Have U2 lost touch with the younger generation...NO WAY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Really? I get that from Boots but at the same time, I feel like Bono seriously just wanted to sing "Sexy BOOTS!" at the top of his lungs...although everything after "Let me in the sound"...no.

and just use "Winter" or "Every Breaking Wave" or something

Agreed. They could have done better with the singles...

Although what's weird with Get On Your Boots is with different sorts of vocals and constant guitar riff, I might have mistaken it for something from Boy :ohmy: It's sort of a merging of their decades...

although I'll admit it took me long time before I could finally understand the album. I didn't really know what to think of it at first and I never listened to it after the first couple times through. It took me a little over a whole year before I finally came around on that one.

Hahah, me too. It was the first album of theirs I bought and I was just that close to chucking it in the bin until I went through their earliest albums, fell in love with those and decided to give NLOTH a second chance...it took until a week of no good music around me and painting like crazy for me to seriously appreciate it.

You should have seen me with Pop...

I love GOYB live I'll admit. It got a thousand time better on 360! But on NLOTH it's just... :|.

Ah that seems like a good way to get to know a U2 album. I used to like doing artwork and such related stuff but I lost interest. Every U2 album deserves a 2nd chance if at first you don't like it or get it. And I can understand someone having quite a difficult time getting know Pop. I had a tough time adjusting to the music and looking at the band's look of the time I was just all :huh:. It's an interesting album though. I'll not forget the week I got it and just played the heck out of it and fell madly in love with Pop.:love: The case, booklet, and CD have this weird smell that I just love to think of when I listen to anything off Pop (I've been wanting to talk about that smell for a long time :lol:). It goes right along with it though! Well I've moved it up in my rankings since then.

I love GOYB live I'll admit. It got a thousand time better on 360! But on NLOTH it's just... :|.

Ah that seems like a good way to get to know a U2 album. I used to like doing artwork and such related stuff but I lost interest. Every U2 album deserves a 2nd chance if at first you don't like it or get it. And I can understand someone having quite a difficult time getting know Pop. I had a tough time adjusting to the music and looking at the band's look of the time I was just all :huh:. It's an interesting album though. I'll not forget the week I got it and just played the heck out of it and fell madly in love with Pop.:love: The case, booklet, and CD have this weird smell that I just love to think of when I listen to anything off Pop (I've been wanting to talk about that smell for a long time :lol:). It goes right along with it though! Well I've moved it up in my rankings since then.

^ Double post D:

I like the album more than I used to...and I love the song NLOTH so much :heart: as well as Magnificent and Unknown Caller. It's just not one of the ones I'm in love with recently...

It took It Might Get Loud for me to love Get On Your Boots :reject:

and yep! U2 and art go together quite, quite well. If I don't listen to them when I'm doing art, by now, I'm sad...

Ahaha. Well, I took one look at Pop, and then one listen, and unfortunately my eyes zeroed in on "Mofo" and it all went down from there. It took a certain gif of Discothèque to make me actually finally listen to that album :giggle: and then after about a week I loved Pop. Figures that that happened with the one U2 album I said I'd never buy.

The case, booklet, and CD have this weird smell that I just love to think of when I listen to anything off Pop (I've been wanting to talk about that smell for a long time :lol:).

You are so odd :lol:

Haha I know it's crazy.:p I just have a thing for the smell, it was very odd and somewhat unattractive when I first got it. I've since grown to like it. I don't know how to describe it actually.:hmm: Weird I know.:lol:

Discotheque is seriously awesome! I love the video for that. I'll not forget watching that video over and over and over again in my room.:love:

Is this de-railing the thread?:reject:

:shifty:

Sounds like a parallel to the album :hmm:

Well, I just watched...this...
disco-bono-hips-comet.gif
Why must you be a boy? You're immune XD

