Holding a place in the GA line

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hear you on the rail comfort thing. I think being friendly goes along way. I'd have a really hard time turning down a friendly "I'm really tired could I lean on the rail a bit".

I dunno, all bets are off I guess next tour. I better not say much cause maybe I'll be just as grumpy. lol

Anyone in this thread been to the last round of stadium shows? I was theorizing that maybe 1st row wouldn't be the greatest due to the height of the stage and the size of the screens. Seems like a neck strainer. Thoughts?

Yes, I will wait in line for hours just so I can have rail. It's something to lean on. I have been second row and couldn't walk afterwards.

Anyway, I have been front row center for the show at Monterrey (it was sheer luck). It was great to be that close for a stadium show and I had no neck strain. No problem with the height of the stage, although I have been told that it depends on the venue. In Monterrey, I was talking with some other fans and they said one of the shows front row could hardly see anything. The problem was the bright lights being in your eyes and sometimes the graphics weren't as clear. At Honolulu, I was rail on a B-stage and that was a great place to be!

Rain, Snow, Sleet, Blizzard, we will wait. And no, people should not expect to show up after everyone else has waited and join others. We all have lives, we all have gigs we couldn't take off work for, and where did I end up? In a seat, where I should be. For Chicago this September hubby and I whom are both students will be missing a day of class, we will arrange this ahead of time with instructors, work has been informed as well.

My teens have been made aware of how borin the wait will be if they go and that other than using the restroom we are in it for the long haul, they have a choice to attend or not to attend. I hate to sound bitchy, but it brings me to my point.

In Houston oh about a decade ago Hubby and I worked at the same place, we told them when we were hired that we had tickets and that day we would both be gone. Well the time came and they would not let both of us off, I went, I waited and closer to show time hubby showed up, and he went back of line. I was up front and he was in the masses. I did not join him in back nor did he expect me to. And I had a rockin' time!

I don't see what the big problem is.. I am talking about 3hrs of them maybe not being there. I have seen so much worse than this, meaning people actually waltzing in minutes before the show (this is not what I am referring to).. I am sorry too VEEP but if they random scan people, and instead of there being the arena size amount of people approx 2,500 total there is now double that because of the stadium size including outside the circle thing and inner circle. The odds certainly go up for people who want inside or outside rail of the circle. How is 2 more people who are already accounted for due to the GA Line up sheet and have numbers already going to impact the chances of getting inside the circle or not? :shrug:

i seriously give up.. :|

First of all, I wasn't talking about extra people affecting chances of scanning in or not, I realize that doesn't really make much of a difference, I was referring to people lining up early to insure that they get a rail spot in the event that they don't scan in. And it's debatable whether or not there will be more outside rail space available since this is a stadium show, because as I said in the other thread, it appears that 2/3 of the larger outside rail is taken up by the Red Zone.

However, none of that really matters anyway, the bottom line is, that for every person that doesn't put in their time in the line and then shows up later, each person is physically put back one spot, and at some point in the line, this is going to mean that a person who would have gotten on the rail will be the one pushed back one, and they will no longer be the last person on the rail despite putting in the time, they'll then be the first person in the second row.

Like others have pointed out, it is a matter of comfort, and for some, it's very important. I have back problems, and couldn't make it through a show without the rail to lean on. In fact, the day that we didn't line up early, we didn't even bother to line up at all, we just showed up after everyone else and stood at the back. For me, standing with no support for lengthy periods is impossible - so, I positioned myself at the back and off to the side, so I could lean against the barrier between the floor and the seats.

Other than that, I think we'll just have to agree to disagree. I've stated my reasons for feeling the way I do earlier in this thread, but if you'd like clarification beyond that, just let me know. :)

First of all, I wasn't talking about extra people affecting chances of scanning in or not, I realize that doesn't really make much of a difference, I was referring to people lining up early to insure that they get a rail spot in the event that they don't scan in. And it's debatable whether or not there will be more outside rail space available since this is a stadium show, because as I said in the other thread, it appears that 2/3 of the larger outside rail is taken up by the Red Zone.

