Holding a place in the GA line

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting discussion, lots of valid points and good stories. Here's another question:

How do you know exactly which system is going to be used? In SLC, I had no way to know they were handing out numbers and then you could go back to your cozy hotel until 4pm! How would I have found out, esp. if it's not the venue organizing that?

I'm not trying to be difficult, just informed.

The only thing to do is get there early and then ask the person running the line. The only cases I've ever heard of where people were allowed to leave for the whole day were in Boston.

zuropa, judging from last tour, this place is a good source of information. Check this forum (Tour Dates and Fan Gatherings section), or check with other Interferencers who will be going to the same shows as you. Often, they'll know the venue policy from previous tours, or someone attending the show will call the venue a week or so ahead of time and find out what, if anything, is going on. The majority of venues don't do anything themselves, but they do tend to honour the fan-run lining up and numbering systems.

Lila :kiss:

Vancouver last tour second show, we all arrive at 3 am. First in line! My granduaghter doing the #s on hands thing, all is well until some U2.com members show up and try everything to move our original line , now 100 strong, over to the other side of the walkway claiming they will, must be let in first as "prefered customers. Stories of Bono getting upset that the same people (those who can afford to tour with the band) seem to get in front every show and hometowners miss a chance at the apron of the stage. U2.com'ers finally relegate themselves to stay in the original line (some were at 15 or so, not bad) but then are "letting others in in front of them. Security just laughs. I'm starting to think that harmony should be the ideal as this is not a "Power, Speed, Black ,Death Thrash Metal" show! Along comes 2 hrs before the time to open the doors and security splits us in 2 lines one for numbers the other for...yep U2.com'ers, some of whom have the smarts, ie, no bags , purses to go through at the door. So about 30 of these folks got in ahead of the first 10 in the # line. It for me was a happy ending as I was lucky and got to enter the Elipse and set in front of the stage by The Edge! All those drunks dialing thier friends on the phone to boast to outsiders that they were at a U2 show (which was a staus symbol for them and they cared or knew not about the music) and those with elbows in my ribs finally F.O.A.D. and the night was magic.

All that said I think it comes down to a lot of happenstance trying to be first in and at the front, even at a U2 show. Any one have Ideas, stories, about how to get tickets as easy as possible? Last show I went through a ticket reseller, here again $145.00, a Hundrerd over general admission (which shows U2's dedication to fairness) was a bargin. :sexywink:

They let silly little British people into the country?

Always a treat to come into a thread a while after posting to see a reply from that foolish blockhead yank man.
I'm not little, I'm actually very tall.

:ohmy: No wonder you needed to do that. You braved the Buffalo cold. :yikes::lol:

Boston was cold in December but due to advice from a friend i brought one of the sleeping bags for use in freezing conditions. It worked, warm as toast. :up:

Yeah it was quite extreme :lol: Although, we didn't sleep outside... which I'm guessing was horrific :yikes:

Is it okay to hold a place for someone in the GA line?
No, it is not IMO, to speak so in general terms. Holding a place for someone/more persons in the line does not only affect the people queing directly behind you, but everybody behind you in the line. Everybody 'falls back', which will decide at a certain point/time, whether you make it in the first row or the inner circle.
Holding a place for someone, who's off for, let's say a short period, to buy a drink, some food or search for a toilet, is fine on the other hand. that doesn't mean, he/she appears at 8 am for a minute, only to return at 4 pm after having had a nice day in town or sleeping in hotel. This is cheating the other people in line. By the way, this system shows, that all numbered rollcalls do have this problem and are effortless in a way. Best: Everybody just keep in line ...
If your husband arrives that late, and you know that before, I'd recommend you to buy two nice seats, arrive whenever you want and enjoy the show together.

Yeah it was quite extreme :lol: Although, we didn't sleep outside... which I'm guessing was horrific :yikes:

:lol: For others yes. I fell asleep at about maybe 2am and woke up when they woke people up to sort out wristbands. I think i must have been jet lagged. :lol: Thank god we had other friends in the line for Theresa to talk to, i was out for the count. :wink::lmao:

It was funny waking up in the morning though. Being from Northern England by the coast I'm not used to snow. I was all excited about the snow. :lmao:

:reject:

Zooey, the others who posted above are right, sometimes people find out the GA policy from the venue, other times is guessing from previous shows there. :hug:

Wow you were in Oakland? :hyper: Me too.

