Bit of a Marketing scam for the fans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keano016

Babyface
U2 anounces only few concert dates. And when they are announced they are in off times so that hard core fans do not mind and still go. For example, Boston is on Sunday then NYC is on Thursday. People would prefer Friday or Saturday but what the hell, take what you can get it is U2.

And then what happens, 2nd shows are announced, Boston probably will be Saturday, NYC will be Friday. Now it is a weekend day, more people will be able to make it, and voila, 2nd shows are sold out.

Yet, for the true hard core fans who got memberships and went ahead to buy tickets on the first concert date will be stuck with midweek/sunday dates.

Am I right in my assessment of U2 marketing plan or am I way off?

yay for chicago on saturday!

seriously, though, putting these four dates on sale before the rest of the tour is officially announced with dates and everything? wow...i can't even think of words to describe my thoughts about it.

That happens with almost every band when the add dates. They're not going to sell out the good date and put a less desirable date on sale later.

Sounds about right to me!
Not to knock the lads or their peeps:shifty: but it seems rather strategic in that exact way. The hardcores will buy whatever day is offered, probably the ticket-scalping cabals will too, figuring this is going to be the hottest ticket of the year so no worries about day-of-the-week, and then the word will be out and all over and the second shows on the choicer evenings will also fill. Probably many of the hardest hard-core will buy what they can for the second shows as well, seeing as they've traveled all that way already in some cases. What I find amazing is how many nosebleeds they need to fill in those stadiums! I guess at 30 bucks a pop it'll feel like a huge bargain to people who are just looking for a cool outing on a friday night. I wish I could get more into that mentality lol, but it's U2! So I become obsessed with seating or GA or how many tix to buy and on and on and on and on....did I just see some quote from Bono somewhere where he says that compared to the making of music, the selling of music is shit?! Yeah, the selling is shit for them, and the arranging to be present is shit for the fan...all for the sake of having the incredible experience. Worrying about the details, which I have trouble avoiding, takes away the grace of it all:crack:
cheers!

Well, to be honest, if I really want to go and see U2 perform I don't care if it's on a weekday or weekend. I have to take days off anyway because I have to travel there, even if it's a Saturday. On the other hand, if they are playing a weekday in my city, I don't need to travel and don't need to take a day off, unless I want to get into GA queue in the morning. Personally, I even prefer weekday shows, because they are not sold out so quickly.

And U2 cannot announce concert dates only on weekends, the tour would last 3 years if they did.
Sometimes, logistical problems get in the way, like stadiums not being available on weekends and such.

That happens with almost every band when the add dates. They're not going to sell out the good date and put a less desirable date on sale later.

Yep, it's a common strategy. And it makes sense, because if you already have tickets to the preferred date, a lot of people wouldn't go trough the hassle of getting tickets for the otherdate in the general sale.

Every single extra show U2 have added on this tour in a particular city has been on the night AFTER the previous show in that city.

I would guess any additional Boston show would be on the Monday, and an extra New York show on the Friday.

Guys let's face it - U2 from a business standpoint has always done some of the most brilliantly strategic stuff when it comes to marketing themselves and their shows. Love him or hate him, McGuinness borders on genius and the band members aren't dummies either.

This is no different to me than the early years when they would deliberately book themselves into tiny venues knowing it would sell out in order to generate further hype and more demand for their next time through that city.

Hard to find fault with good business practice, it allows them the freedom to do what they do ie make some of the best music the world has ever known. And they do it well :yes:

I had a Horizon code and used it for 2 to Chicago and 2 to NY. My wife has a Boots presale and we're holding onto it for the added shows. Risky? Yes. But reward? Probably.

Guys let's face it - U2 from a business standpoint has always done some of the most brilliantly strategic stuff when it comes to marketing themselves and their shows. Love him or hate him, McGuinness borders on genius and the band members aren't dummies either.

This is no different to me than the early years when they would deliberately book themselves into tiny venues knowing it would sell out in order to generate further hype and more demand for their next time through that city.

Hard to find fault with good business practice, it allows them the freedom to do what they do ie make some of the best music the world has ever known. And they do it well :yes:

Just to be clear, I agree!
It just serves to make me a little insane...generating excitement among the general public tends to cause a bit of frenzy among the already-excited and inherently-anxious types like me!:ohmy:
cheers all!

This is a common "strategy" used by many many bands since the days of big tours...

Absolutely nothing new.

Why couldn't U2 just make the weekend 5 days long? Those slimy bastards!!!

Weak conspiracy theory :down:

The reason I've held out from buying tickets to the Giants Stadium show is because I'm pretty certain that they'll add a Friday show.

I'm not so sure that the 2nd Foxboro show will be on the preceding Saturday, though. Plus, Sunday shows aren't so bad. I would contend that they are better than Friday shows. At least on Sunday you have the whole day to get to the venue.

its not like u2, live nation, or even blackberry own these things called stadiums where these concerts are going to be held. There is this thing called a "sporting event" that they are going to have to plan around, given that they are playing in (in the USA anyway) football stadiums during football season. Add to that the logistics of setting up and tearing down the sets and what you get is what you get.

This makes me realize how crazy I am to fly from the middle of Texas to Chicago because the two Texas dates are both on week nights and I don't want to miss two days of school.

This makes me realize how crazy I am to fly from the middle of Texas to Chicago because the two Texas dates are both on week nights and I don't want to miss two days of school.

My senior year in HS I drove to Houston from San Antonio to see ZooTV and then back that night to go to school the next day...

I was dog tired, but well worth it...

