Johannesburg and Cape Town PreSale/GenSale

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Celine Dion did a huge tour back in February 2008. Durban, Cape Town, Port Elizabeth, Pretoria and Johannesburg.

Robbie Williams did Cape Town, Durban and Pretoria (that's only 3 though, plus in 2006).

That's all I can think of really.

Add to that A. R. Rahman and Elton John, if I'm not grossly mistaken.

According to a message, posted an hour ago by the promoters on facebook, 80% of all tickets are now sold out.

According to Big Concerts, GA for Johannesburg + Cape Town is sold out (with Cape Town GA selling out an hour later than Joburg). There are still seated tickets left. Rather great sales in my opinion.

As reported by Eyewitness News: In Touch, In Tune and Independent an hour ago:
As the rush for U2 tickets continue, Big Concerts said on Sunday Computicket’s systems never actually crashed but admitted that sales were very slow at some points.

At the weekend, thousands of people went online or queued at Computicket outlets to book a seat at one of the Irish super group’s performances in Johannesburg and Cape Town early next year.

Tickets were all but sold out only hours after going on sale on Saturday, despite the sporadic system problems

Big Concerts’ Justin van Wyk said: “We broke records. We sold 150,000 tickets in the first day. We sold 30,000 tickets in the first hour, which is unprecedented.”

.. And there's me thinking u2 will Get russian / turkish style half empty stadiums.

The skeptical side of me really hadn't expected these shows to sell so well. Nice stuff.

That would be cool, but I would rather see them add their third show in Durban at either ABSA Kings Park Stadium (55,000) or Moses Mabhida Stadium (70,000).

I received a response to my email to Computicket regarding the possibility of a second Cape Town show:

"Unfortunately U2 will not be able to perform a second show in Cape Town or Johannesburg for their 360 Tour as there is not enough demand. Tickets are still available for their shows in Johannesburg on the initial dates from computicket. Although unfortunately Cape Town is already sold out."

You can take the response for whatever it is worth.....the fact that Cape Town is sold out suggests to me that there is enough demand for a second show....maybe someone needs to buy up the remaining Johannesburg tickets ASAP and then some shows will be added :hyper:

I received a response to my email to Computicket regarding the possibility of a second Cape Town show:

"Unfortunately U2 will not be able to perform a second show in Cape Town or Johannesburg for their 360 Tour as there is not enough demand. Tickets are still available for their shows in Johannesburg on the initial dates from computicket. Although unfortunately Cape Town is already sold out."

You can take the response for whatever it is worth.....the fact that Cape Town is sold out suggests to me that there is enough demand for a second show....maybe someone needs to buy up the remaining Johannesburg tickets ASAP and then some shows will be added :hyper:

The stadiums they're playing in are HUGE (World Cup stadiums), and there might not be enough demand to sell out the Cape Town Stadium once more. That's just my skeptical side though.

Once Johannesburg sells out, they should add Durban, not until then because Durban is a lot closer to Johannesburg than Cape Town.

I think the 2 shows are selling out pretty quickly in comparison to some of the shows on the 2009/2010 legs of the tour (Moscow, Istanbul, some US venues which still have tickets available a year after the sale date). I wonder whether the promoters in SA think that people wouldn't go to the show twice in the same city. For those who are traveling abroad to see shows it's generally the idea that you go to multiple shows, if possible. What do the SA audiences typically do in the event there are multiple shows in the same city?

Definitely don't think this is enough demand for a second show. Just look at Australia - first shows sold like hotcakes everywhere, yet there are STILL tickets available for most of the second shows, nearly two months after the sales. The South African shows sold about six times as slowly, in a country with a lower level of disposable income. Doubt they'd see a second show as a risk worth taking.

Sorry to be off-topic a bit.

But any word on who will be opening for these SA shows?

Most of the time, whenever U2 travels to these exotic locations, some sort of obscure musical act ends up opening for them.

Just curious.:hmm:

What I'd give to be able to go back to Cape Town and see this show. One of the truly loveliest cities in the world. Anyone who can make it - GO GO GO!

if you're going to call australia and new zealand exotic, we've had kanye west and jay z lately. if that's obscure i'm not here.

I wasn't calling Oz and NZ exotic. Sorry.:reject:

I referred to SA as exotic because U2 has been there only once before. For Popmart, I have no clue who was opening for them.:lol:

Just saw that Kings of Leon are playing a show in each Jo'burg and Cape Town, in these very same stadiums?? I didn't realize Kings of Leon were that big elsewhere, cause here in America they usually play 1/2 to 3/4 full arena shows. Granted not in 360, but still. They're a pretty good band, but their stage presence is ZERO... how can they entertain a stadium?

Good christ, really? I was appalled enough that, down here, they have sufficient demand to schedule two arena shows in both Melbourne and Sydney.

FYI, there's a ticket drop going on for the Johannesburg show right now-- I was able to get a GA a few hours ago. :)

Back
Top Bottom