Does anyone NOT care about seeing them this time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not that hyped

Live Performances of new material so far + stadium shows - multiple arena shows = meh. I will be there for at least one or two shows in the fall and same next summer, but not like I would on an arena trek.

I'm going to try to make it to Chicago, but if that doesn't work out, chances are I'm going to have to wait until next summer. If that's the case, I don't think I'll be as disappointed as I would've been had I not gotten to go to a first leg show for the last tour. I'm looking forward to seeing them at some point on this tour, but my priorities have shifted a lot since 2005, and it won't be the end of the world if I have to wait another year.

I really want to see them- But I hate going to stadium shows and I really dislike this tour idea- It's not that original! Metallica has been doing that for years. I know that and I dont even like Metallica!
I dunno. They are the best live band on the planet on their night. But I don't know If I can drive four hours, pay all the money I have, stay overnight just to get a good spot, put up with stadium settings... Eh. I did that last tour and it came out beautifully but if was all chance. We met just the right people and barely got in the ellipse. It could have turned out terribly and it nearly did!

I'm conflicted! :doh:

by what logic would it have sucked if you hadn't made it into the ellipse?
the music would still be there, you know

I have seen U2 on every tour that came to the US since the Joshua Tree, sometimes multiple shows per tour. I have literally everything they have ever recorded and I would consider myself a "big fan". However, I don't really care about seeing them on this tour. The experience is not going to be worth the inconvenience and expense for me. First of all, the nearest they are playing is a 4 hour drive for me. Second, it's going to cost a buttload. Third, even though I really like the new album, I am not so psyched to hear it live. This brings me to my main reason. I will probably have "seen" or at least "heard" the show online about a dozen times beforehand. I have already seen/heard a bunch of stuff from these recent promo performances and I am like, eh... yeah, that's what I expected. That is what happened with the last tour. I pretty much knew the setlist ahead of time and thanks to the internet, I had heard every show prior to mine. It just wasn't so exciting to be there when the night came, even though they played some great old stuff. I wasn' surprised. I could have gone to the trouble of getting tix for this tour but since I didn't bother, that must tell me it is not worth it to me.

Now if I got to see them in a 1000 seat venue, and the setlist was really good and full of unusual songs, that would be a different story. I'd probably give my left nut to be there then.

Anyone else feeling kind of blah about this upcoming tour?

why don't you go to a show and skip listening online to prior shows...that ways it is new and fresh and exciting when you see it? :shrug: just a thought, but wouldn't that work?

since there is no possible way I'm going to be able to make it to any of the 2009 shows, my interest in this tour is definitely nothing like it has been on the last 3 tours. Chicago is only 6 hours away, and I have a wedding to be in on the 12th. I suppose I could run up to the show they will most likely add on September 13th, but that's a sunday night and unfortunately reality does come crashing down for me every monday morning. I suppose I could not go to work, and so could my wife... but I think my wife thinks I'm nuts for even considering driving 6 hours for a concert!! I made the trek for Vertigo tour, but I also went to 2 Chicago shows in one trip.

I'm not that hyped

Live Performances of new material so far + stadium shows - multiple arena shows = meh. I will be there for at least one or two shows in the fall and same next summer, but not like I would on an arena trek.

Bugger, I guess this means less taping this time then?

TBH I'm never that fired up by the promo tour appearances of any album, but when the tour starts it just seems to light a fire in me all over again.

That being said, I think this has been the worst promo tour they have done in the last 10 years. I loved the Irving Plaza show from 2000. That version of 11 O'Clock is one of my highest played songs on iTunes...

Before you post your usual 'defend U2 at any cost' drivel, you should read the posts you're commenting on. Jon was in no way a 'downer' in his post. He simply shared his feeling as a fan and asked if anyone else feels the same.

I don't agree with him, but that's no reason to discount his opinion.

Why do you keep trying to pin this label on me? And you always do it when I'm not defending ANYTHING...

:crack:

sucks getting old

Best part about getting old? Laughing at immature pricks.

Would that be lil ole me?? Well, I'm glad I made you laugh somehow, even if you are a bit of a dickhead.

Pot calling kettle black! :up:

Look who's talking! :up:

I can't tell if you people are joking or not. :mad:

If you're joking, okay. :happy:

If you're not joking...knock it off and be nice. :mad:

Okay...back to your regularly scheduled thread.

I finally went to my first U2 concert in 2005 after being a fan since 1987. It was an amazing experience, but I doubt if I will be going this time. My financial situation is a bit shaky right now, I don't care for stadium shows, and I didn't feel like paying a U2.com membership fee again just to up my chances of getting something besides nosebleed seats (even though it worked out fine for me last time and I got a GA ticket without any problems.)

The only reason I would want to go again is I like the new album much more than HTDAAB and am dying to hear certain songs live (and the band didn't play "40" at the finale of the show I went to, which I've always wanted to experience in person). Maybe I will change my mind if/when they announce a Minneapolis date and I see what the setlists are like.

Back
Top Bottom