Every single extra show U2 have added on this tour in a particular city has been on the night AFTER the previous show in that city.

Yep. Instances of U2 having the extra date prior to the first announced date are extremely rare and I can only think of two or three examples off the top of my head.

The extra Boston date will be the 21st of September; the 22nd is not entirely out of the question.

THE usa shows that went on sale are the teasers to get the PR machine up and running. If they dont sell out then they might limit markets like Raleigh etc. If they do sell out then the momemtum to release more dates works in U2 favor. I know they are scared the stadiums wont sell out like Popmart. And they canceled Raleigh due to less then 50% of tickets sold. They will sell out in Boston NY and Chicago and they will add more shows. that is why I have not participated in any presales except Chicago 1. I will wait to see entire lineup of dates and buy weekends when they go on sale. Lets just hope they are as kind as they have been in Europe with Presales for all the shows.
Also keeping fingers crossed for Raleigh. Not seeing much to confirm but do know that NCState is not playing at home that weekend. Would have rather it been at Duke as the stadium is smaller.
Also how many bands like u2 need to go on Letterman for 5 days at this point in their career unless they are worried about selling tickets. Rolling Stones never had to do that. Also Stones mixed in small venues as well during stadium trek. It is big gamble with economy and most seats being $250.
Wonder what the average take is for a sold out stadium. 60,000 tickets at average price of 125 is a cool 7.5 million a night. 50 shows equals small amount in these economic times $375,000,000
Maybe the USA government should tax concerts at 90% to help out during tough times... LOL>
:applaud:

Last edited:
Yep. Instances of U2 having the extra date prior to the first announced date are extremely rare and I can only think of two or three examples off the top of my head.

The extra Boston date will be the 21st of September; the 22nd is not entirely out of the question.

The 21st is my birthday so i hope its that date if they add another date. :drool:

:pray:

:reject::lol:

THE usa shows that went on sale are the teasers to get the PR machine up and running. If they dont sell out then they might limit markets like Raleigh etc. If they do sell out then the momemtum to release more dates works in U2 favor. I know they are scared the stadiums wont sell out like Popmart. And they canceled Raleigh due to less then 50% of tickets sold. They will sell out in Boston NY and Chicago and they will add more shows. that is why I have not participated in any presales except Chicago 1. I will wait to see entire lineup of dates and buy weekends when they go on sale. Lets just hope they are as kind as they have been in Europe with Presales for all the shows.
Also keeping fingers crossed for Raleigh. Not seeing much to confirm but do know that NCState is not playing at home that weekend. Would have rather it been at Duke as the stadium is smaller.
Also how many bands like u2 need to go on Letterman for 5 days at this point in their career unless they are worried about selling tickets. Rolling Stones never had to do that. Also Stones mixed in small venues as well during stadium trek. It is big gamble with economy and most seats being $250.
Wonder what the average take is for a sold out stadium. 60,000 tickets at average price of 125 is a cool 7.5 million a night. 50 shows equals small amount in these economic times $375,000,000
Maybe the USA government should tax concerts at 90% to help out during tough times... LOL>
:applaud:

Wow, this is full of so much misinformation, I wouldn't know where to start...

You thought Letterman was about the tour?

You think most seats are 250?

Management is also going to let the media run wild with "this may be u2 last tour" to sell tickets to foolish people in markets outside of chicago,boston, new york, watch and see.

clearly "most" seats is an overstatement, but a surprising amount were in chicago for sure...250 lower level all the way to the back wall of the bowl almost, gee! 250 club level similarly, wow. That's a whole bunch of 250 seats!
I don't think anyone is desperate but what's not to worry about in times like these for selling a totally discretionary purchase (for some people that is:wink:)? Even just 100 bucks will get you MickeyD's coffee every day for 3 months ya know.

It's funny because every tour, people complain about how tickets are sold, prices, venues, dates, etc, etc. Then after the show is over, the same person says how much they loved it and had such a great time. Isn't that all that matters? The system is not perfect and it never will be. Before the days of the internet, we had to sleep overnight on a sidewalk to wait for our tickets.

clearly "most" seats is an overstatement, but a surprising amount were in chicago for sure...250 lower level all the way to the back wall of the bowl almost, gee! 250 club level similarly, wow. That's a whole bunch of 250 seats!
I don't think anyone is desperate but what's not to worry about in times like these for selling a totally discretionary purchase (for some people that is:wink:)? Even just 100 bucks will get you MickeyD's coffee every day for 3 months ya know.

Anybody have a seating chart?

It's funny because every tour, people complain about how tickets are sold, prices, venues, dates, etc, etc. Then after the show is over, the same person says how much they loved it and had such a great time. Isn't that all that matters? The system is not perfect and it never will be. Before the days of the internet, we had to sleep overnight on a sidewalk to wait for our tickets.

:up: You got it. But yeah, it's not like people will stop bitching about it.

Some just bitch for the sake of bitching.

I dont see the point in bitching about the facts. They are marketing geniuses and you can choose to support it by buying some of the overpriced tickets or even bidding for red zone tickets with your concious doing ok because "some" of the money is going to charity OR you can simply boycott the whole thing and wait for a bootleg to become available. They have a 360° stage , which means ????? well it means they sell more tickets cos hey ppl will pay to see them even from behind (does it revolve ?). If your good at sums i would even go as far as to to say they will be making double the money for each gig if you include the lets say 10 to 14,000 they can now sell because its 360 plus 4000 (estimate) red zone going to the highest bidder.

Less shows = more money = GENIUS

did i bitch ? whatever

Back
Top Bottom