Let's Speculate on Tour Schedules / U2 at Croke Next Year?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But every tour since Zoo TV has been significantly more complex than JT, with songs that require more rehearsing. It's hard to just roll out of bed and play The Fly or Lemon.

The reason the PopMart tour was a disaster was because they were working on the album up until January -- the album was being mastered and they were still recording vocals and guitar parts.

I'm betting they finish the album in the fall and start rehearsals then. They will hold to their prep tour schedule so the tour starts without a hitch.

Again, Indy's reference to JT is correct. Little known fact: Island wanted JT out at the end of 86, but the band held it back until early 87. So there is a precedence for all this (beyond the disastrous POP).

I think that they are going to do stadiums in the US because they did arenas on the last 2 tours. I personally like the arenas better because it is more intimate and easier to get close. My prediction US in spring, Europe in summer, US in fall, rest of the world in 2010.

The reason the PopMart tour was a disaster was because they were working on the album up until January -- the album was being mastered and they were still recording vocals and guitar parts.

I'm betting they finish the album in the fall and start rehearsals then. They will hold to their prep tour schedule so the tour starts without a hitch.

Again, Indy's reference to JT is correct. Little known fact: Island wanted JT out at the end of 86, but the band held it back until early 87. So there is a precedence for all this (beyond the disastrous POP).

Don't apply the adjective 'disastrous' to Pop as though it is fact.

according to that the dates are summer dates but the tour will have kicked off in America which means spring/early summer dates :hyper:

damn I'm getting good at this whole speculation game :yes:

now someone tell me ten ways from sunday how I'm wrong, that's how it supposed to go I think :drool:

Your wrong.

We had rumours like these a year ago. These rumours have already been posted in the delayed album threads btw.

Can we take this as real? Is the Daily Mirror reliable?

The Daily Mirror is a tabloid. On the off-chance anything published in a tabloid actually aligns with reality in any way, it is in almost all cases pure co-incidence.

Leg 1: North America - Stadiums - March 2008-June 2008
Leg 2: Europe - Stadiums - July 2008 - August 2008
Leg 3: Middle East - Stadiums - August 2008
Leg 4: North America - Stadiums - September 2008 - November 2008
Leg 5: Southern Africa, Indonesia, Australia, China, Japan, select other places in Southeastern Asia - January 2009 - February 2009
Leg 6: Central America/South America - March 2009
Leg 7: Northern Europe(Iceland, Greenland, UK, Finland, Denmark, Russia, etc, finishing in Dublin) - Stadiums - June 2009 - August 2009

Nearly 18 months. Traverses the whole globe.

My garage April 2009
Rest of the world April 2009-Aug 2010
My garden Aug 2012

I can dream...

Forget about the accuracy of the Daily Mirror-as has already been pointed out, it's a tabloid and the actual story in question is a mixture of cut-and-paste, speculation and (at this stage) creative fiction. I seem to remember that the same paper, or something similar, printed stories in 2004 or so stating confidently (via the usual 'sources close to the band') that U2 were going to perform multiple shows in Phoenix Park on their next tour, when of course they ended up in Croke Park...

On a personal note, I have no particular problem with attending concerts in Croke Park as the atmosphere is great, although the sound quality does vary wildly depending on where in the stadium you are. I have to say that, from where I was, the sound was quite murky in 2005 (24th June show), but this could also be an engineering / sound mixing issue. Bon Jovi in 2006 at the same venue sounded fantastic, as did Robbie Williams a few weeks later. But other people I know who went to the same shows, but elsewhere in the stadium, could barely hear anything. That's the problem with outdoor shows.

I really do believe this will be U2's last world/major tour. I'd expect six legs. Two European and American legs. Central and South America getting another. The Pacific also gets one. The second European leg ends the tour.

Why would they stop touring now, barring a disaster involving either Bono's voice or Larry's wrists/back issue ?

...and I wouldn't say no to two Europe legs but I doubt it they'd ever do it post 1987.

Call it a feeling. I have a hard time seeing the band in their 50's go through the process of writing another album and undertaking another world tour.

If the Stones can get away with it why not U2. If they have the songs they will tour them.

Popular bands get addicted to the adulation of fans singing their songs back to them and U2 is no different.

U2 will quit when they get bored and feel they can't do any good music, or an individual band member wants to quit.

Call it a feeling. I have a hard time seeing the band in their 50's go through the process of writing another album and undertaking another world tour.

You've never heard of Aerosmith or the Rolling Stones, have you? Besides, 50 ain't that old.

Here's what I think would make a cool (and different!) schedule:

Late Summer 2009 - North 'merica
Winter 2009 - The Pacific
Beginning of 2010 - Latin America
-break-
Spring/Summer 2010 - Europa
Late Summer 2010 - N.A., again

All in stadiums... and this would work with weather around the world for stadiums. No having to deal with snow in a New England stadium in March.

The difference is that U2 has other interests that take up a lot of their energy and time. U2 are good family men too.

Personally, I can't see U2 taking the time to release albums regularly well into their 60's. They love the live experience, and if they had a choice...

It would certainly be easier on them physically to sit in the studio, but that doesn't sound like the U2 I know.

If the Stones can get away with it why not U2. If they have the songs they will tour them.

Popular bands get addicted to the adulation of fans singing their songs back to them and U2 is no different.

U2 will quit when they get bored and feel they can't do any good music, or an individual band member wants to quit.

mick jagger's in much better shape than bono and with much less to do with his time.

I don't see how it's impossible to tour in their 50s

one of my favourite guitarist is 56 now and has released an album in 2006,2007, and 2008 and still tours all the time; if U2 want to tour when they're in their 50s why not? they love it and there'll be demand

Back
Top Bottom