Let's Speculate on Tour Schedules / U2 at Croke Next Year?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2 can do this in big markets like New York, Boston, Bay Area, Los Angeles, Philly.. But not in places like Texas, Arizona, Ohio, Michigan etc This is the main problem today: they can fill 2-3 stadiums in NY or Boston but maybe they can't fill a single date stadium in Cleveland.

On the other hand, this is a list of cities/state in which U2 can sellout an stadium easily:

-NY/East Rutherford (3 nights)
-Philly
-DC
-Boston (2-3 nights)
-Hartford? (small stadium)
-Buffalo?
-Chicago (2 nights)
-Los Angeles
-SF/Oakland
-Utah?
-Atlanta
-Denver

Plus Vancouver, Toronto (2 nights), Montreal and even Edmonton.

Vox

There are a lot of medium sized stadiums in the US that they could do. For example, Crew Stadium in Columbus holds about 25-30,000-ish. Saw DMB there last summer, not a bad venue.

It all depends on the US economy in 2009. It won't be as good as it was in 2005. That might have some effect on potential stadium dates or multiple shows in places like Detroit.

You know what would be really great? Besides touring in the big stadiums, giving the opportunity to fanclub members to attend a concert in low capacity arenas/clubs and thereby giving the possibility to see U2 in a very intime setting. Wouldn't that be cool! I remember The Stones in the 90s giving an unannounced surprise party in a club in Amsterdam (1500 attandance).

Oh that could be cool!

You know what would be really great? Besides touring in the big stadiums, giving the opportunity to fanclub members to attend a concert in low capacity arenas/clubs and thereby giving the possibility to see U2 in a very intime setting. Wouldn't that be cool! I remember The Stones in the 90s giving an unannounced surprise party in a club in Amsterdam (1500 attandance).

Oh that could be cool!

Mmm, Voodoo Lounge Tour? Stones announced one or two gigs at Paradiso, Amsterdam :drool:

Vox

It's official Take That are playing Croke Park this year; so unless U2 are only gonna do two dates looks like they won't be playing there

All depends on marketability and whether its an artistic progression that can be widely popular (Achtung Baby) or more on the Zooropa end.

I honestly don't think so. Robbie Williams, yes, but Take That ... their time is over.

I mean seriously their last album only went 8 times platinum in the UK; they are so over!

Wait isn't that twice what a U2 album would sell?

Does that mean U2 are doubly over?

I mean seriously their last album only went 8 times platinum in the UK; they are so over!

UH....:huh:

this is where I think I have to step in....

I'm hoping you are referring to merely the UK album sales because if not let me at least prevent you from going further down a misguided path:

U2 WORLD WIDE album sales (mostly estimates):

Boy : 3m
October : 3m
War : 8m
UABRS : 8m
Unforgettable Fire : 8m
WAIA : 2m
Joshua Tree : 20-25m (conflicting reports on the actual number)
Rattle & Hum : 14m
Achtung Baby : 15m
Zooropa : 8m
Pop : 6m
Best of 1980-90 : 16m
ATYCLB : 12m
Best of 1990-00 : 5m
HTDAAB : 9m
Total = apprx 140 million+ (and counting)

Now I must say, that just because an artist sells a bunch of CD's, the quantity doesn't necessarily validate the quality of the product. I mean for god's sake McDonald's sells billions and billions of burgers yearly...doesn't mean that their food is gourmet.

But if we are going to pit the album sales of two artists against each other, lets at least get our facts straight.

BTW, Mariah Carey has more #1 singles then the Beatles....enough said.

UH....:huh:

this is where I think I have to step in....

I'm hoping you are referring to merely the UK album sales because if not let me at least prevent you from going further down a misguided path:

Now I must say, that just because an artist sells a bunch of CD's, the quantity doesn't necessarily validate the quality of the product. I mean for god's sake McDonald's sells billions and billions of burgers yearly...doesn't mean that their food is gourmet.

But if we are going to pit the album sales of two artists against each other, lets at least get our facts straight. .

If I'm going to be giving UK sales certifications, I'm most likely to be referring to UK sales no? And in that regard my facts are straight, Bomb sold 1.2 million in the UK, Take That's last one sold 2.4; it's pretty obvious who the bigger band is in the UK (At least in terms of album sales). And when was quality even brought into this debate? If we're gonna take about quality half the the forum here would probably tell you U2 have been over since Pop :wink:. Saying a band's time is over when they're one of the biggest selling acts in one of the world's biggest music markets (I mean 2.5 million is rare enough in the US let alone the UK) is pretty stupid, especially when there last album sold twice as much as any of their others in the UK too.

oh and by the way my reply had a hint of sarcasm in it too in case that went unnoticed...

it just shows the sad state of music really. Or does anyone here want to say take that really is great....

it just shows the sad state of music really. Or does anyone here want to say take that really is great....

There's a thread in B&C about their new album :wink:

In all honesty, their singles since their comeback have actually been pretty decent for the most part. Take That - Robbie = Decent Music :wink:

Hmmm. So if they are looking at European cities for summer dates, then it is looking like they may be following their standard operating procedure of spring NorthAm, summer Europe, fall NorthAm and then perhaps late winter (2010) in Latin America/Down Under....We'll see if this holds up. They have to get that damn album out first unless they just decide to do a greatest hits tour. (Side note--I was figuring we wouldn't see that til they were firmly in their 60's, a la the Stones. lol)

Why? We know nothing about tour schedules now and there's no way U2 would go on tour without a new album out.

It could very well be that they're starting the tour in Europe this time in early summer with outdoor stadium concerts. I would love to see this.

Why? We know nothing about tour schedules now and there's no way U2 would go on tour without a new album out.

It could very well be that they're starting the tour in Europe this time in early summer with outdoor stadium concerts. I would love to see this.

:yes: a few -more or less- "official" rumors about European dates and nothing about US, I think it's possible they'll start in Europe this time :up:

I think it depends on the album, but if it's out in the first half of the year I can't imagine them not doing stadium in Europe in the summer so unless they release it super early next year tour in late spring in the US; Europe could be first up

Valid point-re: Europe first. I'm down with that. As always, assuming the freakin album ever comes out.

Why not? If they can break with the pattern of releasing albums before Christmas, they can break with that pattern as well.

I'd love to see this. :up:

Why not? If they can break with the pattern of releasing albums before Christmas, they can break with that pattern as well.

I'd love to see this. :up:

I just don't see the relationship between the date of their album release and whether or not they open their tour in America. I think the two are completely unrelated, though I do understand your point of "breaking patterns"

I personally would love to see that because that would mean that they could work out the kinks in Europe before coming over to the States. The difference between their early shows and their later shows is night and day. You couldn't pay me to go watch them on opening night of any tour.

I just don't see the relationship between the date of their album release and whether or not they open their tour in America. I think the two are completely unrelated, though I do understand your point of "breaking patterns"

I personally would love to see that because that would mean that they could work out the kinks in Europe before coming over to the States. The difference between their early shows and their later shows is night and day. You couldn't pay me to go watch them on opening night of any tour.

true,
but on the other hand you get to hear songs that are droped from the setlist later on
/personal opinion/ the 1st leg of VertigoTour was better than the 3rd leg

Back
Top Bottom