However, none of that really matters anyway, the bottom line is, that for every person that doesn't put in their time in the line and then shows up later, each person is physically put back one spot, and at some point in the line, this is going to mean that a person who would have gotten on the rail will be the one pushed back one, and they will no longer be the last person on the rail despite putting in the time, they'll then be the first person in the second row.

Like others have pointed out, it is a matter of comfort, and for some, it's very important. I have back problems, and couldn't make it through a show without the rail to lean on. In fact, the day that we didn't line up early, we didn't even bother to line up at all, we just showed up after everyone else and stood at the back. For me, standing with no support for lengthy periods is impossible - so, I positioned myself at the back and off to the side, so I could lean against the barrier between the floor and the seats.

Other than that, I think we'll just have to agree to disagree. I've stated my reasons for feeling the way I do earlier in this thread, but if you'd like clarification beyond that, just let me know. :)

as i said, i just don't see the impact if someone is on the list with a number and is already accounted for. How does this affect someone getting or not getting a rail spot who was there in line 2 or 3 hrs earlier? If a couple of people just came in line without getting a number either by themselves or via a friend who was there initially yes, they would impact the person/s who had been there all day waiting (and i have seen this happen so many times over the years I have lost count it's always going to happen). They could possibly be put back by this thus being impacted. Something like this is uncalled for and I would have a problem with it for sure. But this is not my situation at all. If either the person running the line or even the people around me had a problem with my 12 yr old son joining the line mid-morning then yes i would abide by their wishes and have my husband go to a different spot in the line.

i don't think clarification is going to make any kind of difference for me tho.

agree to disagree is right..:shrug:

Whether or not they have a number doesn't matter, they're not physically there!

And, it actually affects those further back in line more than those at the front, or those directly around you, as I pointed out in a previous post.

Whatever. I'd feel too guilty about the people I"m affecting further back in the line, the ones who were actually there, to do this. If you're fine with it, that's your decision. :shrug:

Rain, Snow, Sleet, Blizzard, we will wait. And no, people should not expect to show up after everyone else has waited and join others. We all have lives, we all have gigs we couldn't take off work for, and where did I end up? In a seat, where I should be.
I'm so with you on this. If you can't or won't line up for whatever reason (and really, don't we all have reasons not to kill a day in line?), don't expect to cut in front of people who have. This is why I'm also against the lottery, but that's a different subject entirely.

I feel like my position on this comes across as kind of bitchy and hard-assed. I'm generally a pleasant person, I swear. :wink:

Other people have mentioned the same thing (your post was just convenient), so anyone who has similar issues should feel free to respond to my question. My question is how do you manage being in line for hours on end if you can't stand without something to lean on for a few hours during a concert? I do know that some people bring tents and chairs and all sorts of stuff, but how are you sure you'll be allowed to have those things? And isn't there usually quite a period of time when even if you do have a chair, etc., that you have to put/throw them away and just have what you can take into the venue? If so, how do you manage that?

I mean I think I'd be exhausted and sore before even getting into the venue.

Other people have mentioned the same thing (your post was just convenient), so anyone who has similar issues should feel free to respond to my question. My question is how do you manage being in line for hours on end if you can't stand without something to lean on for a few hours during a concert? I do know that some people bring tents and chairs and all sorts of stuff, but how are you sure you'll be allowed to have those things? And isn't there usually quite a period of time when even if you do have a chair, etc., that you have to put/throw them away and just have what you can take into the venue? If so, how do you manage that?

If you have chairs or whatever, you stow them in someone's car before you have to go in. Or, you take blankets/a sleeping bag or something similar to sit on the ground - we choose this option, we've never brought chairs. Hell, I've slept on the pavement in line, before. :lol:

I can't speak for anyone else, but my issue is standing for hours with no support. At a U2 show, from the time you're told to line up to ready for entry to the venue until the end of the show, that's around 5 hours, and that's pretty much impossible for me. I do like GA, however. So, I solve it by lining up early enough for a rail spot, which is do-able for me. :)

holding spaces

I'm not sure if this is in the right place. Mods feel free to relocate this thread if necessary.