I'll keep him for myself then XD

Ok, let's let the older/rest of the younger generation speak. *zips lip*

AnCatKatie said:
I'll keep him for myself then XD

Ok, let's let the older/rest of the younger generation speak. *zips lip*

I think your little off-topic conversation was a great representative of the "younger generation" :wink:

GOYB live was great cause of the bridges - my generation (25) seems to think U2 started in 2000 with BD - it's my generation that messed up the music scene

To address the original question...I went the La Plata shows...for each of the second and third shows I had a 12-13 year old boy next to me and they were jumping and fist pumping and over the moon at being there as much as the adults. Both the older and newer songs...so no, I don't think they've lost the touch. ;)

I felt the same way the first time I heard it. It's just blah on the album.

The first time I downloaded the single from iTunes and put it on in the car, I thought I downloaded a bad version. It sounded like a crappy demo version. As I listened several more times I felt it was the worst song U2 had put out in a long time. A shitty retread of Vertigo without the punch.

Live it's great though :up:

disagree- they definitely have. Walk on to any college campus and im sure more people will say they dislike U2 or its not 'their kind of music' than those who admit to liking them. I think its kind of a negative stigma of Bono and his "huge ego" and "south park reference" etc... that leads people to judge u2 without hearing them. shame, really. Obviously not true about everyone in this generation but it seems like a large majority unfortunately.

I'm not sure about the younger generation, because I've lost touch with them myself! However, I hung out with a few friends the other night who are all late 20s/early 30s. WE got to talking about music, and as usual at some point U2 came up. Here were their opinions.

Friend 1- VERY casual fan who owns AB, ATYCLB, and maybe one or 2 of the greatest hits. He hated GOYB when it came out, thus he only listend to NLOTH once 2 years ago, and thought it sucked and never gave it another chance. I think this is very typical opinion of a casual U2 fan.

Friend 2- Fan of everything Boy-Achtung, also ATYCLB, but thought U2 sold out with the IPod commercial, hasn't been interested since. He was very much aware that NLOTH was a commercial failure, and that Bono's investment with Elevation Partners went sour. However, he had no idea that the 360 tour beat both the Stones gross record AND attendance record. He also had no idea that the 360 tour even existed! Pretty common response from a FORMER fan who still loves the old stuff, but thinks U2 have just become a greedy business.

Friend 3- Big U2 fan, but kind of a snob about it. Thinks U2 suck because they'd sooner play "Streets" live in front of 90,000 people instead of "Big girls are best". Says they're too "safe" now. While I agree with that a little bit, I still think "Streets" is a great song, and certainly wasn't groaning when they played it live in Chicago like he was back in 09. He still thinks U2 should be the band they were in 1993. He also thinks that the reason NLOTH sucked was because Eno wasn't involved... I tried telling him, but he argued with me.

Friend 4- Almost as much of a U2 supporter as I am, but sees them as over the hill and out of touch, and prefers younger bands that are still relevant.

Now I wouldn't say U2 are going through a backlash similar to the R&H/Pop backlashes. Clearly, the tour numbers speak for themselves... U2 are huge and will always be. But the fact remains that these are 4 people who aren't as happy with the band as they used to be... and there are many more people like them. I think they might be wise to work on their next album a little more. This album has to win the casual and hardcore fans alike, make them seem relevant, and create the belief that they are still hungry musicians at heart. They need to somehow inspire young new fans, and somehow also inspire the not-so-young fans they've had for decades. I definitely think that working with an entirely new producer is exactly what they need.

This album has to win the casual and hardcore fans alike, make them seem relevant, and create the belief that they are still hungry musicians at heart. They need to somehow inspire young new fans, and somehow also inspire the not-so-young fans they've had for decades.

I think they need to stop thinking about that sort of thing completely. Just make the music they want to make, and if that means 15,000 people rather than 50,000 show up to see them night after night, they should be man enough to deal with it and realise at least most of those people are there to see them because they genuinely love U2's music rather than just to hear the latest radio hit or two and say "I woz thar".

