Is this tour the begining of the end?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I haven't been through all the posts (can't be arsed) but to the original post... honestly, i've seen 2 shows so far on the 360, going to the show tomorrow night 2 mins from my house and can't wait. You really can't make a true judgement of this tour until you see it in the flesh... my advice would be ignore all the commentary.. don't worry and analyse about it... U2 are in a league of their own and the gigs i've seen are very very special.

and if I see another "is bono OK?" response I'm going to headbutt my computer.. it's really condecending to posters and lazy humour.. sorry but it's bugged me for a long time..

come back and comment once you have seen a live show on this tour!!

sorry...don't mean to sound 'harsh'... i just don't understand how people who have not even seen a show yet talk about it being dull and uninspired. If you still feel that way after you go and see the show, than fine - you have right to your opinion.. but to have such a strong opinion before seeing it...little premature, don't ya think?

the beginning of the end for U2 was when they released that awful Joshua Tree album piece of shit. wow, what a horrible 11 songs that was! :yuck:

actually it was because nothing they have done since then or will ever do will top that album.
I for one, did not care for that album too much when it came out. I've come to appreciate it more over the years, but was not an immediate fan. Achtung Baby is tops for me. NLOTH is pretty darn close too. I'm extremely excited about this show, regardless of the mixed reviews. I DO wonder why they say (Bono says) that we're going to get tired of them over the next couple of years (a lot of new music coming out). I'm wondering why so much so quickly. Maybe to fulfill their commitment to the record label and then make an exit, with one more tour before the end? Just a (terrible) thought. Don't crucify me. Does anyone know how many albums they have left to their commitment?

I cant believe the initial post on this thread. I have been to 3 shows - both Wembley and Cardiff, and they are the top 3 gigs I have ever been to. Last night in Cardiff was the best, Absolutely superb. This is the best band in the world on the very top of their game.

Dont judge them by the reviews, the video clips or the bootlegs. They have to be seen to be believed. U2 360 live is a wonderful experience.

I'm wondering if they will tour again after 360 is over. I'm sure they'd want to go out on a high note. We have one more album guaranteed, what if they just release music without tours..we'll see I guess. Don't mean to steer off-topic though but this is what "the end" in my mind as per this topic.

come back and comment once you have seen a live show on this tour!!

sorry...don't mean to sound 'harsh'... i just don't understand how people who have not even seen a show yet talk about it being dull and uninspired. If you still feel that way after you go and see the show, than fine - you have right to your opinion.. but to have such a strong opinion before seeing it...little premature, don't ya think?

I have to explain AGAIN, what my original post was. I was not saying that this tour was dull and uninspired. I was asking the question because I had read more negative stuff about this tour than the previous two. I was not giving my opinion. I would not comment on a show a hadn't seen!!! It see\ms that I have made that clear more than once on the thread.

I have to explain AGAIN, what my original post was. I was not saying that this tour was dull and uninspired. I was asking the question because I had read more negative stuff about this tour than the previous two. I was not giving my opinion. I would not comment on a show a hadn't seen!!! It see\ms that I have made that clear more than once on the thread.

Why are you surprised by the reaction with a thread title like "Is this the beginning of the end?"

Also, what are you reading?? If anything the reaction to this tour has been extremely positive.

Why are you surprised by the reaction with a thread title like "Is this the beginning of the end?"

Also, what are you reading?? If anything the reaction to this tour has been extremely positive.

I will admit that the title of the post might have been a little dramatic, I wanted to ask if other felt that way. I have read great things about this tour, but also have read more negative things than usual. This thread had nothing to do with my opinion of the band. I love the passion there is in the defense of this band!!!!

Before this tour my last U2 gigs were Boston Vertigo dates December 4 & 5 2005. They were exceptional and I half expected the 360 tour in the stadium setting to be a dissapointment in terms of intimacy and emotion. I was wrong. Having seen 360 twice in Zagreb and twice in Wembley I have to say it is an exceptional tour. Whether you see it from the cheap seats up with the gods a half mile away (in which case you get spectacular sound and an amazing light show) or from the front row of the inner circle (both of which we've done) the show is extraordinary. Much better than Popmart was and even better than ZooTV outdoors.

