERY concert (esp in Chicago where you don't need to leave your spot to get plastered)....that is fine.

I'll take a stoned person over a drunk person ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.

At Chicago II, I didn't smell any weed, but I caught some strong whiffs of sauerkraut! :D

I definitely don't dig it when people are smoking right next to us when we take our kids to concerts. Coldplay was bad, U2 in Chicago, in the inner ring had nothing. It was cool.

What I don't understand, is when you got a 10 year old kid standing next to you, would you really pull out a pipe and start smoking pot? I was shocked at the audacity, and had to pull out the burley man status and tell them to move.

Kind of makes me sad that people wouldn't even consider it. :(

I was in the inner circle last night for Chicago 2 and people were lighting up all around me. Security busted one person but only because someone threw a bitch fit and told on the guy.

I laugh at all the folks condeming smoking pot but, drinking yourself sick? Like the vast majority of the folks I see at EVERY concert (esp in Chicago where you don't need to leave your spot to get plastered)....that is fine.

I'll take a stoned person over a drunk person ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.

:up::up::up:

absobloodylutely!!!

The drunks get pissy and into fights, knock stuff over, spill their stinking sticky drinks on your shoes, and hit on you. That peace-y glazed look or the silly giggles or somesuch is way preferable to me. And while I can't say I have much experience hanging with people who smoke vast quantities, I don't see the smokers passing out much either.

Like others, I too noticed the security sniffing the air when I'd smell some weed in the Red Zone 2 on sunday, and once I even wondered if they were looking at me, lol, because I was all dance-y and the smell seemed to be right near me. I swear, I think one security guy even started sniffing suspiciously at the claw-fog!!! I wouldn't make eye contact with him for fear of being frisked or something, he looked scarily elmer-fudd-in-search-of-buggs about it all! Meanwhile there were very very drunk people standing right in front of him, one of whom was beginning to 'bug' me, but that's cool with security because it's just beer after all, sigh. Hey, 10 beers in one person, serve 'em some more no problem!

Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
I laugh at all the people that use the stoned vs. drunk argument.
Sometimes, you're both annoying to sober people.

absobloodylutely too! But the issue is why one is sooo discouraged (the one I happen to think is the less annoying) and the other is sooo encouraged, ya know?
I had a great time consuming only water all night, and I surely don't mind people doing what they feel they must to get in a party mood, but if I'd had a chance to vote on the drugs the people around me should consume a lot of lol, I'd have voted for the green bud over the yellow bud no question!

cheers all :wink:

Back
Top Bottom