Larry's LG Monitor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok. Realised that I have a photo from Sheffield that shows Larry has the lyrics to the songs on his LG screen.........puzzle solved.

You can also see Bono's monologues scroll on Larry's screen (most noticibly at the start of Elevation at the Rose Bowl broadcast - "Are you ready to get off the ground?" is clearly seen on Larry's screen a good few seconds before Bono actually says it. Unfortunately neither the video clip of Elevation nor the full concert are available for viewing).

Yup, he wants more OS1.
:lol: I can imagine!

IEMs do not replace floor monitors completely. Those are kept for lower frequencies.

False. Bono's IEMs (and any decent pro IEMs for that matter) handle lower frequencies quite fine. If he keeps his IEMs in, he needs absolutely no floor monitors and as a matter of fact can't hear much of anything coming from those monitors, anyways, as his IEMs are custom-fitted and isolate most if not all outside sound.

Coupled with their in-ear click metronomes I still think this is cheating to a certain degree.

To me the metronome is more offensive than the teleprompter.

That's crazy talk. They're essential in the environment U2 performs in and type of songs (highly regimented due to Edge's delays and backing track elements).

I was wondering why Larry had the lyrics scrolling up on a screen in front of him. I saw it clearly during one of the early songs (Magnificent I think) in Phoenix. I guess the drum beat changes during the chorus and bridge part of songs, and also Larry chooses when to end some songs so he can check that "Yup! We're done."

yes, u2 uses teleprompters for EVERYTHING. even on bono's "impromptu" speaches...

YouTube - U2 and Bruce Springsteen - I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

i was sitting behind the stage for that rock hall of fame show... and every word of his little speech was up there on the biggest teleprompter you've ever seen. there were a lot more lines on it too... which is i think why bruce interupted him and got him to the song. there was at least another 4-5 lines after the liberation bit.

and yes, there is a teleprompter on the stage during 360. take giants stadium for example...

YouTube - U2 - She's The One / Desire (Bruce Springsteen) 09/23/09 complete Giants Stadium, NJ HQ 16x9 360º

bono keeps looking down... so either the specs give bono super charged vision so that he can read the 14 font for an entire song without mixing up the lines from 6..ok... 5 1/2 feet up, or he's got a teleprompter in his monitor.

and the thing is... who cares? everyone does it... as has already been stated, the great and glorious master of setlists changes himself, bruce springsteen, uses a teleprompter.

bruce even patched the teleprompter feed into the video backdrop at giants stadium so that the crowd could sing along to the world premier of Wrecking Ball, which he wrote for the closing of Giants Stadium...

only he had a little oops moment and the teleprompter ran over-time and started flashing the words to the next song, badlands, up on the screen. bruce called an audible and moved badlands to the end of the first set to try and make it less obvious what happened... but yea, oops.

YouTube - The Wrecking Ball September 30 2009 World Premiere! Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band

If you are going to have a few drinks maybe a spliff and still perform for the crowd it nice to have the words scrolling in front of you. Everyone expects shows to be spontaneous but as in U2 case it is scripted tighter then a movie. Stand here on the bridge for Camera Angle or walk here for Camera Angle. Guess that is what makes it possible to be the biggest grossing band of all time.

But me really thinks they are playing their own Rock and Roll video game during show.
:wink:

I have seen Eddie Vedder and Michael Stipe have a notebook with Lyrics at live shows. Stipe actually throws them out to crowd sometimes.

hell, you can see the reflection of them RIGHT AT THE START :lol:

what's a mirrorball doing on the floor at 2:26 ???? :|

You can see the monitors at 1:22 and 2:32 in the official YouTube vid of MoS at the Pasadena gig. And during Bono's rap at the end of the song too.

YouTube - U2 Moment Of Surrender - Live from the Rose Bowl

yea i suppose the unfortunate side effect of turning all the house lights off tp better see held cell phones is that the teleprompters light up like a christmas tree at the same time.

i really don't mind any artist who uses a teleprompter... i just find it corny that bono puts his cheesey between song lines into the teleprompter, but eh, whatever. i only wish that the use of the teleprompters would actually, ya know, help him remember the words...

Yeah - we need some new news.

There is tumbleweed blowing 'round this place.

Hope everyone has Happy Holidays.

Anyone have any photos of some steel trusses to get me through?

:wave:

Yeah - we need some new news.

There is tumbleweed blowing 'round this place.

Hope everyone has Happy Holidays.

Anyone have any photos of some steel trusses to get me through?

The tumbleweed before the tornado, it should all pick up again in a month or two!

Back
Top Bottom