Is it okay to hold a place for someone in the GA line? For example, if I get in line at 8am and my husband doesn't get off work until 4pm, is it okay for him to join me in the GA line at that point? What is the protocol? Is there a time when it's okay but other times that it's not okay? What do you do if they're handing out tickets or numbers or something?

Also, how do you find out a venue's particular GA protocol? When I was GA in Oakland, I joined Mr.Z at around 4pm in the GA line and nobody had a problem with that. When I was in Salt Lake, I arrived at 10am and found out they'd been handing out numbered tickets since 8am (or maybe 9) and that they didn't allow a line to form until 4pm. I was clueless as to that practice - color me uninformed. How would I have found out about that?

I seem to think that the number on Mr.Z's hand in Oakland was purely fan generated but in SLC it seemed that it was the venue organizing things...
Let me get this straight. No one on this site or any other site is some appointed line holder. Just because they think they might be...they are sadly not. Don't let anyone fool you that they are some self-appointed line leader. However, it is a pretty self policed system. I believe it is totally acceptable to save for 1 friend who cannot get their right away, as long as, it is cool with the people around you. Now, once again...it is up to the people around you...NOT the self deemed line leader. Because, believe me, they will let their friends in as well. Don't take advantage....just know that you only have to check with the people around you. They will give you some rules, numbers, cards etc., but just remember...they are self appointed and if they are a holes about it...than you don't have to listen to them. I am not telling you to cut, but like I said, you can hold 1 spot if everyone is o.k. with it. THere will be 1 or 2 people there that will try to tell you how it all goes down. Don't pay any attention. IF you need to leave and go take a shower..then do it! These people don't have any more control over you than my little finger. Some of them will be cool, others act like they are your police. Believe me.. don't worry about it. Just be cool and respectful, no one on here is your boss or any other site for that matter. They might feel as though they have special preference, but they most certainly do not.
And by the way, stadiums are going to be, like 20 different entrances, so the people who think they are going to get up front.....well, you can outrun them from the entrance you will be coming in.
good luck....don't let anyone ruin it for you!
have fun with all of the cool ones!
october

ha i was just wondering exactly the same thing :D

Let me get this straight. No one on this site or any other site is some appointed line holder. Just because they think they might be...they are sadly not. Don't let anyone fool you that they are some self-appointed line leader. However, it is a pretty self policed system. I believe it is totally acceptable to save for 1 friend who cannot get their right away, as long as, it is cool with the people around you. Now, once again...it is up to the people around you...NOT the self deemed line leader. Because, believe me, they will let their friends in as well. Don't take advantage....just know that you only have to check with the people around you. They will give you some rules, numbers, cards etc., but just remember...they are self appointed and if they are a holes about it...than you don't have to listen to them. I am not telling you to cut, but like I said, you can hold 1 spot if everyone is o.k. with it. THere will be 1 or 2 people there that will try to tell you how it all goes down. Don't pay any attention. IF you need to leave and go take a shower..then do it! These people don't have any more control over you than my little finger. Some of them will be cool, others act like they are your police. Believe me.. don't worry about it. Just be cool and respectful, no one on here is your boss or any other site for that matter. They might feel as though they have special preference, but they most certainly do not.
And by the way, stadiums are going to be, like 20 different entrances, so the people who think they are going to get up front.....well, you can outrun them from the entrance you will be coming in.
good luck....don't let anyone ruin it for you!
have fun with all of the cool ones!
october

:up:

:applaud::applaud: Well said, octoberfan.

The reality is you could argue all day about the morality of saving a spot for someone (one could say you "earn" a spot on the rail by getting there early and waiting patiently all day, another could say you "earn" it by being smart enough to get someone else to do it for you and joining them at the last minute).
From a practical stand point, what matters is if you can get away with it or not. That boils down to factors like the demeanor of the people around you, how much their opinion matters to you, your interpersonal and persuasive skills, what time your friend shows up, how much you mind people telling you off, etc, etc.

Let me get this straight. No one on this site or any other site is some appointed line holder. Just because they think they might be...they are sadly not.

Not true in all cases. At some venues, security approves of the lining up and numbering system, and will support those who are running it. That said, other venues clearly don't give a rat's ass.

