Interpol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really liked Interpol's first two albums, so I was excited to see them live. They weren't great by any means...but they weren't horrible, either. A much better studio band, to be sure. I sang along to the songs I knew, and tried to get into it (which was a bit difficult, considering that Paul was peering towards the far end of the stadium 99% of the time). Some more crowd interaction wouldn't hurt.

Also, something to keep in mind as far as Interpol is concerned... Carlos D (the original bass player) left the band around this time last year, and I don't think they've been the same ever since.

As someone who came into the show HATING the BEPs. While I am in no way, shape or form a fan, I enjoyed them at the shows I saw (likely because they didn't play the world's worst song, My Humps). They were pretty darn entertaining at the Rose Bowl, although bringing out Slash might have helped. But I will say the entire stadium was singing and cheering for them. Personally, of the openers U2 has had for this entire tour, I'd have wanted Arcade Fire :drool:, Muse, Florence, or Jay-Z. Oh and Lenny wasn't bad either and he was easy on the eyes.

How are they ? Are they worth going early to see or better off tailgateing a little longer? If they are good what are some songs I might want to listen to before the show?...Thanks

Sorry, let me actually answer your question. If you're going to watch them, I could of course just point you in the direction of their setlists, or if you want to give albums a chance, definitely listen to Antics as they're playing most from that. Turn on the Bright Lights is their first album, and is probably their best (and I believe most critically acclaimed) and singles from the new album "Lights" and "Barricade" are also must-hears.

Does anyone know if they're playing Obstacle 1 when they open these shows?

They aren't opening with it, and while they played it in Chicago, they did not play it at the next gig. Far as I can tell, you're either going to get "Obstacle 1" or "Narc", so if you're really hoping for "Obstacle 1", cross your fingers.

I don't doubt that. I'm saying that for whatever reason, their crew hasn't figured out the mixing for the size of the venue. All the other times I've seen them, they've sounded crisp and you could make out all the different instruments. They are too loud all around for some reason here. I'm just annoyed and a little disappointed that people are blowing them off, is all. Especially when they are (or at least were. I'll give you guys the fact that the newer albums arent as good as the older ones) one of the most talented bands opening.

Hey, if Crazy Heart is to be believed, it's U2's people mixing them poorly on purpose :wink:

Outside of B&C, this forum has the shittiest goddamn taste in music. Who were the other openers on this tour? Black Eyed Peas? Snow Patrol? And you're bitching about Interpol? Seriously, they're probably the best opener other than Arcade Fire.

EDIT: THE FUCKING FRAY? Come on, people. Interpol is one of the best openers on this leg of this tour.

Heres the thing: Know when you meet people who say things like "U2 are shit. They've been shit since after Joshua Tree". And you dont really care, but you're annoyed because you know the only exposure they've gotten to U2 since then has been like, Get On Your Boots and Elevation? That's what I'm feeling right now

That's about the size of it for me. I get tired of people rolling their eyes when I say I like U2, because I know in all likelihood they've never heard an album. With this, it's very similar.

Outside of B&C, this forum has the shittiest goddamn taste in music. Who were the other openers on this tour? Black Eyed Peas? Snow Patrol? And you're bitching about Interpol? Seriously, they're probably the best opener other than Arcade Fire.

I'm not going to give BEP any shit because from what I hear, as openers, they did a damn fine job, good on them. And if you don't like Interpol, I'm not going to give your taste any shit either, like I said, I just want the band to be given a real shot, rather than treated as a distraction.

I will give BEP shit, as most of the compliments probably came from people who like that kind of music.

U2 has an incredibly sheltered fanbase when it comes to newer music. The paranoia whenever Radiohead is brought up makes that clear.

EDIT: THE FUCKING FRAY? Come on, people. Interpol is one of the best openers on this leg of this tour.

On paper they could have been Pfan. But so far in real life they've failed the task.

U2 has an incredibly sheltered fanbase when it comes to newer music. The paranoia whenever Radiohead is brought up makes that clear.

That seems unreasonably dismissive of people's opinions. I love all kinds of music. Interpol's just wasn't great in the time they had to open for U2.

They are supposed to be warming the crowd up. They don't.

I just don't get the "they didn't get a fair shot" thing. They got as good of a shot as any other opener. It's up to them to run with that chance.

Muse were a pretty badass opener and I thoroughly enjoyed them. Interpol should be interesting and I am looking forward to seeing them. I'd definitely want Obstacle 1 but if they don't play it then I'll just have to learn to enjoy the show anyway. I think Interpol is awesome. :p

That's a cop out. I love all kinds of music. Interpol's just wasn't great in the time they had to open for U2.

Well, that's you. Not everyone loves all kinds of music because many people here don't give a lot of music a chance.

And warming the crowd up? I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean. I didn't think the opening act was supposed to put on a pep rally, I thought they were supposed to play some music.

That seems unreasonably dismissive of people's opinions. I love all kinds of music. Interpol's just wasn't great in the time they had to open for U2.

I just don't get the "they didn't get a fair shot" thing. They got as good of a shot as any other opener. It's up to them to run with that chance.

I don't know where this idea that an opener is not allowed to be themselves, but is supposed to be, as Peef said, a pep squad for the main act. That's not the point, they're being given an opportunity to showcase their own sound, their own act because the band that is the main act thinks they're worthy of the opportunity.

And I mean, by "fair shot" paying attention, rather than playing on the phone.

Uh, you're a musician. Surely you've heard the terms "the warmup act" "opening up in the warmup slot" etc etc...it clearly is supposed to be a start to the evening.

Except they're referred to as "Special Guests" not "Our bitch."

I don't know where this idea that an opener is not allowed to be themselves, but is supposed to be, as Peef said, a pep squad for the main act. That's not the point, they're being given an opportunity to showcase their own sound, their own act because the band that is the main act thinks they're worthy of the opportunity.

