How will 360 be topped?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What if they do a ZOOTV type of stage setup, make it bigger, and add in a circular pit? ZOOTV was known for its 36 video screens, but when I watch the concert DVD, it seems like only 5 or 6 of those screens were significant in size, I don't even notice any other ones. I never went to ZOOTV, so can someone who went kindly clarify? Were all those tiny screens that were on random parts of the stage counted towards the 36?

I was thinking thinking they do something with many different large screens, making for a huge backdrop that would be perhaps larger than the Popmart backdrop. An Elevation/Vertigo/360 type circular stage can be added making the setup a combination of ZOOTV, Popmart and the later era circular stage & pit. Of course, the 360 concept would be killed with this.

Or, maybe they can hang the screens from the 360 claws, which seems silly, but the stage was built to hold twice the mass of the circular screen that is currently being used. Although, I doubt they will ever use the claw again since it would seem lame.

This came to mind last night when I was falling asleep. What do you all think? :)

They're not using the Claws again, they're being sold after Moncton as permanent concert stages.

I know they won't, but it would be cool to see them use the Claws again because stripped-down and then tarted-up with new stuff, you wouldn't even recognize the Claws.

But whatever, I just need to save some money before 2013--if rumors are true.

What if they do a ZOOTV type of stage setup, make it bigger, and add in a circular pit? ZOOTV was known for its 36 video screens, but when I watch the concert DVD, it seems like only 5 or 6 of those screens were significant in size, I don't even notice any other ones. I never went to ZOOTV, so can someone who went kindly clarify? Were all those tiny screens that were on random parts of the stage counted towards the 36?

I was thinking thinking they do something with many different large screens, making for a huge backdrop that would be perhaps larger than the Popmart backdrop. An Elevation/Vertigo/360 type circular stage can be added making the setup a combination of ZOOTV, Popmart and the later era circular stage & pit. Of course, the 360 concept would be killed with this.

Or, maybe they can hang the screens from the 360 claws, which seems silly, but the stage was built to hold twice the mass of the circular screen that is currently being used. Although, I doubt they will ever use the claw again since it would seem lame.

This came to mind last night when I was falling asleep. What do you all think? :)

I think they will scale back actually. Especially if the 2013 rumors are correct. They will most likely try to use some new type of technology as the centerpiece for whatever stage set up they have. The rumor for the last couple of tours has been the 3D hologram thing. Willie has talked about it several times. The other "rumor" I have heard that arenas may be a center of the arena set up, actually in the round, which is something U2 really has not done before. 360 obviously was not "in the round". Not sure how I would feel about U2 doing it, would definately be different for them.

To me the 360 has already been topped 18 years ago by something called Zoo TV.
So, to me this is a "stupid" (sorry) question. I know you meant in terms of stage, but this is for me not at all the most important thing to a U2 concert, thus I don't care if they play under a tent with 2'000 people next time, I would actually prefer it over 360.

Galeongirl said:
They haven't actually. They only catalogued them for now, that was.. two weeks ago? They will be put on sale the moment Moncton ends according to the orginal statement.

Oops sorry your right :up:

To me the 360 has already been topped 18 years ago by something called Zoo TV.
So, to me this is a "stupid" (sorry) question. I know you meant in terms of stage, but this is for me not at all the most important thing to a U2 concert, thus I don't care if they play under a tent with 2'000 people next time, I would actually prefer it over 360.

Stupid question? The question was meant to spur discussion about what could be next in terms of stage/screen design. You feel Zoo TV was better, others may disagree, but there's no need to get offensive. :)

I think all of us can agree that the stage is not the most important thing to a U2 concert, of course it's mainly about the music. But the purpose of this thread is to discuss possible stage designs for the next tour (or lack thereof).

What do you mean?

There's no "next show" for the Claw used in Minneapolis to be sent to.

One claw is in Pittsburgh, one in Moncton, and that's it. Minneapolis is the third.

A moment of silence.