Who cares if they are relevant or in touch. Good music is good music.

I think they need to stop thinking about that sort of thing completely. Just make the music they want to make, and if that means 15,000 people rather than 50,000 show up to see them night after night, they should be man enough to deal with it and realise at least most of those people are there to see them because they genuinely love U2's music rather than just to hear the latest radio hit or two and say "I woz thar".

Who cares if they are relevant or in touch. Good music is good music.

Bingo! and thus lies U2s greatest flaw- the need to feel constantly relevant and liked by everyone. Good music stands on its own, those who feel it and understand it will love U2. They have already proved themselves, now its time for them to make the music THEY want to make without worrying about how it will be received.

I think they're making music they want to make but at the same time they want to remain relevant/appeal to the radio/younger people

Agreed, but most U2 fans on the internet don't seem to think the two desires can coexist.

As for this thread...how many young people/teens would willingly admit to be listening to 50 year olds ?

Agreed, but most U2 fans on the internet don't seem to think the two desires can coexist.

As for this thread...how many young people/teens would willingly admit to be listening to 50 year olds ?

Uhh, probably all of us?

It's the ones who refuse to like U2 because of that reason that wouldn't willingly admit it, because they're ignorant. And they're sheep, so they will only express themselves to a level that others will agree with them/like them.

Uhh, probably all of us?

It's the ones who refuse to like U2 because of that reason that wouldn't willingly admit it, because they're ignorant. And they're sheep, so they will only express themselves to a level that others will agree with them/like them.

Yep.

eh? All teens I know and that includes myself, practically shout it from the rooftops, and bother people to death with U2,
most of my friends don't even mind. They know U2 is a great band,
because they know who they are.

I don't think they would ever have to worry about being forced to only play in front of 15,000. Smart management of both image and demand, and a continuation of offering something new/interesting with the live show, will give them stadiums whenever they want, regardless of how a current album does or who it appeals to or whatever. And 360 pretty much proves that. Their most successful tour ever, and it's off the back of their 'quietest' album ever. That realisation - if they've had it - might be either very dangerous or very liberating for them.

I think most people do think they can coexist, just that U2 aren't that great at doing it, at least not with their current approach. They work too hard, try too hard, possibly worry too much about that mass-appeal side. You only need to look at No Line to see that they can't at the moment make it coexist very well. And as others have said, somehow, they need to lose that over-thinking on the mass-appeal side. It seems even the band can see it and acknowledge it - and hopefully the failure of the No Line singles should be underlining it to them - but I don't know if they would trust their creative instincts if they don't match with what they assume to be the right formula or path?

I think they were pretty good at it throughout their career. Granted some times it works out better than others...

No Line was essentially destroyed for the mass audience (I know, I know...aka THE KIDS) with the bad first single which is what the band admitted to openly since. No clever marketing could make Boots work.

Uhh, probably all of us?

I don't think young people wouldn't willingly admit to not liking (or not caring about) U2.

There are probably more of those around now compared to 2000/2001 popularity of ATYCLB and Elevation or the times of the "Ipod jingle" in 2004. And I can't see U2 bringing in the youth ranks of the audience, post the 5-0 age.

All of your double negatives are confusing me :|

I think domo-kun put it great. For any of us young people who actually DO listen to U2, we are all willing to freely admit it. It's just that not a lot of people do listen to U2 at our age anymore. I don't think anybody cares if they're 50 years old. That's irrelevant, to be honest.

Right... that might be the case (although I'd say it's certainly more to do with pop culture Bono more than anything else).

But your point about people not being willing to admit that they listen to 50 year old musicians... I just don't agree. Nobody actually cares about how old they are. That's not a reason to judge music. It's a reason to not give music a chance, but it's not a reason to judge it. I don't think anybody, no matter how ignorant, would be afraid to admit they like U2 because they're old.

Back
Top Bottom