GA vs First(Lower)-Tier Seats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Is GA really that much better than first(lower)-tier seats?

• Total voters

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
Is being in GA really that much better than being in the first(lowest) tier of seats? I mean, if you're in GA, and you're at the back end of the crowd, you could be further away from the band then you would be in first-tier seats. And the first-tier seats are the most expensive, so there's got to be a reason, right? I have three first-tier tickets - no GAs were left(and that was 10AM on the dot on Tuesday morning, as soon as they went on sale). I'm interested in the opinions of people who have experienced concerts - not just U2 concerts but any rock concerts - from both perspectives, GA and first-tier seats. Keep in mind that my tickets are behind the stage, but I'm hoping the 360 aspect makes that a non-issue.

Thoughts?

You're right, which are "better" probably depends on where you end up in the GA mass. I prefer GA, though. I think the first tier seats are more expensive because you actually get a seat. GAs are definitely a better value because they're so much cheaper, so I take that into account. GA all the way.

yeah you got secured place, you dont have to line up early for getting a better spot. Obviously closer to the stage, the better...
I tend to look for these seats, mostly sold out fast tho ....

The only problem i see is when people around you dont get excited, they just sit and trying to calm you down as well, restrain you from dancing, "partying"... which could create some bad atmosphere...

But luckily doesnt happen that often...

I think it totally depends. If you line up super early, then I would say GA is better because u should be on or near a rail. I have found tho, that I get totally stressed out doing GA because after waiting for hours upon hours, you hope to get a decent spot and it is never guaranteed. It can get a little chaotic once they let the line in, people cut, people run, sometimes that is not much fun. Then, I was always worried that if I had a drink, I would have to pee, which would SUCK in GA of course. SO i basically deprived myself of water or any fun alcoholic drinks in fear I would have to leave my spot. haha. Also, I will never forget my most horrific GA story ever. In Oakland, for Elevation, I waited from 4am. All the other shows you were allowed to bring in cameras, so of course I had my camera with me. When the line started to go in, I was like #40 in line or something, and when the security searched me, they found my camera. So the EVIL security dude was like "sorry you will have to bring your camera back to the car, we cant let you in with a camera". I told him they always allow cameras. He said not in Oakland. So, somehow, my U2 craze set in (btw people were passing me by at a rapid speed while I stood there arguing with this asshole)... so all of a sudden, the guy looks away and my crazed U2 brain decided to RUN for it. :lol: I then feel someone picking me up from behind and taking me out!!!!!!! He seriously threw me up on this wall and told this other security lady to kick me out!!!!!! I pleaded with him to just take my camera, that I had waited all day. I think I even let out a few fake tears. HA. And the jerk took my camera and let me in. At this time, I ran towards the heart and I was one of the last people in. Fans were so cool and they had seen me in line at the front all day and some made me some room on the side rail.
After the show, I went to claim my camera and it was nowhere to be found. Im pretty sure Oakland security made a lot of money off of peoples cameras that nite. :angry:
Also, out of 5 shows in GA for Vertigo, me and my hubbie never once got scanned into the ellipse. We got in for my last show because a friend of ours gave us a wristband, and one of U2s security guys, gave me another :hug: Best nite ever.

So anyways, GA has its pros and cons :wink:

even if GAs arent better (I think they are, but there are obvious benefits to having seats and being slightly elevated), there is absolutely no way the lower bowl seats are 5X better than GA, which is what you have to pay for them (US $255 vs US $55)

GA is a whole different experience. You're in the middle of the action, and the energy is insane. Seats just can't compare with that, even if they are much more comfortable and convenient.

I think it totally depends. If you line up super early, then I would say GA is better because u should be on or near a rail. I have found tho, that I get totally stressed out doing GA because after waiting for hours upon hours, you hope to get a decent spot and it is never guaranteed. It can get a little chaotic once they let the line in, people cut, people run, sometimes that is not much fun. Then, I was always worried that if I had a drink, I would have to pee, which would SUCK in GA of course. SO i basically deprived myself of water or any fun alcoholic drinks in fear I would have to leave my spot. haha. Also, I will never forget my most horrific GA story ever. In Oakland, for Elevation, I waited from 4am. All the other shows you were allowed to bring in cameras, so of course I had my camera with me. When the line started to go in, I was like #40 in line or something, and when the security searched me, they found my camera. So the EVIL security dude was like "sorry you will have to bring your camera back to the car, we cant let you in with a camera". I told him they always allow cameras. He said not in Oakland. So, somehow, my U2 craze set in (btw people were passing me by at a rapid speed while I stood there arguing with this asshole)... so all of a sudden, the guy looks away and my crazed U2 brain decided to RUN for it. :lol: I then feel someone picking me up from behind and taking me out!!!!!!! He seriously threw me up on this wall and told this other security lady to kick me out!!!!!! I pleaded with him to just take my camera, that I had waited all day. I think I even let out a few fake tears. HA. And the jerk took my camera and let me in. At this time, I ran towards the heart and I was one of the last people in. Fans were so cool and they had seen me in line at the front all day and some made me some room on the side rail.
After the show, I went to claim my camera and it was nowhere to be found. Im pretty sure Oakland security made a lot of money off of peoples cameras that nite. :angry:
Also, out of 5 shows in GA for Vertigo, me and my hubbie never once got scanned into the ellipse. We got in for my last show because a friend of ours gave us a wristband, and one of U2s security guys, gave me another :hug: Best nite ever.

wow, that story sux. glad you finally got in.