:applaud::applaud: Well said, octoberfan.

The reality is you could argue all day about the morality of saving a spot for someone (one could say you "earn" a spot on the rail by getting there early and waiting patiently all day, another could say you "earn" it by being smart enough to get someone else to do it for you and joining them at the last minute).
From a practical stand point, what matters is if you can get away with it or not. That boils down to factors like the demeanor of the people around you, how much their opinion matters to you, your interpersonal and persuasive skills, what time your friend shows up, how much you mind people telling you off, etc, etc.

All of this is absolutely true, on a practical level. However, just because you can doesn't necessarily make it right.

I suppose I just don't get the sense of entitlement that some people have for something they haven't earned in a way that, in my opinion, is the right way, and I never will.

If you're running late for an appointment and you need to stop at the bank or at a store and you're faced with a line up, do you think that your circumstances take priority over everyone else's, and take a place at the front of the line? Similarly, if you're shopping with a friend and you finish a little before they do and go to the check out, when they're done, does that entitle them to skip ahead in line to stand with you? Of course not, they go to the back of the line.

There just seems to be a sense of entitlement from many people these days. I think it's safe to say that for every person who thinks their circumstances are so unique that they deserve special treatment over those who have actually rearranged their lives to stand in line, there are many, many more who also have circumstances that are just as special, just as unfortunate, just as unavoidable, but who operate under a general politeness and fairness rule, and either suck it up and go to the back of the line when they arrive, or realize that GA isn't the best option for them, and get a seat so that they don't have to bother.

Like I said, I don't get it, I never will, and I would never feel right doing it. And with that, I'm bowing out of this thread. :wave:

I agree with VP, for some of the reasons she stated above.

Who's to say that everyone around you in line is going to feel comfortable saying "no, I'm not okay with you holding a place for your friend coming in two hours"?

And what if someone did say "no"? Would you go ahead and do it anyway?

Plus, what if twenty people in line ahead of you did the same thing? It's one thing if one person comes in later and scoots ahead of you. It's another thing if there are many fans holding a place as well.

All that being said, if someone asked me if I was okay with it in line, I'd probably say yes because I don't want to make a big thing of it. I wouldn't want to be that one person saying "no."

I think it's just not the right thing to do, but nor am I going to add to ZOMG GA LINE DRAMA by making a stink about it. ... maybe. Maybe I'll be feeling feisty that day.

;)

my kids were 9 and 11 and waited all day (from 7am) in Hawaii just like everyone else. other shows we had seats, other still we joined the GA line whenver we got there as a group. I never got the "signing in my friend/husband/kid/dentist/neighbor" thing. to me, thats cheating, unless you can show some (really) extraordinary circumstance. if its mere convenience, thats BS.

Personally I think that saving spots in line is obnoxious and smacks of some kind of entitlement.

I cannot stand in line this time. I probably can't make it to the stadium until 6 pm, maybe even later. Dem's the breaks. I'm certainly not going to have somebody hold up a spot for me; I'll hope the lottery is in place and if not, well then I guess I'll hang back by the soundboard and have a good time.

I don't understand the justification that since x people are accounted for in the notebook that this somehow makes it okay for them to show up hours later. Yeah, sure maybe it doesn't change the fact that I'm #30 and have always been #30, but if I only see 17 people in front of me, you damn well better realize I'm not going to be amused when the others stroll in later on.

To be honest, it wouldn't even occur to me to have people hold a spot for me like this, because it's just so patently unfair. And I have a job where I really can't take the days off in September and that's that. It's a legitimate reason, but I don't think it somehow grants me the right to waltz in late.

Personally I think that saving spots in line is obnoxious and smacks of some kind of entitlement.

I cannot stand in line this time. I probably can't make it to the stadium until 6 pm, maybe even later. Dem's the breaks. I'm certainly not going to have somebody hold up a spot for me; I'll hope the lottery is in place and if not, well then I guess I'll hang back by the soundboard and have a good time.