And really, just in the nick of time - that thing was looking a little raggedy. The fabric was looking dirty, and the orange button thingies had definitely seen better days! :lol:

stupid was between brakets and with a sorry.....meaning that there was no offence towards you.

and yes I think Zoo TV or even POP were bigger and more impressive.

and yes, once again, I hope they stop with those huge stage and come bacck to Red Rocks or ealry stage designs, just to show us what u2 is all about = music and being 1 with the audience.

stupid was between brakets and with a sorry.....meaning that there was no offence towards you.

and yes, once again, I hope they stop with those huge stage and come bacck to Red Rocks or ealry stage designs, just to show us what u2 is all about = music and being 1 with the audience.

:applaud:

Maybe the rain in Minneapolis the morning of the show helped give it a little spit-shine; I noticed it the day before while we were gazing upon its impressive beauty.

I know that's why you said sorry, but still no point in saying stupid.

Zoo TV was definitely smaller, and I'm pretty sure Pop was too.

I hope they do a club tour. Although, then they would have to play like 10,000 shows. :lol:

Blue Room said:
I think they will scale back actually. Especially if the 2013 rumors are correct. They will most likely try to use some new type of technology as the centerpiece for whatever stage set up they have. The rumor for the last couple of tours has been the 3D hologram thing. Willie has talked about it several times. The other "rumor" I have heard that arenas may be a center of the arena set up, actually in the round, which is something U2 really has not done before. 360 obviously was not "in the round". Not sure how I would feel about U2 doing it, would definately be different for them.

Vertigo was in the round for all intents and purposes, the arena show that is.

a fan somewhere posted about having a meet and greet with the edge recently. i laughed when he said they wouldn't pull a 360 tour again because they didn't want to repeat themselves, and then in the same breath entertained doing the elevation tour again.

I'm guessing he meant the shift in scope from 360 to the next tour being akin to PopMart-->Elevation.

Well "technology-wise", there's no question that 360 is better than either ZOO TV or PopMart. Obviously the technology now is going to be much better than back then, so that's a no-brainer.

But in terms of "overall experience" (which I think you seem to be saying), I can see why you might say that ZOO TV was better than the 360 tour, because that *really* was when U2 was at their best (music-wise). Plus Bono as "The Fly / Mr. MacPhisto" back then was pretty bad ass! :wink:

But I definately disagree with you saying that POP Mart was better than the 360 tour. Unfortunately musically, the setlist was marred with some "not-so-great" songs from POP (which brought down the quality of the show). I also found their stage way too "over-the-top/over-ironic" with the huge Lemon on stage, etc (which is what prompted them to scale down in their future tours).

But hey, that's just me...:D

Vertigo was in the round for all intents and purposes, the arena show that is.

Not really, it was 360 (with rear stage seats) like the current tour.

In the round means the drum kit is center stage and the stage is literally in the center of the arena. There is no rear stage. U2 has never done that before. Def Leppard was famous for it in 1988 and I think their 1992 tours. I think Metallica and Prince have done it as well.

All of the "end of touring" speculation is precisely why my three kids, 8, 8 and 6 year old kids joined me and m wife on the floor in Minneapolis -- we are now a 3rd generation U2 concert family. The rain created some tough moments for the kids, but I will never ever forget dancing in the rain with my kids for well over 35 minutes straight. Smiles, laughter, fun, rain ponchos mixed in with a few tears and some fear of lightening -- memorable to say the least.

Maybe the rain in Minneapolis the morning of the show helped give it a little spit-shine; I noticed it the day before while we were gazing upon its impressive beauty.

I remember noting how dirty the Claw was in Montreal before the first show. After the show the great downpour happened, and the next day it was squeaky clean again! :wink:

BWU2Buffs said:
All of the "end of touring" speculation is precisely why my three kids, 8, 8 and 6 year old kids joined me and m wife on the floor in Minneapolis -- we are now a 3rd generation U2 concert family. The rain created some tough moments for the kids, but I will never ever forget dancing in the rain with my kids for well over 35 minutes straight. Smiles, laughter, fun, rain ponchos mixed in with a few tears and some fear of lightening -- memorable to say the least.

Awesome :up:

Blue Room said:
Not really, it was 360 (with rear stage seats) like the current tour.

In the round means the drum kit is center stage and the stage is literally in the center of the arena. There is no rear stage. U2 has never done that before. Def Leppard was famous for it in 1988 and I think their 1992 tours. I think Metallica and Prince have done it as well.

360 isn't really "in the round" either

Back
Top Bottom