GA Dilemma. Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seethruheart

Babyface
I wanted to get in line early for NJ, but none of my friends can do so. Now I'm left with a choice of getting in line early and attending the show alone, OR going with my husband, which would mean not getting there until about 6:30 pm. What kind of spot can I expect when getting there so late? Initially I wanted to be within 5-8 rows of the outer rail toward the center. What would you do? Has anyone gone alone, and if so, how was your experience?

To be 5-7 rows from outer rail, you can get there around 5-6pm and get the spot usually no problem.

Head toward Adam's side. In Chicago, we got there late but I immediately noticed that everyone seemed to be headed towards Edge's side. It was actually funny how uneven it was.

I arrived at 4:30 for Montreal 2 and got a spot on Adam's side about 5 rows in from the back rail, and the spot was perfect.

In Toronto, we got in line at 4, and were 1 row from back rail, between The Edge and Bono!

I wanted to get in line early for NJ, but none of my friends can do so. Now I'm left with a choice of getting in line early and attending the show alone, OR going with my husband, which would mean not getting there until about 6:30 pm. What kind of spot can I expect when getting there so late? Initially I wanted to be within 5-8 rows of the outer rail toward the center. What would you do? Has anyone gone alone, and if so, how was your experience?

I also agree that you'll be fine. Over the years I've noticed that people are not crazy GA queuers for NYC area shows (ex. Philly, who has many crazy people :wink: , had 500 people in line by noon, NJ probably will hit 500 right when doors open).

Thanks for your responses. You guys rock! I'm no longer worried about getting a terrible spot.

I went alone in Winnipeg and it was fun!

I could dance around like a nutcase with no self-consciousness because no one I knew was nearby. :evil: Sorry, Canadians.

But it doesn't hurt to get there after 6:00; I did that in Oklahoma and it was fine.

Yup, late is definitely fine. We didn't line up, and waltzed into the pit on Adam's side after 6pm for Montreal 1 and got fabulous spots. There was tons of room to move around. :up: We even had front rail for a brief period of time (but moved back after a song or two, so we could see more).

Good luck and have fun!

Head toward Adam's side. In Chicago, we got there late but I immediately noticed that everyone seemed to be headed towards Edge's side. It was actually funny how uneven it was.

With Edge, you get a two-for-one deal because Dallas takes such good care of him :hug:

For Stuart, he mostly just swaps out basses with Adam at the stairs to underworld :lol:

With Edge, you get a two-for-one deal because Dallas takes such good care of him :hug:

For Stuart, he mostly just swaps out basses with Adam at the stairs to underworld :lol:

I like watching Dallas. He always looks really happy! And Bono teases him if there's a guitar malfunction.

Thanks for your responses. You guys rock! I'm no longer worried about getting a terrible spot.

You are going to see U2 ! there are no terrible spots. Also the fans are real friendly. You will meet people from all over the world it is an awesome experience ! Enjoy the show !

I like watching Dallas. He always looks really happy! And Bono teases him if there's a guitar malfunction.

I love Dallas too! He's like an adorable little boy in a Californian surfer-type look! That mop of blonde hair :love: I wish he'd drop by the GA line :D

There are already 60 people in line for the show tomorrow. It seems like NY/NJ fans are lining up earlier than in the past, which sucks for me because I can't get there until well after doors open. I thought people would be less willing to queue in the heat, but I guess not. I'm hoping I get my spot.

It's been that way for a few shows this summer, with the line starting ridiculously early.

Try not to let it stress you out, you'll still very likely get a great spot. there's lots of prime real estate around that stage. :)

That is early. We lined up noonish for Montreal 2 and there was already quite a line. It didn't get very much longer than us before they opened the gates. So I wouldn't worry about the lateness.

Don't worry. The line started in Philly two days before the show. There were 300 people by 8am. I got there a noon and was 575....and yet, I was second row on the outer rail, dead center. And in all honesty, you could have shown up after the gates opened and been only 2-3 people behind me.

With venues not letting people sleep over, I think it's a bunch of bull that lines "start" two days early. If you're going to be in line and then go home for the night, you'd better be in line consistently before you break for the evening. The day of the show, I'm ok with people being gone for up to an hour or even slightly longer to get food, etc., in order to take care of yourself for the show. But if you're going to honestly say that you "got in line" two days before the show, then you really shouldn't be allowed to take multiple breaks on those pre-show days. It's not really fair to stop by after work at 6pm, hang in line for an hour and a half, go out to dinner with other people in line for an hour and a half, then wait in line for another hour before security breaks you up at 10...and then really say that you get to hold a space for yourself the next day. Spaced out check-in times with multiple breaks allowed two days before a show seems fair to those who take part in it, but seems like a scam to everyone else. (Flame away!) If a venue doesn't kick you out of line until 2am and you've been there more or less straight since 6pm, fine, keep your spot, I can be cool with that--that's more effort than stopping by the stadium for a couple of hours for a chat with friends.

It'd be a bit more chaotic, but if a venue doesn't let you line up until 6am, I'd be a much bigger fan of everyone hanging out in their car & then scrambling to get in line at 6am. To me, that's just more fair. It probably would only account for a difference in number among 50-69 people, who all end up with pretty much the same spot at the show anyway. And hey, maybe...just maybe...there'll be a little variety in who ends up directly in front of the band each night. :shrug:

[/gripefest]

I have another, related, dilemma: I'm supposed to look at a really great deal of an apartment tomorrow night. But my brother and I have GA tickets. Anyone know how far back we'd be if we got there at 8 pm? (Before anyone jumps on me, I've searched and can't find an answer to that time). Thanks!

You may still be able to get into the pit, but it depends on how full they're packing it before closing it off.

thanks. what about outside the pit? any chance of making it to the front/middle? would 8:30 kill any hope of that?

You'll probably have better luck getting closer to the outer rail on the far sides - the center will likely be pretty packed by that point. No idea how many rows back you'd be.

You should have a little time to explore your options, try out different spots. :)

cool, thanks! i take it that it'll still be wonderful even if far back? my first 360 show

Honestly, if you're too close, you miss everything the Claw is doing. Being a bit farther back (even on the outer rail is not quite far enough to catch it all without straining your neck) gives you a great overall view of the stage.

:)

thanks! anyone else, agree or disagree? should i go to the apartment or not? :) ah, life in new york

Maybe see if you can reschedule. Will you be pushing it if you go see the apartment? What if you get stuck in traffic? Is there a chance you wouldn't get there until later?

Or is 8:00 your "worst case scenario, we'd get there at 8" estimate?

yes, would be pushing it. definite chance wouldn't get there until 8:30. traffic will be bad i assume

I would assume that once the opening band is done (around 8:15, if they start at 7:30), that's when people will start flocking in, either from making their beer runs or just arriving. It will start to fill up much faster as it gets later.

I've never been to a show at this stadium, so maybe I'm way off base and the place will be packed from the get-go, but based on the shows I've been to and what I've heard, I'd say it's a reasonable assumption. :)

Back
Top Bottom