GA Discussion / Camera policies, etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been doing GA for many many concerts and I'm familiar with this procedure. Lining up early always brought me into the front of stage area. Last tour, it was ok to arrive in the early afternoon. It's always nice to hand around, talk with fans, share the excitement. When the gates are opening, things tend to get a little rough, but OF COURSE you have to run, no one just "walks" in. That's part of the excitement of being at a big concert. This system is best, IMO. Everyone can decide whether they want to come early or not. With this stage, I'm sure you'll still have a good view if you're several rows back. I think it would be best to be standing at the catwalk, outside the circle, because you have the best view from there. On the other hand, being in the circle means you get a wristband and can be relaxed. If it's too tight for you, you can go back and have space to move around. I don't see many problems with that system. The only thing that could go wrong is keeping the line(s) organised during the day. I've seen some really nasty scenes outside of stadiums. However, if everyone behaves and security know how to do their jobs, it should all work. For the Vertigo shows, at least the ones I attended, there were always more than 1 line, there were always more than 1 gates.

It looks like I am in the minority, but I liked the lottery. Even though I did arrive early during Vertigo. I had no problem with the lottery because it kept things from getting aggressive when going into the venue. As much as I love U2 I am not one to get violent and trip over people to get in the front of the stage. I love going early because I get a chance to meet alot of people who love U2 music and it is all a great experience. I understand that the "first come first served" policy looks like the fairest way to go but I feel that it can result in a very hostile atmosphere. There will always be the idiots who want to cheat, and I do think that most people are reasonable and won't freak out, but there are always exceptions. The lottery system gave entering the venue an air of excitement if you were lucky to get into the circle. It was fun to watch people reactions!!! I feel that if you get there early enough you will get a decent view. I hope that when I go, things will run smoothly. It sucks to stand in line all day and see arguments and fights.

Getting into the front of stage area isn't difficult at all. People were turning up at 5 p. m. in Milan and still got in. However, it was very crowded. I was directly at the catwalk rail in the middle, perfect spot, we were at the stadium at 2 p. m.

:shocked: Really? Good to know. Are you saying that ppl who showed up at 5pm got into the inner circle? or just near the outer ring?

^ Inner circle. But if you turned up late, you basically had to take a place at the edges, because the middle was so crowded. Wherever you are, view is always good, even if you're standing on the sides and a little farther back. The catwalk is a very good spot because you're close to the band and still see the screen, which is a bit difficult if you stand directly underneath it.

TheFly2u called me from Paris after the concert and said that was the most cramped space she had ever experienced in an inner circle. It's so narrow and so packed, that she and her husband went to the back sides to hang.
She said once you're in, you can't get out and vice versa. She also mentioned that there were like 20 gates with lines to get in. She said that was crazy and that she and her husband got seperated for a bit when the gate opened from the gust of people.

But, she did say that in all her 75 shows, this one just might have been the best. :drool:

TheFly2u called me from Paris after the concert and said that was the most cramped space she had ever experienced in an inner circle. It's so narrow and so packed, that she and her husband went to the back sides to hang.
She said once you're in, you can't get out and vice versa. She also mentioned that there were like 20 gates with lines to get in. She said that was crazy and that she and her husband got seperated for a bit when the gate opened from the gust of people.

But, she did say that in all her 75 shows, this one just might have been the best. :drool:

they changed the gate set-up when people arrived, and several gates were combined (i think Gate C had people from D and J as well) so it was pretty confusing - i arrived, went to gate J like it said on my ticket and there was no-one there, and security said i had to queue at C which was packed...

it looked like the french fan club tried to start a numbering system but it just got unmanageable... plus the queue was right by a road and we had to keep getting up and moving when vans and police cars etc needed to get by, so there was less and less room to sit down every time...

yeah i guess it did get a little heated when the gates opened, but compared to previous stadium experience of horrible crushes, i thought it went really really smoothly...

the inner circle did look incredibly full compared to some of the Barcelona pics... i was right on the rail though and had a wonderful spot... a lot of people were going in and out of the inner circle to get food/toilet breaks etc though before the show started... i don't know if they were given wrist bands, but they seemed to make their way back to their spots ok...

it really really was an awesome show - possibly my best U2 concert ever :)

People camped out everywhere so far, we saw them in Milan as well. There was no doubt, at least for me, that the "no camping" rule is totally useless.

There were two entrances for GA and people were camping at both. As far as we saw, there was about the same amount of people lined up at both entrances and both openend at the same time. There were no organised lines, people were just standing, sitting, lying around these two entrances, and at 4 p. m. they just ran in, it happened very fast. Don't know how it will be like in other cities, though.

I remember walking into the last gig in Dublin on Vertigo tour at 5.05pm,no queue and got straight into the pit.
It was a Monday so I guess it wasnt as busy.
I remember in Manchester a few weeks earlier that the queue to get in was huge ,3 hours before the gates opened.No hope of getting in the pit,unless you were there before 2.
Luck of the draw I guess.

There were two entrances for GA and people were camping at both. As far as we saw, there was about the same amount of people lined up at both entrances and both openend at the same time. There were no organised lines, people were just standing, sitting, lying around these two entrances, and at 4 p. m. they just ran in, it happened very fast. Don't know how it will be like in other cities, though.

thanks for the info

I guess I should prepare myself to get smashed big time for GA, I'm ok with that minus that I have had four legs surgeries the past couple years Im still recovering from. I'll run the best I can, but its gonna be a good shoe for those there watching me run like Im mentally handicapped:lol: still excited though

Yeah I was at the 2nd Paris show and Varitek, who had been to Barca and Milan, said also it was the most tightly packed circle ever. We couldn't even sit in the circle! The poor girl behind me on the rail was taken out halfway the concert because she couldn't breathe!
And idiots kept going out for beer and other drinks, totally inconsiderate about the fact they were CRUSHING us.

The Paris GA was awful. They let two gates in first, then the rest. So unfair.

The problem with the pit is that while it's not full, it's not well designed. The empty space is at the sides and behind the stage, but the majority of action is in a tight space between the front of the main stage and the walkway, there's no where to go.

The pit is absolutely the wrong place to be at this concert. At the Berlin concert I went for the outer barrier directly in front of the walkway. You can see everything, are closer to the band than 90% of the pit, and can appreciate some of the light show better. Getting out at the end is quicker as well.

The pit is absolutely the wrong place to be at this concert. At the Berlin concert I went for the outer barrier directly in front of the walkway. You can see everything, are closer to the band than 90% of the pit, and can appreciate some of the light show better. Getting out at the end is quicker as well.

Sounds like good advice.
I always wonder how people on the barrier keep their positions ?
Do ye ever go to the toilet or for a drink,can you get back to your position easily enough ?

Judging from pictures, the pit on this tour seems considerably smaller than that on Vertigo ,perhaps even half the capacity ?

Sounds like good advice.
Do ye ever go to the toilet or for a drink,can you get back to your position easily enough ?

It really depends on the crowd. If you are with someone who can spread out and keep the barrier position you shouldn't have a problem getting back to the barrier. Most people not at the barrier sit until the concert is due to begin so you can thread your way through. As a rule if your really 100% keen on the barrier, try not to leave it. Berlin was well organised outside the stadium, they roped off the people how had been waiting early at about noon, and did a stamping system to allow entry to the gates, they also announced the time the gates would be opening so you had the opportunity to go to the toilet, get food or a drink right up until 20 minutes before the gates opened without any worries.

Sounds like good advice.
You keep it by staying put. As soon as the doors open stop drinking and make sure you've been to the toilet before the big rush.
Works for me.
The more stories I hear, the more it sounds like the outer rail is a better spot this tour.
Oh hell yes. Outer rail gives best view, you can see the screens, claw light effects, everything! And better sound. :D

Judging from pictures, the pit on this tour seems considerably smaller than that on Vertigo ,perhaps even half the capacity ?

The problem with the pit is that while it's not full, it's not well designed. The empty space is at the sides and behind the stage, but the majority of action is in a tight space between the front of the main stage and the walkway, there's no where to go.

i brought up similar points yesterday in another thread:

this is probably a really stupid question, but for those who were inside the heart/ellipse over the past two tours...how much bigger is that area on this tour compared to the previous two?

from the youtube clips i have seen, it doesn't look all that much bigger because of the shape of stage the band is on and it does not look all that great if you are in front of adam/edge because the angle looks bad for seeing the other side.

maybe i'm wrong, but i'm very curious.

-dan

Yeah I was at the 2nd Paris show and Varitek, who had been to Barca and Milan, said also it was the most tightly packed circle ever. We couldn't even sit in the circle! The poor girl behind me on the rail was taken out halfway the concert because she couldn't breathe!
And idiots kept going out for beer and other drinks, totally inconsiderate about the fact they were CRUSHING us.

The Paris GA was awful. They let two gates in first, then the rest. So unfair.

For the second Paris GA, we queued at gate X. They opened 15 minutes late! Talk about a crush, when the gates finally opened, it was a nightmare push. Argh

Read the original post and just wondering if anyone knows if the ban on "portable chairs" means that no fold-up stools are allowed inside?

Because I was thinking of bringing my little fold-up stool but worried now it will be stopped at the gate :huh:

i'm at my hotel right now. We are six blocks from croke park. Went over to the venue a while ago there are 50 GA people lined up across the street already. Got a couple pics of the stage from a little ways inside the stadium I will try and post them later. Walked around the city all day today and my dogs are tired. Sorry all at the gathering..i don't think I'll make it tonite.. Hope to see you at the shows tho.

Read the original post and just wondering if anyone knows if the ban on "portable chairs" means that no fold-up stools are allowed inside?

Because I was thinking of bringing my little fold-up stool but worried now it will be stopped at the gate :huh:

Foldup chairs are not allowed in the stadium full stop, you can use them while in line, but when you go in you will need to put them back in your car or bin them.

help me out with this rail thing...

ok, I keep seeing recommendations for getting on the "outer rail"... please see the attached image: is this referring to the green dot or the red dot? (Obviously, you can see my preference for Edge's side, I've been on Adam's side pretty often and would like to mix it up a bit this time around, plus I'm bringing some friends who are new to U2 and I think they'd appreciate it more)

U2-best_GA_position.png

The poor girl that had to be pulled out so she can breath? What an awful experience:no:

Brought me flash backs when I had to be rushed to the hospital at a concert I went to a couple years ago cause people keep pushing me more and more towards the stage end up getting so smashed into it by the end of the show my heart was racing couldn't breath or anything and I passed out and ended up in the hospital and had to stay a couple days. I pray to God that doesn't happen in Phoenix.

Maybe I should just line up at my gate and pray for a good and "safe" sport as longer as I can see and hear I'll be fine I think.:shrug:

This is my first U2 show and I want the best experience as possible.

Can anybody who saw the first Dublin gig tell me - did they check your bags?
I really wanna know if I can bring my DSLR...

Thanks in advance...

Back
Top Bottom