Edge says "New things" for 2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think you may be right, JJ31, I think they just might be obligated to play BD at every live gig, but it's a great song, so that's ok. Also, you and She'llbehere are right about the HOF show. I read that in RS also about him partying all night with Will.I.Am. And when doesn't he jaw all nighthttp://www.u2interference.com/forums/images/smilies/lol.gif

we are not hearing the same guy then....

this is 100% (and I'm talking about what he "gives" in this song, not his age, look, moves or whatever)

i think 100% then and 100% now are 2 completely different things, and you have to factor in age.

Oh, I need to see evidence of this, any photos?

VERY strict no photo policy while we were at the beach hotel that day. I did manage a hi, how are you and got a nod and wave back. of course the kids got to frollick with Larry and his kids. they were burying billie joe in the sand as a mermaid and did beachy things for a couple hours, but us adults hung well back to give them all their space.

a snippet isn't considered a full performance. so in 1993, when U2 did a snippet of "The First Time" at the end of "Bad", it wasn't considered it's own seperate track in the setlist.

I did not say that a s snippet "is considered a full performance", but a performance. If it is written or not on the setlist –snippets thought to be rather spontaneous obvioulsy are not – is none of importance.

Why would it be considered a performance?

Simple answer: Because it was performed. I do not make a logical difference between Bono singing "Bad" –which is a performance – and Bono singing "Candle In The Wind" –which is part of the performance, too.

So when you say "Heartland" was never performed live, this is wrong and leaves a false impression to most people, who are not die-hard students of gigs.com. Cheers to Axver:wave:
Because "Heartland" was not completely forgotten by the band, but instead it was sung and inserted as a snippet at least twice in '89 – which for me is a performance.
And, yes, it makes difference to me, if U2 decide to play "Bad" with no snippet or with "Fool Tp Cry" plus '40' snippeted additionally as part of this performance.

I think we're using "performance" to mean two different things here. One meaning "performed in any sense, to any extent" and the other meaning "performed in full (or thereabouts)". While it is true that Bono has performed a couple of lines from Heartland on two occasions, I think when most people want to know if a song has been performed, they use the second meaning, of something being done in full.

Hence, while you can make a semantic case that Hertland has been performed, on a practical level I do not believe it is correct to say so, as it casts a false impression.

I wouldn't be surprised if The Claw itself has a few tricks up it's sleave for us on the 2010 leg. Then agaain if it didn't that'd be alright but I can't imagine them having an 8 month break and not having some new type of technological trick developed waiting to be showcased.

I think we're using "performance" to mean two different things here. One meaning "performed in any sense, to any extent" and the other meaning "performed in full (or thereabouts)". While it is true that Bono has performed a couple of lines from Heartland on two occasions, I think when most people want to know if a song has been performed, they use the second meaning, of something being done in full.
Hence, while you can make a semantic case that Hertland has been performed, on a practical level I do not believe it is correct to say so, as it casts a false impression.

Yes, mate, but there we do differ in opinion – as you already know.:wink: But to return to the thread: "new things to show" – might be even regarding visual elements and not only a mixed-up setlist.

I wouldn't be surprised if The Claw itself has a few tricks up it's sleave for us on the 2010 leg. Then agaain if it didn't that'd be alright but I can't imagine them having an 8 month break and not having some new type of technological trick developed waiting to be showcased.

I think this is what edge is trying to tell us. Aside from obvious set list changes, there hopefully will be another highlight added (along with the circle microphone?)

I think Willie alluded to this in his lastest entry from Berlin:

This time though, with last night's post-show dinner and today's lunch, we have had a good chunk of easy, calm time to look back at the thing we made this year.

To be honest, we're all still rather amazed by it - it's not that we ever doubted that it would work, but all the same it did rather exceed expectations, mostly in that it proved to be such enormous fun to do shows in this configuration. That we have a chance to regroup and do it all over again next year, now knowing what we have, seems like luxury untold. I wonder what we'll do with it...

The Claw is going to begin walking and the spire will shoot laser beams, annihilating all in it's path. They were just lulling everyone into a false sense of security. Beings from outer space do that, usually.

I think the one thing they could do to improve it is have some better opener sequence. (breathe is not a bad opener... just could be more flashy.. i like flashy)

I think the one thing they could do to improve it is have some better opener sequence. (breathe is not a bad opener... just could be more flashy.. i like flashy)

I agree. Breathe was alright but they need a new opener. Even Boots woudl be cool. An extended version of the intro they used for it this tour would be cool. Maybe they'll be "edgey" and open with Fez

2009 Tour will be remember as the training tour for 2010. Claw will be reworked into a spaceship and after playing for 2 hours it will jetison off to next stadium....

PR for next year just say you will play 24 different songs then you did this year.

Ticket sales and renewals to ticket club would go bonkers...
:lol:

Sorry if this has been posted somewhere else, this is from new rolling stone. Here's what Edge says about the 2010 U2 360 tour:

"Because of the YouTube broadcast, I can't imagine that we'd come back and continue with that exact same show. We'll want to develop and adapt it. The next time people see us, there will be new things to show."

Hoping they really rework the whole flow of the show. I liked the first legs, but still think they can really improve upon it. I would hate to see them do the same set, and just plug in a couple of new songs.

Really would love to see them really mix up the 2nd half of the show. It seemed to be autopilot once they hit the half way mark.

Oh, because of the DVD, please Edge, give me a break... I can't stand when they counter the bitching and pretend it's all casual. Like that U2.com article, "Think you know the 360 show? Think again"... ROTFL.

I bet the first couple of Euro shows will be standard and then they'll switch things off and pass off the deliberate timing as spontaneous. "We were ready for a change".

Magnificent definitely should be a "new" opener. They totally can change things up. Not meaning to debate the issue but one of my other favs, The Avett Bros, play a different set every night but obviously they don't get as technical as our boys!

Breathe imho has let this tour down, the tour could have been the best of the best if the start of the set was right. Fans spend hours anticipating the claw before the show, and keep wondering what it will be like once the show starts, and Breathe just doesnt give the claw any justice, or doesnt provide it with any amazing effects, because the song is just to slow. There was only one song that would work to kick off every show, and that was Get on your boots. They could of extended the intro so the band come on stage whilst the remix is playing, and kick in with edges guitar straight away. Almost like elevation, where the remix blends into the band playing. Thats how i like intro's to be anyway, not having an intro, then starting a song. Anyways if GOYB was picked, as soon as the drums kick in, the stage flickers with loads of lights like UTEOTW does on this tour. Then in second spot have NLOTH or UETOW to keep it going. Thats what the first 2 legs missed, a rocking first third of the set.

Im actually going to criticise Breathe as a song. Its been mentioned before, but its a song made up of to many songs/verses. It takes way to long until you get to the i can breatheeeee part. I wouldnt mind to much if it kicked of the show and the actually song was shorter, but it just drags on to much. I still dont understand from this day what the band see in this working as an opener. I thought when they opened with Magnificent they have finally realised breathe doesnt work, but of course, they didnt, and went back to old ways. The last 2 tours, the openers have worked, with elevation/vertigo/clob, but on the remainder of this tour left, they need to turn it around. The first 2 leg setlist have been more mid-tempo overall, but on this next leg, they need to bring the whole set alive and same goes with the claw, make the most of this amazing structure, because its far capable of providing more.

Magnificent I guess didnt have a good impact when it opened.

SMB

I loved Magnificent opening when I saw it. But I still wish they played Breathe later in the setlist. I'm not sure which I liked opening. Saw Breathe open 3 times and Magnificent the lone time it opened.

Back
Top Bottom