Future Tours - Topping 360

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Personally, I think that, after this tour, they're going to do another Elevation. I can't imagine ANYONE topping 360 anytime soon.

agree ... i think next one will be more of the back to basics type of thing

Perhaps a cheaper show that can tour in smaller/poorer countries? (Philippines, El Salvador).

wait, does anyone know if there was a question back then as to if they could ever top PopMart???

PM was a cheaper show to tour, the problem was getting people to show up. I think the promoter who bought that show only made back close to what he put into it.

PM was a cheaper show to tour, the problem was getting people to show up. I think the promoter who bought that show only made back close to what he put into it.

It does baffle me how poorly the Popmart tour did. U2 are pretty much a hits band now...and even back then they did probably 70% hits so who cares what album the tour is promoting. Was it the tour promoters fault? Or the albums fault? Or the audience's fault? :p

It does baffle me how poorly the Popmart tour did. U2 are pretty much a hits band now...and even back then they did probably 70% hits so who cares what album the tour is promoting. Was it the tour promoters fault? Or the albums fault? Or the audience's fault? :p

They booked the entire tour before selling the first show and gauging interest. Extra dates weren't used. It's still one of the top 5 tours of all time.

Fans didn't see as many multiple shows compared to Zoo and JT.

Too far removed from JT and the album had no hits out of the box.

They were under rehearsed for the first leg due to delaying the album back.

Bono's voice had some issues he's since remedied.

IMO, the single big screen took attention away from band.

What do you mean?

What percentage of this tour are hits?

Well, let's see, out of the 25 songs that have been played at >20 concerts (58 shows having been performed so far), just FOUR of them are neither from NLOTH nor appear on at least one of the Best Of 1980-1990, Best Of 1990-2000, and U2:18. Those four are COBL (recent single), MLK, Ultra Violet (from the band's second-best selling album), and IALW. Now, being on a compilation =/= hit, but it's still pretty analagous - the casual fan is most likely to know songs on those compilations or JT/AB. U2 are not exactly digging deeper than the hits and new songs for the regular setlist.

Make of the following what you will. Here is this tour's record for U2 songs NOT on the band's most popular and best-selling releases (i.e. the Best Ofs and JT/AB) or currently being promoted (i.e. on NLOTH):

City Of Blinding Lights: 58/58 shows
MLK: 56/58
In A Little While: 25/58
Stingray Guitar: 13/58
Glastonbury: 7/58
Your Blue Room: 7/58
Every Breaking Wave: 3/58
North Star: 3/58
Party Girl: 2/58
Mercy: 1/58

That's five old songs from less successful releases, and five unreleased songs, of which only two of the ten have been played at more than half of the shows to date. Your mileage may vary, but personally, I find it very hard to avoid the conclusion that this tour's setlist is little more than "Best Of songs + new songs".

Anyway, I don't usually like arguing this sort of thing, but there's my slab of stats for the discussion.

I think U2 will continue to tour stadiums. They can sell them out easily just with the name U2. No Line had no big radio play and did just fine in the US during a shit economic year.

Plus, using New York as an example, Madison Square Garden has a capacity of ~20,000 for concert. New Meadowlands Stadium ~82000. If they play two shows in New York, they're playing to 164,000 people. They'd have to play four shows at MSG to be the equivalent to one New Meadlowlands concert and eight to equal two. With them getting older, I think they'd want to play fewer shows to more people - thus keeping Bono's voice relatively strong and less wear and tear on his back.

They can sell out stadiums just with their past catalogue, they don't need a huge single or album to do so at this point in their career. Having a big single or CD is just icing on the cake and drives up the scalper market.

Well, let's see, out of the 25 songs that have been played at >20 concerts (58 shows having been performed so far), just FOUR of them are neither from NLOTH nor appear on at least one of the Best Of 1980-1990, Best Of 1990-2000, and U2:18. Those four are COBL (recent single), MLK, Ultra Violet (from the band's second-best selling album), and IALW. Now, being on a compilation =/= hit, but it's still pretty analagous - the casual fan is most likely to know songs on those compilations or JT/AB. U2 are not exactly digging deeper than the hits and new songs for the regular setlist.

Make of the following what you will. Here is this tour's record for U2 songs NOT on the band's most popular and best-selling releases (i.e. the Best Ofs and JT/AB) or currently being promoted (i.e. on NLOTH):

City Of Blinding Lights: 58/58 shows
MLK: 56/58
In A Little While: 25/58
Stingray Guitar: 13/58
Glastonbury: 7/58
Your Blue Room: 7/58
Every Breaking Wave: 3/58
North Star: 3/58
Party Girl: 2/58
Mercy: 1/58

That's five old songs from less successful releases, and five unreleased songs, of which only two of the ten have been played at more than half of the shows to date. Your mileage may vary, but personally, I find it very hard to avoid the conclusion that this tour's setlist is little more than "Best Of songs + new songs".

Anyway, I don't usually like arguing this sort of thing, but there's my slab of stats for the discussion.

Well there's a reason I asked that question.

If we're going to use "hits" so loosley then how are we going to define "rarities" or "deep tracks"?

For all intents and purposes songs like UTEOTW and MS are not "hits" either. I think when people actually look at it with context the whole "hits" band argument is ridiculous. They started this tour playing more new album tracks than any of their peers. And now they're pulling out never heard before songs? Context people.

If you want a real example of a greatest hits bands I can list you plenty.

I refer to a hits show as something where a good number of the songs being played are either familiar from the radio or from Greatest Hits albums.

See: Tom Petty (on any tour but his most recent. Boy was that ballsy of him to play so many songs from his most recent album)

Just out of curiosity... exactly what songs does everyone want that were NOT on a greatest hits, one of their top-selling albums (since Axver discounted UV as being from their "second highest-selling album"), or NLOTH (since it is the album they're touring)?

for clarification, here are all the songs on Best Ofs/U2:18

Pride
NYD
WOWY
Still Haven't Found
SBS
Bad
Streets
I Will Follow
Unforgettable Fire
Sweetest Thing
Desire
Love Comes to Town
Angel of Harlem
All I Want is You
October
Even Better
Mysterious Ways
BD
Electrical Storm
One
Miss Sarajevo
Stay
Stuck
Gone
Until the End
Hands that built
Discotheque
HMTKMKMKM
Staring at the Sun
Numb
The First Time
Vertigo
Sometimes
Elevation
Walk on
Saints
Window in the Skies

According to wiki it seems that their best-selling albums are JT, AB, and ATYCLB.

So what do you all want to hear that isn't on any Best Of, JT, AB, ATYCLB, or NLOTH? I'm sure we can all think of some (I myself would love to hear Please), but really, can you think of 10 songs you'd rather hear that don't fall into those categories? How bout 20?

also, does anyone really think of HMTMKMKM or UF as "greatest hits"? Really? How about The First Time? Do you think the average person off the street thinks Gone is U2's greatest hit?

even if you just played a selection of songs off that list, you'd be able to cobble together a decent show. it's amazing the stuff that they consider their best that they won't touch with a 10 yard pole.

I refer to a hits show as something where a good number of the songs being played are either familiar from the radio or from Greatest Hits albums.

See: Tom Petty (on any tour but his most recent. Boy was that ballsy of him to play so many songs from his most recent album)

I saw Petty this summer and I couldn't believe they played 5 new songs in a row. That was ballsy. Of course people started getting restless by about the 4th song. But I've seen Petty 6 times over the last 15 years, so I know what to expect. Without seeing a setlist beforehand, I can almost predict the entire show. Petty not only plays the same songs every tour, but usually in the same/similar order.

What do you mean?

What percentage of this tour are hits?

The notion of a "greatest hits" tour with 4/5 new songs premiered on this leg, and 5 of the biggest warhorses mostly taking a rest on 360 is laughable.

But then again, this is the forum that complained at the Vertigo tour setlists...

I don't know how their next tour will be but it will be another great one. They might top 360 someday, so it'll be interesting to see with what else they can come up with.

Quadraphonic sound and 3D light effects (see: Nine Inch Nails' 2007 tour production).

Maybe instead of hits i should have said standards which they've been doing for years now. MWays, With or Without You, Elevation, Beautiful Day, UTEOFW, SBS, and One are done ALL THE TIME. (i won't mention STreets becuase the audience expects it and hell so do i! :p ) Even Walk On and Stuck are getting worn out. They did do a large percentage from the new ablum which is great of course, but what interesting songs did they pull out from old albums? Ultraviolet and UF/HMTMKMKM are the only 3, which only counts as 2 becuase we only get to hear two of those at any given show and most people see the band only once per tour.

I still go by my original post. I believe they do mostly standards/hits at their shows. 2 obscure tracks aren't enough in my opinion. Thats for another discussion however....

I really think the audience expects and wants SBS, One, WOWY, and BD at the very least, and the U2 live veterans expect UTEOTW because it is always a highlight, BTBS had the same status as End of the World but their performances started to lack luster and context so it got a rest, End of the World hasn't had tired performances. Theses songs are expected and bring the crowd to life, same goes for Elevation even if I don't want to admit it, but come on, we're all jumping when we're at the show.

Obscure songs, 3 or so unreleased songs and at least 4 songs from their latest album (remember most of the 2010 shows are in places that haven't seen 360) is hardly only hits. Even songs like Ultraviolet, HTMTKMKM, and TUF while being known are hardly universally known songs.

All the complaining and judging around here is coming from us who sit here and await the setlist and want excitement, they're performing a tightly designed show to huge crowds, face it they want to please the crowd and the majority are not like us, they throw us songs like MOTD, YBR, etc because they can do a song or two without losing the masses. We get variety in arena tours, and we will again I'm sure, this just isn't that kind of tour. Most of the people in the audience are seeing 1 show on the whole tour.

Also, collapse, as much as most of us around here :heart: Please, Bono has said that the song has been retired following its appearances on the Elevation tour.

Even songs like Ultraviolet, HTMTKMKM, and TUF while being known are hardly universally known songs.

Those were the 3 i admitted to being obscure so i agree with you there! :)

The ONLY 3 however in my opinion that were out of the ordinary. But hell, i had the time of my life anyway. They could do Mysterious Ways ten times in a row at one show and i'd be thankful to be there.

They booked the entire tour before selling the first show and gauging interest. Extra dates weren't used. It's still one of the top 5 tours of all time.

Probably you mean Top 5 U2 tours of all time?

It's probably not in the top-15 highest grossing tours, and also not in the top-10 highest attensance tours of all time...

I'd love them to do something a little more restrained like Elevation next time around. I wish I'd been old enough to see them on that tour and like people are saying already, I want it to focus just on the music. Both times I've seen U2 [not counting Live8] it's been from the stands of a stadium so it's an impressive spectacle seeing the big stage and lights and screens, but in a sense it's too distracting.

It will NOT happen, I bet, but I'd love them to do smaller venues. Imagining them playing venues like the Hammersmith Apollo in London and similar places around the world, you could have a very stripped down show that would cost SO much less to tour, would make playing multiple nights in venues easier and, as hoped, focus just on the music.

ps.

Without seeing a setlist beforehand, I can almost predict the entire show. Petty not only plays the same songs every tour, but usually in the same/similar order.

Ouch. That'd suck! :huh: imagine that with U2, the forum would be a cesspool of fury! :lol:

as for sets, hopefully they'll keep doing what they're doing with new songs and shaking it up. I love that they've FINALLY started to play new songs before the release of an album, I've always wanted them to. I don't listen to the new songs but it's great to know they're actually 'taking the risk'.

Back
Top Bottom