GA Tips and Tricks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have never been in GA or on the rail for a U2 show, though I hope to! Are most U2 crowds pretty decent? As in respectful of other humans :lol: I'm guessing yes I hope.
I have been up front and center for other bands, and have also been as doctorwho said, mysteriously pushed back without actually moving, including being elbowed in the face by very large, smelly, drunk guys who have no problem knocking down a 5'3 me and my 2 daughters and taking your spot while you're down. I'm hoping this will not be as dangerous!

I know it's huge, but have you seen the picture quality??

I was thinking I could separate the lens and the body and assemble it later.
Then, when tired from holding it, putting it in a bag around my shoulder. As long as I'm in the middle of a crowd and the security people see me, I would have thought that I'd be fine. But I don't know if I can get it in though.

before photo-taking got more strict at concerts ( early-mid) 80's ? I always took my SLR -55mm reg lens/ 135mm & a 2x extender for my fav bands and i have pics to show for it! :wink:
I got real good at changing lens- never dropped em! :D
tho the one thing you weren't allowed to bring was a flash to add to the "hotshoe" on top.

So yes some of mine are grainer than others, but i also got a lot of 5th row seats or allowed to get up the the front for part or all of shows.

NOW in 2001 ................

when things had gotten a lot stricter ......I wrapped the body of my SLR and the 55mm lens 135mm lens in threee separante pieces as............
presents for a friend.
ANd I got it with them!:hyper:

:mad: only I didn't double check wheter my film took up!When i got totally BLANK pics back in a few days......
.......:huh: :scream::scream:

i've always checked/opened my SLR since then, sacraficing 3 pics for certainty!

obviously with a digital SLR............

I guess I'd say IF you have the money to REPLACE it. should something really bad happen with security takin git away etc go for it!

Ahh Im so pumped! Really looking forward to the waiting. Hey I spent a freezing December night in New England waiting outside a Best Buy for an X Box 360, waiting for U2 will be easy!

Im curious to know, for those who waited a long time to ensure a spot up near the stage, whats your luck been like as far as getting some kind of "relic"/ event used item from the band? I cant imagine how awesome it would be to get a pick from the Edge or one of Larrys drum sticks :drool:. Do they usually give that type of stuff away to those close to the stage after the show??

Again I ask you, where is this mysterious rail? :lol:

The rail just means front row in GA - you're against the railing. It can either be the railing in the ellipse, right in front of the stage, or the railing outside of the ellipse, the one on the outer catwalk.

bonocomet, there can be a certain amount of pushing - some of it inadvertent, just due to excitement and sort of being jammed in with people, and the odd time you'll get a few idiots who are pushier than they need to be in an attempt to get closer to the front, but I'd say for the most part, U2 fans are more chill than your average fans at a rock show.

bc, I'd have to agree with vp. I think the pushing at a U2 concert is probably mostly inadvertent. Lila never mentioned too much trouble in the ellipse, and Maddy was there for a couple and seemed to be okay. I think since your probably there pretty early, and before the crowd gets too packed, you get to know the people around you and I'd think most of them work it out where your gonna be when it gets close to showtime. And the taller people usually are okay with being right behind a shorter person for the most part.

It's worth the risk to be up that close to someone you want to :drool: all over. :D Bono might even lay down right next to you and inadvertently get some Bono sweat on you :)

I guess I'd say IF you have the money to REPLACE it. should something really bad happen with security takin git away etc go for it!

I guess that's a no, then.

I was so hoping for HD video of this claw-thing...

I guess it's not worth the risk.

If only I had a Leica, no guard would suspect a little M7...

bc, I'd have to agree with vp. I think the pushing at a U2 concert is probably mostly inadvertent. Lila never mentioned too much trouble in the ellipse,

Pushing INSIDE the shape (heart, ellipse or I guess, circle now) is minimal to non-existent. I was in the heart for a few Elevation shows and loved it. Granted, there are a group who must be right by the stage. I wasn't one of them. I got in the heart, I was happy. Once inside, you can leave, use the bathroom, get a drink and happily come back without issue. If you are against the stage, make sure you have people you trust holding that spot.