I think the 360 concept is working better now than at the start of the tour. I did get the impression the band felt a bit exposed and took a few nights to get on top of the scale of the thing. Now they have the confidence back to play their hearts out and really enjoy it.

No Line On The Horizon would be a great show opener it just creates so much energy in the stadium. And even Elevation/Vertigo/Boots which I never listen to on home audio come alive superbly in the stadium. North America you are in for a treat.

The tour has been the perfect blend of new material, old material, forgotten gems, and songs never played live before (Electrical Storm), and Bono's voice has sounded the best it has in years and on top of that shows have been selling out like mad.

So no, it's not the begining of the end. When you see a show for yourself you will be able to judge for yourself.

These rumors about this being "the last tour" and the band "being fed up with eachother and splitting up" are getting SO depressing.

Didn't anyone watch the BBC rooftop gig?

"Thanks for sticking with us over the years - Or If you've just turned up for the first time... Get ready 'cause we're not going away any time soon!" ~Bono

Before this tour my last U2 gigs were Boston Vertigo dates December 4 & 5 2005. They were exceptional and I half expected the 360 tour in the stadium setting to be a dissapointment in terms of intimacy and emotion. I was wrong. Having seen 360 twice in Zagreb and twice in Wembley I have to say it is an exceptional tour. Whether you see it from the cheap seats up with the gods a half mile away (in which case you get spectacular sound and an amazing light show) or from the front row of the inner circle (both of which we've done) the show is extraordinary. Much better than Popmart was and even better than ZooTV outdoors.

I think the 360 concept is working better now than at the start of the tour. I did get the impression the band felt a bit exposed and took a few nights to get on top of the scale of the thing. Now they have the confidence back to play their hearts out and really enjoy it.

No Line On The Horizon would be a great show opener it just creates so much energy in the stadium. And even Elevation/Vertigo/Boots which I never listen to on home audio come alive superbly in the stadium. North America you are in for a treat.

Can't wait!!:dancing::dancing::dancing:

I have not seen a show from this tour yet. I will be going to Tampa on 10/9. But Reading posts and reviews on this and other sites I'm getting the feeling that on this tour the band seems uninspired. When I saw U2 on the POPMART tour I felt that they had spent so much money and time on the spectacle itself that they as a band seems small and uninspired. I hope that U2 hasn't gotten to the point where they are on there way down. As much as I love this band I don't want them to turn into a has been band that doesn't matter anymore.

Thoughts?

Playing stadiums you have to put on a big show. Popmart suffered because Zoo TV/Zooropa tours were just awsome. This show / production does not detract from the band but enhances it. I've just seen them in London and Cardiff and they are definitely still committed and very passionate about the music. Red Zone tickets both dates and they had fun, both nights. Yes they are making a huge amount of money (also donating a large chunk to charity ).
The sound was perfect from where I was. First and last songs are not the best but everything inbetween rocks. Set list may change for USA and yes they have not mixed it up too much, but then look back at their set lists from 1987 through 2005, only 3 or 4 songs changed on those tours too.
America enjoy...............

Why U2 are starting to ... lose me with '360'!

Now, friends, I'd like to share some feelings and thoughts, I've had while attending some European shows in summer 2009. I've been an U2 album listener since 1984, a so-called die-hard fan since 1987, and have attended U2 concerts on a regular basis since 1992.
I own U2 –apart from spending a lot of energy, time and money on them as a kind of a fun 'hobby' and kind of religion:- – beautiful, beautiful memories. The really did write a sooundtrack to my life, and during a few personal, some very special encounters I was able to thank them for that.
U2 have been my band, mainly because of the music, because of the lyrics, but also the ability of getting along to find a third way: on the narrow edge inbetween being popular mainstream, being part of the establishment – and having an indvidual voice, being a sincere force against this establishment, against injustice.