I think it all boils down to three things:

1. Process - Do you want to or are you able to wait for hours in line before a concert to get in and still possibly not be up front?

2. Height - if you are not tall and are towards the back - are you willing to stand the whole time on your toes to see the stage?

3. Amenities - are you willing to endure a multiple hour line, then stand in the stadium and not really be able to move once in to get food, drink, or go to the loo? On the flip side, do you think being able to walk in 5 min before the show starts and hit your unobstructetd view seat comfortably sounds better?

I am clearly partial to first tier seats due to my age and laziness (years ago I would have camped out to be at the front of the line to be smooshed against the rail) and thus only purchased those seats.

That said, I am always jealous of the people up front in GA, but then always think of what they ahd to go through to get their and it puts my mind, and legs, at ease.

I think GA should be experienced by every die-hard U2 fan at some point. That said, I've done it 3 times now and to be honest, it's very exhausting. I don't care how old you are, standing in line all day, then standing for about 3-4 more hours inside the arena/stadium before U2 goes on wears you out. And if you leave your spot, good luck getting back in. Tons of people push their way up as the show begins too which is annoying.

But if you luck out and get buzzed in, or against the rail you will have an amazing concert experience. So if you have the opportunity, go for it.

But like I said, I've done it, had a great time, but will probably go for seats this time around.

Wow, thats a crazy story..I hope you have great luck this tour!

even if GAs arent better (I think they are, but there are obvious benefits to having seats and being slightly elevated), there is absolutely no way the lower bowl seats are 5X better than GA, which is what you have to pay for them (US $255 vs US $55)

$255? My tickets are in the first-tier but they only cost $95(before the extra charges, but it still only came to $109 per ticket).

GA! I've seen 5 U2 shows this way, and now I'm addicted. When I've gone to other concerts and had seats (REM, Arcade Fire, etc.) it just hasn't compared. But, I'm also 1) willing to wait a couple hours before the show to get a good spot and 2) tall.

I agree. I had seats at one show last tour and wanted to be on the floor so badly. That was the only show I had seats to and they were lower level

There are people on the U2.com forums saying the "behind the stage" lower-tier tickets may end up being some of the very best seats in the house.

I sat in the lower level behind the stage once last tour. I wasn't thrilled with those seats. Could be different this time, but I wouldn't choose to sit back there.

There are people on the U2.com forums saying the "behind the stage" lower-tier tickets may end up being some of the very best seats in the house.

I'd like to check out a show from behind the stage, just to get the chance to see it from that vantage point. If it were the only show I were going to, then I'd opt for something else.

I sat in the lower level behind the stage once last tour. I wasn't thrilled with those seats. Could be different this time, but I wouldn't choose to sit back there.

These people were saying that even if you're behind the stage, you're still closer to the band than most other seats in the house.

And supposedly the actual stage is going to rotate 360 degrees throughout the course of the show. That's what intrigues me. From what I read it sounds like, by halfway through the show the stage will be facing the "behind the stage" seats, and by the end, it will be facing the front again.

These people were saying that even if you're behind the stage, you're still closer to the band than most other seats in the house.

And supposedly the actual stage is going to rotate 360 degrees throughout the course of the show. That's what intrigues me. From what I read it sounds like, by halfway through the show the stage will be facing the "behind the stage" seats, and by the end, it will be facing the front again.
It's true that you're very close, and you can see things other people can't (like Bono's teleprompter :lol:). But you're also staring at their backs for almost the entire show. Last time we had all of those light curtains hanging in front of us too, but I guess there might not be anything like that this time.

I don't know anything about a rotating stage. I sort of doubt that, but we'll see.

It's true that you're very close, and you can see things other people can't (like Bono's teleprompter :lol:). But you're also staring at their backs for almost the entire show. Last time we had all of those light curtains hanging in front of us too, but I guess there might not be anything like that this time.

I don't know anything about a rotating stage. I sort of doubt that, but we'll see.

It's on tixx.com.

The stage will be wide open down one end the the stadium and it will turn a full 360 during the show, the tickets behind stage should be some of the best seats in the house according to Tom Wilson VP of ticketing site Tixx.com

Tixx Alert: TICKETS and TOUR: U2 Tour 2009 to use a full 360 stage at one end of Giants stadium here is the offical seating chart

Lower tier seats are almost as good as GA in an arena. In a stadium, the distance from the stage to the seats is far greater, so the view is not as good in my opinion, even if you're in the first few rows.

Back
Top Bottom