Is this tour the begining of the end?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The setlist seems pretty dull , and they don't seem to be mixing it up very often. I get the impression of a band that is done experimenting and is getting a little lazy.

I don't like buying into these arguments but this is what I don't understand.

If you'd asked any member on this forum before the tour started how they would describe a setlist that includes Stay, Until the End of the World, Bad, Ultraviolet, The Unforgettable Fire, new songs and more,I doubt they'd have said dull.

I know this place can be addictive, but some people r eally just need to go for a walk or something.

OMGZ!!! IS BONERS OK!!?

:|

I have to laugh at some of these posters who haven't been to a show yet and start a bunch of shit threads saying U2 is on the decline! U2 is crap! They aren't moving around alot! (That's because robots took their place...shhh) The setlist sucks! Ridiculous. I'm so sick of these threads.

^this.

IMO people CANNOT judge this tour NOR the setlist NOR the performances UNLESS they've seen it with their own eyes, had the experience.

Bootlegs do NOT compare to the live thing. :| Not by far.

I know mostly people joke with threads like these, but I'm getting SICK of all the negativity around here. Why do people seem to sign up solely to complain about the band?
If you've complaints, go elsewhere. Go to a fucking coldplay forum, they hate U2 so they'll welcome you with open arms!

^this.

IMO people CANNOT judge this tour NOR the setlist NOR the performances UNLESS they've seen it with their own eyes, had the experience.

Bootlegs do NOT compare to the live thing. :| Not by far.

I know mostly people joke with threads like these, but I'm getting SICK of all the negativity around here. Why do people seem to sign up solely to complain about the band?
If you've complaints, go elsewhere. Go to a fucking coldplay forum, they hate U2 so they'll welcome you with open arms!

Wow! :sad: Everyone calm down here. It is called freedom of speech and if you don't like the negativity, then don't read the thread. I love and defend the band as well, but everyone has a right to their opinion. :D

I actually find the negativity from people who haven't even seen a show quite humorous.

Personally, I don't live my life that way and find no reason to criticize a show I haven't myself experienced, but that's just me. :shrug:

I've thoroughly enjoyed the four shows I've seen (in Barcelona & Dublin) and that's really all that matters to me.

Exactly. I reserve judgement before I have seen it in person. Bootlegs and videos don't do it justice. Setlist parties are fun, but can in no way replace the real experience. I feel sorry for people going into a show with prejudice and negative expectations. The best thing that can happen to you is that you will be positively surprised.

I would like to add that all the reviews on Q radio - texts and call-ins - from people who either listened to the broadcast or were at the show - are overwhelmingly positive. One guy complained about bad sound, but other than that everyone is saying the Sheffield gig was amazing, best ever, etc. Doesn't really sound like the "beginning of the end" to me...

On the basis of what I've seen tonight, no. Bono's voice is not getting worse, in fact since 2005 it has improved and the performances were generally sharp (particularly the new material, which sounded better live). But perception is often more important and in the public sphere, a commonly held is that U2 haven't quite taken the world by storm this year. The album is misunderstood, and so, to an extent, is the tour. But that does not mean it is the beginning of the end, far from it and Songs Of Ascent will provide an opportunity to regain momentum- so perhaps, would some setlist changes.

I think today's gig at Sheffield ended any discussion about this tour being the beginning of the end. I was only listening on line and I could feel the energy and I was very impressed, especially with the old warhorses that I am so critical of!

I feel very sorry for the people who are going to spend the next 18 months frowning and complaining on here about setlists, which is entirely pointless.

The album is misunderstood, and so, to an extent, is the tour.

just curious - what's misunderstood about the tour? the album got mixed reviews - some glowing, some not-so-glowing. I think a lot of that can be attributed to it being less immediate than the last two... the reviewers don't listen to the album 20 times and wait two months before they review it; they give it one or two listens and give initial impressions. but most of the reviews of the tour - of people who have actually been there - have been very positive, from what I've seen.

Well I've been there, so don't try to pull that one, pal (if you weren't implying that, I apologise). I've read some pretty mixed reviews from the British quality press- on the basis of Sheffield, those reviews were puzzling but the fact is they have been written.

Most British media doesn't like U2. And it always depends on who is writing the review. From some reviews I've read it's kind of obvious that a U2 hater is just trying to bash the band and has just waited for an opportunity to do so.

A couple of bad reviews from British media don't mean more than any other reviews. The majority of reviews I've read from media in all kinds of countries has been very positive. I always find it interesting how two reviewers who have seen the same gig can have such a different experience. In the end, it all doesn't matter. The only thing that's important is how you yourself experience the concert. The fans have to like it. Most media guys are snobs who don't even pay attention to the concert or who leave halfway through. I couldn't care less about what they're saying, because if I have enjoyed a concert, my own impression is much more important than what's written in a paper.

Well I've been there, so don't try to pull that one, pal (if you weren't implying that, I apologise). I've read some pretty mixed reviews from the British quality press- on the basis of Sheffield, those reviews were puzzling but the fact is they have been written.
You're obviously a new U2 fan and have only read recent reviews in the British press. The British press (music and general) has been slagging off U2 since Day 1.

Wow! :sad: Everyone calm down here. It is called freedom of speech and if you don't like the negativity, then don't read the thread. I love and defend the band as well, but everyone has a right to their opinion. :D

This has ZERO to do with freedom of speech. Freedom of speech does not mean people can use it as an excuse for meaningless negativity.

You have a right to your opinion, if it's well argumented. Bitching about a show YOU HAVE NOT EVEN SEEN is fucking ridiculous. Go see a show and THEN bitch, I don't mind that, but the fact people bitch without even SEEING it themselves, THAT is what goes down the wrong way with me.

Maybe you should go be friends with the UK press. They 'love' the band as well.

This has ZERO to do with freedom of speech. Freedom of speech does not mean people can use it as an excuse for meaningless negativity.

You have a right to your opinion, if it's well argumented. Bitching about a show YOU HAVE NOT EVEN SEEN is fucking ridiculous. Go see a show and THEN bitch, I don't mind that, but the fact people bitch without even SEEING it themselves, THAT is what goes down the wrong way with me.

GG stop making sense:ohmy:

LOL

The British Press was pretty savage for Zoo TV and PopMart as well - two tours you seem to compare this one to.

In the context of U2, freedom of speech is unconditional. It does not merely exist for people who agree with you or argue their case with a lawyer's rigour. It is there for everyone, Galeon Girl.

the beginning of the end for U2 was when they released that awful Joshua Tree album piece of shit. wow, what a horrible 11 songs that was! :yuck:

actually it was because nothing they have done since then or will ever do will top that album.

In the context of U2, freedom of speech is unconditional. It does not merely exist for people who agree with you or argue their case with a lawyer's rigour. It is there for everyone, Galeon Girl.

what she says is true though - if you are going to complain about something you have never witnessed personally it nullifies your opinion in the eyes of those that have.

I have never been to New York City - I can tell you what my opinion about it is based on TV shows or Movies I have watched but my opinion really doesn't stand up against someone who lives there.

I was not BITCHING about a show that I have never see. I was posing a question to hear what the fans of this forum thought about what was being said about this tour.

COULD THAT BE ANY CLEARER????

I have a question for a lot of the North Americans who are complaining... Have you even seen the show yet?

SMB

That is what I want to know too, but I already probably know the answer, NO! They won't bitch after they see a show.

Back
Top Bottom