Have U2 lost touch with the younger generation...NO WAY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
and i'm wondering how he would respond to their earlier more energetic/raw stuff... maybe i'll dig some out and see what he thinks...

This. I was kind of in a similar music mindset as your kid, probably, and definitely fell in love of U2 because of their earlier stuff...

Yes, we probably would.

I doubt it.

So many of those key players back then said that a lot of their sound, their look, and the audience's response was a reaction to the scene of the late 80's. That's how so much music works.

Look back at every major music "movement" and you'll find that it came about due to a reaction of another scene.

Also, heart on your sleeve emotions and spirituality don't have that much appeal to this generation of world-weary (from watching TV, not from living) & jaded teenagers.

powerhour24 said:
Also, heart on your sleeve emotions and spirituality don't have that much appeal to this generation of world-weary (from watching TV, not from living) & jaded teenagers.

This is really depressing, if that's what teenagers are really like. Teenagers are supposed to be the optimists, the idealists...I was that kind of teen. I was so dreamy. And those characteristics are exactly what appealed to me in U2's music.

Sad that people are so negative.

Obviously not everyone is like that, but a lot of the ones we hear a lot from in the media / social media are like that, hence the U2 is too popular to be liked or given a second thought attitude, and Bono's a tool because he's always in the media talking about causes, instead of in the media for doing drugs or going to jail like the celebrities that actually have appeal these days. Like I said, U2 still appeal to all demographics, I saw plenty of teens /20-somethings without their parents at 360, and hell I'm 23 and got into U2 when I was around 13.

powerhour24 said:
Bono's a tool because he's always in the media talking about causes, instead of in the media for doing drugs or going to jail like the celebrities that actually have appeal these days.

This is very true. People really actually feel this way. No one's ever said it to me in these words, but it's obvious that's what's in their heads. Makes them even harder to relate to.

We're in kinda the same category then. I'm 21 and I got into U2 when I was 14. I'd always known who they were but that was when I became a huge fan.

Good to know some like-mired people are out there! And after all, the haterade can't take away what U2 means to me and millions of others, or the impact they've had on rock music & live performances.

Rock doesn't get played on mainstream radio. The sooner U2 stops targeting radio like it's one of Bono's latest causes (we're saving Africa, now let's save rock radio!!!), the faster they can get back to the business of recording interesting music.

powerhour24 said:
Good to know some like-mired people are out there! And after all, the haterade can't take away what U2 means to me and millions of others, or the impact they've had on rock music & live performances.

:up:

I doubt it.

So many of those key players back then said that a lot of their sound, their look, and the audience's response was a reaction to the scene of the late 80's. That's how so much music works.

Look back at every major music "movement" and you'll find that it came about due to a reaction of another scene.

The movement and the image was in part a reaction to the 80s scene, yeah. The sound had nothing to do with that.

The movement and the image was in part a reaction to the 80s scene, yeah. The sound had nothing to do with that.

Sorry but you've gone completely mad.

The sound of punk was a reaction to the overblown 70's.

Just like the sound of "grunge" was a reaction to the late 80's.

Or just like the sound of "industrial" was a reaction to bad snyth pop.

The band members themselves would admit this...

Is this guy ever gonna get banned for insulting and belittling people constantly who do not share his opinion?

Judging by the crowd in the general admission area at my U2 concerts, they definitely lost touch.

And I think the problem for many younger people is not just that U2 are "old", but also that they're a band that's still active and, rather than being respectably dead, is out there being old and embarrassing.

When I talk to 16-21 year olds about U2, the responses I get from the musically aware ones are: "They were really cool up to the late 90's, but from Beautiful Day onwards they've just sucked a big one".
The irony here is that by targeting the young generation with songs like Vertigo, BD, GOYB and Crazy, U2 have actually become desperately unhip in the eyes of the kids. I heard the phrase "dad cock rock" a couple of times.
So yeah, they have totally lost touch with the young generation. Most couldn't care less about them (or don't have a clue who they are other than they're an old rock band from England or somewhere) and the rest think they've become desperately lame. As others have said here, they should just stop worrying about appealing to the kids and make innovative, interesting music.

