Bono voice highligt 360 campign!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
His falsetto sounds awful, which is a shame because it was what moved me the most when at its peak (see 'Lemon', 'Your Blue Room', 'Can't Help Falling in Love' etc.). It was so haunting. Extraordinary, really.

Virtually the entire Milan I concert is a highlight.

In A Little While, Beautiful Day, Magnificent, City of Blinding Lights especially.

EDIT: Ultraviolet

EDIT2: Moment of Surrender

bono is sounding good but anyone notice he cant sing those high breeeeeeaaaaaaths in breath or the feeeeeeels in vertigo - he just seems to yell then to bad because he was really hitting those high eeeeeeee notes live on the promo tour (example the performance on letterman)

bono is sounding good but anyone notice he cant sing those high breeeeeeaaaaaaths in breath or the feeeeeeels in vertigo - he just seems to yell then to bad because he was really hitting those high eeeeeeee notes live on the promo tour (example the performance on letterman)

Those are high notes and Im pretty sure that he can hit those without problems. But there are lot more notes to hit in the show so he have to save his voice for the other songs :)

Wow, just listened to the Milan 1 bootleg... incredible. The control he has over his voice now has got to be better than ever. There is just so much intricacy to the singing throughout the show (Stand By Me, IALW and MLK are gorgeous). Not to mention the clarity, strength, and tone. I disagree with the complaints about his falsetto too. He's actually singing with it now, as opposed to just making sounds, which I don't think has really been the case since Popmart.

All in all, for me, his voice is at its all-time best (or at least most enjoyable).

Wow, just listened to the Milan 1 bootleg... incredible. The control he has over his voice now has got to be better than ever. There is just so much intricacy to the singing throughout the show (Stand By Me, IALW and MLK are gorgeous). Not to mention the clarity, strength, and tone. I disagree with the complaints about his falsetto too. He's actually singing with it now, as opposed to just making sounds, which I don't think has really been the case since Popmart.

All in all, for me, his voice is at its all-time best (or at least most enjoyable).

Agreed.

Why do people like his voice from Lovetown when he's shouting and not singing?

This is where the "Kermit voice" description arose. Often, to hit a note, Bono would create another falsetto - one that had that Kermit the Frog sound to it. I call it a "fake opera" voice. In a very short dose (like a note or two), that voice actually works really well. But overused, it just sounds fake. Still, this was what Bono had to use to reach those notes night after night. In the studio, he could do a full open throat voice. In concert, he was forced to create other voices to sing.

Compared to one night on the Vertigo tour his falsetto is stronger but weaker in the general picture. It can either be strong or weak.

Falsettos come and go. Bono couldn't always hit the falsetto in the JT or R&H era either. We have several famous examples, one being the show from the special edition of JT, where Bono will either just not sing, have his voice break or ask the audience to sing as he will openly admit he can't hit the note right then.

Again, in a studio, one can do many takes, rest a voice and hit that note. But in concert, there's one shot. If one's voice isn't up to it, alternatives arise. That means either using a weaker falsetto, lowering the falsetto, dropping that section, having the audience sing, etc.

My point is that Bono's vocals now are probably as good as they've been since the ZOO TV tour (from '93 to '02 he was off far too many times and clearly was having some vocal issues). His voice returned more with the Vertigo tour and has continued. But to glorify the UF, JT, Lovetown or ZOO TV era voices too much is also erroneous. I watched a FOX special on ZOO TV. Bono's voice was wrecked for "Mysterious Ways". Yet on the famous Sydney version of that song is brilliant. In other words, on any given night, you might see something magical, or you might just have to enjoy what you get. Given that U2 have so many great songs, even if Bono is not 100%, he's still great.

This is my last point - Bono is a good singer - not great. We shouldn't expect Pavarotti. At the same time, Bono is so good that he's light years ahead of similar artists, who have weaker voices, less range, limited falsettos, etc. Bono's voice is a big part of what made me a big U2 fan many years ago and his voice has kept me one to this day. :yes:

Bono's voice on the first milan concert blows anything he did on the vetigo tour away, IMO, and every snippet i have heard from the tour so far things seem to be going great :up:

This is my last point - Bono is a good singer - not great. We shouldn't expect Pavarotti.

Actually, I was listening to a Pavarotti recording the other day and was surprised by just how off key he was. He strikes me as being the Bud Light or Four-X of opera singers - over-promoted, but not very good.

But anyway, that's just me. I never thought Bono could sing that well either, but it doesn't mean I don't like his voice.

I've been in one or several concerts in every tour from the Joshua Tree onwards and I was in Barcelona 2 a week ago, I think Bono's voice now is in one of the best moments of his career, I understand the enthusiasm for the ZooTv tour, but I can recall him having vocal problems in some of the legs (not that surprising if you check the monstruosity of the tour), the other day he was singing easily and consistently through out the gig, his only problem was with some falsettos, but not all of them, he was amazing in The Unforgettable Fire, for example, the performance of MLK was the best I've watched, Ultraviolet was excellent, they closed with Moment of Surrender perfectly sang and in its key, even With Or Without you was better sung than in the last 15 years (although I think they should get back to the original arrangement, I'm sure he can sing it now, or drop the song).

Bono's voice was absolutely incredible in Milan. I don't know what he did or how he did it, but it's the best I've heard him sounding in years, especially during the slower songs. He has so much soul and emotion in his voice, still much control and technique. Great job.

u guys think the is milan is better then the japan shows on the 5th leg of the vertigo tour. For me those japan shows may have been the best I have heard him sing. He even pulled of wowoy really well

u guys think the is milan is better then the japan shows on the 5th leg of the vertigo tour. For me those japan shows may have been the best I have heard him sing. He even pulled of wowoy really well

He was great on the 5th leg, but he is better now. His operatic voice and the falsetto is stronger now and he also got more raw power when he belting out the notes.

He was great on the 5th leg, but he is better now. His operatic voice and the falsetto is stronger now and he also got more raw power when he belting out the notes.

Absolutely. I just wish he'd use his opera voice a bit more. He gave us a little taste in Magnificent in Milan 1, and that is possibly his single best vocal moment ever. His opera voice has come a long way since 2002... it's pretty incredible and beyond competent now.

Absolutely. I just wish he'd use his opera voice a bit more. He gave us a little taste in Magnificent in Milan 1, and that is possibly his single best vocal moment ever. His opera voice has come a long way since 2002... it's pretty incredible and beyond competent now.

I think there will be more of his operatic voice, it could be realy intressting if he used it in songs like WOWY.

By the way, I did an little update on my site :) A new audio file is uploaded.

I thought they were rehearsing Ave Maria to end the show - that could be a nice opera moment for Bono - they should play it

I think he could even pull off singing Lemon. That song would definitely fit into the 360 show.

Ha, I wish. Bono's lower/middle range is as strong as it's been since ZooTV (a highly overrated tour vocally, but still far and away better than the past few), but the falsetto still has a long way to go. Just listen to the Barc 2 version of Electrical Storm. That said, there have been signs of improvement, certainly over the Popmart and Elevation tours, where Bono's falsetto was almost nonexistent.

Ha, I wish. Bono's lower/middle range is as strong as it's been since ZooTV (a highly overrated tour vocally, but still far and away better than the past few), but the falsetto still has a long way to go. Just listen to the Barc 2 version of Electrical Storm. That said, there have been signs of improvement, certainly over the Popmart and Elevation tours, where Bono's falsetto was almost nonexistent.

On Popmart his falsetto was still strong.

Back
Top Bottom