It is all about this world of emotions, in the end – but this in 2009 I haven't felt for the first time, while seeing the concerts. This is already the first point: It is not a concert anymore, it is a show. When listening to band interviews and audience voices, the first (and often only) words you get are all about the (specacular) design of the stage, the lights etc. – it's all about the look, not the songs.
Looking at their number and statistics, go to U2gigs.com - U2 360� tour news, pictures, reviews, it is not, what does interest me this time. It is the selection for the setlists, and the way, how they were performed:
- Only 7 tunes were played from the current album, which as an album is fine, even excellent – but its reflections do not fit a stadium show like this. I say, the attempt to bring an intimate work like NLOTH into a beer stand, mass crowd, chatting, phone dialing ambience does not work, it might have worked better in an inddor location, I assume.
- The choice to start the show with "Breathe", followed by another fixed three from the album (NLOTH, GOYB, "Maginificent") does not do better. After the pure hysteria, when the band came out, in every show I witnessed, how all most of the arms went down and remained there until "Beautiful Day", which has a nice new intro, which does rock – though to end the tune with the same snippets just like you did in 2005/06 is bit of a creative let-down for me personally.
- The next section proves, how strange this '360' thing works, how much confusion is here. You have had tunes like ISHFWILF, AOH, "Desire", SIMYCGOO or "Stay", you even had at the beginning a non-single like IAW (rare exception for these Greatest Hits, keep it safe, dominated setlists!). But in the end it was a disappointment to see these tunes being all there is – after the initial hopes and statements, U2 do want to play stuff, they haven't done for a a long time or they never have played so far (aka "Drowning Man", the too soon to be forgotten ES etc.). From the Amsterdam & Dublin days on, the band obviously decided that another power song has to follow BD, but that went on the expense of the following 'flexible' slots in the set.
- From there on, let's say UC, you have had the autopilote run just until the last notes of MOS, when the show was over, and big parts of the audience already have left the building! Yes, it was simply breathtaking to witness TUF live (played and sung excellent!), but it was also sad to see the Greatest Hits played in exactly this (often sloppy) form: cut short, one after the other – if it is SBS (will be interesting, if U2 at least have the courage to show the 'Radio Teheran' performance in the USA – I doubt it!) or "Pride", if it is MW or WO. And, yes, "Bad" was an exception, less than a handful of times. A great tune, but we have heard much better versions on every single night it was performed during ZOO TV, Elevation and Vertigo.
- Too much machine, a band that obviosuly has no hunger anymore, and a lack of inspiration that also produced the worst ever version of a gem like WOWY. Some people might think that IGCIIDGCT is pure fune – good, but the same quality you find on every third-class Mallorca beach party.

I do not know, where U2 see themselves at the moment as artists, but I'm really interested in, where they will head for from this megalomaniac mass-entertainment. ZOO TV and POPmart however were on another level, these show-concerts had a concept and brain, something that is missing in '360' with its failing flow of songs. I'll decide then, whether I still will follow. Only a few single moments of the classic U2 beauty, mixed with aching echos of nostalgia, will not be enough. I hope they do rediscover their courage as artists and musicians ...

As the dust settles.........

I am of the opinion that, 360 tour does NOT come close to comparing with Zoo TV or Popmart as a visual extravaganza. before the show, and now after, having sampled it in person, I fail to see why people are creaming themselves over the 360. I am guessing that most who are in that position never experieced Zoo Tv or Popmart in person?
There are no mind blowing graphics etc on the 360. Its just a big screen showing the band onstage for the most part. Dont get me wrong, Its Still a fantastic show. Stage aside, theres nothing really groundbreaking tho.

I dunno, when I saw the BBC film of the Reading & Leeds festivals, the staging (big thing at the end of the venue) looked positively archaic.

The rest of the commentary I have too much to mention here :wink:

Now, friends, I'd like to share some feelings and thoughts, I've had while attending some European shows in summer 2009. I've been an U2 album listener since 1984, a so-called die-hard fan since 1987, and have attended U2 concerts on a regular basis since 1992.
I own U2 –apart from spending a lot of energy, time and money on them as a kind of a fun 'hobby' and kind of religion:- – beautiful, beautiful memories. The really did write a sooundtrack to my life, and during a few personal, some very special encounters I was able to thank them for that.
U2 have been my band, mainly because of the music, because of the lyrics, but also the ability of getting along to find a third way: on the narrow edge inbetween being popular mainstream, being part of the establishment – and having an indvidual voice, being a sincere force against this establishment, against injustice.