I don't care if they've "lost touch" with my generation. I'm 18, and I love them - and as long as I'm allowed to do that, I'm happy.

The sound of punk was a reaction to the overblown 70's.

Just like the sound of "grunge" was a reaction to the late 80's.

Or just like the sound of "industrial" was a reaction to bad snyth pop.

The band members themselves would admit this...

This post would've been fine had you omitted the first sentence. Please leave the personal jabs and insults out of your argument.

For me, I don't really care if they lost touch with my generation. I'm a 15 year old, not really anyone in my school likes U2 - with the exception of someone not in my generation, my ex-Algebra teacher who frequently listened to HTDAAB while we would be working. My dad introduced me to the band, that's all that matters.

When I talk to 16-21 year olds about U2, the responses I get from the musically aware ones are: "They were really cool up to the late 90's, but from Beautiful Day onwards they've just sucked a big one".
The irony here is that by targeting the young generation with songs like Vertigo, BD, GOYB and Crazy, U2 have actually become desperately unhip in the eyes of the kids. I heard the phrase "dad cock rock" a couple of times.
So yeah, they have totally lost touch with the young generation. Most couldn't care less about them (or don't have a clue who they are other than they're an old rock band from England or somewhere) and the rest think they've become desperately lame. As others have said here, they should just stop worrying about appealing to the kids and make innovative, interesting music.
Wow, that's strange. I'm 16 and most people I know can't name one U2 song from the 90's except for One and maybe Mysterious Ways. The most popular U2 song of my friends is Vertigo...

The generalization that most teenagers listen to Lady Gaga, Bieber, and other music from that specific style is totally flawed but at the same time somewhat true. There are a lot of people who like decent music, and not necessarily from the mainstream artists/bands.

Same scenario happens when it comes to underage drinking. A person under 21 can't drink because the generalization comes in as if he or she will die in a horrendous car accident, possibly killing innocent individuals, creating havoc in the family, and making car insurance quotes skyrocket.

Stop generalizing.

:shifty: I wonder if he's actually heard all of their albums? I might actually respect him somewhat then.

And Twilight plus Twilight-the-movie...no thank you *shudders* Bad idea

In the shadows .... vampire meets werewolf?

:lmao: God I hate Twilight (the movie. the U2 song kicks f'n ass!). Interesting that guy likes U2. I never would have guessed.

I'd say they haven't completely lost touch. I'm 17, been loving U2 for around 6 years now and I know some of my friends who are around my age know who U2 are (they definitely should from my Facebook 30 day song challenge :wink:) and some even like U2. But I know a lot of my friends only like the bubble gum Pop/Rap/Hip-Hop music the radio plays.:barf: I like to be optimistic and think that U2 are not out of touch with everyone these days. You can't appeal to everybody though. I think U2 should just make some damn good music that THEY want to make, not something they think they have to make to appeal to us kids. I wish I could experience that daring side of U2 while they're still around.:hyper:

(I know right? It makes me actually care a little about him.)

I'm biased and just think they should make Boy Part II...except that wouldn't fly...:lol:

Kidding. I totally agree with your statement. I think on some level U2's still definitely making the music they want to make, however. I don't know if it's targeted to teenagers or not, but whatever, it's good.

and, :up: yay converting friends! If I'd made my Song Challenge U2, though, they'd probably be ready to stab me by now...

I think they're making music they want to make but at the same time they want to remain relevant/appeal to the radio/younger people and so we get a song like "Get On Your Boots". Sure the guitar riff is catchy but I feel like that song should have been a B-Side and just use "Winter" or "Every Breaking Wave" or something, so long as it's not Boots. I love a lot of what they did with NLOTH, although I'll admit it took me long time before I could finally understand the album. I didn't really know what to think of it at first and I never listened to it after the first couple times through. It took me a little over a whole year before I finally came around on that one. The album has some great stuff on it. I am grateful that I can appreciate something like NLOTH whereas most of my friends would never appreciate it.:D

Back
Top Bottom