GA Discussion / Camera policies, etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for your point of view Oceane! How much could you see of the visuals from your place? Screens? Light effects?

I could see everything quite well, although I´m sure you have a better overall effect from the back of the pit or the seats. But you can see the screens from the back of inside the circle.

I think the outer rail can be a good option too if you can get a rail spot near the center, but if not I would think that it would be more pushy than inside the circle. It was very crowded in there but I could still dance and jump around, see everything, and be very close to the band the many times they came on the rail. So pretty much the best spot IMO :up:

I could see everything quite well, although I´m sure you have a better overall effect from the back of the pit or the seats. But you can see the screens from the back of inside the circle.

I think the outer rail can be a good option too if you can get a rail spot near the center, but if not I would think that it would be more pushy than inside the circle. It was very crowded in there but I could still dance and jump around, see everything, and be very close to the band the many times they came on the rail. So pretty much the best spot IMO :up:

Thanks for the recap! Quick question --I am 5'2, do you think I will have issues seeing them if I am towards the back of the pit like where you were standing?

Flash Photography in the pit?

Maybe this has been asked and I'll premise by I never read all 50 + threads or posts but can someone in the pit use a point and shoot camera to take shots with flash photography without getting in trouble?

Obviously fans are taking flash shots based on all the videos I've seen but what about in the pit, considering point and shoot cameras are allowed in the venue?

I don't see it making too much of a difference with all the lighting but is it allowed or is it take your chances?

that's why Bono wears the glasses:wink: I've always used flash, no problem.

3 posts till 1000.:D

Flash is a terrible thing in concert photography - it washes out the great lighting.

Yeah, but for an amateur photographer, flash works in "the dark". Which is what a concert venue presents. I digress though. ..I guess I could learn how to take pics with my point and shoot without a flash in that lighting, any tips? Is there a thread for that? I will admit, I have a lot to learn. I get great shots any other day but dark or night-time shots look like shit so maybe I'm asking for help. Is there a photography thread?

Sicy, you're the expert. . .right?

Does this help exist or am I asking for a feature request in Interference for a photography workshop?

Yeah, but for an amateur photographer, flash works in "the dark". Which is what a concert venue presents. I digress though. ..I guess I could learn how to take pics with my point and shoot without a flash in that lighting, any tips? Is there a thread for that? I will admit, I have a lot to learn. I get great shots any other day but dark or night-time shots look like shit so maybe I'm asking for help. Is there a photography thread?

Sicy, you're the expert. . .right?

Does this help exist or am I asking for a feature request in Interference for a photography workshop?

I am no expert :lol: But I know that basically flash only works good if the subject is very close to you.. so in concert situations its best not to use a flash.

Here's the photography thread:

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f200/photographers-union-thread-196567.html

And I'm probably going to merge this with the camera thread already in this forum.. :)

Kevin Mazur is the best, and he happened to shoot the opening night for U2.
Several photos of his are posted in various threads/subforums here. For settings, download the photos and view the exif properties to see the settings that he used for the shots, and use that as a starting point.

Ok so basically the rule for cameras per Zootopia is this:

Other amenities (for example misting stations and concessions) will be available ONLY at venues where space and permits allow.Items such as banners or flags on sticks, coolers, bottles, cans, umbrellas, portable chairs or electronics (other than mobile phones and point and shoot cameras) will be not be allowed in the stadium, so please make arrangements to store these items prior to your entry into the stadium.

Point and shoot cameras have always been allowed at U2 shows, if that answers part of your question.

Several photos of his are posted in various threads/subforums here. For settings, download the photos and view the exif properties to see the settings that he used for the shots, and use that as a starting point.

Excellent, ntalwar, thanks, great tip!!!

Thanks, Sicy, I understood point and shoot were accepted so I was hoping, if/when I get in the pit, I want to get some good shots, albeit, October, so I have some time to practice!

By any chance does he go by a different screen-name? I searched that name and didn't find any pics

Personally I can't wait to come to Toronto, flying alot of km's from Canada's great North! Saw my first shows their in 97 for Popmart and now taking my 7 year old son who is experiencing his second U2 show. Well the first time he saw them or heard them was inside my wife's belly (2 1/2 months pregnant) and we were front row inside the heart. We will be in the g.a line up all day with a few old U2 popmartians (who have kids as well). It's gonna be a beautiful day :)
Toronto get ready for a week filled of fun and great music. Yahooooooooo! AS for the g.a lineup pushers and abusers cmon now smarten up. I do hope all the kids or YOUNG and future generations are respected by you all. My son is stoked. Imagine he listend to Rock A Bye lullaby U2 everynight. Awwww :) See you all soon!

By any chance does he go by a different screen-name? I searched that name and didn't find any pics

He doesn't post here - he is a pro event photgrapher. Search for some of the pro photos posted and download them, and look at the properties.

Thanks for the recap! Quick question --I am 5'2, do you think I will have issues seeing them if I am towards the back of the pit like where you were standing?

One of the friends I was with is quite short and I think she didn´t have any major problems. The advantage of staying towards the back is that there is a bit more space (although not a whole lot) so if you end up behind someone really tall you can just move a bit...

Just get out of the show on night one and get in line then!

That is a good idea, I'm sure to be one of the 1st in line!

I was thinking of heading over around 1 or 2ish, I'll decide when I see what the GA line looks like for the 1st show.

I'm assuming there is just one gate to enter for GA, or maybe not. My ticket says enter at gate 0, whatever that means.

I can't picture people camping out in PHX that early...

were you at the last tour? we lined up outside for the April dates no problem, same with September/October (whenever it was, I remember it was just after 9/11)... it won't be bad at all, assuming you bring your own shade.

(and Tucson isn't the armpit of the country... obviously, you've never been to rural Texas, or Southern New Mexico, or Northern Indiana... I miss Tucson dearly.)

I think this system is a recipe for disaster at least in N. America. Anyone remember San Diego first leg Elevation??? Now multiply it about 10 to 15 more thousand people rushing to get into the circle. YIKES The line Nazi's will be back in full force again (although they never quite went away. ;) ).

I'm glad I'm done with GA. Vertigo was one of my most enjoyable tours. I didn't do GA once! :) Don't get me wrong, its cool when you get right up front. But the stress, panic, nerves, hostility that happen when that line starts moving. No thank you! I hope it works though for those of you that are on the field though. Good luck!

Because number of people in GA per show, about 15,000 compared to just 2,000 in arena's, your going to encounter a lot more people who would never think about camping out or lining up for the show early.

Although I can't say this for sure, but I predict there will probably be cities where you'll make it into the inside ring, which holds 3,000 people, by just showing up when the doors first open.

With the Arena's, the die hards willing to camp out always made up a higher percentage of the total GA ticket holders, because the overall number was smaller at only 2,000. With the stadiums, in the USA, there will be 10 times more people on the inside circle than in the arena's.

I may do one night on the rail and one night in the pit in Foxboro, depending on what the person with me wants to do. :hmm:

Thanks to everyone for their perspectives! Can't wait to hear more!

I think camera policy will be a venue by venue thing.

In Barcelona there was zero security doing any type of checking for cameras. There were people around me with video cameras, huge cameras with detachable lenses, you name it. These people were openly using these things and security was no where to be seen, reminded me a lot of Hawaii.

Last edited:
After reading all these posts about GA, I feel a whole lot better about the chances of getting into the "inner circle." And I feel comfortable that if I don't get in there that I'll still have a good experience anyway.

Thanks for all the tips and the 1st hand experience Oceane :)

Of course, they MAY end up changing it for NA in which case all this doesn't matter :(

I've been to 9 U2 concerts previously and never taken a camera. I would like to break with tradition this time and get some momentos but the thing stopping me is that it is just something else to look after and I don't really want to let this responsibility of looking after the camera inhibit my enjoyment of the show. Ah well, decisions, decisions.....:doh:

Back
Top Bottom