Cardiff (Millennium Stadium) vs Sheffield (Don Valley Stadium) - Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Outside of probably Wembley and the Emirates, the Millenium stadium is probably the best for sight lines in the UK.

being from very near sheffield myself:wave:

i can tell ya that the don valley is very spaced out due to it being primarily built as an athletics stadium (even though the sheffield eagles rugby team and rotherham united football club play there) and those wanting seated tickets may want to buy some binoculars (and maybe an umbrella if the weathers like what it was here 2 years ago!:|) but its a decent stadium and there is a good park & ride system in sheffield (ala 'supertram') its literaly next door to the arena if anyones been to that before
il be going hopefully!!:hyper:

Been to Don Valley a few times as its only 15 miles away, not your best to be honest, and theres naff all around it. Ive opted for Amsterdam, going to make a small holiday of it, fly out friday, weekend in Amsterdam, concert Monday, fly home tuesday. Not cheap, but the stadium looks great, it has a roof like the Millenium does, and its in a fantastic city. Sheffields a shit hole. The smaller capacity might mean its a bit more intimate, but think id go for the Millenium because of the roof, concert much better when its dark, but if you can afford it, go to Amsterdam. :wave:

went to see the chilis at don valley and sound quality was terrible. cardiff on the last tour with u2 on the other hand was immense. millennium stadium hands down.

The Cardiff gig in 2005 was immense with the roof closed compared to the first night in Manchester.

As already been stated,stay in a hotel as the traffic is crazy.

I stayed for 2 nights in 2005 and travelled in and out by train,would recommend this to anyone going this time.

Im hopefully doing both this time,but not impressed with the look of the Don Valley Stadium.

Ste

When is the presale for cardiff, anyone know:reject: im a horizon member on u2.com

No info as yet on the site ref presale

Ive seen the 20 th as general sale is this correct too or is that date only for the croke shows.

went to see the chilis at don valley and sound quality was terrible. cardiff on the last tour with u2 on the other hand was immense. millennium stadium hands down.

whereabouts in the stadium were you?

Definately wouldn't go for seating unless binoculars are included in the price but GA should be OK with plenty off them as well. It holds 50,000 and as there are only 15,000 seats that is 35,000 GA's so getting 4 with an Horizon code should be a breeze !!

spot on _ and I now live near here & apparentlythe RHCP concert here was fab so the GA mention is spot on Bring it on Mike:love:

Right, I've decided. As I can only make it to one concert this tour as financially it is straight after my summer holidays coupled with the fact that I can't be arsed travelling too far from home then I'm going for GA's in Sheffield.

Dont Knock Dom Valley Stadium....as potentially....it could have the clearest sound of the whole tour!

That's what I'm hoping for. Nice big open bowl with no big stands for the sound to bounce off. I'm starting to like Sheffield more and more........:drool:

Anybody going to Cardiff I'd recommend one of the many B&Bs/guest houses on Cathedral Road.. they are good value and are a very short walk from the Stadium. I live there so feel free to message me if you need any help.

i'm going to go for Don Valley i think, i was a little suprised though with this choice of venue! I went Manchester last time, that was pretty immense.

i'm going to go for Don Valley i think, i was a little suprised though with this choice of venue! I went Manchester last time, that was pretty immense.

Manchester in August was never going to happen due to the football season having already started by then. Unfortunately that's what happens when your new album gets delayed because you can't finish it on time :down:

Went to Cardiff last time

Has a roof which is good, just makes it feel like a big arena

Sound was very shoddy where I was stood (on the border of the ellipse/bomb shelter and the rest of the GA)

Travelling out by car after the gig is a NIGHTMARE.

I live in South England so I think Cardiff is a tad closer than Sheffield so I will probably go there again this time.

cardiff is not 70 or 80,000 it is 55,000 because in a copy of q magazine it said u2 playing at cardiff on the vertigo tour was one of the biggest audience's of that year.

i went to cardiff vertigo tour and the venue is great. they do shut the roof which also means it can get quite hot, and there were alot of people fainting, but the sound was briliiant.

im going to cardiff again for 360.

Surely the GA access to the lower tier seats at Cardiff will be the ones nearer the back of the stadium ?

Surely the GA access to the lower tier seats at Cardiff will be the ones nearer the back of the stadium ?

those seats are really low anyhow. when i was at vertigo, i could see the GA access seats and they are quite low, you would have a job seeing the band because you are virtually sat as the same height as standing right. and then the seats do go up but not much.

middle tier or upper tier is where you want to go if you want to see, but if you go for GA then go for standing.

and the GA access will be at the or near the front. i doubt it would be at the back, seeing as they are the same price.

also with the GA lower tier, great at a football match, crap at a gig.

I'm thinking of buying tickets in the general sale for the Sheffield gig for me and my parents (all depending on whether my Dad decides he likes the new album!), but am unsure about whether they'd enjoy seating more than standing (last time my Mum went to a standing gig I think it was the Boomtown Rats lol). Anyway, does anyone which seats the £30 ones are likely to be, looking at the stadium map??

I'm thinking of buying tickets in the general sale for the Sheffield gig for me and my parents (all depending on whether my Dad decides he likes the new album!), but am unsure about whether they'd enjoy seating more than standing (last time my Mum went to a standing gig I think it was the Boomtown Rats lol). Anyway, does anyone which seats the £30 ones are likely to be, looking at the stadium map??

trying to find out the same myself for Sheffield or Glasgow.

And whether the GA will have access to seats in these places - if so where these seats would be.

where do you park at Don Valley?
can you leave your car at Meadowhall and walk?

cardiff is not 70 or 80,000 it is 55,000 because in a copy of q magazine it said u2 playing at cardiff on the vertigo tour was one of the biggest audience's of that year.

i went to cardiff vertigo tour and the venue is great. they do shut the roof which also means it can get quite hot, and there were alot of people fainting, but the sound was briliiant.

im going to cardiff again for 360.

There were 63,000 in (according to Billboard) on Vertigo. The figure will be higher this time with them selling seats all round the stadium - assuming health and safety allow a higher figure for a concert. A crowd of 75,000 - 80,000 seems a reasonable estimate if we factor in 65,000 - 70,000 or so in the seats and up to about 10,000 on the pitch.

Back
Top Bottom