Is this tour the begining of the end?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hate the "it should always be in an arena" nonsense. I was at wembley on Friday, and it was not only the best U2 gig I have been to, it was the best gig I have ever been to. there is no way that kind of joy can be reached in an arena.
U2's music needs aeroplanes flying over, a full moon, the stars and even the stadium's shape/style itself. that way you never know whether it was a coincidence or just might be part of the show! to quote Bono: Their music doesn't have a roof on its head!

I always wonder about the psychology behind posting a thread like this before ever attending a show on the tour.

It seems that if you say anything about U2 that some other people do not like, you get flack on this site :angry:. You have a right to your opinion. I am going to see U2 in Boston and have not been to any of the shows yet; however, as much of a u2 that I am...and I am...I love them. I, too, wish that they would not put on the spectacle with the big stage, etc. My first concert was the PopMart Tour and I hated it. It was too much, uninspired and it took away from their music and their connection with their audience. Now, I know that the band did this 360 stage in order to make the audience the "5th member" of the band, but I prefer the concerts inside, more cozy, more connection, closer to the band. I loved the last few tours.

And it seems if you defend the band who's fanforum you are on you get flack. Honestly, threads like this garbage come out twice a day on here.

Move on

who the fuck is U2 anyway? and who the fuck are all you people....hey...why the fuck do i have "Mrs." in my name? Im a guy for fucks sake!!! What the fuck is really going on here!!!???

i feel like i just woke up from a wonderful coma to find out real life isnt all that its cracked up to be.

NURSE! GIVE me some fucking drugsssssssss!!!

NURSE!!! i was dreaming about your nurse!!!

(she's pretty hot btw_) :drool::drool:

:angry:

WOW!!!

U2 fans really defend them!!! I started the thread never thinking that it word turn into such a heated discussion!!! Let me clarify, I am a RABID U2 fan!!! I don't like to read or hear bad things about my favorite band, but I am the type of fan that would hate to see thier decline. I can't remember a time that I didn't love their music, I was about 10 years old when I first heard U2 and ever since I 'v e been hooked!!! I started the thread because it seems that alot of people are rooting against U2, that they have become"sell outs". There are very few bands that have tried to challenge themselves musically like U2 does.

It seems that for many they have become too big.

WOW!!!

U2 fans really defend them!!! I started the thread never thinking that it word turn into such a heated discussion!!! Let me clarify, I am a RABID U2 fan!!! I don't like to read or hear bad things about my favorite band, but I am the type of fan that would hate to see thier decline. I can't remember a time that I didn't love their music, I was about 10 years old when I first heard U2 and ever since I 'v e been hooked!!! I started the thread because it seems that alot of people are rooting against U2, that they have become"sell outs". There are very few bands that have tried to challenge themselves musically like U2 does.

speaking of decline, you are familiar with ATYCLB and HTDAAB aren't you?

Yep

your point is?

oh i have no point really, i just say a lot of random stuff and then disappear into the wind.

But really, you mention selling out, as in now? I would say this current album and tour really isnt the band "selling out". Id say its quite ground breaking and bold (given the previous two outings). And the current album is not selling out, imo, its good but look at the radio charts and you should be able to see that.

If anything this band has done could be considered selling out, one would have to look at the past two albums this decade and songs like Vertigo and the ipod commercial. Not that theres anything wrong with that, just trying to find a little bit of perspective here.

:hug:

WOW!!!

I think you're getting the responses you're getting because we're not sure how serious to take you. The talks of declines, getting too big, uninspired, sellouts, etc have come up with every new tour since R&H. And you're either unaware of this, or you're pretending not to know in order to get a rise :shrug:

I for one loved my Popmart show (Salt Lake City), actually it blew me away. I love indoor shows too but I'm excited to be seeing another stadium show (Honolulu was the last one). I don't feel the spectacle detracts.

Boom-cha
Boom-cha
Boom-cha
Boom-cha
Discothèque...

C'mon, all of you sing with me.

On a side note. I'm a person that has some problems with some things, but they don't bother me to the point of starting a thread. That's just it. I'll go on living. I'm happy that U2 and its music exist for my own reasons. Ergo, no probs with the tour or whatsoever. I'm going to see them and that's what matters. If they stop being relevant, welll... I guess that'll suck for those that care about that.
But then again, realistic a little? 12 year deal with Live Nation? Don't worry, it's not hard to keep anyone relevant... not if you're backed up by millions of dollars. (Of course, there's exceptions. But there's reasons - and since I'm not attempting to write a thesis, I won't explain them - for me to believe that U2 won't be one.) Be sure that as long as those 12 years go, they'll be relevant.
But then again, relevance is a relative term. They can sell 50.000 copies and still have relevance to me. It's all about us in the end, huh?
And after all, they still make the best music I've ever heard, so I guess there's a few important people that agree with me and that shall be enough to keep them relevant whichever is your point of view.
Talked too much... and don't bother to quote... I won't get into any discussion on the matter.