I think it just depends on the fans at each venue and how they want to do it. When I saw them in Vegas for Elevation, they were doing the numbers on the hand thing, then you could leave your place in line and even go get lunch or whatever, as long as you were in your right spot when it was time to line up. Then of course last tour it was the wristbands. I think if one person were to join you a few hours later, not many would have a problem with that, unless of course the numbering system was in place. But I have no idea how they're going to be doing it this time around.

My fiance "Jesus" Matt was the fan running that line in Vegas on Elevation, with which i have yet to hear a complaint of how it was run. We have bothrun a lot of lines and believe that as long as you are up front and clear to those of us running the line AND the people around you in the line that you will be holding a spot for husband/wife/at work etc....there should be NO problem. It's only when you don't tell the people around you that you have issues. With my lines I ALWAYS tell people to be back and have all their crap (chairs/blankets etc) loaded back in their car no later than 3 hours prior to doors. that way new fans know it's a bad idea to take all your goods back to the car at 530pm when the GA line goes in at 6pm!!

i think if you were in the first 100 people, most would have a problem. if you were not in the first hundred, well, that's all chaos over there anyway and it's hard to control. I've never been to a U2 show the last two tours without numbering in place. People were not allowed to be gone for more than 4 or 5 hours and they had to be there to get their numbers.

Like Sicy said...it all depends on what fan runs the line. It all about the tone you set and how happy you want people to be at the show. :shrug:

In L.A. on the last tour, we got in line at about 7:00am. One of our party of three (from the board here :sexywink:) couldn't get there til 1-1:30pm. The people at the front of the line had a notebook and were taking names and writing numbers on hands. We were able to give the girls our friends name, and when she arrived, they wrote her number on her hand and she joined us in line. And I may have mentioned to those around us that we had one more in our party, just in case. Then we sat and hung out & talked with our line neighbors. I'm sure it depends on the venue & people there... :shrug:

Depending on the date, that was probably Matt and I with the notebook. We ran it like, 2 LA dates. Also, anyone who runs the line should always be cool with people having to get food, and go to hotel and take a shower the day of. This is a concert, and we all want to have a good time. Just because you want a good spot and slept on concrete overnight to get that spot, it shouldn't mean that you have to look like you slept on concrete. My main problem with the Vertigo tour is that besides dealing with the lottery, a lot of people who ran the line didn't want you to leave for more than 30 mins. This is cool in a smaller city, like Portland where everyone had a close hotel. But in LA or DC, where traffic is awful and hotels are spread out you have to account for drive time and shower time. My rule of thumb is to send my fiance to leave and shower at 10 or 11, while I hold our spots. When he comes back I go. I am always back by 2pm...3pm if there was a traffic disaster, and then we put stuff in car and are clean/pretty/fed/ready to rock!!!!:bonodrum::camera::yippie: That's my 2 cents!

The only thing to do is get there early and then ask the person running the line. The only cases I've ever heard of where people were allowed to leave for the whole day were in Boston.

And that was because Boston (and I want to say San Jose) were the only 2 cities where the Venue ran the GA numbered line. They put their security in control and it was AWESOME. They had learned about U2 fans and our lines during Elevation. I wish all venues did this and were as awesome about it as Boston! It's nice to be able to enjoy the city for the day rather than the concrete, and still get up front cuz you got there at 6am or the night before!!

When I saw them in Boston I went to the hotel and slept all day, took a shower and the went to the venue. Even met Edge before the show.

And that was because Boston (and I want to say San Jose) were the only 2 cities where the Venue ran the GA numbered line.

Yes, San Jose Arena security ran the line there in 2005, it was great.

We showed up at around 12pm, received numbered wristbands from the security staff, and were told to come back and line up one hour before the doors opened. It was flawless, and nobody complained.

Not having to sit in line all day gave us the chance to hang out at the stage doors for three hours instead, where we met Bono signing autographs for 20 minutes.

If only every venue was like that.