I was talking about pushing OUTSIDE the shape. There is tons. So unless you are lucky enough to get inside the shape, expect pushing outside (especially the closer you are to the rail).

So what is the area around Croke Park like? How long of a walk to get food, get to a public restroom, etc? There will be four of us to it will be easy to trade off holding spots in line...but how far am I going to have to walk when I need to use the facilities???

what appears to be the main entrance is surrounded by houses- and is generally not very nice. As far as I can recall we didn't see any facilities around there at all- because it is residential they didn't allow over night camping and around lunchtime they let us in to the grounds anyway- where there were toilets and food/drink

And also Dubliners turn up late- you could still get into the gold circle at 6pm-ish without queueing at all (as we did on the second show) so you don't necessarily need to be there all day

I'm so confused by GA...I'm going to try to get 4 GA tickets for my family for the Rose Bowl show in LA...so that means we have to get there early and get in some sort of line? :confused:

If the show starts at 7, when should we get to the stadium? So you just wait in a line then everyone runs in when they give the okay?

:crack: No restroom facilities at Croke Park?? I'm glad I know this now rather than last minute. Damn that's bad.
At least in Amsterdam there are porto potties!

bc, I'd have to agree with vp. I think the pushing at a U2 concert is probably mostly inadvertent. Lila never mentioned too much trouble in the ellipse, and Maddy was there for a couple and seemed to be okay. I think since your probably there pretty early, and before the crowd gets too packed, you get to know the people around you and I'd think most of them work it out where your gonna be when it gets close to showtime. And the taller people usually are okay with being right behind a shorter person for the most part.

It's worth the risk to be up that close to someone you want to :drool: all over. :D Bono might even lay down right next to you and inadvertently get some Bono sweat on you :)

I wish I could disagree, I've done GA for U2 at their Australian stadium shows (cos they only do stadium shows) and I've never been more frightened at a show than at a U2 show. The pushing and shoving down the front during the Lovetown show I saw :yikes: I'll never do GA for U2 again :no:

I'm so confused by GA...I'm going to try to get 4 GA tickets for my family for the Rose Bowl show in LA...so that means we have to get there early and get in some sort of line? :confused:

If the show starts at 7, when should we get to the stadium? So you just wait in a line then everyone runs in when they give the okay?

It is as it states general admission. People start queuing overnight in some cases, (depending on the location this could be a hundred or over a thousand). The last people to show up before the doors open for GA, generally end up at the back of the floor peering over everyone else who arrived before them.

I have been to 4 GA shows and never camped out. I arrived at 5am for Honolulu, (special show) to be placed in the 4th holding area. I arrived for just before lunch for GA in Van in 2001 and was around 100th in line. I arrived at 7am in SLC in 2001 and was 265th in line. And probably 200th in line in Van in 2005 after arriving at 8am.

Last tour, they scanned tickets as you entered and if you won the "lottery", you were permitted to enter the enclosed ellipse area. We don't have an official policy for this tour yet. This lottery concept is what allows anyone regardless of what time they arrive a chance to get inside the enclosed area.

The venues I have visited usually have large numbers of staff constantly telling everyone "NO RUNNING" so everyone generally walks really fast. It isn't like they open a huge gate and hundreds stampede towards the stage. More like tens of people speedwalking with some running like they are on fire. The scanning at the entrance creates a natural bottleneck which kind of keeps a sustained low flow of people into the venue.

I found that if you are relatively close to the stage or ramps, whenever a band member came near your area, prepare for the SURGE. It's all calm one minute then Ugh, what the hell! Even if you don't want to move, you might move too. After the band member leaves, everyone chills again.

I have always been content with my location at all the GAs I attended, getting as close as needed. I don't want the rail or need to be up close to get "Bono" sweat. But I don't want to see stick figures either. It's nice to be able to recognize who they are which is good enough for me.

^As a person who's been to very few concerts, and only in seats, I'm going to ask a rediculously dumb question. What exactly is the rail?

It's the railing between you and the stage. There is a little walkway in between the rail and the satge for security or tour personel

for the record

Wmbley Stadium and Millenium Stadium are both nearby to shop (about 5 mins away) - Wembley has lots of toilets on the outer ring of the staium. Millenium Stadium had portaloos last time (big boxes that you go to pee in) -

Ideally you wanna take all your food and drink before you get to the venue, and you also want to avoid having to go to the toilet when you are in the venue as it will be a real hassle to get back to your spot - it depends on how confident you are pushing past peopel and telling them you were actually near the front.

I've just been to one GA show--during the last tour in Toronto. I can honestly say it was one of the most exhilarating days of my life...we lined up six hours before the show, and ended up in the ellipse. (I’m focusing on the overall success of the day for brevity, and because it WAS a success). A slight does of reality: there were people whom I’d probably never hang out with ordinarily—the people who yelled at every approaching 4X4 as if the band were inside, and the people who pushed slightly once inside the ellipse (perhaps the very same people).

Those moments aside, one of the most interesting parts of the GA experience was the atmosphere during the waiting, especially as the doors come close to opening. It was electric, and it created such a sense of anticipation for the actual show. What a range of characters--from people who really did think Bono is the chosen one, and had the tattoos to show for it--to quiet people, absorbed in a book.

Like Trev mentioned for his experience, the staff at the ACC handled the entry points very well...along with the scanning centre for the ellipse lottery. Organized chaos, the very best kind!

I'd do GA again in a heartbeat...in fact, I am! The euphoria is so thick you can cut it with a knife.

I have always been content with my location at all the GAs I attended, getting as close as needed. I don't want the rail or need to be up close to get "Bono" sweat.

Never underestimate the power of Bono's sweat! :wink:

(I'm the geek in the blue shirt.)
2yzn1mr.jpg

For anyone who comes to Ireland, you'll be allowed bring water bottles in with you but not bottle caps. So basically you keep a few spare bottle caps with you in your bag or pocket or whatever and you're good

Like AOD mentioned, another thing about seeing and talking to other fans in GA is that you can go home to your friends and family and say "Man, there are some really psycho crazy foolish nutjob fans out there" who make you look totally normal in regards to your love of U2.:lol:

For shits and giggles, go to the front of the GA line and ask what time they got there and how many U2 shows have they seen,..........on this tour. I am amazed by how much time some people give to the U2 tour. I have met some folks who have seen 30 plus shows during a single tour. This will be 6th and 7th time ever.

Oh, and AOD, I've always been up fairly close, I just don't "need" to be up close. ;)

Pushing INSIDE the shape (heart, ellipse or I guess, circle now) is minimal to non-existent. I was in the heart for a few Elevation shows and loved it. Granted, there are a group who must be right by the stage. I wasn't one of them. I got in the heart, I was happy. Once inside, you can leave, use the bathroom, get a drink and happily come back without issue. If you are against the stage, make sure you have people you trust holding that spot.

I was talking about pushing OUTSIDE the shape. There is tons. So unless you are lucky enough to get inside the shape, expect pushing outside (especially the closer you are to the rail).

yes, i remember in Chicago during the Vertigo Tour, i was outside the ellipse, probably about 6-7 people back, and my sister and i had made friends with the people around us, so i thought it was safe to go to the restroom and get a couple drinks. But on my way back, when trying to get back up, some asshole was trying to play crowd police, and kept holding me back. i finally had to explain to security that i was trying to get to my sister....and finally, they let me back.

I found that if you are relatively close to the stage or ramps, whenever a band member came near your area, prepare for the SURGE. It's all calm one minute then Ugh, what the hell! Even if you don't want to move, you might move too. After the band member leaves, everyone chills again.

I've had a quite a lot of experience with GA and have been in great positions centre-front pretty much all the time. The initial 'surge' as the band kicks off is what you wait for if you want to improve your position. Thing is, I've been GA for Oasis, Manic Street Preachers, Stereophonics, The Verve and other such bands who all have more intense crowds than U2 I think, so it basically is a case of everyman for themselves once the band come onstage. However, since U2 fans are more chilled out I think it would be harder to follow this approach and not really piss people off, and no one wants to do that.

Having said that, Dublin 1 will be my first U2 experience and fuck knows what my reaction will be, I may well react like a crazed lunatic!

As for waiting overnight, fuck that - I'm going with a group of mates and its gonna be hard enough to persuade them to start queuing in the morning let alone the night before!

I've had a quite a lot of experience with GA and have been in great positions centre-front pretty much all the time. The initial 'surge' as the band kicks off is what you wait for if you want to improve your position. Thing is, I've been GA for Oasis, Manic Street Preachers, Stereophonics, The Verve and other such bands who all have more intense crowds than U2 I think, so it basically is a case of everyman for themselves once the band come onstage.

I got no problem with the first move where everyone has that initial excitement or when Bono walks the ramp and the crowds try to move in as he walks by.

I got lots of problems with people who walk in 5 minutes before the main act comes on and expect to be at the front. You know, that daisy chain of people, literally squirming with their legs into nonexistent spaces to go where no room exists. I hate those fucking shitheads. If you want to be in the front, get there early. If you can't get there early, tough shit. What pisses me off is those people who after pushing and rudely making their way through people say "I'm a huge fan". Yeah, well, where the hell have you been for the past few hours while the rest of us have been here. :angry:

Nothing is more annoying than some assholes who are fighting their way to the front and end up stuck........in front of you. I have no respect for this selfish and ignorant behaviour. I usually am the one who won't let them get by unless it is a single person who I recognized going by me to the washroom or returning with beer.

Thankfully, I haven't seen to many instances of this in U2 shows although in Vancouver there were quite a few lateral movers. People who walk sideways through the crowd. :madwife:

And to reiterate what some have said, it can get dicey on the rail on the outside of the ramps within the first 10 people deep or so. Lots of shoving and surging can occur in these areas. Inside it's less hectic.

Meh, I'm older now so stuff pisses me off.:grumpy:

:wink:

I've just been to one GA show--during the last tour in Toronto. I can honestly say it was one of the most exhilarating days of my life...we lined up six hours before the show, and ended up in the ellipse. (I’m focusing on the overall success of the day for brevity, and because it WAS a success). A slight does of reality: there were people whom I’d probably never hang out with ordinarily—the people who yelled at every approaching 4X4 as if the band were inside, and the people who pushed slightly once inside the ellipse (perhaps the very same people).

Those moments aside, one of the most interesting parts of the GA experience was the atmosphere during the waiting, especially as the doors come close to opening. It was electric, and it created such a sense of anticipation for the actual show. What a range of characters--from people who really did think Bono is the chosen one, and had the tattoos to show for it--to quiet people, absorbed in a book.

Like Trev mentioned for his experience, the staff at the ACC handled the entry points very well...along with the scanning centre for the ellipse lottery. Organized chaos, the very best kind!

I'd do GA again in a heartbeat...in fact, I am! The euphoria is so thick you can cut it with a knife.

Never underestimate the power of Bono's sweat! :wink:

(I'm the geek in the blue shirt.)
2yzn1mr.jpg

What you said about certain fans believing that Bono is "THE CHOSEN ONE" is so true I have read some posts from U2 sites where you can't believe what your actually reading I mean I love U2 was raised listening to them but I can't say that I want there children or that I see them as being Icons they are what they are are fantastic band that take me to a higher level. I admire...respect them and they are lets face it the best band in the world. I find it humorous though what some fans write...:ohmy:

I got no problem with the first move where everyone has that initial excitement or when Bono walks the ramp and the crowds try to move in as he walks by....

:laugh:

Great post. I'm with you, bro. We'll have to team up in Van to make sure those lateral movers don't snake our prime spots :wink:

Back
Top Bottom