hint at the next tour ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
A few fans met Bono yesterday, as he was signing autographs.

I can't recall my whole conversation with Bono, but here's the best of my recollection: He said the next tour will be smaller, indoor arenas. Private shows. They will play the obscure songs that they either never played live or haven't played live in awhile (something like that), especially songs off Pop. Like Gone, Please, Staring at the Sun. Then I told him I wanted to hear Acrobat live and he smiled and his eyes lit up and he said "That's a great song, but it's hard to play live."

Story mentioned by both U2start.com and u2place.com, and was posted on u2mp3s.com first.

Would be great if true!!
And doesn't seem onlogic. The question is, when? It may take 3 years before they start touring again. In 3 years from now they may have very different opinions on what songs to play live. But it would be so great to hear PLEASE for the first time!!

Would be so great to see them in a smaller arena. Although I doubt that they will play in locations of ~10,000 people...in Netehrlands we will have to see them in gelredome (30,000).

This has got to be the fourth time that Bono has mentioned the next tour being a smaller arena style affair, with b-sides and rarities. Doesn't guarantee it will actually happen, but it certainly shows that, at least for Bono, thats where they're headed at the moment (and personally i think it sounds likely).

I could almost see the holding back on pop songs - and avoiding a heavy focus on changing the setlist or on rarities - as being something they're saving for the next tour, in order to give it something over its predecessor. The 360 tour had a massive stage with greatest hits? Well this tour will be intimate, unpredictable, and feature the rarities you've been dying to hear.

Sounds like a good direction to head in :up:

Well, it's Bono, so I'll believe it when I see it, but thanks to anybody who asked him about Acrobat. :drool:

Anyone who sees him should ask that question.

As incredulous as I am about this, it's hard not to get a little excited. I would KILL to see this band at like Rod Laver or even a big venue playing a whole range of rarities. It's just that so much misinfo over the past few years means you have to take this with a kilo of salt.

As incredulous as I am about this, it's hard not to get a little excited. I would KILL to see this band at like Rod Laver or even a big venue playing a whole range of rarities. It's just that so much misinfo over the past few years means you have to take this with a kilo of salt.

This.

Plus, by the time they get to Australia, as usual all the songs never played live here and all the rare stuff we actually want to hear will be gone from the set, but we'll get our billionth performances of ISHFWILF and WOWY and One to keep Molly Meldrum happy! :happy:

I suppose with Larry's comments from last night's interview with Zane Lowe, now only Edge hasn't specifically said anything about arena tours the next time around.

Bono has repeatedly teased fans about this idea, Adam suggested he prefered arena tours to Rolling Stone and Larry as mentioned above, said they want to return to their roots and play smaller places - just that Glastonbury wasn't suppoosed to be the "first outing".

Edge?

Indeed Larry talked about it too! Now if Adam and Larry are even talking about it!! That means the kilo of salt will be reduced to half a kilo. Many times at the end of a Tour there are already the plans for the next tour. See the development of 360. They started with taht already during Vertigo....
Let's see what happens.

Getting (affordable) tickets is a worry for later :)

Maybe they can combine the 'private shows' with some festival appearances if friday will be a success? Would be so great to see them at Pinkpop 2012!! :)

I would think it's a certainty that the next tour will be arenas. The content of it I would think would be very much next album pending. That will guide the overall feel and theme and 'size' of it. At the very least, it's true arenas would mean more of an ability to play more lesser tracks (or at least more quieter tracks) and to switch it up more, but I wouldn't hold out on any hope for some raritypaloozo.

What would be realistic, nice and achievable regardless of album vibe or success and tour theme or mood would be if they kinda set themselves a goal by listing 20+ songs at the start of the tour that have been played rarely, sparingly, not for ages or not at all, and constantly and consistently working on, adding and rotating those through 2-3 spots on the setlist. Kinda what we've had with things like Zooropa/Scarlet/Your Blue Room/Electrical Storm etc on this tour, but more of them, give it 2-3 dedicated spots as a bit of a thing (like 'the b-stage bit' and 'the acoustic bit', but the known 'rarities bit'), and cycle them, and cycle them fast.

This.

Plus, by the time they get to Australia, as usual all the songs never played live here and all the rare stuff we actually want to hear will be gone from the set, but we'll get our billionth performances of ISHFWILF and WOWY and One to keep Molly Meldrum happy! :happy:

For whatever reason I get the feeling that Meldrum despises U2. :lol: He has a massive hard on over Coldplay, though with that stupid hat of his and everything.

This.

Hey, you may be the only ones to get One Tree Hill or Kite!

Then again, if this news is to be believed, those will be the hits of the set. :wink: For the record, I'm skeptical, but I can't deny that I am, like Cori, already stressing about acquiring these "private" tickets. At least I'll be 21 (hell, maybe 31) by then so I can get into any venue. Assuming I'm cool enough.

Back to basis is defiantly the vibe regarding their next tour.

Although i like the concept, i can't help but feel " Private Shows " seems to low-key for a band as big as U2. It sounds as if they want to go out of the lime-light with this next tour, which i just can't see happening as their always trying to stay current and popular. Arena's is fine, but i can't see " Private Shows " working as a world-wide tour, in my opinion. I hope they strip it down to something similar to Elevation, which was U2 back to basis, but still staying in the lime-light and moving forward.

I just can't see arguably the words biggest band touring with " Private Shows ", their fan-base is to big to do that. Its sound as if this next tour is the final send-off with the way their describing it.

U2 will play a show in the house of every fan willing to pay them $50 next year.

Dude, I'm going to win the lottery and pay them to play at my house that I will buy with my new millions.

I hope they do an arena tour, and I think they will. It would seem like overkill to do another huge tour like 360 right away; it would make more sense to do another back-to-basics tour next. Plus, there's a shiny new arena not far away from me that needs to be used for more than Josh Groban and Taylor Swift. Just sayin.'

Hard to say which I prefer. Arenas usually have better sound, but there's nothing like seeing the band outside with 70,000 other fans. For the hardcore nuts, arenas are clearly preferable since it means they have to play far more shows in major cities and you can see them more.

If they made sure to vary the setlists enough from night-to-night, arenas would be preferable for most uber-fans since they'd get more than one show in their hometown and the shows would at least be different.

On the other hand, it just seems like a waste of the band's time to have to play like five nights at Madison Square Garden in order to reach less people than they could over at the football stadium in Jersey in one night.

I'm for arenas as long as they play Key Arena in Seattle (like they did on Vertigo) and not the freaking Tacoma Dome (like they did on Elevation).

I hate that place.

I'm so happy this concept is still being talked about. :pray: Come on now, this seems like the solution they needed to release Songs of Ascent, put that out and have the hardcore fan tour in 2012. Never gonna happen, but that'd be awesome. :drool:

Add "start tour in Australia/NZ" to that and I fully agree.

Yeah U2, start your tour somewhere that isn't Europe or North America. We treated you so well on UF and Lovetown too.

For whatever reason I get the feeling that Meldrum despises U2. :lol: He has a massive hard on over Coldplay, though with that stupid hat of his and everything.

I thought Molly fapped to JT and AB because they have big hits he can rave about and tell everybody to buy and sell bullshit that they made the Aussie charts because of his advocacy?

Hey, you may be the only ones to get One Tree Hill or Kite!

Then again, if this news is to be believed, those will be the hits of the set. :wink:

One Tree Hill IS the hit of the set in New Zealand. :tongue:

(It spent longer at #1 on the Kiwi charts than any other U2 single. Hell, I think second place only managed half the weeks that OTH did.)

I thought Molly fapped to JT and AB because they have big hits he can rave about and tell everybody to buy and sell bullshit that they made the Aussie charts because of his advocacy?

I think he's just programmed to love everything on the charts.

Well, it's Bono, so I'll believe it when I see it, but thanks to anybody who asked him about Acrobat. :drool:

Anyone who sees him should ask that question.

You're welcome! :wave:

I couldn't resist. As soon as he alluded to more obscure songs, Acrobat was the very first thing that popped into my head. I could die a happy U2 fan if I heard that song live!

Cheers,
Mel/u2mp3s

I think he's just programmed to love everything on the charts.

And think he's personally responsible for its chart placement, even if he only starting raving about it after it began sliding back off the charts.

A few fans met Bono yesterday, as he was signing autographs.

I can't recall my whole conversation with Bono, but here's the best of my recollection: He said the next tour will be smaller, indoor arenas. Private shows. They will play the obscure songs that they either never played live or haven't played live in awhile (something like that), especially songs off Pop. Like Gone, Please, Staring at the Sun. Then I told him I wanted to hear Acrobat live and he smiled and his eyes lit up and he said "That's a great song, but it's hard to play live."

Story mentioned by both U2start.com and u2place.com, and was posted on u2mp3s.com first.

It always seems strange to me to find myself quoted on the boards after I chat with Bono... I'm having flashbacks to this: http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f288/merged-get-better-sian-look-at-u2mp3s-com-114200-2.html :reject: :shifty:

Anyhoo, here's my original post just in case anybody wants to read the whole thing (albeit it's not all pertinent to the new tour): TwitLonger: I can't recall my whole conversation with Bono, but here's the best of my recollection: He said the

Back
Top Bottom