Edge says "New things" for 2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ill use the same set as they did at Rose Bowl but mix it up, and show you how so much better this tour could of been, if they picked a set like this:

Intro - Let Me In The Sound(Extended)
1. Get On Your Boots
2. No Line On The Horizon
3. Until The End Of The World
4. Mysterious Ways
5. Beautiful Day
6. Elevation
7. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For/Stand By Me(Snippet)
8. Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
9. Unknown Caller
10. In A Little While
11. Breathe
12. Vertigo/Only Rock N Roll(Snippet)
13. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight(Remix)/Two Tribes(Snippet)
14. Sunday Bloody Sunday
15. MLK
16. Walk On/ You'll Never Walk Alone(Snippet)
17. City Of Blinding Lights
18. The Unforgettable Fire
19. Magnificent
<Desmond Tutu Speech>

Encores:
20. One w/ Hear Us Coming/Amazing Grace(Snippet)
21. Where The Streets Have No Name

22. UltraViolet(Light My Way)
23. With Or Without You
24. Moment Of Surrender

See how the first third of the set is alot more alive, the middle is mixed, and the end of the encore finishes with Magnificent. This set would make the show a whole lot better.

Magnificent was an incredible opening song. Whenever I hear the powerchords at the beginning of the track I get taken back to the concert. They should change the intro song up night to night. Part of what made it so special was the fact that they have usually played "breathe" instead.

Ill use the same set as they did at Rose Bowl but mix it up, and show you how so much better this tour could of been, if they picked a set like this:

1. Get On Your Boots
4. Mysterious Ways
5. Beautiful Day
6. Elevation
9. Unknown Caller
10. In A Little While
11. Breathe
14. Sunday Bloody Sunday
15. MLK
19. Magnificent
<Desmond Tutu Speech>

Encores:

23. With Or Without You
24. Moment Of Surrender

See how the first third of the set is alot more alive, the middle is mixed, and the end of the encore finishes with Magnificent. This set would make the show a whole lot better.

hey, that's pretty good. :up:

1. Get On Your Boots
4. Mysterious Ways
5. Beautiful Day
6. Elevation
9. Unknown Caller
10. In A Little While
11. Breathe
14. Sunday Bloody Sunday
15. MLK
19. Magnificent
<Desmond Tutu Speech>

Encores:

23. With Or Without You
24. Moment Of Surrender

Nice! I really like the idea of using Magnificent as the main set's closer.

I loved Magnificent opening when I saw it. But I still wish they played Breathe later in the setlist. I'm not sure which I liked opening. Saw Breathe open 3 times and Magnificent the lone time it opened.

Personally all I could think when the flowers came on screen and the whole band was there, was 'what the?'. I loved Breathe as the opener, the reason it didn't 'work' was the crowd being ignorant of NLOTH tracks, Boots is the only one that could have kicked the show off with the energy you guys are looking for. I love Magnificent to death but unfortunately the casuals haven't taken to it the way they already had with COBL on Vertigo, because its never had a ton of response at the shows I've seen which is too bad, although I have to admit they haven't quite nailed Mag live yet.

I still think something was really off about the way they started Foxboro 2, the change left a hiccup between the intro and them playing. Then I was kind of on edge as to whether they'd play it or not all night, I think the reason they didn't do other shows with different openers is that they still wanted Breathe in the set, but they didn't experiment with a different placement on that day.

Some people clearly have no grasp on the huge difference in singing technique Bono uses nowadays compared to back then.

pssht... how dare you insult the boner by insinuating that age, while taking a toll on every other living human being, would have an effect on our beloved boner.

honestly... i don't even know why you post on these boards. if you don't like boner then take your reason and logical thought and go somewhere else.

1. Get On Your Boots
4. Mysterious Ways
5. Beautiful Day
6. Elevation
9. Unknown Caller
10. In A Little While
11. Breathe
14. Sunday Bloody Sunday
15. MLK
19. Magnificent
<Desmond Tutu Speech>

Encores:

23. With Or Without You
24. Moment Of Surrender

Nice, I imagine that would work quite well, although I don't really like having three fast songs at once (Talking about Breathe, Vertigo and then the IGCIIDGCT-remix after eachother). Bono would probably be really tired going into SBS afterwards, all three requires a lot of energy.

I like it more when they're spread out a bit. If you take all the fast, energetic songs at once there won't be much left for later on. :sad:

pssht... how dare you insult the boner by insinuating that age, while taking a toll on every other living human being, would have an effect on our beloved boner.

honestly... i don't even know why you post on these boards. if you don't like boner then take your reason and logical thought and go somewhere else.

We should probably duel at high noon.

Nice, I imagine that would work quite well, although I don't really like having three fast songs at once (Talking about Breathe, Vertigo and then the IGCIIDGCT-remix after eachother). Bono would probably be really tired going into SBS afterwards, all three requires a lot of energy.

I like it more when they're spread out a bit. If you take all the fast, energetic songs at once there won't be much left for later on. :sad:

But then you look at the 4 songs before that, and there all slow paced chill out songs which dont require alot of energy.

Also the setlist starts with rockers, and ends with rockers like magnificent, COBL ect.

But i clearly see your point mate.

U2 need to find a good opening song, period. I think Get On Your Boots is still the best No Line Song for this. ( I am not saying its the best song mind you.)

IF they get a recording done, I am sure they will try and launch a new tune that is radio friendly and an opener...a la Beau. Day. We shall see.

And I know its a tired point, but why not go out with a band some nights and play Bad. It never gets old, I am not saying ditch Moment of Surrender either, just get bad in the rotation. It works well all.the.time.

I hope Edge's promises for 2010 include more 90's tracks, I've said this before but they've totally repressed their 90's catalog...and the CLAW deserves more 90's nods, not to mention they abandoned mysterious ways guitar solo. Plus, I can tell you from both the Giants stadium shows, their was a major energy drop in the crowd about during the second half of the setlist, the wind was completely knocked out of the crowd from the Desmond Tutu speech til the end of the show, during Streets their was a jolt of life injected, Ultraviolet brought back some hope too, but it completely died after that, the stadium was already emptying out before WOWY was over. I hope they add more 'energy' to balance their setlist in 2010.

We must have been at different NY shows then. I was at both of them and to say there was just a jolt of life during Streets is just wrong. I was in the upper tier and the entire stadium was shaking.

on the second night the stadium did start emptying out during moment of surrender. that's about the only semi-truth in that above statement. and the reasons why it was a bigger exodous than the normal late show exodous is because of the mess that trains were the night before, which was a big news story.

that said... yes, the set list should be shaken up, obviously.

It was depending on sections. Section 202 or whever i was the first night sucked ass and people never stood up and the lights stayed on in our section. The next night in 319, everyone was on their feet and loved it

SMB

I hope Edge's promises for 2010 include more 90's tracks, I've said this before but they've totally repressed their 90's catalog...and the CLAW deserves more 90's nods, not to mention they abandoned mysterious ways guitar solo. Plus, I can tell you from both the Giants stadium shows, their was a major energy drop in the crowd about during the second half of the setlist, the wind was completely knocked out of the crowd from the Desmond Tutu speech til the end of the show, during Streets their was a jolt of life injected, Ultraviolet brought back some hope too, but it completely died after that, the stadium was already emptying out before WOWY was over. I hope they add more 'energy' to balance their setlist in 2010.

co-signed. I've made the same comment about the shows I was at.

on the second night the stadium did start emptying out during moment of surrender. that's about the only semi-truth in that above statement. and the reasons why it was a bigger exodous than the normal late show exodous is because of the mess that trains were the night before, which was a big news story.

that said... yes, the set list should be shaken up, obviously.

You seriously think the final 30% of the show was full of energy? It totally dropped off, the masks and Tutu speech had a lot to do with it though, all I'm saying is if they're going to kill the crowd's momentum - they should up the tempo after that.

You seriously think the final 30% of the show was full of energy? It totally dropped off, the masks and Tutu speech had a lot to do with it though, all I'm saying is if they're going to kill the crowd's momentum - they should up the tempo after that.

Folks tire of the political rants etc. Even know that Bono uses his pulpit when he can. One fact of stadium show is a lot of folks decide to leave early due to traffice etc.
Who wants to wait 2 hours to get out of parking lot.

:shifty:

Folks tire of the political rants etc. Even know that Bono uses his pulpit when he can. One fact of stadium show is a lot of folks decide to leave early due to traffice etc.
Who wants to wait 2 hours to get out of parking lot.

:shifty:
Well those "folks" are knobs.Why go to any event if all you are worried about is how long it will take to get out of the parking lot? This is U2's first tour in 4+ years... mondane inconveniences are irrelevant.

You know, i wish the band would just think fuck it, lets go wild and make this the best tour we have ever done. Add in loads of rockers, get a complete new look, go wild like they did with the popmart look, make the claw more immense and add more lights and maybe make the stage spin or something, they just need to take it that step further, and forget about trying to be appropriate and not to overwhelming for fans. When there back, their most probably look the same, the claw will, and only the set will change. How about surprising everyone and changing everything, come on boys, its been to long.

You know, i wish the band would just think fuck it, lets go wild and make this the best tour we have ever done. Add in loads of rockers, get a complete new look, go wild like they did with the popmart look, make the claw more immense and add more lights and maybe make the stage spin or something, they just need to take it that step further, and forget about trying to be appropriate and not to overwhelming for fans. When there back, their most probably look the same, the claw will, and only the set will change. How about surprising everyone and changing everything, come on boys, its been to long.

I'd be careful before calling something like that the best tour they'd ever do, before for some people (such as myself), that would really hurt the show that they currently have. I love the balance of the show. I love the space theme of it, and how so many songs are tied into it, either metaphorically or literally. For me, this is up there with ZooTV, and probably better than PopMart.

Actually, if there was one show that I think could have used a major setlist overhaul, it was PopMart. For me, the number of rockers at the front of the show make it all redundant and a bit boring once you get through UTEOTW, and then the badly-done forced-sounding greatest hits came in until the show picked back up with Miami.

...and still no UK dates announced for 2010 :( oh apart from Glasto) which is not my thing, besides the tickets sold out a couple of months before U2 announced they would play

...and still no UK dates announced for 2010 :( oh apart from Glasto) which is not my thing, besides the tickets sold out a couple of months before U2 announced they would play

U2 said there only Irish/UK appearance next year would be Glastonbury!!!
Twice as sickening after all the Belfast and Aviva Stadium (Dublin) rumors! :|:|:|:|

Back
Top Bottom