GA Tips and Tricks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gatorade/gatorade powder. It is more effective at hydration than water, so you'll get more bang for your bladder space. Bring powder packets for any water bottles you acquire later.

Wet wipes = shower if you can't get to a shower.

Don't be afraid to sit on the ground, or bring a garbage bag to sit on (white ones won't get hot like black ones).

If the weather is cold, go to goodwill and buy enough cheap sweatshirts to keep you warm, so you can put them down in GA and not have to worry about them. I did this, I ended up getting them back in the end but if I hadn't I wouldn't have minded, just been cold on the way back home.

If it's hot, chinese-style collapsable fans are really effective.

Be friendly and nice!

In lieu of tampons, I have stuffed my camera in my pants, and also under my arm by putting the strap around my shoulder, that way it's hidden against your body.

In Chicago, we were on the rail again, and between the opening band and U2, we'd often sit down to rest our legs, facing out with our backs against the rail. As we were doing this, a very large girl came and stood beside my daughter, and started kneeing her. I watched for a few minutes, and could see that this was deliberate - she was trying to push her aside to work her way into a rail spot where there was no more room. I asked her to stop, and I think she told me to go fuck myself. Fortunately, I'm not an easily intimidated teenager, and I have a great deal of concert/GA experience, so this wasn't going to fly with me. I stood up, positioned myself so that she couldn't get in, and then changed spots with my daughter. I just smiled at her, told her she was dealing with me now, and dared her to try it again. :) There was no more kneeing. She did attempt to keep one hand on the rail while standing one row back from it, but before U2 came on, I think she realized it was pointless, and left.

This happened to me in Toronto as well. Just my luck, one of the few times we didn't scan, and I had my boy with me, who was 10 at the time. We ended up midway back outside the ellipse and there was a bit of pushing. One asshole actually pushed him down as he tried to make his way back to us from the bathroom (hey, 10 year olds dont understand the logistics of when to pee lol). Before I get blasted for letting him go by himself, he was a big kid even back then and I had no clue that someone would be such an idiot, long before the show had even started. I mean, obviously he's not there by himself and so if he's going back through the crowd he's returning to his parents or guardian. Duh.

During the show, this middle-aged couple kept trying to do what you are describing VP, elbowing him and kneeing him and whatnot, so I grabbed him and did a quick swap, at the same time sortof pushing them back a bit. They weren't too happy because they couldn't pull the same tactics with me.

After the show I posted here that I wouldn't take a kid that age into the general GA section and I think I still wouldn't. He's 14, now, however, and pushing 6'1 and very athletic. He'll be just fine no matter where we end up. ;)

At one show I was at I thought it was kindof funny that some idiotic lady and her friend decided that if I left to go get beer (Notably, not just for myself) that she should block me from returning to my group. Maybe someone can clue me in, but if you're just passing by someone, what difference does it make? Obviously, if the person stops right in front of you, say something, but I was continuing on to the middle of the ellipse! :huh:

This happened to me in Toronto as well. Just my luck, one of the few times we didn't scan, and I had my boy with me, who was 10 at the time. We ended up midway back outside the ellipse and there was a bit of pushing. One asshole actually pushed him down as he tried to make his way back to us from the bathroom (hey, 10 year olds dont understand the logistics of when to pee lol). Before I get blasted for letting him go by himself, he was a big kid even back then and I had no clue that someone would be such an idiot, long before the show had even started. I mean, obviously he's not there by himself and so if he's going back through the crowd he's returning to his parents or guardian. Duh.

During the show, this middle-aged couple kept trying to do what you are describing VP, elbowing him and kneeing him and whatnot, so I grabbed him and did a quick swap, at the same time sortof pushing them back a bit. They weren't too happy because they couldn't pull the same tactics with me.

After the show I posted here that I wouldn't take a kid that age into the general GA section and I think I still wouldn't. He's 14, now, however, and pushing 6'1 and very athletic. He'll be just fine no matter where we end up. ;)

At one show I was at I thought it was kindof funny that some idiotic lady and her friend decided that if I left to go get beer (Notably, not just for myself) that she should block me from returning to my group. Maybe someone can clue me in, but if you're just passing by someone, what difference does it make? Obviously, if the person stops right in front of you, say something, but I was continuing on to the middle of the ellipse! :huh:

Dude, that sucks. I can't believe they'd do that to a kid, ugh. Although you're right, at 6'1" now, he can pretty much stand wherever he wants! Actually, could I stand by him, and he can be my security? :lol:

Sounds pretty assholeish that people are actually trying to get ahead of a kid. :| If I were security there and see that I'd kick them out of the venue just like that.

Yeah there will be all kinds. I'm cynical but I just expect assholes, and it does really matter to me where I stand because I'm 5'2. But if you're polite and friendly people near you will probably stick up for you, and of course you should do the same for them. And there is no harm in threatening to get security, or actually getting security. Unpleasantness of it all sucks but you make the calculation which will be worse: that or having your night ruined by someone elbowing you/your kid/etc.

See, I can handle rowdy in that I have a strong personality and I am not afraid to push back/defend myself with elbows out, but that is all just so distracting and unpleasant. If anyone knows of a better way, I'm all ears.

I have 2 rather funny GA stories.
1. Elevation Cleveland, free radio station tickets (couldn't give the 2nd one away, seriously!) Arrived early, just hanging out inside the arena, a man beckoned to me, gave me a wristband and in I went. I was on the back edge of the rail. Somehow during the show I worked my way up to front and politely asked a girl if I could stand in the front row directly under Bono while he sang "One". She said no way. I guess I asked again and she said OK, so there I stood and I swear I felt drops of sweat on me. I did leave after the song, too. Looking back on it, the sweat thing is kinda gross...

2. Vertigo Cleveland. Hubby and I got right up against the stage right in front of Edge (we BOTH got scanned in!) Before the show I decided to go to the restroom with another girl who was next to me. On my way back in, security stopped me because MY WRISTBAND HAD COME OFF INSIDE MY SLEEVE WHEN I TOOK MY COAT OFF!!!! (I have skinny wrists) They were NOT about to let me in! Luckily the other girl who's name I don't remember went and got my husband, who had found my wristband inside my coat. WHEW I was very close to tears, not at all funny at the time (and really it still makes me sick when I think about how close I came to losing my spot!)

The one time I got scanned into the elipse, I seemed to recall that in addition to the extra wristband, you had something stamped on your hand that showed up under a special light and they punched a design into your ticket, so if you lost your wristband, you should have had a couple of backup things that would have made getting in more doable.

My GA question for most is how late can you arrive and still have any shot of getting scanned into the inner area (at least based on past history)? Personnally, I would wait in line most of the day for a chance, but finding others to do it with me is my problem.

My GA question for most is how late can you arrive and still have any shot of getting scanned into the inner area (at least based on past history)? Personnally, I would wait in line most of the day for a chance, but finding others to do it with me is my problem.

Me too:up:

I've seen times of arrival range from like 5am to 10am from the stories here and in the other GA experiences thread. That's umm...a big difference, especially to my friends, who are not quite as enthusiastic as I. :D How much does it affect where you'll be? I think I could convince them to get there really early, but I would have to know that it does make the difference.

In lieu of tampons, I have stuffed my camera in my pants, and also under my arm by putting the strap around my shoulder, that way it's hidden against your body.

For the Elevation tour I made sure the film for my camera (yes, I used film back then :lol: ) was in my purse, then I shoved my camera into the extra large pair of socks I was wearing. I kept the batteries in a pocket. I just had a regular point and shoot camera back then, but I wasn't taking any chances. :lol:

If you don't make the middle in the lottery on the 360 tour will the rest of the GA be open and unrestricted or will there be a barrier half way back across the pitch? There was something similar in Manchester last time.

Gatorade/gatorade powder. It is more effective at hydration than water, so you'll get more bang for your bladder space. Bring powder packets for any water bottles you acquire later.

Wet wipes = shower if you can't get to a shower.

Don't be afraid to sit on the ground, or bring a garbage bag to sit on (white ones won't get hot like black ones).

If the weather is cold, go to goodwill and buy enough cheap sweatshirts to keep you warm, so you can put them down in GA and not have to worry about them. I did this, I ended up getting them back in the end but if I hadn't I wouldn't have minded, just been cold on the way back home.

If it's hot, chinese-style collapsable fans are really effective.

Be friendly and nice!

I'm taking notes - thanks Varitek :up: I think Hawaii would be considered a piece of cake in comparison to what might happen at the Rose Bowl in S.Calif.

And I haven't read thru this thread, but if we're talking about cameras, I can't see how they wouldn't be allowed in. We're talking a stadium show here - there's no way to keep 90,000 people from bringing one in, not to mention the amount of camera phones out there as well.

And I haven't read thru this thread, but if we're talking about cameras, I can't see how they wouldn't be allowed in. We're talking a stadium show here - there's no way to keep 90,000 people from bringing one in, not to mention the amount of camera phones out there as well.

Yep, totally agree.

I had mine openly visible in my purse last tour and no one cared.

'm taking notes - thanks Varitek I think Hawaii would be considered a piece of cake in comparison to what might happen at the Rose Bowl in S.Calif.

It shouldn't be that bad unless we get a Santa Ana. At Staples they allowed cameras, so there was no need to hide anything. I think people have pretty much given up since almost all phones have cameras nowadays.

Let's say I get GA tickets for the Rose Bowl show, anyone have any advice for someone attending their U2 show for the first time? I've been to many concerts before.. But nothing on the level of seeing U2 in a stadium. Do I get to the stadium early, do I camp out? I want to be close to the band as possible.

I checked out the first page to get some info too..

Just wondering.

Back
Top Bottom