OMGZ!!! IS BONERS OK!!?

:|

I have to laugh at some of these posters who haven't been to a show yet and start a bunch of shit threads saying U2 is on the decline! U2 is crap! They aren't moving around alot! (That's because robots took their place...shhh) The setlist sucks! Ridiculous. I'm so sick of these threads.

It seems that if you say anything about U2 that some other people do not like, you get flack on this site :angry:. You have a right to your opinion. I am going to see U2 in Boston and have not been to any of the shows yet; however, as much of a u2 that I am...and I am...I love them. I, too, wish that they would not put on the spectacle with the big stage, etc. My first concert was the PopMart Tour and I hated it. It was too much, uninspired and it took away from their music and their connection with their audience. Now, I know that the band did this 360 stage in order to make the audience the "5th member" of the band, but I prefer the concerts inside, more cozy, more connection, closer to the band. I loved the last few tours.

I always love how people can complain about a show they haven't even seen yet.

I'll never understand how anyone can say they don't want a huge stadium rock show when U2 is exactly about that. They are the ultimate stadium rock band and they are indeed able to turn a big place into an intimate place.

Not liking big stadium rock shows and being a U2 fan simply doesn't go together, in my opinion.

And the boys have proved that they are indeed able to play small intimate places, but not for such a big world tour. It's good the way it is. It's an amazing show and I wish I'd be able to see more shows this year.

OMGZ!!! IS BONERS OK!!?

I have to laugh at some of these posters who haven't been to a show yet and start a bunch of shit threads saying U2 is on the decline! U2 is crap! They aren't moving around alot! (That's because robots took their place...shhh) The setlist sucks! Ridiculous. I'm so sick of these threads.

But don't you know that U2 have been on the decline since the Boy album? :sad:

oh i have no point really, i just say a lot of random stuff and then disappear into the wind.

But really, you mention selling out, as in now? I would say this current album and tour really isnt the band "selling out". Id say its quite ground breaking and bold (given the previous two outings). And the current album is not selling out, imo, its good but look at the radio charts and you should be able to see that.

If anything this band has done could be considered selling out, one would have to look at the past two albums this decade and songs like Vertigo and the ipod commercial. Not that theres anything wrong with that, just trying to find a little bit of perspective here.

:hug:

I have never used the term "selling out". I am not one to be bothered like some about the last 2 albums being too commercial. ATYCLB and HTDAAB may not be U2's most adventerous albums but I love both. The new album is great also, but at first listen I knew that it was an album that would have to grow on me, and it did. It hasn't had the huge success of the previous 2 albums, but who cares??? It is is great that these guys still want to explore in the studio, it just seems that that may not be the case live.

I have been counting the days since the tour was announced!!! My question was based on some negative things that i have read. Yes, most of the things are positive, but i have seen a higher number of negative things said about this tour.

Don't believe all the negative things you read. NLOTH was slashed in the press and it's very fashionable to say negative things about U2.

Research things for yourself. Wait until you've actually seen the show!:hyper:

I hate the "it should always be in an arena" nonsense. I was at wembley on Friday, and it was not only the best U2 gig I have been to, it was the best gig I have ever been to. there is no way that kind of joy can be reached in an arena. U2's music needs aeroplanes flying over, a full moon, the stars and even the stadium's shape/style itself. that way you never know whether it was a coincidence or just might be part of the show! to quote Bono: Their music doesn't have a roof on its head!

:up:

Iron Maiden always play outdoors whenever possible (depends on the season of course). At one of their concerts it was as if they ordered the weather storm with the light show. Last year there was an eclipse during the concert. These are concerts you'll never forget, they're amazing! :drool:

I hope U2 will do the same thing next time and play outside!:cute:

OMGZ!!! IS BONERS OK!!?

This :up:

and the same people will be like this best concert I ever seen after they went to a show

Well, the World is gonna end in 2012 so we can say 2009 is the beginning of the end :up:

To me, I really don't care. I'll dye next year, anyway. I'll be 26 and I know deep inside and since I was born that I shall not pass the 26 mark.

Sad :sad:, but true.

Back
Top Bottom