Dell helping out with the technology behind 360

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Belgian company StageCo did actually build it, as seen in the article:

Though U2's touring managers were used to building tailored IT equipment themselves, Dell provided off-the-shelf workstations and monitors already suited to the job. Two workstation-class N6500 Precision notebooks, three rack-mountable R5400 workstations and a number of 27-inch monitors were ultimately used.

The notebooks were used to edit concert footage from the night before, combining with real-time footage to provide footage for the gigantic screen.

interesting read with all the specifics. I'm surprised U2 runs on Windows though. :wink:

Interesting that the tech behind the Unknown Caller singalong FORCE QUIT/AND MOVE TO TRASH! was Windows-powered :lol:.

I would like to see a big BSOD* on the screen :hmm:

(did Brian Eno compose the starttune for Windows XP?)

On a more serious note, I think it's cool they are using readily available hardware, it allows them to get back up and running should something fail. If it was too niche or specialized, it could create delays.

Also, this stuck out:

The notebooks were used to edit concert footage from the night before, combining with real-time footage to provide footage for the gigantic screen.

Perhaps that escaped my notice in previous articles, but this seems to state that the visuals we see on the screens are a mix of previous night's footage with real-time. Cool. I imagine that makes it easier in case there are moments where the real-time shot is less than ideal or whatever...I'm curious as to how they decide which footage from the previous night will be used..do they do it on the fly? Pretty intense decision making there if so!

Back
Top Bottom