Length of show?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the edges plec

Acrobat
I have just been looking at the livenation website and according to the show info Wembley will get a 2 1/2 hr show whereas all the other Uk shows will be just 2,what's this all about:angry:

it's either
A) because they like Wembley better
B) because the internet is full of false 'info'

U2 will play for as long as they want to play for - hopefully well over two hours. They probably won't care too much about venue curfews either.

there's rumors on the internets.

Really? I'm shocked. :|
I thought everything on the internet is true.

Seriously, how can anyone say how long the show will last? I don't even think U2 can say that at the moment because they don't know. My guess is: Around the length of the Vertigo show, maybe 1-2 songs longer, but certainly not 3 hours.

a lot depends on how long Bono talks about Africa too. if it becomes our moment, our time again, then we're looking at 3 hours.

u2 shows are almost always between 2 hours and 2 hours and 20 minutes. They never play less than two and rarely over 2:20. But really, does it matter if one show is 2:15 and the next is 2:12? No. And you can bet no one but u2 will decide how long they will be playing at any given show.

They probably won't care too much about venue curfews either.

Really? Do they have a history of that?

From a business standpoint, it would seem foolish to get dinged and fined for stepping on curfews. The penalties for breaking curfews in the states are ludicrous

And U2 aren't exactly known for having free-wheeling anything-goes shows. At that level, I don't think anybody is, really.

From a business standpoint, it would seem foolish to get dinged and fined for stepping on curfews. The penalties for breaking curfews in the states are ludicrous

And U2 aren't exactly known for having free-wheeling anything-goes shows. At that level, I don't think anybody is, really.

I'm not sure about the monetary problems but I know if you have a multi-night stand in London and you break curfew, the subsequent nights are cancelled, which is why it's always better to see them on the last night of a London run.

not sure whether the predicted earlier start at wembley has anything to do with the shows being filmed.

If anything wouldn't you expect them to start later when there is less daylight?

Its probably to do with the very strict curfew imposed by the council around Wembley (Brent?) of 22.30 for every concert.

I wish they'd extend their shows into the 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 hour mark. 2 1/2 should be the minimum and this could extend out to 2 3/4 on 'special' nights.

I think that some, if not all, of the Vertigo Dublin shows overran. At the concert I went to, Bono even made a light-hearted 'apology to the neighbours' (the Croke Park residents association), briefly turning down the PA system volume, before cranking it all the way up to 11 for the last song - Vertigo 2.

all I know is I don't want to hear one fucking word about africa. That was soooo 2005.

:)

U2 concerts are usually 2 hours or 2 1/2 hours depending on the mood the band is in. I think there have been some concerts that have clocked under 2 hours as well, but those are few and far between.

Expect between 22-30 songs.

Stadium shows sometimes tend to be a little longer simple because of all the effort put into them. 23-25 songs a show

SMB

not sure whether the predicted earlier start at wembley has anything to do with the shows being filmed.

If anything wouldn't you expect them to start later when there is less daylight?

Its probably to do with the very strict curfew imposed by the council around Wembley (Brent?) of 22.30 for every concert.

there is a strict curfew at Wembley because the eco-mentalists in the local council banned on site car parking for all but a handful of people willing to pay large sums of money to do so- so there is a wacking great big car park that is largely empty because they want everyone to be "green" and use our outmoded, unreliable public transport system to go to the show- so you get 60,000 people using a pokey underground station.....

and in order to get people back to Waterloo or whereever the show has to end at 10.30pm- Madonna busted that curfew last year and it caused no end of problems for those using the trains (although I would happily have left early from that show if I'd been on the train)

they have overrun in Dublin which probably irritated the locals a fair bit

well, if they wanted to play longer, I think it's smarter to start earlier in stead of going over curfew... But U2 almost never plays longer than 2:15. It's pretty exhausting an probably this is the timepoint where they get tired.

Remember, they are not as fit anymore as say...Bruce springsteen :) I was at the Pinkpop festival last saturday, where they played an amazing and already legendary show! they started at 20:15, curfew time was 22:30 and at 23:00 the last song finished. He played 3 requests from the audience and changed his whole setlist while performing: WHAT A SHOW!!!

u2 shows are almost always between 2 hours and 2 hours and 20 minutes. They never play less than two and rarely over 2:20. But really, does it matter if one show is 2:15 and the next is 2:12? No. And you can bet no one but u2 will decide how long they will be playing at any given show.

Then done a bunch of shows that hover around the 1:50 mark. But it's usually 2 hours, give or take a couple songs.

Shows are usually a bit longer at the start of the tour than at the end.

This tour may be a bit different with so many off days.

Back
Top Bottom