GA Tips and Tricks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Me too:up:

I've seen times of arrival range from like 5am to 10am from the stories here and in the other GA experiences thread. That's umm...a big difference, especially to my friends, who are not quite as enthusiastic as I. :D How much does it affect where you'll be? I think I could convince them to get there really early, but I would have to know that it does make the difference.
My only stadium GA experience so far has been Vertigo Hawaii. I got there at 5am and was in the second row next to Adam's b-stage. Good spot, and definitely worth the time I put in. I even wished I'd gotten there earlier. It's nice to be on the rail.

Arenas are a totally different game, so I don't have any other relevant experience to go on. I think it depends on the city/venue, though. Hawaii was sort of a pilgrimage for a lot of hardcore fans, so it might not exactly be representative. A ton of people camped out and/or arrived very early in the morning. There were a few hundred people in front of me. It might not be so intense in other cities.

I've seen times of arrival range from like 5am to 10am from the stories here and in the other GA experiences thread. That's umm...a big difference, especially to my friends, who are not quite as enthusiastic as I. :D How much does it affect where you'll be? I think I could convince them to get there really early, but I would have to know that it does make the difference.

At Aussie/Kiwi stadium shows with no lottery, I arrived to queue at times between 9am and 2pm. I could always get a spot within a few rows of the rail. Any time I arrived in the morning, even late morning, I guaranteed myself a good spot in the second row in front of Edge or Adam. 2pm, great spot near b-stages (probably could have gotten close to the main stage too, but I was aiming for different locations around the b-stages those days).

In Boston with the lottery, I arrived at 5:30pm and got front row, Edge's side.

Yeah there will be all kinds. I'm cynical but I just expect assholes, and it does really matter to me where I stand because I'm 5'2. But if you're polite and friendly people near you will probably stick up for you, and of course you should do the same for them. And there is no harm in threatening to get security, or actually getting security. Unpleasantness of it all sucks but you make the calculation which will be worse: that or having your night ruined by someone elbowing you/your kid/etc.

Me and some other people did that at a concert once, called in security. Security threw them out of the general GA area...and into the pit...worst security ever

Me and some other people did that at a concert once, called in security. Security threw them out of the general GA area...and into the pit...worst security ever
:lmao: except that SUCKS!!! You also sometimes risk escalating things to the level where bad security throws you out too. Ugh.

fail-security-guard.jpg

security_camera_fail.jpg

I've only been at 2 GA's, my first U2 concert experience in 1993 the Stockhom stadium in which after waiting all day in the pouring rain got right by the rail on the left hand side of the catwalk and the Slane gig in 2001 which was all 'GA' but my friend and I decided to stay well back.

This time I got 3 GA for Berlin and have evey intention of getting into 'shape' and on the rail! :hyper:

The one tip I can give is bring plastic disposible raincoats with you, the kind that fit in your pocket, don't bother with umbrellas, coz as a few have already pointed out, they get taken away from you, even if your're in the seating section! And bring as many as you can, 5-6 to share with anyone around you who might be in need. :up:

If you're like me and have a bit of a weak bladder keep, keep your liquid intake to as little as possible. Bring drink that's in easy to dispose of containers.

Where ever possible, go to the loo before you get into the venue.

But if that's not possible, make sure you secure your spot first, and if you're with friends, have them save your position whilst you go is search of a loo and vice versa.

Bring only the amount of food that you know you'll be able to eat before getting in and wrap it in a paper bag, or eco friendly plastic bag. Also make sure the food isn't anything that melts, wilts or goes off easily, sandwiches with butter, lettuce etc. Meatpasties are good also fruits such as oranges and apples are the best, especially if you peel and cut them up ready. Again bring enough to share.

A few others have mentioned this, but I'll repeat bring something to sit on, the best being a small plastic bag containing a thin but warm coat to wear after the gig, coz it might be hot summers day or even if it's been raining, but after you've been surrounded by thousands of people and their body heat, you'll be feeling the cold of the evening air!

Also if you choose to wear sandles, take some socks to put on after the gig. It may not be cool to wear socks with sandles but at least you'll have warm feet!

And finally bring two small bags, one a small purse that you can either wear over your head and arm or around your waist for all your important stuff like tickets, money, cellphone/camera pastport etc. and a small backpack containing all the other stuff I mentioned above.

At Aussie/Kiwi stadium shows with no lottery, I arrived to queue at times between 9am and 2pm. I could always get a spot within a few rows of the rail. Any time I arrived in the morning, even late morning, I guaranteed myself a good spot in the second row in front of Edge or Adam. 2pm, great spot near b-stages (probably could have gotten close to the main stage too, but I was aiming for different locations around the b-stages those days).

Same here. I was probaby lined up with you. I did GA for Sydney 2 & 3, Adelaide and Melbourne 2. For each I arrived mid morning and got really good spots very close to the 'satellite' stages.

It wasn't that long to queue up. With a stadium show offering so many good GA spots, is a lottery really required? No lottery means if you are prepared to spend a few hours lining up then you can guarantee yourself an awesome spot.

I'm taking notes - thanks Varitek :up: I think Hawaii would be considered a piece of cake in comparison to what might happen at the Rose Bowl in S.Calif.

And I haven't read thru this thread, but if we're talking about cameras, I can't see how they wouldn't be allowed in. We're talking a stadium show here - there's no way to keep 90,000 people from bringing one in, not to mention the amount of camera phones out there as well.

God, I hope so! When I went to Vertigo in Buffalo they wouldn't let me in with my camera. Being the tool I am, I actually went back to the car and put it away. I did have my phone though...SUCKERS!

Still sucks that I couldn't take decent pics. I have a great view with my GA ticket.

God, I hope so! When I went to Vertigo in Buffalo they wouldn't let me in with my camera. Being the tool I am, I actually went back to the car and put it away. I did have my phone though...SUCKERS!

Still sucks that I couldn't take decent pics. I have a great view with my GA ticket.

The memory in your brain takes the best photos!

GA Etiquette - Survival of the Fittest?

If you've been GA to an Oasis gig here in the UK, you'll know that the only GA etiquette is "law of the jungle". It can literally be survival of the fittest close to the rail. (In fact Oasis is probably pretty tame relative to "hard-rock" bands.)

At a U2 concert, is "working" one's way to the rail considered acceptable? Come one - I bet you've all done it...

At a U2 concert, is "working" one's way to the rail considered acceptable? Come one - I bet you've all done it...[/QUOTE]

short answer...
NO!:angry:

No, not acceptable. The spot you end up getting should be your spot for the whole show. If everyone 'worked their way up to the rail' it would be mayhem.

At a U2 concert, is "working" one's way to the rail considered acceptable? Come one - I bet you've all done it...

No.

We're not Oasis fans, we're civilised people.

Just a friendly advise for anyone going to the same concerts as I am. Don't try this with me. Really, don't. I'll pick you up and place you back in your spot.

If you've been GA to an Oasis gig here in the UK, you'll know that the only GA etiquette is "law of the jungle". It can literally be survival of the fittest close to the rail. (In fact Oasis is probably pretty tame relative to "hard-rock" bands.)

Yeah, a girl tried that with me (she was 2nd row and I was rail!).

My friend and I picked her up moved her back.

Unacceptable!

No that is not acceptable. If you want to be on the rail get there early enough to be on the rail like everyone else

Anyone with Soldier Field GA experience? Most of my GA experience has been in Houston or Orlando where camping is fine and there is one entrance for GA. I'm curious how Chicago flows.

Back
Top Bottom