Bono is a crappy guitar player...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have no problem singing and playing but Bono might, some people just can't.
I couldn't when I started playing, but it got easier as I worked on it. I can't play any intricate rhythms, but I don't have any problem singing and strumming eighth or quarter notes, which is all the lead singer should have to do.

I kept being reminded of this thread as I finished rereading "U2 by U2". Countless times in the book, I've read that Bono would share ideas with Edge and the others by showing them on guitar, piano, and sometimes even bass. It mentions guitar especially, even giving Edge the ideas for major guitar parts. I suppose with Bono on stage it could be a case of singing and playing at the same time, and being distracted by everything going on around him.

Bono's really only playing a support role as a second guitarist. It isn't really necessary with most songs, but adds a little something extra.

The answer is somewhere in between. Bono is not a fantastic composer. Bono is not a crappy guitar player. He is a decent guitar player who can't play while singing and can once in a while contribute a good idea to a song that Edge is writing.

^^ He doesn't have to be good though. Most of the time he's playing little more than a few basic chords. You don't have to be good to play most of what he plays on stage.

Some of it could be necessary, though. Like some parts where he needs to play some basic chords while Edge is playing something else, my best example would be the chorus and intro of Walk On, when Edge is playing the riff and Bono is playing the rhythm chords (but he only did it on the Elevation Tour).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom