GA Tips and Tricks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If I remember correctly, wasn't the Vancouver crowd supposed to have been exceptionally wild? Or am I thinking of something else?

At my shows, I was mostly on the outside rail. I don't remember having trouble with the crowd pushing, or surging forward, but I did have trouble with a couple of individuals. In Toronto, there was this guy and girl a few ahead of me in line. They had gotten ETS tickets, and had to go to the location and pick them up. When they got back, they'd been given those ETS bracelets. When we started to go in, I guess they decided to try to scam their way into the ellipse with their ETS bracelets, and were promptly refused. IMO, there's no way they could have seriously thought that those bracelets entitled them to get into the ellipse, anyone in line could have told them that. So, we were on the rail, and they ended up directly behind us. That was several shows in for us, we were both really sick, and after days of GA, we were exhausted. Still thrilled to be there and wanting to enjoy the show, but we were beat. That show, I was kind of low key, cheering and stuff, but not jumping around every second and screaming. I was taking it all in a more quiet way. This guy kept constantly banging into us, waving his arms, but not upwardly, more like straight at our heads, and sticking them forward into our line of vision! I ignored it for a while, and then when it got to be too much, I politely asked if he could stop. He then unleashed a tirade about how they'd been ahead of us in line, and it wasn't fair that we were on the rail but they weren't. I told him that wasn't my problem, and he shouldn't have tried to get in the ellipse. He also felt it was his place to judge my concert demeanor, saying that if I wasn't going to be enthusiastic, I should get off the rail. He kept up with the pushing and arm waving, quite deliberately. After asking him to stop a few more times, a little less politely, I finally told him that I'd get security if he didn't chill out. They were pretty well behaved for the rest of the show. In fact, I think they may have done the lateral movement thing, and found someone else who "stole" their rail spot to bother.

In Chicago, we were on the rail again, and between the opening band and U2, we'd often sit down to rest our legs, facing out with our backs against the rail. As we were doing this, a very large girl came and stood beside my daughter, and started kneeing her. I watched for a few minutes, and could see that this was deliberate - she was trying to push her aside to work her way into a rail spot where there was no more room. I asked her to stop, and I think she told me to go fuck myself. Fortunately, I'm not an easily intimidated teenager, and I have a great deal of concert/GA experience, so this wasn't going to fly with me. I stood up, positioned myself so that she couldn't get in, and then changed spots with my daughter. I just smiled at her, told her she was dealing with me now, and dared her to try it again. :) There was no more kneeing. She did attempt to keep one hand on the rail while standing one row back from it, but before U2 came on, I think she realized it was pointless, and left.

Other than that, my experiences were all great, and really, these were just minor annoyances that I dealt with, and then went on to enjoy the show. Like I said earlier, there was incidental pushing and minor crowding, but nothing that made me feel like I was about to be crushed, or anything.

Tell me about it. My friends are the same. They just. don't. get it. :tsk:

:wink:

That's kinda the problem I'm having. I don't know if
A) I can get a friend to pay $55 for GA tickets
B) Somehow convince them to wait in line with me

Why can't they just love U2 as much as I do? lol

I've always had a tough time with hydration and GA. Obviously, you don't want to be in a position where you have to make a break for the bathroom mid-show, but being dehydrated makes it tough to enjoy the show. It's probably just me, but I always found it to be a tough balance . . . My sister didn't hydrate that well and actually passed out for a second on the front rail during All Because of You at the Chicago DVD shoot.

I got a little lite headed at the Elevation show in Philly on the 3rd leg. It was during the opening act and I just crouched down a little and I felt better a few minutes later. I heard someone behind me say they were going to the bathroom and I asked them if they could get me water and I gave the girl money and she got me water.

what appears to be the main entrance is surrounded by houses- and is generally not very nice. As far as I can recall we didn't see any facilities around there at all- because it is residential they didn't allow over night camping and around lunchtime they let us in to the grounds anyway- where there were toilets and food/drink

And also Dubliners turn up late- you could still get into the gold circle at 6pm-ish without queueing at all (as we did on the second show) so you don't necessarily need to be there all day
Good to know...THANKS!

Now I'm a bit confused though. I've heard some say that for the Dublin show people show up EARLY, and now this post saying they don't. :hmm:Hhhhmmm, anyone else have an opinion on this? Not only have I never been to a Dublin show, this is my first time in GA for U2. In the past I've always been in seats.

I'm not planning on camping, but would like to get a descent spot for the show. Trying to determine what time to show up to Croke Park!

Ahh Im so pumped! Really looking forward to the waiting. Hey I spent a freezing December night in New England waiting outside a Best Buy for an X Box 360, waiting for U2 will be easy!

Im curious to know, for those who waited a long time to ensure a spot up near the stage, whats your luck been like as far as getting some kind of "relic"/ event used item from the band? I cant imagine how awesome it would be to get a pick from the Edge or one of Larrys drum sticks :drool:. Do they usually give that type of stuff away to those close to the stage after the show??

My sister and I were on the rail for a show right in front of Larry and Bono during LAPOE. Bono bent over, a stick in each hand, right toward us. But, being height challenged, we were screwed. A person on each side of us had a longer reach and snatched those puppies right out of his hands. So if you find yourself in the same situation, TIP TOES people!

I can't agree enough with upthread posters about being nice to those in line around you. I actually baked cookies and shared with our line mates (I also had a bunch of extra ONE wristbands and shared them around), and it came in handy when it was time to go check into our hotel and drop off our gear and when it was finally time to go inside the arena.

One odd thing: our GA line ended up splitting into two lines at the entrance, and people who had been behind us all day ended up getting inside before us. Luckily, two girls who'd been behind us were nice about it and let us stand in front of them on the rail (my sister and I are rather short). We'd made friends enough that we all held spots for each other so we could go have a bathroom break and buy the stuff we wanted and get back.

We never had a surge issue, but I can honestly say that I'm still considering NOT doing GA this time because I really don't want to possibly end up in the middle of the "outside the ellipse" crush.

Pushing INSIDE the shape (heart, ellipse or I guess, circle now) is minimal to non-existent.

I was talking about pushing OUTSIDE the shape. There is tons. So unless you are lucky enough to get inside the shape, expect pushing outside (especially the closer you are to the rail).

I agree about inside the heart / ellipse, I've never had a problem with pushing in there, even being against the front rail. U2 fans are pretty respectful for the most part.

:crack: No restroom facilities at Croke Park?? I'm glad I know this now rather than last minute. Damn that's bad.
At least in Amsterdam there are porto potties!

Say what? :ohmy:

These are great tips, I think I have to build up some more stamina :ohmy:

After my GA experience in Van in 2005 just outside the tip of the elllipse, I ended up passing out in my hotel room.

I went to a nearby convenience store, drank a litre and a half of water before reaching the checkout, and purchased a sub before going back to freshen up before heading to a bar where I knew they had a U2 event. Next thing I know, I wake up on the bed fully dressed with an untouched sub next to me. I don't even remember falling asleep. I think I walked in the room, sat on the bed and zonk.

It is a physically draining experience.

After my GA experience in Van in 2005 just outside the tip of the elllipse, I ended up passing out in my hotel room.

I went to a nearby convenience store, drank a litre and a half of water before reaching the checkout, and purchased a sub before going back to freshen up before heading to a bar where I knew they had a U2 event. Next thing I know, I wake up on the bed fully dressed with an untouched sub next to me. I don't even remember falling asleep. I think I walked in the room, sat on the bed and zonk.

Oh crap! thats what I'm afraid of is that I'll pass out and miss the whole damn show! :huh:

If one of us gets scanned into the claw my friends BETTER let me in with them as their +1....since I set this WHOLE thing up for them. That's grounds for ending a friendship, right??? :sexywink:

If one of us gets scanned into the claw my friends BETTER let me in with them as their +1....since I set this WHOLE thing up for them. That's grounds for ending a friendship, right??? :sexywink:

i'll be in your EXACT situation...and yes it is grounds for ending it :wink:

:ohmy: Jeepers Creepers! I better start training for this! :lol:

Thankfully I can go most of the day without having to go to the Ladies and I can go all day standing without being in pain these two things will come in handy on the day:sexywink:

Actually, Apu put roofies in your water.

i did that at the airport after a tough GA in Nice in the hot summer sun... i was so dehydrated and i couldnt find any water anywhere - there were no cafes or anything at the airport and it was 2am, and i just remember crying with exhaustion and dehydration and crashing out on a bench for a few hours til i could get on the plane home lmfao

jeesus it must be like childbirth - you forget just how bad it was until you do it the next time! hahaha

Good to know...THANKS!

Now I'm a bit confused though. I've heard some say that for the Dublin show people show up EARLY, and now this post saying they don't. :hmm:Hhhhmmm, anyone else have an opinion on this? Not only have I never been to a Dublin show, this is my first time in GA for U2. In the past I've always been in seats.

I'm not planning on camping, but would like to get a descent spot for the show. Trying to determine what time to show up to Croke Park!

If you want to be on the rail you will need to get there early. If (like me) you are content just to be in the gold circle / claw then you can arrive later. Fro Croke 1 last time we arrived at about 10am, queued all day and then took our planned spot near the back of the GC in the middle of the stage. For Croke 2 we turned up at about 4.30pm, walked straight in to the venue and ended up in exactly the same place :lol:

considering you could purchase 4 GA tickets at one time, they'd be stupid for not letting you bring 3 people with you if you're scanned. otherwise, they'll have to deal with more line disputes and the line will actually move slower.

Thankfully I can go most of the day without having to go to the Ladies and I can go all day standing without being in pain these two things will come in handy on the day:sexywink:

Me too. I stand a lot at my job, so I'm used to it.

LOLO, you guys make this seem like some harrowing experience! I'm just praying I'll get 2 in...about 30 mins

yes, i remember in Chicago during the Vertigo Tour, i was outside the ellipse, probably about 6-7 people back, and my sister and i had made friends with the people around us, so i thought it was safe to go to the restroom and get a couple drinks. But on my way back, when trying to get back up, some asshole was trying to play crowd police, and kept holding me back. i finally had to explain to security that i was trying to get to my sister....and finally, they let me back.

I think I ran into the same guy in Chicago!! We were on the rail and were surrounded by really nice people who reassured me it would be okay to make a bathroom run, since this was my first GA experience . . . Needless to say, this guy made a point of getting in my way when I was trying to get out (so I know he knew that I had been there all along), and then wouldn't let me through when I came back!! After frantically trying to get my husband's attention, the super nice people that had been standing right behind us saw what was happening and reached back to grab my hands and literally pulled me past the big jerk!!

I think I ran into the same guy in Chicago!! We were on the rail and were surrounded by really nice people who reassured me it would be okay to make a bathroom run, since this was my first GA experience . . . Needless to say, this guy made a point of getting in my way when I was trying to get out (so I know he knew that I had been there all along), and then wouldn't let me through when I came back!! After frantically trying to get my husband's attention, the super nice people that had been standing right behind us saw what was happening and reached back to grab my hands and literally pulled me past the big jerk!!

wow. that sounds exactly like him. LOL. i'm not a violent person, but i did tell him that if he touched me one more time, he'd pay for it.

But this time, I plan to bring my professional DSLR camera (Canon 5D Mark II) for movie shooting and great stills - it's big and black and not very subtle. Got any tips? Btw, what do they do with the camera if they discover it? Anyone tried that?

2 experiences:

1. Tried to shoot video @ Montreal with a handheld harddrive cam, it was confiscated 4 songs in. I got it back however at the end.

2. Tried to smuggle my SLR into Buffalo by taking off the zoom and pocketing the body. That didn't work, either.

Others have made it through. This time I have the best combo of great photos and video without looking pro: the PowerShot A720. The zoom is good and it doesn't need to flash for concert photography. Perfect.

Bring a cheap folding chair to sit on. You can't bring it into the venue....but I've left my folding chair in the bushes when going into the show and it has still been there after the show.

If it is gone....no worries...be prepared to lose it.

Bring pictures, photos, articles anything you wish to trade with other U2 fans with. If you have an extra copy of something like a bootleg or single or CD or picture....bring it.

I can't tell you the countless "doubles" I've handed out to fans and they've been thankful. Sometimes this makes it's way back to you. Trust me here. Manners and being polite are key. Everyone wants to be close...everyone wants to see the band.....if you remain calm, you'd be surprised what comes your way.

Also....sounds silly?

PUT YOUR TICKET ON YOUR PERSON IN A SAFE SPOT. I can't tell you how many countless times someone can't find their ticket......or they gotta run back to the car to get their ticket. Or they CAME ON A PLANE....TOOK THE TRAIN......AND A FERRY.....AND A BUS.....and forgot their ticket!

If you are a guitar player....bring a guitar....MAKE SURE YOU CAN PLAY SOME U2 songs.
Also be prepared to be able to share. Share the talent of music...and the wonder of U2.

Can't play guitar? Radios are cool too. Make sure they blast U2 and you have a place to put it afterwards.

I'm a bass player so you guitar players do these songs justice.

No SLR cameras only point and shoot.

Don't flash to many in Bono's eyes. He doesn't like it. I've seen him move away from me because I was too snap happy.

If you have something to offer to help the day along do so. Some of my best experiences in line have been with U2 fans as well as Grateful Dead fans (yeah...you read that right....the Dead). Share your memories and stories in good faith.....not conceitedness.

Karma goes a long way when you're on the tour. Be nice to people. That's what U2 would want.

Listen to this man.

Once they let you in the venue, and you claim your spot, is there any way to go buy a water without losing your spot?

Back
Top Bottom