It is all about this world of emotions, in the end – but this in 2009 I haven't felt for the first time, while seeing the concerts. This is already the first point: It is not a concert anymore, it is a show. When listening to band interviews and audience voices, the first (and often only) words you get are all about the (specacular) design of the stage, the lights etc. – it's all about the look, not the songs.
Looking at their number and statistics, go to U2gigs.com - U2 360� tour news, pictures, reviews, it is not, what does interest me this time. It is the selection for the setlists, and the way, how they were performed:
- Only 7 tunes were played from the current album, which as an album is fine, even excellent – but its reflections do not fit a stadium show like this. I say, the attempt to bring an intimate work like NLOTH into a beer stand, mass crowd, chatting, phone dialing ambience does not work, it might have worked better in an inddor location, I assume.
- The choice to start the show with "Breathe", followed by another fixed three from the album (NLOTH, GOYB, "Maginificent") does not do better. After the pure hysteria, when the band came out, in every show I witnessed, how all most of the arms went down and remained there until "Beautiful Day", which has a nice new intro, which does rock – though to end the tune with the same snippets just like you did in 2005/06 is bit of a creative let-down for me personally.
- The next section proves, how strange this '360' thing works, how much confusion is here. You have had tunes like ISHFWILF, AOH, "Desire", SIMYCGOO or "Stay", you even had at the beginning a non-single like IAW (rare exception for these Greatest Hits, keep it safe, dominated setlists!). But in the end it was a disappointment to see these tunes being all there is – after the initial hopes and statements, U2 do want to play stuff, they haven't done for a a long time or they never have played so far (aka "Drowning Man", the too soon to be forgotten ES etc.). From the Amsterdam & Dublin days on, the band obviously decided that another power song has to follow BD, but that went on the expense of the following 'flexible' slots in the set.
- From there on, let's say UC, you have had the autopilote run just until the last notes of MOS, when the show was over, and big parts of the audience already have left the building! Yes, it was simply breathtaking to witness TUF live (played and sung excellent!), but it was also sad to see the Greatest Hits played in exactly this (often sloppy) form: cut short, one after the other – if it is SBS (will be interesting, if U2 at least have the courage to show the 'Radio Teheran' performance in the USA – I doubt it!) or "Pride", if it is MW or WO. And, yes, "Bad" was an exception, less than a handful of times. A great tune, but we have heard much better versions on every single night it was performed during ZOO TV, Elevation and Vertigo.
- Too much machine, a band that obviosuly has no hunger anymore, and a lack of inspiration that also produced the worst ever version of a gem like WOWY. Some people might think that IGCIIDGCT is pure fune – good, but the same quality you find on every third-class Mallorca beach party.

I do not know, where U2 see themselves at the moment as artists, but I'm really interested in, where they will head for from this megalomaniac mass-entertainment. ZOO TV and POPmart however were on another level, these show-concerts had a concept and brain, something that is missing in '360' with its failing flow of songs. I'll decide then, whether I still will follow. Only a few single moments of the classic U2 beauty, mixed with aching echos of nostalgia, will not be enough. I hope they do rediscover their courage as artists and musicians ...

Ahem, nice, that my post/thread has been moved – but this thread has not that much to do with my statement here. Get the feeling, that negative statements regarding the tour are collected here.:ohmy:

^ What did you expect? Knowing some of your comments from the past I honestly didn't expect anything else from you.

I'm actually glad all the negativity is collected in one thread because I know which thread I have to avoid in the future.

In fact I've just completed my U2 tour diary today because it's a rainy day and I had a lot of entrances to make. I felt a little sad in the end because it's all over and I recall all the concerts I've seen so fondly that I hope the memories will carry me through some of the possibly not so great times that may come now.

I can honestly say that U2 have not disappointed me this summer and that I'm really looking forward to whatever comes next, be it a new album or another leg of the tour.

I have so many positive memories of the shows and I've had experiences that I will never forget. I know that there will always be things people complain about and of course there are things that U2 could do or shouldn't do, but these are, at least for me, small and umimportant things compared to the overall joy I experienced at these concerts.

