Cameras: Just an Opinion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enggirl

Acrobat
This is likely to get me flamed mightily, but I want to throw something out there:

How about laying off the cameras and camera phones for a bit during the show? (bear with me here)

I've been to only 4 U2 shows in the past 17 years, and I have to say that technology, in a way, is "ruining" the live-show experience. Bands can't ban cameras anymore because everyone has them on their phones. And now the audience spends the whole show snapping pics and filming! I took pics during Vertigo but thought to myself "You know, I'm here to see this live, NOT to revlive it later" and would turn off the camera for spans of time. But I felt myself getting caught up in that hype of needing to take pics because I was allowed. And I love the photos I have now... but sometimes I look at them and realize that I remember a moment only because I took a pic of it, not because I have a "pure" memory of it. And that's kind of sad.

Last week, wathcing the Fordham show on GMA, it came to me that it's getting worse. EVERYONE had their hands up ... holding a camera or camera phone. After the first or second song, a few of the kids put their phones away and put their hands up to wave to the music and punch their fists in the air--you know, that thing that the band thrives off of called audience participation. I'm wondering how many bands feel like they're playing to a bank of cameramen rather than a crowd of live people.

Do those of you who've taken pics at recent shows feel that the camera has gotten in the way of your enjoyment of the show? Are any of you annoyed--either for yourself or for the band--that cameras are so prevalent at live shows? Do you think they affect the quality of the show that a band puts on? I'm really curious....

I agree 100%. I always bring a camera but I rarely use it. The pictures don't do the show justice and the video clips on my camera aren't as cool as the dvd's :lol: I just find I enjoy the shows more when I'm in the moment. The band wants to engage with the audience and how can they do that when everyone is watchig the show on a mini screen.

I completely agree. Get a few pictures and put your phone/camera away. Unless of course your a source for the setlist party :flirt:

I will take a camera but in all likelyhood use it pre and post show and maybe one or two during the show.

The majority of camera-phone pics and footage I have seen from gigs has been inaudible and crap and utterly useless in hindsight. Its todays culture though, a lot of people want the photos to shove on their social networking sites to PROOVE to other people they're having a great life. Particularly with people around my age (19) they can't go anywhere without whipping out there mobiles, shoving it up in the air and taking this weird brids-eye view type photo of themselves pulling some utterly retarded pose.

People pay the money and can do whatever they want at shows, fair enough. I will take a couple of photos but won't be there for two hours with my mobile in the air. I will actually be AT the show, not logging it for future reference.

GOOD TOPIC enggirl

Totally agree. It's the biggest gripe I have about being in the GA. Every time a band member walked by on the ramp hundreds of arms go up and flashes go off ruining the live experience. Seriously - enjoy the moment, take a pic or two, but is there really a need to document every nano-second of the show??

Memories are always better than a crappy pixilated photo with bad lighting.

I'm not going to be gabbing on my phone or taking 30 million pictures. But I have friends who I would like to call during some songs so they could listen in. And I would like to take some pictures to have. It's a fun time and experience, I'd like to have my own photo memories of it.

OH! And don't get me started on the people who CALL their friends on the phone during the show to tell them how awesome it is! (I about brained some asshat teenager at the *final* American Idiot show a few years back--she spent half the show yammering on the phone about 2 feet away from me.)

I took a lot of photos last time and this time I'm planning to only bring a pocket camera for snapping pics with friends in line. The main reason is my new camera is the type that has never been allowed on the floor (except for people with media credentials). Also I found that last time I spent a lot of shows watching through a lens when the band was in spitting distance. Photography is becoming somewhat of an obsession for me and I don't want two competing obsessions at the same time, lol. I'm happy with the photos I took last time, I took them for my own enjoyment, but this time I'm leaving it behind. I don't have a cell phone so that's not an issue.

Especially at the big shows, it's getting to the point where I want to tap someone on the shoulder and tell them to enjoy themselves now rather than have all their memories digitally confined.

Would be cool if Bono asked people to put their cameras away. Given that most audiences act like trained seals, they might actually listen.

On a side note, I met Michael Stipe once and talked about this very subject! He said what you might expect: "Put the camera down."

I'm not going to be gabbing on my phone or taking 30 million pictures. But I have friends who I would like to call during some songs so they could listen in. And I would like to take some pictures to have. It's a fun time and experience, I'd like to have my own photo memories of it.

Sorry! We posted at the same time and I didn't mean for my post to be a response to/comment on yours. It was just a coincidence.

I've experienced multiple concerts where a person, who was seeing the concert with me, took pictures/shot videos all the time. I also took A LOT of pics at one concert, but I have to say, it does ruin your live experience by quite a bit. Of course you want to take some pics/videos that you made, so maybe I'd take like 5 pics or so. But other than that, I want to experience the show fully, and watch pics/videos from other people afterwards if I would still want that :shrug: I did experience however that taking some photos with your camera has less 'negative impact' than taking pics with a 'real' camera. You put your phone away easier than a camera, or so my thoughts are.

Yeah I barely take pics during concerts and events. I usually bring a camera and just take a few pics of the stage before the show and a few pics during the show. Pictures just don't do the experience justice. I'd rather enjoy the show while I'm there and not miss stuff by constantly fumbling with my camera. :wave:

Ooooooo! This topic is SO much bigger than just cameras.
We now live in a world where too many people can't enjoy just being in the moment. They are in a hurry to make/take a memory and move on and not truly drink in the deeper experience. Incessant picture taking can just be a symptom of this.
I'll throw in the morons who talk on the phone during the whole show. "Dude, I'm at f*cking U2! It's awesome! Oh yeah they're awesome! You should totally be here!"

Everyone, put down the camera and/or phone every now and then and enjoy the show! Take it in, remember it and then savor it later.

Mark

Especially at the big shows, it's getting to the point where I want to tap someone on the shoulder and tell them to enjoy themselves now rather than have all their memories digitally confined.

Would be cool if Bono asked people to put their cameras away. Given that most audiences act like trained seals, they might actually listen.

On a side note, I met Michael Stipe once and talked about this very subject! He said what you might expect: "Put the camera down."

Totally. My beef with this started *years* ago on a trip to, of all places, Mt. Rushmore. Lines of people stood at the entrance filming the mountain. I wanted to ask them if they thought the heads were going to talk! People can't seem to have experiences without recording them to make them "real."

And I would LOVE if Bono would do that.

We now live in a world where too many people can't enjoy just being in the moment. They are in a hurry to make/take a memory and move on and not truly drink in the deeper experience. Incessant picture taking can just be a symptom of this.
I'll throw in the morons who talk on the phone during the whole show. "Dude, I'm at f*cking U2! It's awesome! Oh yeah they're awesome! You should totally be here!

Everyone, put down the camera and/or phone every now and then and enjoy the show! Take it in, remember it and then savor it later.

Mark

You're right. A LOT of people nowadays don't even truly listen to the music anymore and don't even feel the vibe of being in an arena/stadium with all those other people. When a show hasn't even started, some people already start talking constantly to each other without even catching a glimpse of just the serenity and ambiance around them. To those people, I would say, lighten up, enjoy yourselves by really being there instead of semi-being there!!

I'll throw in the morons who talk on the phone during the whole show. "Dude, I'm at f*cking U2! It's awesome! Oh yeah they're awesome! You should totally be here!"

Mark

Totally agree:D
I went to a concert once where the two people in front of me were texting on their blackberries the whole time. Like WTF??:angry:

Brilliant!

I'm So, SO glad to hear someone else say what you've (so eloquently) said. Sure, people are excited and want to capture a "special" event in their lives on camera. Perhaps it's because people are aware they're seeing an historic band, in the flesh - and they want to be able to say, one day, "I was there." I understand that desire.

But I'm with you - I think the "capturing" has taken the place of the "experiencing" a bit too much for my taste.

When I watched the audience at Fordham, I had to wonder if anyone was actually feeling in-the-moment, letting go of the steering wheel, and letting the (unrepeatable on film) *emotions* happen to them.... or if they were just thinking, "Wait 'til my friends see what I posted on my (insert social networking site) page."

Maybe it's like sex. You could make your own X video which might well turn you on later, and you'll certainly be able to say... "gosh I looked good, didn't I?" But what does it do for the actual activity WHILE you're doing it? Are you enjoying it just as much? (OK, you exhibitionists, it's just an analogy to make a point)

If I'm close enough, I'm going to want a few pictures, I won't have a camera out the whole time, although if I can get some of my favorites in HD video it'd be worth it.

Obviously I'm going to enjoy it live, but what's the harm in revisiting it, or better yet sharing with the fine folks around here.

...can we add to this the issue with people getting wasted (either booze or drugs) for a show? Um, why spend so freaking much $$$ to treat it like a night out at a bar? Plus, it's so damn annoying when someone a few feet away is lit and belligerent. A friend of my sister ended up in the "medical corner" or wherever during a Vertigo show because her husband got trashed. Personally, I would've left the idiot to stew on that alone and gone to enjoy the show by myself!

If I'm close enough, I'm going to want a few pictures, I won't have a camera out the whole time, although if I can get some of my favorites in HD video it'd be worth it.

Obviously I'm going to enjoy it live, but what's the harm in revisiting it, or better yet sharing with the fine folks around here.

No, it's not about a couple of pics. It's standing behind the crowd and all you see is the blue of the the tiny camera screens rather than fists in the air and hands clapping and people jumping up and down. U2 (esp. Bono) THRIVE on that, and I wonder if it sucks for them as much as it sucks for some of us that so many audiences now spend the whole show viewing it through a tiny personal tv.

...can we add to this the issue with people getting wasted (either booze or drugs) for a show? Um, why spend so freaking much $$$ to treat it like a night out at a bar?

Not even close. I enjoy taking photos, and can enjoy them for years later. Everyone wants to see photos and video of the concert anyway, so it's a bit hypocritical.

It's all a trend of hypermediacy - people using the camera-medium to relive the scene, even though that experience ALREADY starts whilst being at an event. For me, personally, it's hard to imagine people actually being able to experience a show fully. Of course it's nice to have pics/videos, afterwards, but these are also distributed by officials. Again, afterwards. No point in everyone having out their phones/cameras all the time during an event. That's not what a concert is for.

...can we add to this the issue with people getting wasted (either booze or drugs) for a show? Um, why spend so freaking much $$$ to treat it like a night out at a bar? Plus, it's so damn annoying when someone a few feet away is lit and belligerent. A friend of my sister ended up in the "medical corner" or wherever during a Vertigo show because her husband got trashed. Personally, I would've left the idiot to stew on that alone and gone to enjoy the show by myself!

I agree, I'm a pretty straightedge person myself, so I don't identify with people that want to do that to themselves, but especially so at a concert.

It's all a trend of hypermediacy - people using the camera-medium to relive the scene, even though that experience ALREADY starts whilst being at an event. For me, personally, it's hard to imagine people actually being able to experience a show fully. Of course it's nice to have pics/videos, afterwards, but these are also distributed by officials. Again, afterwards. No point in everyone having out their phones/cameras all the time during an event. That's not what a concert is for.

For me, whenever I look back at the pictures from the show I took, I get a silly smile on my face remembering it. This may sound stupid, but those 2+ hours I saw them has been the only period of time in my life where I was truly and completely happy with no outside emotions conflicting with it. I'd never experienced that before and I doubt I will again. Forgive me for wanting to have memories of that show.

I'm not going to tell anyone they can't take pictures or video... to each his own.

But I do think it kills some of the energy. I think, anymore, to get this kind of "not-everyone-is-recording" experience, you have to see a passionate but as-yet unknown artist play to a crowd to who don't yet KNOW that they should be recording the experience for later. And hey, I've seen emerging bands play shows that blew my socks off, and I WISHED I had them on video later, but instead I have to rely on my own, aging memories.

Weird paradox, huh?

No, it's not about a couple of pics. It's standing behind the crowd and all you see is the blue of the the tiny camera screens rather than fists in the air and hands clapping and people jumping up and down. U2 (esp. Bono) THRIVE on that, and I wonder if it sucks for them as much as it sucks for some of us that so many audiences now spend the whole show viewing it through a tiny personal tv.

Granted you can't prevent people from bringing in phones, but you can ban cameras, that's at artists' discretion, and U2 doesn't. I see what you're saying, but I've never had a show ruined by too many people using cameras, some here and there but not everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom