Is this the highest priced tickets for a stadium tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I never got this whole market value argument because I see bands as artists who want fans to hear their music

In reality the actual market value of these U2 gigs could be £200 per GA as there are probably enough hardcore U2 fans to pay that - but at the end of the day they will be pricing a lot of fans out that just cannot afford it - it comes down to where you draw the line

So whilst £200 may be a reflection of the market values, even £50 is expensive for a lot of people in the UK. As someone else says, there is a difference between what you can AFFORD to pay and what you are WILLING to pay.

Yea but they prob don;t demand as much money!
What are you talking about? DEMANDING compared to who?

Actually most are unioned and they have set prices.

So whilst £200 may be a reflection of the market values, even £50 is expensive for a lot of people in the UK. As someone else says, there is a difference between what you can AFFORD to pay and what you are WILLING to pay.

Sounds like a happy compromise to me...

What are you talking about? DEMANDING compared to who?

Actually most are unioned and they have set prices.

Sounds like a happy compromise to me...

A performer onstage with Springsteen probably gets paid 50-100x times than 1 crew memeber, so they ask ask/demand/deserve a lot more money.

A performer onstage with Springsteen probably gets paid 50-100x times than 1 crew memeber, so they ask ask/demand/deserve a lot more money.

I wasn't comparing crew with performers... You were mentioning stage set up and ticket prices and the crew is a factor.

For you yes, but not for all seeing as tickets were still floating around on TM and apaprently some were even taking losses on eBay. Seems its not the general concensus.

Seriously, what are you talking about? Go back and read the statement I was commenting on... People are taking losses on a 50 ticket?

prices for US shows are out now. and they are NOT anywhere near the craziness that other bands are charging.

Basically, tix on the 50 yard line in the lower section, and lowest rows are $95!!! there are only a few sections on each side that are the $250 seats.

also stadiums with club seats (like Gillette, where your seat comes with attached bars and restaurants at the top of the section) are $250.

This is way more than fair, and the total $$$ brought in for a sold out show will be much less than the other tours mentioned in this thread.

Seriously, what are you talking about? Go back and read the statement I was commenting on... People are taking losses on a 50 ticket?

Someone else mentioned losses were being incurred on some tickets on eBay - I would presume the crappy 150+ SC seats would be the main victim.

I wasn't comparing crew with performers... You were mentioning stage set up and ticket prices and the crew is a factor.

I said Springsteen have more performers - whilst you said U2 have more crew members

My point was that the performers at a Springsteen gig probably have a wage bill almost as big as mst of the crew. Therefore the performers at a Springsteen concert are probably one of the reasons ticket prices ar high.

Someone else mentioned losses were being incurred on some tickets on eBay - I would presume the crappy 150+ SC seats would be the main victim.

Ok, but we were talking about GA tickets, man you convolute the subject more than a politician.

And anyone who is already selling the 150 tickets on Ebay is a moron and doesn't know what they are doing...

I was talking about ticket prices in general - I used GAs in my example above just to say the prices are cheaper than they could have been.

I think where they have got the pricing wrong is mainly in the seats anyway for this tour

What it comes down to is whether or not you think the ticket prices are fair.

Cheaper than 'market rates'? Yes
Fair price for the avg man on the street? No

I am not convulting the subjects, its just that there are a few strands of discussion going on.

I was talking about ticket prices in general - I used GAs in my example above just to say the prices are cheaper than they could have been.

I think where they have got the pricing wrong is mainly in the seats anyway for this tour

What it comes down to is whether or not you think the ticket prices are fair.

Cheaper than 'market rates'? Yes
Fair price for the avg man on the street? No

I am not convulting the subjects, its just that there are a few strands of discussion going on.

I don't know how anyone can say they are cheaper than market rates but not fair for the average man on the street. You even admit they are cheaper than they could have been... That just doesn't make sense. I think you are even confusing yourself at this point.

Honestly it just seems like you think every ticket should be 30 and no musician should be able to break even or let alone profit.

OK so if Michael Jackson wanted to charge £1000 per ticket for his shows do you think that would be fair? because I am willing to be he would still sell out.

Concert tickets are slightly diffrent to most consumer products because peopel have an emotional attachment to them that they probably don;t have to most things they buy.

OK so if Michael Jackson wanted to charge £1000 per ticket for his shows do you think that would be fair? because I am willing to be he would still sell out.
If people are that stupid, so be it.

Concert tickets are slightly diffrent to most consumer products because peopel have an emotional attachment to them that they probably don;t have to most things they buy.

Tell that to an art dealer. "I don't think $1000 is a fair price for this painting because I have an emotional attachment to it..." She would laugh and say "so did she and she was willing to pay $1000".

If people are that stupid, so be it.

Tell that to an art dealer. "I don't think $1000 is a fair price for this painting because I have an emotional attachment to it..." She would laugh and say "so did she and she was willing to pay $1000".

So basically your example says U2/Art dealer should sell their product to the highest bidder regardless of what they are able to pay? Considering what the avg person in the UK can probably afford on a night out... Theres no point comparing a 1 on 1 when its a case of potentially pricing out thousands of fans.

If you just want to say that U2 are a business that want to charge the highest price they can get away with then you can do so and this argument will be over.

I am sure we will have a lot of 'stupid' people who can't really afford it stretching themselves to see U2 this tour, because they love the band and the experience.

So basically your example says U2/Art dealer should sell their product to the highest bidder regardless of what they are able to pay? Considering what the avg person in the UK can probably afford on a night out... Theres no point comparing a 1 on 1 when its a case of potentially pricing out thousands of fans.
No, my example was just there to debunk your "music is different because we're emotionally attached" theory.

And luckily U2 aren't selling to the highest bidder, we'll leave that to the scammers on Ebay.

If you just want to say that U2 are a business that want to charge the highest price they can get away with then you can do so and this argument will be over.
Well part of it is business, if they weren't smart business people they wouldn't have lasted this long, they would have gone bankrupt.

And they could charge a much higher price and get away with it, but they haven't, a fact that seems to really be eluding you.

No, my example was just there to debunk your "music is different because we're emotionally attached" theory.

And luckily U2 aren't selling to the highest bidder, we'll leave that to the scammers on Ebay.

Well part of it is business, if they weren't smart business people they wouldn't have lasted this long, they would have gone bankrupt.

And they could charge a much higher price and get away with it, but they haven't, a fact that seems to really be eluding you.

So do you agree or disagree that there are people out there that will pay more than they can afford to see their favourite band because they really really want to? If they only had tickets that were £100 out of your comfort zone woudl you stretch your finances to buy one?

Secondly, they are selling to the highest bidder for some tickets, but since that is allegedly for charity I will let it slide.

As I have said, I believe that they could charge a higher ticket price but that is totally irrelevant to the argument, it would just make them greedier than I think they are now.

edit - I am not denying their right to make a profit, just that they offered us recession busting prices, which are not really that cheap at all.

So do you agree or disagree that there are people out there that will pay more than they can afford to see their favourite band because they really really want to? If they only had tickets that were £100 out of your comfort zone woudl you stretch your finances to buy one?
People live out of their means all the time, that's not U2's fault. Talk about a stretch... I mean seriously, you are really stretching...

Secondly, they are selling to the highest bidder for some tickets, but since that is allegedly for charity I will let it slide.
Oh, how big of you. The "allegedly" speaks volumes of your bias and where you are coming from...

As I have said, I believe that they could charge a higher ticket price but that is totally irrelevant to the argument, it would just make them greedier than I think they are now.

And now we are back to the original point, and that is you have no f**king clue as to how greedy the band is being. You could only know that if you knew how much it was costing them, which is the very subject you have been talking around since we've started this debate.

edit - I am not denying their right to make a profit, just that they offered us recession busting prices, which are not really that cheap at all.

What other comprable act could you see for 30 or 55? I doubt there are many, Springsteen didn't give you that option...

Your real argument is why such a big production during a reccesion? They could have played stripped down shows in smaller venues, oh but wait then you would have had a harder time getting a ticket...:hmm: Yeah, it doesn't really look like your argument holds any water any way you look at it...

the problem is i dont think they will seel out a 2nd wembley show at those prices

wembley 1 is still not sold out

On a tour being promoted by Live Nation the concept of "sold out" has been so corrupted as to be meaningless anyway. They will simply tag virtually every show as "sold out" regardless of whether or not it all the tickets were actually sold (witness Madonna being "sold out" in Cardiff with 30,000 fewer people in than U2 in 2005 and 22,000 fewer than she had in 2006).

We will see if that is the case or not. They are selling most of the A-block tickets at the O2 (and alot of the lower tier) at £770 - £795 under the guise of VIP tickets. In addition thousands of tickets have been shoved to Viagogo to be sold at massively inflated prices. The best ticket I've seen people pull via the sales was row T in block A2.

On a tour being promoted by Live Nation the concept of "sold out" has been so corrupted as to be meaningless anyway. They will simply tag virtually every show as "sold out" regardless of whether or not it all the tickets were actually sold (witness Madonna being "sold out" in Cardiff with 30,000 fewer people in than U2 in 2005 and 22,000 fewer than she had in 2006).

Well that makes very little sense business wise unless it's the day of the show and you just want to make up appearances...

I think what surprises me about this tour is how MANY 250 dollar tickets there are. I've wanted to get mid-range tickets ($100) but whenever I have looked for interests sake in Europe and even in the NA ones so far, I am getting near-nosebleeds. Some of the 250 tickets I am pulling up have not been good value.

People live out of their means all the time, that's not U2's fault. Talk about a stretch... I mean seriously, you are really stretching...

Oh, how big of you. The "allegedly" speaks volumes of your bias and where you are coming from...

And now we are back to the original point, and that is you have no f**king clue as to how greedy the band is being. You could only know that if you knew how much it was costing them, which is the very subject you have been talking around since we've started this debate.

What other comprable act could you see for 30 or 55? I doubt there are many, Springsteen didn't give you that option...

Your real argument is why such a big production during a reccesion? They could have played stripped down shows in smaller venues, oh but wait then you would have had a harder time getting a ticket...:hmm: Yeah, it doesn't really look like your argument holds any water any way you look at it...

You're right, I have no idea how much profit they are making or how much it costs to put on the show. But then neither do you.

My problem with this show is it is just not good value, they have got the pricing wrong on the seats for a start... you only have to look around this forum to see people moaning about prices..

I am not worried about tickets either way, the last 3 stadium gigs I have been to I picked up GA tickets for less than face value on the week of the show, so I have no doubt I could do that this time if it came down to it.

Considering that they are now sponsored on this thour I am fairly confident they are making big bucks - its you who is naive to assume they are not making hue profits. My issue is with the level of profits they are taking their fans for.

I am not biased against U2 at all, WRT to the Red Zone, they could easily clarify before the auction how much is going to charity - but they don't - a lot of people are suspicious.

But then neither do you.
And as I pointed out earlier that's why I'm not making accusations either way...
My problem with this show is it is just not good value, they have got the pricing wrong on the seats for a start... you only have to look around this forum to see people moaning about prices..
The value is subjective, and I'm sorry if you think 30 or 55 is too much...

But don't ever use this site as an indicator, people moan about everything on here. This thread is a perfect example. People will moan that they have obstructed view before they even know for sure, they'll moan about the setlist, Bono's hair, the crowd will be either too subdue or too obnoxious... they'll just moan.

I am not worried about tickets either way, the last 3 stadium gigs I have been to I picked up GA tickets for less than face value on the week of the show, so I have no doubt I could do that this time if it came down to it.
So you're just moaning for the sake of moaning? See, you just proved my point.
Considering that they are now sponsored on this thour I am fairly confident they are making big bucks - its you who is naive to assume they are not making hue profits. My issue is with the level of profits they are taking their fans for.
Sponsorship mean insurance, it doesn't always insure big profits... but go ahead and call me the naive one.
I am not biased against U2 at all, WRT to the Red Zone, they could easily clarify before the auction how much is going to charity - but they don't - a lot of people are suspicious.
:lol:

No I am not moaning for moanings sake, I am making a point for the people who are paying obscene amounts for poor seats.

WRT to The Red Zone I suppose you know how much is going to the Red charity thing then?

OR will you, like most others on here just eat the crap fed to you by the band and defend them to the hilt.. this palce is full of people liek that as well.

WRT to The Red Zone I suppose you know how much is going to the Red charity thing then?
I'm assuming it's probably structred similar to other (RED) products. LOTS and LOTS of charities do not release exactly how much goes to the cause for legal reasons, but I'm guessing you knew that...

OR will you, like most others on here just eat the crap fed to you by the band and defend them to the hilt.. this palce is full of people liek that as well.
I haven't defended shit, I just like facts before I start throwing accusations, you are the other way around.

But your stances are always pro U2, you don't even want to entertain the possiblity of them being wrong (according to me)

Anyway you have convinced me, I was wrong all along. I trust U2 to put on a brilliant show and feel blessed they are selling tickets at below their real market vale, a fair price I'd say. I'm sure they are only taking a reasonable profit in these hard times so the rest of us can enjoy their gigs.

As I don't currently have any tickets I am going to buy the really expnesive £150 seats, I am sure it will be a brilliant show with a brilliant view.

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom