Edge's Microphone:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is a Pearl Jam song called Leatherman. I shit you not. They've only ever played it live, though, as part of the "Man" trilogy with Betterman and Nothingman.

Just reading that and I know it probably sounds like a joke but it's not. I can't really recall if the song is any good or not. Anyway, I thought it was somewhat relevant and amusing. But I don't think the lyrics reference The Edge at all. Carry on.

leatherman is a great PJ b-side. it was the b-side to Given to Fly. just a quick little ditty they like to throw in to have some fun at shows. its about a weird little 19th century hobo who used to wander the american countryside in greasy old leather clothes.

the idea that Edge wearing a headset mic provides us with a better show is purely subjective, and i certainly to not share that opinion. i've been to a couple U2 shows, and believe me, they have certainly been "the best show possible." Edge does not need to wear a headset mic in order to play the best live shows in the world.

Exactly, you do not share this opinion. But most fans that spent their days in lines to be able to stay near the stage/catwalk are eager to any band member coming close to them. Edge being able to move makes their show better. The majority approves this, so those against it must deal with it, if it's something that bothers one that much.
I won't go any further... if I do we'll be falling into the "setlist argument" where some think the will of few should top the will of many.

Am I the only one who has mistaken Edge's microphone for a cigarette a few times?

The mic lets Edge roam around and it's definitely easier while playing guitar. Who gives a fuck what it looks like?
And for your information Edge looks fucking hot.

He's
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset

That right there was bloody Brilliant!:lol::up:

Now I just laughed my whole ass through this thread you all crack me up!

Now I like the headset since it lets Edge roam freely around the stage without having to carry a mic or stand everywhere or have someone do it for them also help with fan experiences personally, personally I could care less if it looks funny or not.

But what do I know? I'm just a coconut in the tree that waits to fall at the right time.

I have no clue what I mean with that coconut comment it just came to me:reject:

But what do I know? I'm just a coconut in the tree that waits to fall at the right time.

I have no clue what I mean with that coconut comment it just came to me:reject:

You might not know what it means, but it's deeper, better written and smarter than 99.8% than what's written here in this thread. :up::up: :wink:

leatherman-freestyle.jpg

You guys are aware of the super badass tool called the LEATHERMAN, aren't you? I'd say it's a fitting nickname for our favorite multi-tasker! :D

one more thing about that headset mic: a singer will often back off of a mic in order to adjust their volume or create a bigger sense of space around their vocals. you can't do that with a headset mic.

as for the countless explanations that "Edge can run around more with a headset," i thought Edge did the perfect amount of stage traveling on ZooTV/Popmart. for Edge or Adam (or Larry nowadays, for that matter) to be running around the stage so much seems a bit cheesy. yes, it's cool when Edge walks out and takes a solo on the ramp, or joins Bono to sing. but at a certain point it just gets lame. from the footage of the Barcelona shows I've seen, they are definitely leaning towards too much imo.

And no one told me it's lame and cheesy to walk now? How come? :angry::grumpy::yell::censored:

Seriously, I'm headset mic-level pissed. I though you guys understood about trends... :tsk:

one more thing about that headset mic: a singer will often back off of a mic in order to adjust their volume or create a bigger sense of space around their vocals. you can't do that with a headset mic.
Yeah, have you heard a difference in his backing vocals?

BTW singers usually back off due to volume or lack of confidence not to "create a sence of space". Which really has nothing to do with backing vocals.

as for the countless explanations that "Edge can run around more with a headset," i thought Edge did the perfect amount of stage traveling on ZooTV/Popmart. for Edge or Adam (or Larry nowadays, for that matter) to be running around the stage so much seems a bit cheesy. yes, it's cool when Edge walks out and takes a solo on the ramp, or joins Bono to sing. but at a certain point it just gets lame. from the footage of the Barcelona shows I've seen, they are definitely leaning towards too much imo.
Have you listened to NLOTH? A lot more backing vocals then previous albums. Edge is singing more, to compare it to ZooTV is just silly...

I find the fact that you focus on such a minor detail extremely cheesy and lame, to use your vocabulary. I bet you in the next three years The Killers will be using them and your band will follow...

Have you listened to NLOTH? A lot more backing vocals then previous albums. Edge is singing more, to compare it to ZooTV is just silly...

I find the fact that you focus on such a minor detail extremely cheesy and lame, to use your vocabulary. I bet you in the next three years The Killers will be using them and your band will follow...

i wouldn't call taking away a microphone and adding a headset mic a minor detail. but if you do -- this is U2, the biggest band in the world. they are so heavily involved in every single detail of the production of their live shows. i focus on it because i think the band should as well.

as for the number of songs Edge sings:

July 8, 2009 - San Siro Milan - ITALY

1. Breathe
2. No Line on the Horizon
3. Get on Your Boots
4. Magnificent
5. Beautiful Day / Here comes the sun(snippet)
6.I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For / Movin' On Up (snippet)
7. Desire/ Billy Jean(snippet) / Don't Stop Till You Get Enough(Snippet)
8. Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of (Edge solo)
9. Electrical Storm
10. Unknown Caller
11. The Unforgettable Fire
12. City Of Blinding Lights
13. Vertigo
14. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight(Remix)
15. Sunday Bloody Sunday / Get Up Stand Up(Snippet)
16. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
17. MLK
18. Walk On / You'll Never Walk Alone(Snippet)
19. Where The Streets Have No Name
20. One

Encore:
21. Ultra Violet
22. With or Without You
23. Moment of Surrender

20/23

11/27/1993 Sydney Football Stadium - Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Zoo Station
The Fly
Even Better Than The Real Thing
Mysterious Ways
One / Unchained Melody (snippet)
Until The End Of The World
New Year's Day
Numb
Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World
Angel Of Harlem
Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
Satellite Of Love
Dirty Day
Bullet The Blue Sky
Running To Stand Still
Where The Streets Have No Name
Pride (In The Name Of Love)

Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
Lemon
With Or Without You
Love Is Blindness
Can't Help Falling In Love

17/22

so a 3 song difference. but for 4 of the 5 songs that Edge didn't sing on the ZooTV dvd, he was still at his post. so for every song on that dvd he was either singing backing vocals or standing stage right. looking at it this way, i don't think the number of songs he has to sing makes that big of a difference.

Maybe a lead singer, but Edge rarely backs off the microphone. Plus, regarding what BVS followed up re: confidence...Edge is actually a very good singer. I would say up till recently, in a technical sense, a better singer than...

(ducks)

Guys, this is a much larger stage, with a different design ie 360 degrees. Edge, especially since Vertigo, has gotten alot more comfortable walking out and giving the crowd some Edge-tasticness. From what I see, liking doing it even.

Edge can't win...when he would venture out before and not make it back to the mic in time for a harmony or backup vocal, people would bitch or say 'hey that was prerecorded look he wasn't even at the mic'. Just let him do his fucking thing, for crissakes!

i wouldn't call taking away a microphone and adding a headset mic a minor detail. but if you do -- this is U2, the biggest band in the world. they are so heavily involved in every single detail of the production of their live shows. i focus on it because i think the band should as well.
Yes in the overall scheme of things it's very minor. I'll ask again, have you heard a difference?

You seem very style over substance, which is fine, I can see why the Killers suit you, but I would rather see a mobile Edge if I can hear a difference in his backing vocals...:shrug:

Everyone calm down...

Backing Vox is a rare art these days, two people who do it rather well are Edge and Ed O'Brien from Radiohead. Backing off the mic is a known technique for backing singing, esp. for a shouting bit like beautiful day, which is aided by a "choral effect" anyway.

Look, I understand all sides to the arguement here. I don't like the look of the mic on the tacky side of matters. I know its a 360 tour and U2 is committed to showing all fans who they are during the gig, so they need to roam.

But to disco-lp's point, you don't want to over do a good thing, which is have Edge come out and spare with the crowd and never move back to his post. It was cool to see Adam roam down the walkways- I dunno. Maybe 360 is too glossy from the stage setup...I like the claw and visuals.

I think several of us like rock and roll, meaning the old school flash, seeing the gear on stage. This 360 is less of it. That is all we are pointing out. Shit. I hate Adam's Warick bass in Electrical Storm too, wish he would just play his beat up Fender...I could go on and on.

We all have a passion for U2, and sometime we differ.

Last edited:
Yes in the overall scheme of things it's very minor. I'll ask again, have you heard a difference?

You seem very style over substance, which is fine, I can see why the Killers suit you, but I would rather see a mobile Edge if I can hear a difference in his backing vocals...:shrug:

you're arguing "style over substance" with a band like U2? the fact is, whether it's U2, or The Killers, or Muse, or any rock n' roll band, image matters almost as much as the music. how much effort do you think U2 has put into what they wear, how they look, and how they are presented on their stage? it's probably so much more than they would even want to admit. so if you're trying to say the band doesn't care about style, you're dead wrong. this is U2. style is part of the art.

like i said before, i think Edge has always been great at moving around on stage, without that mic on. but on this tour, so far, it's been too much. like someone else pointed out earlier, they are trying something new on this tour, which is a very U2 thing to do. so kudos to them for that, i suppose. i just don't like it. i haven't heard a difference, but i've definitely seen it.

I think several of us like rock and roll, meaning the old school flash, seeing the gear on stage. This 360 is less of it. That is all we are pointing out. Shit. I hate Adam's Warick bass in Electrical Storm too, wish he would just play his beat up Fender...I could go on and on.

:up:

Back
Top Bottom