I don't understand the justification that since x people are accounted for in the notebook that this somehow makes it okay for them to show up hours later. Yeah, sure maybe it doesn't change the fact that I'm #30 and have always been #30, but if I only see 17 people in front of me, you damn well better realize I'm not going to be amused when the others stroll in later on.

To be honest, it wouldn't even occur to me to have people hold a spot for me like this, because it's just so patently unfair. And I have a job where I really can't take the days off in September and that's that. It's a legitimate reason, but I don't think it somehow grants me the right to waltz in late.
Thank you for this....my thoughts EXACTLY. I'm not so sure why this is so hard for so many to understand.

If you have chairs or whatever, you stow them in someone's car before you have to go in. Or, you take blankets/a sleeping bag or something similar to sit on the ground - we choose this option, we've never brought chairs. Hell, I've slept on the pavement in line, before. :lol:

I can't speak for anyone else, but my issue is standing for hours with no support. At a U2 show, from the time you're told to line up to ready for entry to the venue until the end of the show, that's around 5 hours, and that's pretty much impossible for me. I do like GA, however. So, I solve it by lining up early enough for a rail spot, which is do-able for me. :)

Thanks for your reply. I wondered how people managed that. I'm pretty sure I'm not a GA line kind of girl -- I can handle standing around for an hour or two to hold my spot once the doors open and I can stand throughout a show, but I'd be all worn out and miserable (not to mention cranky as all hell) if I had to wait outside a venue for hours on end. :)

well, apparently I am some kind of a-hole for even considering having my son arrive 2hrs after me.. That's fine.. I will figure it out when it gets closer to the time of the show, maybe I won't do it this way who knows, maybe we all will get there at the same time. But if I were to do it I would certainly be considerate of others and how they felt it wouldn't be a big deal for my son and husband to go a littler further in the line if it comes to that then that's how it will be. So just because I decide not to do it doesn't mean a shitload of others won't be doing this and worse yet at the shows anyways. As I said I don't like when a bunch of people just show up a mere hour or so before a show (all showered up, dressed up etc).. It's wrong and is definitely cheating the system but guess what it happened more times than i could count and from people from this very message board. So, unfortunately we all are going to see this happen again this tour, lottery or not. We don't have to like it and should speak our minds to the people in question if we so choose to maybe it will have an impact I don't know..:shrug:

that's the last I am going to say about this.. I'm out of this thread.

No one's saying it's not going to happen - we KNOW it's going to happen, it's just the way of the GA line. It sucks, and sometimes you have the chance to say something about it, but rarely does it change anything.

However, if someone comes to a site like this and asks if it's a good idea to do x, y, or z, or just mentions that they are going to do it, then you should expect to have some people speak their mind about it, where maybe they wouldn't pipe up and do so in the line itself.

:)

:up:

Who knew this thread would generate so much... discussion. Interesting... good to know most of you feel very strongly against it. And apologies to anyone if I pissed you off in Oakland in November of 2005 by showing up 3 hours later. If it's any consolation, I wasn't on the rail. *ducks*

The only thing to do is get there early and then ask the person running the line. The only cases I've ever heard of where people were allowed to leave for the whole day were in Boston.

Yes, my aunt and uncle did this on Vertigo and it worked out for them very well. They went and had lunch, went home, took a nap, watched the Red Sox, then walked over and right up to the rail of the ellipse!

don't you get really squished if you're on the rail though?? and have no room to dance??

My fiance "Jesus" Matt was the fan running that line in Vegas on Elevation, with which i have yet to hear a complaint of how it was run. We have bothrun a lot of lines and believe that as long as you are up front and clear to those of us running the line AND the people around you in the line that you will be holding a spot for husband/wife/at work etc....there should be NO problem. It's only when you don't tell the people around you that you have issues. With my lines I ALWAYS tell people to be back and have all their crap (chairs/blankets etc) loaded back in their car no later than 3 hours prior to doors. that way new fans know it's a bad idea to take all your goods back to the car at 530pm when the GA line goes in at 6pm!!

I'm late to this thread, but I just want to thank you guys, because the Vegas Elevation line was a thing of beauty. Seattle Vertigo lines were great too, but Vegas Elevation remains the best in my experience! :up:

Back
Top Bottom