Tokyo was even more organized than San Jose, but security there failed in it's ultimate execution (to our advantage).

Each Tokyo GA ticket was numbered with your place in line already.

Here are tickets 5-8:

http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/2395366630054037085wiFDQp

When you got to the arena, there were signposts indicating where you had to line up based on your ticket number:

http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/2421078460054037085nBsvjL

I hooked up with the U2-connected fans who had ticket #s 1-10, so I just walked in with them, even though my ticket was somewhere in the 1500s. We bullshitted the security guards, who didn't want to argue with a bunch of aggressive Yanks, Micks and Limeys and ended up on the front rail in front of Adam and Bono all three nights.

This worked for the first two Tokyo shows, but by the third show, word had gotten out that the security staff wasn't enforcing the ticket number system, so everyone (including the Japanese fans) started jumping the line and rushing forward when they opened the doors, it was madness. Same thing happened in Monterrey, Mexico, everyone had a wristband, but then just stampeded the doors in the end, fucking dangerous and stupid.

Thanks for all the input guys, and I guess I should say thanks to the fans in Oakland for not putting up a stink.

I also just felt like an idiot when I realized in SLC that I could've gotten a number so early. It was snowing that day and there was no way I was going to wait in the snow all day. I thought "I'll go at noon and get a decent place in line." But no, they'd been handing out numbers all morning and I was 400-something as I recall. Still got a pretty good spot though, just outside the ellipse. I just didn't have anywhere to go from noon to 4pm since my hotel was too far from the venue.

note to self: get a hotel as close to the venue as you can afford

We showed up at around 12pm, received numbered wristbands from the security staff, and were told to come back and line up one hour before the doors opened. It was flawless, and nobody complained.

Not having to sit in line all day gave us the chance to hang out at the stage doors for three hours instead, where we met Bono signing autographs for 20 minutes.

Note to self, try to get tix for SJ show!

That was awesome. We got there at like 9 or 10am, got our wristbands, and then walked around and went to lunch and what not. It was totally fine and everyone was ok with it.

I was really upset about this. I have been a fan for 20+ years and have never met the band. We waited for them to come out and sign autographs for like 3 hours. Finally we gave up and ran back to the line because they said they were starting to let people in and that if you werent in your spot you'd be screwed basically. I guess Bono eventually came out. We could have met if I just stayed an extra 15 minutes. :sigh: Oh well. I didnt want to risk my spot in line. I had seen him drive in, I got a couple of pics of that, but that was all I got.

I have been a fan for 20+ years and have never met the band. We waited for them to come out and sign autographs for like 3 hours. Finally we gave up and ran back to the line because they said they were starting to let people in and that if you werent in your spot you'd be screwed basically. I guess Bono eventually came out. We could have met if I just stayed an extra 15 minutes. :sigh: Oh well. I didnt want to risk my spot in line. I had seen him drive in, I got a couple of pics of that, but that was all I got.

Yeah, that's sucky. I've been in that position myself several times. In Phoenix on the Elevation tour, the bus gates and the GA line were a half-arena away and I must have sprinted back and forth at least 15 times. I was in shape then. :SIGH:

Yeah and then pretty much the same thing happened at Oakland. I waited in the rain for them to drive in and its like they never came. I don't remember exactly what happened, if they just didn't come out or what but it was 0 for 2 for me at that point and pretty disheartening.

Yeah and then pretty much the same thing happened at Oakland. I waited in the rain for them to drive in and its like they never came. I don't remember exactly what happened, if they just didn't come out or what but it was 0 for 2 for me at that point and pretty disheartening.

You'll make it next time – don't worry ...

Well I am not one of those fans that follows the band everywhere, to their hotels and what not so it will just be a coincidence if I do happen to see them at the venue. It was just unfortunate that the two opportunities I had didnt pan through.

Well I am not one of those fans that follows the band everywhere, to their hotels and what not so it will just be a coincidence if I do happen to see them at the venue. It was just unfortunate that the two opportunities I had didnt pan through.

No, I didn't think you were that way, just wanted to encourage you – when it happens, it will happen ...:up:

Do you guys think theres a chance of a golden circle system this tour i.e paying more gets you closer to the stage etc. I dont mind queing but I have to admit the Bon jovi tour last year was very refreshing, to walk in to the stadium 10 mins before the start and be in front if the stage etc was great. Also this option would make U2 more money.......

The only person I met before a show was Edge in Boston on 12/5/05 in like 20 degree weather. I have never met Bono before a show only because I see them in Philly and they don't do meet and greets here and they fly in from NYC. The secruity say its because the street is too close, which there is next to no traffic, but its like that in a lot of other places. I still try everytime.

Do you guys think theres a chance of a golden circle system this tour i.e paying more gets you closer to the stage etc. I dont mind queing but I have to admit the Bon jovi tour last year was very refreshing, to walk in to the stadium 10 mins before the start and be in front if the stage etc was great. Also this option would make U2 more money.......

If the tour is in Stadiums it will be first come first serve. Why because it would take too long and would be impossible to do and fill in the front pitch/gold circle. If there are any arena shows there will be a lottery system like the 2005 tour.

If the tour is in Stadiums it will be first come first serve. Why because it would take too long and would be impossible to do and fill in the front pitch/gold circle. If there are any arena shows there will be a lottery system like the 2005 tour.

For alot of Euro stadium shows these days they sell the Gold Circle at the front at a slightly higher price. I like the convenience but it seems to damage the atmosphere - without exception all the gold circles I've had to queue for have been more fun than any I've bought a ticket for.

What's golden circle?

I am not a fan of holding a place in line for someone who doesn't appear until a few hours before the show. Honestly, I don't care what the reason is that you couldn't be there. We all have reasons why we shouldn't camp out but do it anyway. :shrug:

Some shady ass person in Chicago (9/21/05) stole my purple sharpie and was rewriting numbers on hands. :angry: Good thing we had the list and more sharpies.

In St. Louis I made friends with the venue security and got rid of line jumpers for us. :)

In St. Louis we got the last two places at the very end of the rail after lining up at 5:00am. Had someone line jumped, we would have been stuck in the second row. One or two cutters can make a big difference if you're at a critical point in the line.

I don't think it's okay to hold places in line under any circumstances. If you can't line up, get a seat. The time commitment is just part of doing GA. I also don't think it's okay to line up and then disappear for 4-5 hours at a time. An hour or two is perfectly acceptable, and nearly everyone does that to grab lunch and clean up, but four hours? Really?

U2 fans queue in mysterious ways - Times Online

Funny article :lol: Too bad the term 'line Nazi' has made its way to mainstream press though :doh: I always appreciate that people try to get things organised in GA lines, if we didn't have that system things could get out of hand and tons of people would abuse, keep spots for the friends, etc.

As others have said, as long as you are actually in line for most of the day, everything is fine. It's nice to be able to leave and come back, take a shower etc. But not being there all day and showing up at 5pm? I personally don't agree with that.

In St. Louis we got the last two places at the very end of the rail after lining up at 5:00am. Had someone line jumped, we would have been stuck in the second row. One or two cutters can make a big difference if you're at a critical point in the line.

I don't think it's okay to hold places in line under any circumstances. If you can't line up, get a seat. The time commitment is just part of doing GA. I also don't think it's okay to line up and then disappear for 4-5 hours at a time. An hour or two is perfectly acceptable, and nearly everyone does that to grab lunch and clean up, but four hours? Really?

I agree with all of that, and that's exactly the kind of scenario I was referring to on the first page of this thread. It doesn't just affect the people directly behind you in line, it affects those much farther back more. So, unless you're going to go back several hundred people and ask their permission, just don't do it. :up:

As far as leaving the line, I think anything more than two hours is pushing it. That's generally adequate time to go back to the hotel and grab a quick shower and some food, or whatever.

U2 fans queue in mysterious ways - Times Online

Funny article :lol: Too bad the term 'line Nazi' has made its way to mainstream press though :doh: I always appreciate that people try to get things organised in GA lines, if we didn't have that system things could get out of hand and tons of people would abuse, keep spots for the friends, etc.

That study was done by an Interferencer and her colleague, which is why they used the term line Nazi. :)

:up: My thoughts exactly.

Back
Top Bottom