Larry's LG Monitor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bono has had the teleprompter for years. Still he's very .... flexible and dynamic with the lyrics :D I guess it's there mainly to give him some confidence and security. What Larry's monitor is for, I don't know. Maybe he can watch sports or something when Bono is doing a longer speech.

no way he didnt have it for years, he forgot the lyrics to walk on last year in chicago, had to go below the stage for the lyrics

Bono uses that teleprompter more than ever lately. It's seems at times he looks for the words before he gives himself a chance to recall them.

I'm pretty sure all those monitors are fake; they've been obsoleted by IEMs since ZooTV. At any rate, at least since Vertigo, they've stuck a teleprompter in one of Bono's "monitor" cases. You can see it clearly on the Vertigo Honolulu footage; if you have the high-definition three-cam mix, you can generally even read what the teleprompter says. I'll see if I can grab a screenshot.

IEMs do not replace floor monitors completely. Those are kept for lower frequencies. Bono also sometimes pulls his ear monitors out and goes commando.

^Exactly

IEMs are nice but are sometimes difficult to guage the sound as a whole, so monitors are still key. Bono didn't start using a teleprompter till late in Vertigo tour.

I remember vividly in Barca on the rail that Bono has a computer monitor (dell or lg) as a telemprompter. Because they stage is so tall you cant really notice it easily. Larry also had the same type in front of his kit. My guess is it's hardly used by Larry except for the few lines he sings during the chorus of Unknown Caller.

I remember vividly in Barca on the rail that Bono has a computer monitor (dell or lg) as a telemprompter. Because they stage is so tall you cant really notice it easily. Larry also had the same type in front of his kit. My guess is it's hardly used by Larry except for the few lines he sings during the chorus of Unknown Caller.
The required cursing at Bono when he puts in a wrong verse or a wrong snippet probably appears on-screen!

Well Bono was certainly making it up as he went along during Bad on Saturday night - and all the better for it.

IEMs are nice but are sometimes difficult to guage the sound as a whole, so monitors are still key. Bono didn't start using a teleprompter till late in Vertigo tour.

I don't think so, he had that teleprompter since opening night on Vertigo.

I wonder if the teleprompter displays the lyrics karaoke style for Bono, with a little ball jumping around, indicating where exactly in the song they are?! :hmm:

I wonder if the teleprompter displays the lyrics karaoke style for Bono, with a little ball jumping around, indicating where exactly in the song they are?! :hmm:

haha. probably not for bono, but I thought it would for larry during unknown caller! I don't know if you've seen the graphics during the song, but there is a karaoke style text for the Oh oh oh ooohhs, restart etc etc.

wasn't one of the monitors a teleprompter?
I also believe Bono has used teleprompters before. I sat behind the stage during Vertigo once and he definitely had a monitor in front of him, at his feet. He doesn't use it as a teleprompter for every song, obviously. Neither does he use it for songs that he decided to sing impromptu on stage. That's why sometimes he still forgets them and there's no saving him (except The Edge sometimes comes to the rescue... :D). But I have seen him look down at his feet when he's covering a song by someone else (maybe it was Instant Karma?) or when he's changed the lyrics for a verse in one of their songs for special occasions (I saw him do this during Elevation Tour, I think).

Oops, forgot to add, during Elevation and Vertigo setlists have always been written down on paper.

Last edited:
Oops, forgot to add, during Elevation and Vertigo setlists have always been written down on paper.
That's still being done. I saw a vid of the intro of a show, Dublin I think it was, and you could see somebody going on stage and quickly taping the setlist to the ground.

Fun fact: The Rolling Stones had the location they were playing written down on a paper and taped somewhere so if they wanted to say something about, they were sure it was the right one (Like Bono in Melbourne, I think it was)

That's still being done. I saw a vid of the intro of a show, Dublin I think it was, and you could see somebody going on stage and quickly taping the setlist to the ground.

Fun fact: The Rolling Stones had the location they were playing written down on a paper and taped somewhere so if they wanted to say something about, they were sure it was the right one (Like Bono in Melbourne, I think it was)

Most setlists have dates and cities listed. Both for use of the performer that night and bcause fans/techs collect setlits.

Bono did have a "Detroit, Ohio" moment in 2001.

Well the second time I saw them that tour I had seats backstage, and Bono had two monitors, no teleprompter, setlist was on paper, and in fact had to bring the lyrics to WGRYWH out on paper...:shrug:

Setlists were always on paper. WGRYWH was mostly done at the tip of the Ellipse where he didn't have a teleprompter. Which shows did you see?

:lol: I was 2nd row in the ellipse for this show. My favorite show of the whole tour. Those are my popups. Still laugh when I remember that song.

Edge, Thank you Sydney! :wink:

:lmao: I so love that vid!

:lol: I was 2nd row in the ellipse for this show. My favorite show of the whole tour. Those are my popups. Still laugh when I remember that song.

I remember seeing this video! I'm so proud it was someone here at Interference that did those popups. Great job! :applaud::applaud:

Last edited by a moderator:

I suspect when Bono takes a bow in the beginning of each show he reads the setlist paper to get the name of the city they're playing in that night. :D

watch

Bono sings the entire second verse from his lyrics sheet and evens laughs out loud about it... he seems slightly embarrassed about it.

Speaking of teleprompters... I know that Bono read his entire MacPhisto speech off of one in Sydney... or so it says in U2 ATEOTW. That's why he is kind of facing down the whole time (you can easily see him reading lines off of it). In this case, it's not distracting because it really fits with MacPhisto's aura of old, broken-down Englishness.

There was also a line about Michael Jackson's penis in the original speech, but, as Bono read it on the teleprompter, he had a sudden vision of Jackson killing himself over it and decided to skip it.

The setlist is always on paper.

I think Bono's teleprompter (Elevation/Vertigo years) has a glass faceplate that limits the angle for which you can read the lyrics (ie so he can basically read them while he is right in front of them, but the majority of the audience cannot.)

I am also fairly certain the same box was used on the Elevation tour but am having a hard time finding photos to verify this, also I could not find mention of it in my Elevation tour write up here:

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f269/about-u2-staging-production-elevation-tour-73666.html

I do, however remember bitching about his use of a teleprompter ever since that tour. Coupled with their in-ear click metronomes I still think this is cheating to a certain degree.

To me the metronome is more offensive than the teleprompter.

Back
Top Bottom