I hope there will be some more positivity in this forum once the tour resumes in the US and more people get to see the shows and see how great this band is and what an amazing live show they are still able to put on. Sometimes it's better to go there with an open heart and mind and just enjoy the show and the atmosphere instead of over-analyzing everyhing and being too critical or intellectual. I think many are robbing themselves of a really great experience by being overly critical.

So whoever is going to the US shows: Enjoy the show, have a great time. I'm sad it's over for me, at least for this year, but I'm sure there are many more great things to come from U2.

And no, I don't think it's the "beginning of the end", like the OP is suggesting :wink:

^ What did you expect? Knowing some of your comments from the past I honestly didn't expect anything else from you.

I'm actually glad all the negativity is collected in one thread because I know which thread I have to avoid in the future.

In fact I've just completed my U2 tour diary today because it's a rainy day and I had a lot of entrances to make. I felt a little sad in the end because it's all over and I recall all the concerts I've seen so fondly that I hope the memories will carry me through some of the possibly not so great times that may come now.

I can honestly say that U2 have not disappointed me this summer and that I'm really looking forward to whatever comes next, be it a new album or another leg of the tour.

I have so many positive memories of the shows and I've had experiences that I will never forget. I know that there will always be things people complain about and of course there are things that U2 could do or shouldn't do, but these are, at least for me, small and umimportant things compared to the overall joy I experienced at these concerts.

I hope there will be some more positivity in this forum once the tour resumes in the US and more people get to see the shows and see how great this band is and what an amazing live show they are still able to put on. Sometimes it's better to go there with an open heart and mind and just enjoy the show and the atmosphere instead of over-analyzing everyhing and being too critical or intellectual. I think many are robbing themselves of a really great experience by being overly critical.

So whoever is going to the US shows: Enjoy the show, have a great time. I'm sad it's over for me, at least for this year, but I'm sure there are many more great things to come from U2.

And no, I don't think it's the "beginning of the end", like the OP is suggesting :wink:

Wow, you seem to be completely 'cleared' by U2h: Just don't answer to a (critical) statement made, but to tell instead that everything is great, awesome, beautiful. On the other hand, I seriously appreciate, you liked the spectacle.:hmm: What I expected was more intimacy, more emotion, more spontaneity, more courage from a musician's, artist's perspective. By the way: I'm happy, I did not disappoint you. You know me better, than I know myself.:lol:

I just don't think the mods want everyone's personal experience to become it's own thread(or it would be a nightmare), your post didn't bring much new, it restated what a handful of people have already said...

Some people will get it, some won't, it happens every tour.

oh i have no point really, i just say a lot of random stuff and then disappear into the wind.

But really, you mention selling out, as in now? I would say this current album and tour really isnt the band "selling out". Id say its quite ground breaking and bold (given the previous two outings). And the current album is not selling out, imo, its good but look at the radio charts and you should be able to see that.

If anything this band has done could be considered selling out, one would have to look at the past two albums this decade and songs like Vertigo and the ipod commercial. Not that theres anything wrong with that, just trying to find a little bit of perspective here.

:hug:

:up:

I just don't think the mods want everyone's personal experience to become it's own thread(or it would be a nightmare), your post didn't bring much new, it restated what a handful of people have already said...

Some people will get it, some won't, it happens every tour.

Thanx, mate ...

Sometimes it's better to go there with an open heart and mind and just enjoy the show and the atmosphere instead of over-analyzing everyhing and being too critical or intellectual. I think many are robbing themselves of a really great experience by being overly critical.

:up:

i was feeling kind of down about the setlist a couple weeks ago (wishing there were more 90's songs and that they'd kick Breathe out of the setlist for Fez-Being Born), but i've kind of stepped away now. when i see them in Chicago in 13 days, i'm going in expecting absolutely no changes in the set, but i'm going to enjoy it for what it is....seeing my favorite band live. it's not their fault that i've followed their setlist every night. :D

Brilliant post this. Sums it up perfectly. I agree with all you're saying 'ZOOTVTOURist' and you've put it very eloquently with great thought and consideration to all your words.

You're entitled to your thoughts and will always be flamed by those who worship the 'church of U2.'

Keep posting:applaud:

Back
Top Bottom