And I mean, by "fair shot" paying attention, rather than playing on the phone.

Point 1 - exactly my point - U2 gave them a chance to showcase their own sound, their own act - just like every other band that's opened for them. And they didn't do a good job, period.

Point 2 - again - they get the "fair shot" by being granted the slot. It's up to them to convince the audience, no matter how skeptical. People around me started their set standing and watching them, and by 3 songs in were sitting back down to read, leaving, texting, you name it. That's not U2's, the stage's, the venue's, the U2 fan's, the sun's...anyone's fault but Interpol's..:shrug:

Uh, you're a musician. Surely you've heard the terms "the warmup act" "opening up in the warmup slot" etc etc...it clearly is supposed to be a start to the evening.
So bands are supposed to do what differently than they normally would?

It's up to them to convince the audience, no matter how skeptical.
It's the fact that they are skeptical in the first place that bugs me. Maybe Interpol is shitting the bed, but the attitude of a lot of U2 fans can't be helping the situation.

So bands are supposed to do what differently than they normally would?

Clearly not, and my response to bono_212 ties into that: they get a chance to get up there and do their thing. People didn't like their thing. They failed to convince the majority of the audience that they were putting on a great show. It's up to them to do this, not up to us to feel somehow obligated to be convinced. :shrug:

The bottom line is this: you think U2's fans are open minded when they first get on stage, I don't. You also seem to think that if what I was saying was true (that they're not open minded), it's not a problem.

We're not going to convince each other one way or the other.

It's the fact that they are skeptical in the first place that bugs me. Maybe Interpol is shitting the bed, but the attitude of a lot of U2 fans can't be helping the situation.

And we probably both know what that feels like, to have some jerk in front of you with a scowl on his face and his arms crossed. But that's the nature of the beast of being a performer. It's your job to win the audience. It's a duel, a boxing match as Bono has put it

Of course, if being unswervingly true to your art is your utmost goal, you do what you want and accept how few people - or many, as the case may be - end up liking you. Nothing wrong with that per se.

Well that's out of far left field, U2 treats their opening acts poorly or disrespectfully? :huh:

Your suggestion was that they're to be a pep squad for the band. That wouldn't be respectful to the band in my book, were it of course, the case.

To be fair, I did listen to them before the show, way back eons ago when they were announced as openers. I agree with Gabe, there is a bland saminess to their music that is highly unappealing to me. And I did listen for a bit last night, but after a few songs, I was "meh..." and went back to my phone. Audience engagement might have helped. I'm not a Snow Patrol fan by any means, but I enjoyed them, their singer tried.

I LOVE live music, have for decades, and I go to a show wanting to like the performers, I don't go all judgey and cynical, prepared to hate right off the bat. But if a band doesn't capture my attention and they seem bland...well, they're obviously not my thing. :shrug:

Also like Gabe, I listen to a wide variety of music in a wide variety of genres, so it's not that. In fact, Interpol are probably part of the genre I listen to most these days.

And we probably both know what that feels like, to have some jerk in front of you with a scowl on his face and his arms crossed. But that's the nature of the beast of being a performer. It's your job to win the audience. It's a duel, a boxing match as Bono has put it

Of course, if being unswervingly true to your art is your utmost goal, you do what you want and accept how few people - or many, as the case may be - end up liking you. Nothing wrong with that per se.
Sure. I agree with that.

I just have found myself consistently disappointed in a good portion of the fanbase. U2 are not as old as their fanbase would make you think they are.

The bottom line is this: you think U2's fans are open minded when they first get on stage, I don't. You also seem to think that if what I was saying was true (that they're not open minded), it's not a problem.

We're not going to convince each other one way or the other.

I really don't care, but I've seen more opening audiences at U2 shows, that's just a fact. So I think I can safely say that I've got a reasonable handle on what I've noticed in terms of skepticism in U2 audiences over the past 10 years of tours.

Damian Marley? People were skeptical as hell. This very board had him roasted before he even got up. In reality at the two shows I saw him open at though, he did pretty well with the audience and people around me were generally satisfied as far as openers go.

Kanye West, another example. People went BALLISTIC when U2 announced that. How could they, wtf hip hop, he's an asshole, etc etc on and on. And then he fucking kicked everyone's asses.

Even recently...people said Lenny was going to suck. Reports so far have been that Lenny rocked the house and put on a great show.

I think U2 fans are VERY skeptical, and the strong survive.

I personally just don't get it. I went into the show not being a HUGE fan of the band by any stretch of the imagination. I am familiar with all but one of their albums, and like them, but I didn't think they'd be any good live. I got out there, and they were rocking from the beginning. In the midst of an anxiety attack because I was being pressed on far too much by other people, and getting pushed back into the outer railing, they brought me right out of it and I rocked out/enjoyed their entire set. This is why I find the idea that they were no good or boring mind-boggling. I thought their music opened up live and rocked so much harder than it does on record.

No, the lead singer wasn't engaging, but that's the kind of band they are, they don't talk much to the audience, and for the most part, I bitch about a lead singer like that almost all of the time, but at least in Chicago, I could tell he was trying, he just couldn't think of anything to say, :shrug:, I didn't let it ruin an otherwise fantastic performance for me.

Your suggestion was that they're to be a pep squad for the band.

No, that was Pfan's interpretation, I didn't mean it that way. I used a fairly widely accepted terminology in the live music biz - warmup act. That's one of the functions the opening band serves - warms up the room and the crowd for the headliners. There's nothing disrespectful about that.

But when U2 welcomes them as a guest, it gives me the impression that they're free to do the show they want to do :shrug:. They're not a warm-up, they're there as U2's guests and should be treated as such.

Back
Top Bottom